Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Oven Roasted Potatoes

Can anyone help with some good recipes for oven browned potatoes? We
never seem to have any luck with them. If we roast small red potatoes
cut into cubes along with a roast beef, they come out unevenly cooked,
sometimes even hard as a raw potato, even though they've been cooking
at 350 for 90 minutes or more.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jeffy3 said...

> Can anyone help with some good recipes for oven browned potatoes? We
> never seem to have any luck with them. If we roast small red potatoes
> cut into cubes along with a roast beef, they come out unevenly cooked,
> sometimes even hard as a raw potato, even though they've been cooking
> at 350 for 90 minutes or more.

Boil them, quartered (not cubed), for 10 minutes.

Drain them of water.

Oil them.

Broil them sitting on parchment paper until done (toothpick test works best),
turning once or twice.

Finish an extra minute with sprinkles of spices and Parmesan cheese.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 24, 9:18*am, Andy > wrote:
> Jeffy3 said...
>
> > Can anyone help with some good recipes for oven browned potatoes? We
> > never seem to have any luck with them. *If we roast small red potatoes
> > cut into cubes along with a roast beef, they come out unevenly cooked,
> > sometimes even hard as a raw potato, even though they've been cooking
> > at 350 for 90 minutes or more.

> Boil them, quartered (not cubed), for 10 minutes.
>
> Drain them of water.
>
> Oil them.
>
> Broil them sitting on parchment paper until done (toothpick test works best),
> turning once or twice.
>
> Finish an extra minute with sprinkles of spices and Parmesan cheese.
>
> Andy

I need help with cooking them in the same roasting pan with a roast at
325 or 350. Maybe par-boiling is the trick. Still hard to believe
that cubed pieces of potato don't soften being in the oven at 90
minutes!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jeffy3 > wrote in message
> On Jun 24, 9:18 am, Andy > wrote:
> > Jeffy3 said...
> >
> > > Can anyone help with some good recipes for oven
> > > browned potatoes? We never seem to have any luck
> > > with them. If we roast small red potatoes cut into
> > > cubes along with a roast beef, they come out unevenly
> > > cooked, sometimes even hard as a raw potato, even
> > > though they've been cooking at 350 for 90 minutes
> > > or more.
> > >

> > Boil them, quartered (not cubed), for 10 minutes.
> >
> > Drain them of water.
> >
> > Oil them.
> >
> > Broil them sitting on parchment paper until done (toothpick
> > test works best), turning once or twice.
> >
> > Finish an extra minute with sprinkles of spices and Parmesan
> > cheese.
> >

> I need help with cooking them in the same roasting pan
> with a roast at 325 or 350. Maybe par-boiling is the trick.
> Still hard to believe that cubed pieces of potato don't soften
> being in the oven at 90 minutes!

Belay that par-boil! DON'T. DO. IT.

You want to use the same pan, then do it.

Raise the oven temp to 425°F and bake them for only 45-60 minutes, or evenly
browned. You've already got them evened out in size by cubing them so that
removes that as a variable.

I cut Yukons and Whites into quarter-wedges instead of cubing. I also set
down a layer of bacon fat, salt said wedges and bake 'em for 60 because we
like 'em browned all over.

If you're still getting uneven browning, you might want to check on them at
the midway mark and move them about (or flip the pan front-to-back). I have
to do this with tator tots and fries when I bake those.

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jeffy3 wrote:
> Can anyone help with some good recipes for oven browned potatoes? We
> never seem to have any luck with them. If we roast small red potatoes
> cut into cubes along with a roast beef, they come out unevenly cooked,
> sometimes even hard as a raw potato, even though they've been cooking
> at 350 for 90 minutes or more.

Make these -

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2...-hot-potatoes/

Really, really good.

-Tracy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jeffy3" > wrote in message
On Jun 24, 9:18 am, Andy > wrote:
> Jeffy3 said...
>
> > Can anyone help with some good recipes for oven browned potatoes? We
> > never seem to have any luck with them. If we roast small red potatoes
> > cut into cubes along with a roast beef, they come out unevenly cooked,
> > sometimes even hard as a raw potato, even though they've been cooking
> > at 350 for 90 minutes or more.

