Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Roasted potatoes

Anyone have a good recipe for roasted potatoes? I like them nice and crunchy on
the outside and tender inside. However, I usually cook the roast itself in my
rotisserie, so I need a stand-alone recipe for the spuds. Thanks much.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> Anyone have a good recipe for roasted potatoes? I like them nice and crunchy on
> the outside and tender inside. However, I usually cook the roast itself in my
> rotisserie, so I need a stand-alone recipe for the spuds. Thanks much.

I've been experimenting with these for the last year or so, on and off, since I can't
have potatoes very often. What I've come up with is more method than recipe, I think.
First, I get smaller potatoes. This last time I used these delicious little red
skinned beauties, that are deep gold inside. Yukon babies work well too. I cut them
into wedges, but you can slice them thickly if you prefer. Toss with good olive oil,
salt, pepper, and whatever other seasonings you like. I love rosemary with them. (I
often add paprika, but not until they're done as it tends to darken too much and get
slightly bitter). Sometimes I use a flavored oil, such as a meyer lemon or blood
orange olive oil or garlic or even avocado oil. Usually, I go with the plain.
Now at this point, you can spread them out on a cookie sheet and put them in the oven
at 425*f and it will take a good 40-50 minutes. If you're in a hurry, nuke them for
about 8 minutes, then do the cookie sheet in the very hot oven part. It takes only
about 10 minutes to crisp and brown the outside and the inside is nicely tender.

Taste for seasoning when done.

kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, rfdjr1
@optonline.net says...
> Anyone have a good recipe for roasted potatoes? I like them nice and crunchy on
> the outside and tender inside. However, I usually cook the roast itself in my
> rotisserie, so I need a stand-alone recipe for the spuds. Thanks much.

It's not a recipe per se, but more of a procedu

We'll often just cut potatoes up into fairly uniform wedges, toss them
in a plastic bag with enough olive oil to coat, then add some granulated
garlic and toss some more.

When you're ready to roast them, spread them out on a baking sheet and
roast in the oven at around 350F until they've reached the desired level
of brown-ness, probably a half-hour or so. Turn/flip as needed. If you
use smaller potatoes, you can usually set the wedges skin side down and
get uniform browning without too much additional fiddling around.

We've done them like this in our little toaster oven, which has a 320
deg setting; they take a bit longer, but still come out crunchy/tender,
as you described.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> Anyone have a good recipe for roasted potatoes? I like them nice and
> crunchy on
> the outside and tender inside. However, I usually cook the roast itself in
> my
> rotisserie, so I need a stand-alone recipe for the spuds. Thanks much.

fry wedges in duck fat until you get the crust you like; finish off in the
oven if you need to cook the insides a bit more.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Peel and halve the potatoes. Rinse well.
Par boil for 10 minutes or until spuds are almost cooked through.
Drain in a colander.
Shake colander to 'rough up' outside edges of the spuds.
Heat oven to 220DegC with roasting pan drizzled with olive oil
Add spuds, cut side down and drizzle extra oil over potato tops.
Sprinkle with sea salt & freshly ground black pepper. Addition: halved
cloves garlic (usually around 6-8) skin on. Can also add rosemary,
thyme or herbs of choice.
Place on shelf which yields hottest section of YOUR oven.
Bake for around 30-40 minutes, turning occasionally.

LadyJane
--
"Never trust a skinny cook!"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article <Aftsh.440$U81.149@trnddc06>, says...

wrote:
> > Anyone have a good recipe for roasted potatoes? I like them nice and
> > crunchy on the outside and tender inside. However, I usually cook the
> > roast itself in my rotisserie, so I need a stand-alone recipe for the
> > spuds. Thanks much.

