Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Decorative purposes only

Today we took a sight seeing ride up north jersey, not that the
leaves are changing or anything. Bad summer. Among other
things, we stopped at this farmers market to get some apples
and whatever else caught my eye.

Aha, a nice gooseneck gourd, they amuse me and they make
a cute fall decoration. The cashier admired the gourd and we made
a couple of comments about them, then she told me that last
week, a Chinese couple came in. They'd bought one of those
gourds and it tasted horrible, they wanted their money back!

That just struck me as funny. You're not supposed to eat them!
Go find a squash! I didn't find out if they returned their money.

Even if it was edible, I thought $5 was a lot to pay if I did think it
was some squash. They are very light.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 13, 3:12*pm, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> Today we took a sight seeing ride up north jersey, not that the
> leaves are changing or anything. *Bad summer. *Among other
> things, we stopped at this farmers market to get some apples
> and whatever else caught my eye. *
>
> Aha, a nice gooseneck gourd, they amuse me and they make
> a cute fall decoration. *The cashier admired the gourd and we made
> a couple of comments about them, then she told me that last
> week, a Chinese couple came in. *They'd bought one of those
> gourds and it tasted horrible, they wanted their money back!
>
> That just struck me as funny. *You're not supposed to eat them!
> Go find a squash! *I didn't find out if they returned their money. *
>
> Even if it was edible, I thought $5 was a lot to pay if I did think it
> was some squash. *They are very light.
>
> nancy

My grandpa always had gourds ... I haven't had any for decades. I
think they're quite charming. Did you see that gourd lady on one of
the news programs? I think it was CBS Sunday Morning. She paints
them like different things the shapes suggest to her. I guess she was
on Johnny Carson. She's quite funny.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:
> On Oct 13, 3:12 pm, "Nancy Young" > wrote:

>> Aha, a nice gooseneck gourd, they amuse me and they make
>> a cute fall decoration.

> My grandpa always had gourds ... I haven't had any for decades. I
> think they're quite charming. Did you see that gourd lady on one of
> the news programs? I think it was CBS Sunday Morning. She paints
> them like different things the shapes suggest to her. I guess she was
> on Johnny Carson. She's quite funny.

Oh, I haven't seen her, I'll google around. I have seen some painted
gourds that just knock me out with their beauty. If I was creative,
I'd take that up as a hobby.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 16:12:50 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> wrote:

>Today we took a sight seeing ride up north jersey, not that the
>leaves are changing or anything.

NY's fall foliage is peaking now.
http://www.nyfallfoliage.com/

This is purported to be one of the best years in a long time:
http://i54.tinypic.com/ibc8ih.jpg

>Bad summer. Among other
>things, we stopped at this farmers market to get some apples
>and whatever else caught my eye.
>
>Aha, a nice gooseneck gourd, they amuse me and they make
>a cute fall decoration. The cashier admired the gourd and we made
>a couple of comments about them, then she told me that last
>week, a Chinese couple came in. They'd bought one of those
>gourds and it tasted horrible, they wanted their money back!
>
>That just struck me as funny. You're not supposed to eat them!
>Go find a squash! I didn't find out if they returned their money.
>
>Even if it was edible, I thought $5 was a lot to pay if I did think it
>was some squash. They are very light.
>
>nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> Today we took a sight seeing ride up north jersey, not that the
> leaves are changing or anything. Bad summer. Among other
> things, we stopped at this farmers market to get some apples
> and whatever else caught my eye.
> Aha, a nice gooseneck gourd, they amuse me and they make
> a cute fall decoration. The cashier admired the gourd and we made a
> couple of comments about them, then she told me that last
> week, a Chinese couple came in. They'd bought one of those
> gourds and it tasted horrible, they wanted their money back!
>
> That just struck me as funny. You're not supposed to eat them!
> Go find a squash! I didn't find out if they returned their money.
> Even if it was edible, I thought $5 was a lot to pay if I did think it
> was some squash. They are very light.

I always wondered if you could eat them, but looking on the Internet showed
that you could not. We used to grow them when I was a kid but I always
wondered why. I've seen them made into things like birdhouses and ladles
but we never did that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 16:12:50 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> > wrote:
>
>> Today we took a sight seeing ride up north jersey, not that the
>> leaves are changing or anything.

> NY's fall foliage is peaking now.
> http://www.nyfallfoliage.com/
>
> This is purported to be one of the best years in a long time:
> http://i54.tinypic.com/ibc8ih.jpg

Beautiful. We had a droughty summer, the leaves are not going
to put on a real big show. I'm glad you're getting color.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 18:22:31 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> wrote:

>Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 16:12:50 -0400, "Nancy Young"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Today we took a sight seeing ride up north jersey, not that the
>>> leaves are changing or anything.