> Boil them, quartered (not cubed), for 10 minutes.
>
> Drain them of water.
>
> Oil them.
>
> Broil them sitting on parchment paper until done (toothpick test works
> best),
> turning once or twice.
>
> Finish an extra minute with sprinkles of spices and Parmesan cheese.
>
> Andy

I need help with cooking them in the same roasting pan with a roast at
325 or 350. Maybe par-boiling is the trick. Still hard to believe
that cubed pieces of potato don't soften being in the oven at 90
minutes!

Roasted potatoes will not turn out very well at those low temperatures,
especially not in the same pan with a roast, then you'll have potatoes that
are more like a combo of baked and boiled.... and boiling them first you may
as well use frozen freedom fries. Par boiling potatoes ruins , they'll
become mush on the exterior and still be hard as rocks in the centers... the
proper way to boil any root veggie is to start them in cold water so that
they cook evenly throughout.

You'll have better luck roasting potatoes in a separate pan.

I cut raw spuds into wedges, oil them, toss with s n' p, then roast in a
single layer at 375-400F... flip them a couple times... they puff up and
turn crisp and beautiful golden brown. Place the spuds on the very top oven
shelf with the roast in the center. Just keep an eye the spuds don't burn,
they'll cook quickly, it's hotter up there so you can split the
difference of temps with the meat setting... you need to learn your oven,
try 350F.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Ranger said...

> Jeffy3 > wrote in message
>> On Jun 24, 9:18 am, Andy > wrote:
>> > Jeffy3 said...

>> > Boil them, quartered (not cubed), for 10 minutes.
>> >
>> > Drain them of water.
>> >
>> > Oil them.
>> >
>> > Broil them sitting on parchment paper until done (toothpick
>> > test works best), turning once or twice.
>> >
>> > Finish an extra minute with sprinkles of spices and Parmesan
>> > cheese.
>> >

>> I need help with cooking them in the same roasting pan
>> with a roast at 325 or 350. Maybe par-boiling is the trick.
>> Still hard to believe that cubed pieces of potato don't soften
>> being in the oven at 90 minutes!

> Belay that par-boil! DON'T. DO. IT.
>
> You want to use the same pan, then do it.
>
> Raise the oven temp to 425°F and bake them for only 45-60 minutes, or
> evenly browned. You've already got them evened out in size by cubing
> them so that removes that as a variable.
>
> I cut Yukons and Whites into quarter-wedges instead of cubing. I also
> set down a layer of bacon fat, salt said wedges and bake 'em for 60
> because we like 'em browned all over.
>
> If you're still getting uneven browning, you might want to check on them
> at the midway mark and move them about (or flip the pan front-to-back).
> I have to do this with tator tots and fries when I bake those.
>
> The Ranger

Geez...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jeffy3" > wrote in message
> Can anyone help with some good recipes for oven browned potatoes? We
> never seem to have any luck with them. If we roast small red potatoes
> cut into cubes along with a roast beef, they come out unevenly cooked,
> sometimes even hard as a raw potato, even though they've been cooking
> at 350 for 90 minutes or more.

I use russets because they work well in the oven for roasting. Cut into
large bite size pieces, drizzle with olive oil, kosher salt and rosemary
sprigs. Cook for 15 minutes at 400F then toss to recoat then another 15
minutes to fully brown. Kosher salt is the secret for roasted potatoes. I
have never needed more than 30 minutes to fully cook potatoes in the oven
this way.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I slice em into flat discs. Fairly thick, but not a half inch, tho.
Pat dry.
Toss in a bowl with olive oil, steak seasoning. Lay on an oiled
cookie sheet. Sprinkle with paprika LIGHTLY. Set oven to 425. Bake
for twenty minutes. Remove and turn em over (this is when the paprika
becomes your eye guide). Bake for another 15 minutes or so. Test em -
should be crisp on outside, soft but cooked on inside.

Get out the ketchup, sprinkle with some more pepper or salt and watch
em disappear.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

try google:

recipe patatas bravas

this kind of potatos is maybe also the kind you search !

more recipes on www.cocktails-appetizers.be

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 06:00:33 -0700 (PDT), Jeffy3 >
wrote:

>Can anyone help with some good recipes for oven browned potatoes? We
>never seem to have any luck with them. If we roast small red potatoes
>cut into cubes along with a roast beef, they come out unevenly cooked,
>sometimes even hard as a raw potato, even though they've been cooking
>at 350 for 90 minutes or more.