> Give some Yukon Gold potatoes a brief scrub, and cut them into nice 1 to 1
> 1/2 inch chunks (usually 6ths or 8ths, depending on size). Don't peel them!
>
> Spread them out in a jelly roll pan or shallow roasting pan. Drizzle
> generously with good olive oil, and sprinkle with kosher or sea salt. Grind
> a generous amount of fresh pepper over them. I also sprinkle them with
> garlic granules (NOT garlic salt)--one of the few occasions on which I use
> it, but of course you can also chop up some fresh or press a clove or
> two--toss a bit, and put in the oven at 400F. They should probably take
> about 45 minutes, depending on size. They'll get nicely brown and crunchy,
> but not dried out if you use the right kind of potato, like Yukon Gold or
> red. These are very flexible. You can turn the oven up to 450 or even 500 if
> you are in a hurry. You can put them in while it is still preheating. You
> can toss them with a spatula part way through, or not. (Watch for sticking.)
> Flour and precooking and so on are not necessary.

Actually add a little sweet Italian sausage to this as well as several
well oiled cloves of garlic and you'll have a very nice dish.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> Anyone have a good recipe for roasted potatoes? I like them nice and
> crunchy on
> the outside and tender inside. However, I usually cook the roast itself in
> my
> rotisserie, so I need a stand-alone recipe for the spuds. Thanks much.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Vegetables: Roasted Red Potatoes

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Vegetables

2 pounds red potatoes
2 tblsp butter, melted
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried marjoram
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Preheat oven to 425 deg. Using vegetable peeler, remove a 1/2 inch strip of
peel from around center of each potato. Place potatoes in a small roasting
pan.

Combine butter, garlic, salt, marjoram, thyme & pepper, pour over potatoes,
turning to coat.

Roast until potatoes are golden and tender, about 45-50 minutes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kswck" > wrote in message

> > wrote in message
>> Anyone have a good recipe for roasted potatoes? I like them nice and
>> crunchy on
>> the outside and tender inside. However, I usually cook the roast itself
>> in my
>> rotisserie, so I need a stand-alone recipe for the spuds. Thanks much.

Using vegetable peeler, remove a 1/2 inch strip of
> peel from around center of each potato.

Why would you need to do that?

Jen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Puistonen wrote on 20 Jan 2007 in rec.food.cooking

> wrote:
> > Anyone have a good recipe for roasted potatoes? I like them nice and
> > crunchy on the outside and tender inside. However, I usually cook
> > the roast itself in my rotisserie, so I need a stand-alone recipe
> > for the spuds. Thanks much.

> Give some Yukon Gold potatoes a brief scrub, and cut them into nice 1
> to 1 1/2 inch chunks (usually 6ths or 8ths, depending on size). Don't
> peel them!
>
> Spread them out in a jelly roll pan or shallow roasting pan. Drizzle
> generously with good olive oil, and sprinkle with kosher or sea salt.
> Grind a generous amount of fresh pepper over them. I also sprinkle
> them with garlic granules (NOT garlic salt)--one of the few occasions
> on which I use it, but of course you can also chop up some fresh or
> press a clove or two--toss a bit, and put in the oven at 400F. They
> should probably take about 45 minutes, depending on size. They'll get
> nicely brown and crunchy, but not dried out if you use the right kind
> of potato, like Yukon Gold or red. These are very flexible. You can
> turn the oven up to 450 or even 500 if you are in a hurry. You can put
> them in while it is still preheating. You can toss them with a spatula
> part way through, or not. (Watch for sticking.) Flour and precooking
> and so on are not necessary.

Additional thoughts...

I like to par boil my spuds before I bake them...then I drizzle with oil
and sprinkle a herb mix like say lemmon pepper or a tarragon type mix
over them before puting them in the oven.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Jan 2007 23:05:39 GMT, "Jen" >
wrote:

>"Kswck" > wrote in message
>>
>> > wrote in message
>>> Anyone have a good recipe for roasted potatoes? I like them nice and
>>> crunchy on
>>> the outside and tender inside. However, I usually cook the roast itself
>>> in my
>>> rotisserie, so I need a stand-alone recipe for the spuds. Thanks much.
>>>

>Using vegetable peeler, remove a 1/2 inch strip of
>> peel from around center of each potato.

>Why would you need to do that?

It's form, not function.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Puistonen wrote:

snip
> Flour and precooking and so on are not necessary.

True, precooking is not essential to crispy roast spuds, but it cuts
the oven cooking time considerably.
As I used baked veg regularly, without the ubiquitous roast
meat/poultry, it is nice to be able to achieve crispy roast potatoes in
under half an hour.

