Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Roasted potatoes

I'm having a boneless pork roast tomorrow night and I'd like to have roasted
potatoes with it. I've done it before but with less than satisfactory results.
I'd like potatoes that are nice and crispy on the outside. I Googled and saw
recipes where the oven was, up to in one case, 500 degrees. I obviously can't
cook them the same time as the roast in those temps. I only have one oven (wish
I had a double). Short of letting the roast sit getting cool while cooking the
potatoes, do I have any options? Also, a nice recipe for roasted potatoes maybe?
Thanks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Nov 6, 9:08 am, wrote:
> I'm having a boneless pork roast tomorrow night and I'd like to have roasted
> potatoes with it. I've done it before but with less than satisfactory results.
> I'd like potatoes that are nice and crispy on the outside. I Googled and saw
> recipes where the oven was, up to in one case, 500 degrees. I obviously can't
> cook them the same time as the roast in those temps. I only have one oven (wish
> I had a double). Short of letting the roast sit getting cool while cooking the
> potatoes, do I have any options? Also, a nice recipe for roasted potatoes maybe?
> Thanks.

Roasted potato wedges should work nicely. Cook whole russet potatoes
(with oiled skins) along with the roast pork at 325 - 350°F. Remove
the pork when it's done, let it rest on a cutting board tented with
foil. Crank the oven up to its highest temp. Holding them with a
towel, carefully cut the potatoes into 4 or 6 lengthwise wedges,
Sprinkle with olive oil, salt, pepper, and chopped rosemary or thyme.
Put in a baking pan back into the oven. By the time you've made the
gravy from the pork roast drippings, say 10 or so minutes, the
potatoes will be crisped up and the roast will have rested properly.
Personally, I cook the potatoes in the toaster oven while the roast is
cooking at the lower temp in the big oven. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 06 Nov 2010 13:08:36 -0400, wrote:

> I'm having a boneless pork roast tomorrow night and I'd like to have roasted
> potatoes with it. I've done it before but with less than satisfactory results.
> I'd like potatoes that are nice and crispy on the outside. I Googled and saw
> recipes where the oven was, up to in one case, 500 degrees. I obviously can't
> cook them the same time as the roast in those temps. I only have one oven (wish
> I had a double). Short of letting the roast sit getting cool while cooking the
> potatoes, do I have any options? Also, a nice recipe for roasted potatoes maybe?
> Thanks.

I roast my roasted potatoes at high heat and on a cookie sheet so they
aren't stacked, but DD does hers exactly the way you need to cook
yours. She does it in a regular oven, so whatever setting it is (say
350º) and in a casserole dish. They're just piled in! I don't think
she even turns them... maybe once at the most. She gives them about
an hour. Starts off with red skinned potatoes cuts them into good
sized chunks, coats them with olive oil, chopped fresh rosemary and I
think she may add garlic. I would. Anyway, they turn out all crispy
and brown... even the ones on the bottom. You could have knocked me
over with a feather! If you're interested, I'll email her and ask if
she has a recipe she can send.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> I'm having a boneless pork roast tomorrow night and I'd like to have
> roasted
> potatoes with it. I've done it before but with less than satisfactory
> results.
> I'd like potatoes that are nice and crispy on the outside. I Googled and
> saw
> recipes where the oven was, up to in one case, 500 degrees. I obviously
> can't
> cook them the same time as the roast in those temps. I only have one oven
> (wish
> I had a double). Short of letting the roast sit getting cool while cooking
> the
> potatoes, do I have any options? Also, a nice recipe for roasted potatoes
> maybe?
> Thanks.

I don't usually use a recipe. I cut the potatoes into fairly small pieces,
toss with olive oil or olive oil and a mixture of butter and some
seasonings. Italian seasonings work well. You can add parmesan cheese if
you like. I find that a coating of sweet Hungarian paprika on the outside
really helps to crisp them. I also usually add a ton of onion cut in
smallish chunks. I also add salt and pepper. Recently saw a similar recipe
that used shallots.