How big are those cubes? DD does a casserole where she cuts new
potatoes into maybe 1 inch (no bigger) cubes, douses with OO and
chopped garlic, covers for an hour and turns the potatoes once or
twice, then takes off the cover for a little while longer. Believe it
or not, they are brown and crunchy when they're served.

I don't have the nerve to try, but I've watched her do it.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 07:32:59 -0700, Paul M. Cook wrote:

> "Jeffy3" > wrote in message
>> Can anyone help with some good recipes for oven browned potatoes? We
>> never seem to have any luck with them. If we roast small red potatoes
>> cut into cubes along with a roast beef, they come out unevenly cooked,
>> sometimes even hard as a raw potato, even though they've been cooking
>> at 350 for 90 minutes or more.

> I use russets because they work well in the oven for roasting. Cut into
> large bite size pieces, drizzle with olive oil, kosher salt and rosemary
> sprigs. Cook for 15 minutes at 400F then toss to recoat then another 15
> minutes to fully brown. Kosher salt is the secret for roasted potatoes. I
> have never needed more than 30 minutes to fully cook potatoes in the oven
> this way.
>
> Paul

i agree with using russsets, not reds. i cook wedges tossed to coat in
olive oil with seasoned salt (oh noes!) and pepper at 475 f. for 15-20
minutes. works well for me. no parboiling. (technique cribbed from
someone here in 2001)

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 24, 11:22*am, blake murphy > wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 07:32:59 -0700, Paul M. Cook wrote:
> > "Jeffy3" > wrote in message
> >> Can anyone help with some good recipes for oven browned potatoes? We
> >> never seem to have any luck with them. *If we roast small red potatoes
> >> cut into cubes along with a roast beef, they come out unevenly cooked,
> >> sometimes even hard as a raw potato, even though they've been cooking
> >> at 350 for 90 minutes or more.

> > I use russets because they work well in the oven for roasting. *Cut into
> > large bite size pieces, drizzle with olive oil, kosher salt and rosemary
> > sprigs. *Cook for 15 minutes at 400F then toss to recoat then another 15
> > minutes to fully brown. *Kosher salt is the secret for roasted potatoes. *I
> > have never needed more than 30 minutes to fully cook potatoes in the oven
> > this way.

> > Paul

> i agree with using russsets, not reds. *i cook wedges tossed to coat in
> olive oil with seasoned salt (oh noes!) and pepper at 475 f. for 15-20
> minutes. *works well for me. *no parboiling. *(technique cribbed from
> someone here in 2001)
>
> your pal,
> blake- Hide quoted text -

A lot of good advice found in this thread! Although most of it would
seem to only work for people with two ovens. How do you cook potatoes
at 425 and a roast at 325 at the same time!?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jeffy3" > wrote in message
On Jun 24, 11:22 am, blake murphy > wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 07:32:59 -0700, Paul M. Cook wrote:
> > "Jeffy3" > wrote in message
> >> Can anyone help with some good recipes for oven browned potatoes? We
> >> never seem to have any luck with them. If we roast small red potatoes
> >> cut into cubes along with a roast beef, they come out unevenly cooked,
> >> sometimes even hard as a raw potato, even though they've been cooking
> >> at 350 for 90 minutes or more.

> > I use russets because they work well in the oven for roasting. Cut into
> > large bite size pieces, drizzle with olive oil, kosher salt and rosemary
> > sprigs. Cook for 15 minutes at 400F then toss to recoat then another 15
> > minutes to fully brown. Kosher salt is the secret for roasted potatoes.
> > have never needed more than 30 minutes to fully cook potatoes in the
> > oven
> > this way.

> > Paul

> i agree with using russsets, not reds. i cook wedges tossed to coat in
> olive oil with seasoned salt (oh noes!) and pepper at 475 f. for 15-20
> minutes. works well for me. no parboiling. (technique cribbed from
> someone here in 2001)
>
> your pal,
> blake- Hide quoted text -

A lot of good advice found in this thread! Although most of it would
seem to only work for people with two ovens. How do you cook potatoes
at 425 and a roast at 325 at the same time!?

--

The roast has to rest after it comes out of the oven to set the juices.
Just enough time to roast the veggies. I have never used 47F but it would

I make roasted veggies and prime rib every Christmas and I only have one
oven.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I would parboil them in the microwave first, then let them dry and then
cook around the meat till that is ready. Then turn the oven up high once
the meat has come out to rest (cos you'll be doing that anyway for the
Yorkshires won't you !!) and let the potatoes crisp up then. You can
remove spuds once the Yorkshires have risen.