LadyJane
--
"Never trust a skinny cook!"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 20, 2007, Jen wrote:

> Why would you need to do that?

[removing a strip from around the potator]

You don't *need* to do that. Some people
do it because they think it looks nice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

--
elaine
"Little Malice" > wrote in message >> >
>> When I want my potatoes crunchy, I peel 'em, don't worry about drying
>> them
>> off. Then I coat them with flour. Roast in hot oil for 1-1/2 hours.
>> Works
>> for me.

> What tempurature? And I assume you put the spuds in the already oiled
> pan, rather than drizzling with oil afterward, as in some of the other
> recipes? Seems like that would just wash the flour off. I want to try
> this with seasoned flour -- in the past we've deep fried red potatoes
> but that's kind of a bother, I'd rather do it in the oven:

350 - pre-heat the oil then put in potatoes. Sometimes I add rosemary,
garlic. For the most part, I'm usually roasting something else anyway.

elaine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, "elaine" > said:
> "Little Malice" > wrote in message
>> One time on Usenet, "elaine" > said:

> >> When I want my potatoes crunchy, I peel 'em, don't worry about drying
> >> them
> >> off. Then I coat them with flour. Roast in hot oil for 1-1/2 hours.
> >> Works for me.

> > What tempurature? And I assume you put the spuds in the already oiled
> > pan, rather than drizzling with oil afterward, as in some of the other
> > recipes? Seems like that would just wash the flour off. I want to try
> > this with seasoned flour -- in the past we've deep fried red potatoes
> > but that's kind of a bother, I'd rather do it in the oven:

> 350 - pre-heat the oil then put in potatoes. Sometimes I add rosemary,
> garlic. For the most part, I'm usually roasting something else anyway.

Great, thanks for the info -- I'll have to try this soon... :-)

--
Jani in WA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 19:34:42 GMT, unge (Little
Malice) wrote:

>One time on Usenet, "elaine" > said:

>> > What tempurature? And I assume you put the spuds in the already oiled
>> > pan, rather than drizzling with oil afterward, as in some of the other
>> > recipes? Seems like that would just wash the flour off. I want to try
>> > this with seasoned flour -- in the past we've deep fried red potatoes
>> > but that's kind of a bother, I'd rather do it in the oven:

>> 350 - pre-heat the oil then put in potatoes. Sometimes I add rosemary,
>> garlic. For the most part, I'm usually roasting something else anyway.

>Great, thanks for the info -- I'll have to try this soon... :-)

I don't flour my potatoes and I don't use the method you see on TV. A
little oil goes a long way, so I put the potatoes in a bowl and make
sure they are well coated with oil before I place them in the roasting
pan. What is a little drizzle over a few potatoes going to do?
Absolutely nothing.

Cut waxy type potatoes into 1" chunks, toss with EVOO, sprinkle on
chopped garlic, fresh rosemary, salt and pepper. Roast at 375° 30-45
min. or until brown and crunchy.
Enjoy

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jen" > wrote in message

> "Kswck" > wrote in message
>>
>> > wrote in message
>>> Anyone have a good recipe for roasted potatoes? I like them nice and
>>> crunchy on
>>> the outside and tender inside. However, I usually cook the roast itself
>>> in my
>>> rotisserie, so I need a stand-alone recipe for the spuds. Thanks much.
>>>

> Using vegetable peeler, remove a 1/2 inch strip of
>> peel from around center of each potato.

> Why would you need to do that?
>

> Jen

For show

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>> Using vegetable peeler, remove a 1/2 inch strip of
>>> peel from around center of each potato.

>> Why would you need to do that?
>>

>> Jen
>>

> For show

if you want show, tourner them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gil Faver" > wrote in message

>>> Using vegetable peeler, remove a 1/2 inch strip of
>>>
>>> Why would you need to do that?
>>>

>>> Jen
>>>

>> For show

> if you want show, tourner them.

if you have time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kswck" > wrote in message

>>> For show

>> if you want show, tourner them.
>>

> if you have time.

for us, its if the chef says we have time . . .