I usually cook at 350 but the key is to turn them over at least once while
baking. I let them bake for at least an hour.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 6, 3:12*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> > wrote in message

> > I'm having a boneless pork roast tomorrow night and I'd like to have
> > roasted
> > potatoes with it. I've done it before but with less than satisfactory
> > results.
> > I'd like potatoes that are nice and crispy on the outside. I Googled and
> > saw
> > recipes where the oven was, up to in one case, 500 degrees. I obviously
> > can't
> > cook them the same time as the roast in those temps. I only have one oven
> > (wish
> > I had a double). Short of letting the roast sit getting cool while cooking
> > the
> > potatoes, do I have any options? Also, a nice recipe for roasted potatoes
> > maybe?
> > Thanks.

> I don't usually use a recipe. *I cut the potatoes into fairly small pieces,
> toss with olive oil or olive oil and a mixture of butter and some
> seasonings. *Italian seasonings work well. *You can add parmesan cheese if
> you like. *I find that a coating of sweet Hungarian paprika on the outside
> really helps to crisp them. *I also usually add a ton of onion cut in
> smallish chunks. *I also add salt and pepper. Recently saw a similar recipe
> that used shallots.
>
> I usually cook at 350 but the key is to turn them over at least once while
> baking. *I let them bake for at least an hour.

Parmesan cheese? Wouldn't that make them less crispy? e.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
j h j h is offline

Precook the potatoes in a pressure cooker until no more than barely
done, even a tad less. Time will vary with size of potato pieces. Drain,
briefly let steam dry, arrange around roast and drizzle melted butter
over. Brown and crispy outside, mealy inside. This is standard for our
Christmas Eve beef roast. And use the potato cooking water in the gravy.
jan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 06 Nov 2010 20:53:47 -0700, isw > wrote:

> In article >,
> wrote:
>
> > Also, a nice recipe for roasted potatoes maybe?

> Pork roast cries out for sweet potatoes (IMO, of course).

I found these recipes yesterday. Potatoes Anna with a twist.

Sweet Potatoes Anna - NYT

<http://events.nytimes.com/recipes/203/2001/11/14/Sweet-Potatoes-Anna/recipe.html?pagewanted=print>
Originally published with Sweet Potatoes With Nary a Marshmallow in
Sight
By REGINA SCHRAMBLING, November 14, 2001

6 - 8 servings

TOTAL TIME 1 hour 30 minutes

Ingredients

6 medium sweet potatoes, peeled
10 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
Coarse sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

Preparation

Heat oven to 425 degrees. Using a mandoline or sharp knife, slice
potatoes about 1/8-inch thick. Place in a very large bowl, and add
butter, thyme and salt and pepper to taste. Toss well until all
slices are well coated with butter and seasonings.

Reserve about a dozen of the best-looking slices for top layer.
Arrange a layer of slightly overlapping slices in 10-inch round gratin
dish, skillet or other shallow ovenproof pan. Layer potatoes until
all are used, topping gratin with reserved slices.