Jeffy3 wrote:
> Can anyone help with some good recipes for oven browned potatoes? We
> never seem to have any luck with them. If we roast small red potatoes
> cut into cubes along with a roast beef, they come out unevenly cooked,
> sometimes even hard as a raw potato, even though they've been cooking
> at 350 for 90 minutes or more.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 24, 8:40*am, Jeffy3 > wrote:
[snip]
> A lot of good advice found in this thread! *Although most of it would
> seem to only work for people with two ovens. How do you cook potatoes
> at 425 and a roast at 325 at the same time!?

Checking my Sainted Mother's (tm) two go-to cookbooks (Pillbury 1963
and BH&G 1958), they are at extreme odds with each other:
Pillsbury --
Crispy Oven Chips
Melt butter in large, shallow baking pans. Pare potatoes and slice
crosswise into quarters. Coat completely in butter and place 1 layer
deep in each pan. Sprinkle with onion salt, pepper, and chili powder.
Bake at 425°F for 25 minutes, or until browned.

BH&G --
Roasted Potatoes
Pare and quarter. Parboil in salted water for 15 minutes. 45 minutes
prior to roast (beef roast is what the books' authors are referring
to) is done, place hot potatoes in drippings and turn to coat. Roast
till potatoes are done, turning occasionally to baste. Salt lightly.

Instead of cubing them like you've been doing, try setting them in
full-jacketed and of similar size. Coat with oil and salt/pepper, and
cook 'em like you've been doing. Only about midway (time wise), give
'em a turn or two.

The Ranger
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Ranger" > wrote in message
ndwidth...
> Jeffy3 > wrote in message
>> On Jun 24, 9:18 am, Andy > wrote:
>> > Jeffy3 said...

>> > Boil them, quartered (not cubed), for 10 minutes.
>> >
>> > Drain them of water.
>> >
>> > Oil them.
>> >
>> > Broil them sitting on parchment paper until done (toothpick
>> > test works best), turning once or twice.
>> >
>> > Finish an extra minute with sprinkles of spices and Parmesan
>> > cheese.
>> >

>> I need help with cooking them in the same roasting pan
>> with a roast at 325 or 350. Maybe par-boiling is the trick.
>> Still hard to believe that cubed pieces of potato don't soften
>> being in the oven at 90 minutes!

> Belay that par-boil! DON'T. DO. IT.
>
> You want to use the same pan, then do it.
>
> Raise the oven temp to 425°F and bake them for only 45-60 minutes, or
> evenly browned. You've already got them evened out in size by cubing them
> so that removes that as a variable.
>
> I cut Yukons and Whites into quarter-wedges instead of cubing. I also set
> down a layer of bacon fat, salt said wedges and bake 'em for 60 because we
> like 'em browned all over.
>
> If you're still getting uneven browning, you might want to check on them
> at the midway mark and move them about (or flip the pan front-to-back). I
> have to do this with tator tots and fries when I bake those.
>
> The Ranger

I do close to the same thing (olive oil instead of bacon fat) but also dust
them with wondra before cooking. Gives them an extra-crispy coating.

Jon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jeffy3 wrote:

> Can anyone help with some good recipes for oven browned potatoes? We
> never seem to have any luck with them. If we roast small red potatoes
> cut into cubes along with a roast beef, they come out unevenly cooked,
> sometimes even hard as a raw potato, even though they've been cooking
> at 350 for 90 minutes or more.

That's too low a temperature for decent roast potatoes.

Try this recipe, which is Nigella Lawson's. It's more like the typical
UK recipe for roast potatoes.The potatoes need to be parboiled first for
best results. They are roasted while the meat is resting.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...otatoes-236618
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jeffy3" ha scritto nel messaggio

> Can anyone help with some good recipes for oven browned potatoes?

hard as a raw potato, even though they've been cooking
> at 350 for 90 minutes or more.

You can parboil peeled potatoes before roasting them. Drain and shake the
pan to rough up the outside, then add some fat (duck or goose is best) or
olive oil, salt, maybe rosemary or another herb, then cook long and slow
until nicely crusted and golden.