Place a sheet of heavy-duty foil directly on top of potatoes. Place
pan in oven, and place a heavy pan slightly smaller in diameter than
first pan directly on foil. Bake for 30 minutes.

`````````````````````
I think this recipe would be great with white potatoes too.
Unfortunately, I didn't record the url where I found it - so if anyone
cares *that* much, they can find it themselves.

Sweet Potatoes Anna

2 ¼ lb sweet potatoes
¼ t butter
1 c grated Parmesan Cheese
dash salt and pepper

Melt the butter in a small sauce pan. Peel and slice potatoes as then
as you can. Coat an 8 or 9 in cake pan with some of the melted
butter. Working in a spiral pattern, cover the bottom of the pan with
a layer of potatoes, closely overlapping. Brush the potatoes with
melted butter and lightly sprinkle with salt, pepper and cheese.
Continue layering using butter and cheese. Press down firmly and
cover tightly with foil. (Can be refrigerated or frozen at this point
for later use.)

In a preheated 425o oven, place on lower rack and bake 30 minutes.
Remove foil and bake until potatoes are tender and top is crisp and
light brown (usually about 20-30 longer). Remove from oven, let set
for 5 min. Using a knife, cut around edges for easier serving.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 7 Nov 2010 01:34:50 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "lainie" > wrote in message
> On Nov 6, 3:12 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> >
> > I don't usually use a recipe. I cut the potatoes into fairly small pieces,
> > toss with olive oil or olive oil and a mixture of butter and some
> > seasonings. Italian seasonings work well. You can add parmesan cheese if
> > you like. I find that a coating of sweet Hungarian paprika on the outside
> > really helps to crisp them. I also usually add a ton of onion cut in
> > smallish chunks. I also add salt and pepper. Recently saw a similar recipe
> > that used shallots.
> >
> > I usually cook at 350 but the key is to turn them over at least once while
> > baking. I let them bake for at least an hour.

> Parmesan cheese? Wouldn't that make them less crispy? e.
>
> No. Parmesan gets hard as it cooks.

Like you said, parmesan gets hard... but it doesn't actually crisp the
potato. Paprika turns them brown and parmesan turns them brown too,
but neither one equates with a crisp oven fried potato.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"lainie" > wrote in message
On Nov 6, 3:12 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> > wrote in message

> > I'm having a boneless pork roast tomorrow night and I'd like to have
> > roasted
> > potatoes with it. I've done it before but with less than satisfactory
> > results.
> > I'd like potatoes that are nice and crispy on the outside. I Googled and
> > saw
> > recipes where the oven was, up to in one case, 500 degrees. I obviously
> > can't
> > cook them the same time as the roast in those temps. I only have one
> > oven
> > (wish
> > I had a double). Short of letting the roast sit getting cool while
> > cooking
> > the
> > potatoes, do I have any options? Also, a nice recipe for roasted
> > potatoes
> > maybe?
> > Thanks.

> I don't usually use a recipe. I cut the potatoes into fairly small pieces,
> toss with olive oil or olive oil and a mixture of butter and some
> seasonings. Italian seasonings work well. You can add parmesan cheese if
> you like. I find that a coating of sweet Hungarian paprika on the outside
> really helps to crisp them. I also usually add a ton of onion cut in
> smallish chunks. I also add salt and pepper. Recently saw a similar recipe
> that used shallots.
>
> I usually cook at 350 but the key is to turn them over at least once while
> baking. I let them bake for at least an hour.

Parmesan cheese? Wouldn't that make them less crispy? e.

---

No. Parmesan gets hard as it cooks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 7 Nov 2010 01:59:05 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

> Given that she just posted WITH PRIDE about serving Gorton's Frozen Fish
> Fillets to her father, that's a pretty good guess.

If you cook frozen fish fillets, Gortons is the best.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 6, 9:55*pm, isw > wrote:
> In article >,
>

> *Omelet > wrote:
> > In article >,
> > wrote:

> > > I'm having a boneless pork roast tomorrow night and I'd like to have
> > > roasted
> > > potatoes with it. I've done it before but with less than satisfactory
> > > results.
> > > I'd like potatoes that are nice and crispy on the outside. I Googled and
> > > saw
> > > recipes where the oven was, up to in one case, 500 degrees. I obviously
> > > can't
> > > cook them the same time as the roast in those temps. I only have one oven
> > > (wish
> > > I had a double). Short of letting the roast sit getting cool while cooking
> > > the
> > > potatoes, do I have any options? Also, a nice recipe for roasted potatoes
> > > maybe?
> > > Thanks.

> > Pre-cook them in the microwave wrapped in waxed paper, then crisp them
> > at that temp in the oven.

> That will produce cooked potatoes, but I've never been able to get that
> "explodingly fluffy" texture that long baking (with NO foil) will
> produce.

That is true. Perhaps you have higher standards than she does.

> Isaac

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan wrote:

>>> Pre-cook them in the microwave wrapped in waxed paper, then crisp them
>>> at that temp in the oven.

>> That will produce cooked potatoes, but I've never been able to get that
>> "explodingly fluffy" texture that long baking (with NO foil) will
>> produce.

> That is true. Perhaps you have higher standards than she does.

Given that she just posted WITH PRIDE about serving Gorton's Frozen Fish
Fillets to her father, that's a pretty good guess.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

>> Given that she just posted WITH PRIDE about serving Gorton's Frozen Fish
>> Fillets to her father, that's a pretty good guess.

> If you cook frozen fish fillets, Gortons is the best.

You might be right about that!

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 6, 10:55*pm, isw > wrote:
> In article >,
> Also, a nice recipe for roasted potatoes
> .
>
> > Pre-cook them in the microwave wrapped in waxed paper, then crisp them
> > at that temp in the oven.

> That will produce cooked potatoes, but I've never been able to get that
> "explodingly fluffy" texture that long baking (with NO foil) will
> produce.

I find if I roll my potatoes in flour it makes them crispy. I think
my mother used to roll half way through. I just roll them at the
beginning. Works for me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

atec77 > wrote in -
september.org:

> On 7/11/2010 11:23 PM, lainie wrote:
>> On Nov 6, 10:55 pm, > wrote:
>>> In >,
>>> Also, a nice recipe for roasted potatoes
>>> .

them

>>> That will produce cooked potatoes, but I've never been able to get

that
>>> "explodingly fluffy" texture that long baking (with NO foil) will
>>> produce.
>>>

>> I find if I roll my potatoes in flour it makes them crispy. I think
>> my mother used to roll half way through. I just roll them at the
>> beginning. Works for me.

> Roast spuds are so easy
> nuke em for a few minutes leaving slightly hard and quarter the peeled
> spuds , into the oven under the roast on the bottom rack smothered in
> good olive oil and some mixed herbs of choice , oven dependent between
> 30 and 45 minuted and they are browned and crisp

Peeled spuds (similar size), cold water in saucepan with spuds, bring to
the boil, boil for 10 mins. Drain water, lid on, shake saucepan vigorously
to 'fluff' the spuds, place into preheated hot duck fat, or olive oil and
whack straight into the oven. Baste/turn as required.

They will come out *wonderfully* crispy/crunchy, and even keep their
crunchy-ness after being stored as leftovers in the fridge.

--
Peter Lucas
Hobart

If riding in an airplane is flying, then riding in a boat is swimming..If
you want to experience the element, get out of the vehicle !
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 7 Nov 2010 01:34:50 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>> "lainie" > wrote in message
>> On Nov 6, 3:12 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>> >
>> > I don't usually use a recipe. I cut the potatoes into fairly small
>> > pieces,
>> > toss with olive oil or olive oil and a mixture of butter and some
>> > seasonings. Italian seasonings work well. You can add parmesan cheese
>> > if
>> > you like. I find that a coating of sweet Hungarian paprika on the
>> > outside
>> > really helps to crisp them. I also usually add a ton of onion cut in
>> > smallish chunks. I also add salt and pepper. Recently saw a similar
>> > recipe
>> > that used shallots.
>> >
>> > I usually cook at 350 but the key is to turn them over at least once
>> > while
>> > baking. I let them bake for at least an hour.

>> Parmesan cheese? Wouldn't that make them less crispy? e.
>>
>> No. Parmesan gets hard as it cooks.
>>

> Like you said, parmesan gets hard... but it doesn't actually crisp the
> potato. Paprika turns them brown and parmesan turns them brown too,
> but neither one equates with a crisp oven fried potato.

I used a recipe I got from a magazine years ago. It had some parmesan on
the outside. The potatoes did get very crisp.