>> NY's fall foliage is peaking now.
>> http://www.nyfallfoliage.com/
>>
>> This is purported to be one of the best years in a long time:
>> http://i54.tinypic.com/ibc8ih.jpg

>Beautiful. We had a droughty summer, the leaves are not going
>to put on a real big show. I'm glad you're getting color.
>
>nancy

The lack of moisture is what's making this a great fall foliage year.,
less minerals were diluted and disapated so when photosynthesis ceased
the color is more intense.

http://www.sciencemadesimple.com/leaves.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 13, 4:12*pm, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> Today we took a sight seeing ride up north jersey, not that the
> leaves are changing or anything. *Bad summer. *Among other
> things, we stopped at this farmers market to get some apples
> and whatever else caught my eye. *
>
> Aha, a nice gooseneck gourd, they amuse me and they make
> a cute fall decoration. *The cashier admired the gourd and we made
> a couple of comments about them, then she told me that last
> week, a Chinese couple came in. *They'd bought one of those
> gourds and it tasted horrible, they wanted their money back!
>
> That just struck me as funny. *You're not supposed to eat them!
> Go find a squash! *I didn't find out if they returned their money. *
>
> Even if it was edible, I thought $5 was a lot to pay if I did think it
> was some squash. *They are very light.
>
> nancy

They need to put out a big sign "NOT EDIBLE".
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 18:22:31 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> > wrote:

>> Beautiful. We had a droughty summer, the leaves are not going
>> to put on a real big show. I'm glad you're getting color.

> The lack of moisture is what's making this a great fall foliage year.,
> less minerals were diluted and disapated so when photosynthesis ceased
> the color is more intense.
>
> http://www.sciencemadesimple.com/leaves.html

I've lived through a lot of dry summers and the sucky part is that the
leaves
go from green to dull to brownish then they fall. My normally brilliant
sugar
maple is going to dull burgundy right now.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 13, 3:12*pm, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> Today we took a sight seeing ride up north jersey, not that the
> leaves are changing or anything. *Bad summer. *Among other
> things, we stopped at this farmers market to get some apples
> and whatever else caught my eye. *
>
> Aha, a nice gooseneck gourd, they amuse me and they make
> a cute fall decoration. *The cashier admired the gourd and we made
> a couple of comments about them, then she told me that last
> week, a Chinese couple came in. *They'd bought one of those
> gourds and it tasted horrible, they wanted their money back!
>
> That just struck me as funny. *You're not supposed to eat them!
> Go find a squash! *I didn't find out if they returned their money. *
>
> Even if it was edible, I thought $5 was a lot to pay if I did think it
> was some squash. *They are very light.

That is pretty funny. I used to grow gourds when I was a kid. They
smelled awful.

> nancy

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bryan" > wrote in message
On Oct 13, 3:12 pm, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> Today we took a sight seeing ride up north jersey, not that the
> leaves are changing or anything. Bad summer. Among other
> things, we stopped at this farmers market to get some apples
> and whatever else caught my eye.
>
> Aha, a nice gooseneck gourd, they amuse me and they make
> a cute fall decoration. The cashier admired the gourd and we made
> a couple of comments about them, then she told me that last
> week, a Chinese couple came in. They'd bought one of those
> gourds and it tasted horrible, they wanted their money back!
>
> That just struck me as funny. You're not supposed to eat them!
> Go find a squash! I didn't find out if they returned their money.
>
> Even if it was edible, I thought $5 was a lot to pay if I did think it
> was some squash. They are very light.

That is pretty funny. I used to grow gourds when I was a kid. They
smelled awful.

I always hated the bumpy ones. I thought they had acne or something.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:
> "Bryan" > wrote in message
> On Oct 13, 3:12 pm, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
>> Today we took a sight seeing ride up north jersey, not that the
>> leaves are changing or anything. Bad summer. Among other
>> things, we stopped at this farmers market to get some apples
>> and whatever else caught my eye.
>>
>> Aha, a nice gooseneck gourd, they amuse me and they make
>> a cute fall decoration. The cashier admired the gourd and we made
>> a couple of comments about them, then she told me that last
>> week, a Chinese couple came in. They'd bought one of those
>> gourds and it tasted horrible, they wanted their money back!
>>
>> That just struck me as funny. You're not supposed to eat them!
>> Go find a squash! I didn't find out if they returned their money.
>>
>> Even if it was edible, I thought $5 was a lot to pay if I did think
>> it was some squash. They are very light.

> That is pretty funny. I used to grow gourds when I was a kid. They
> smelled awful.
>
> I always hated the bumpy ones. I thought they had acne or
> something.

I love the little ones for decorating. The weirder, the better, warts
and all.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 13/10/2010 4:12 PM, Nancy Young wrote:

> Aha, a nice gooseneck gourd, they amuse me and they make
> a cute fall decoration. The cashier admired the gourd and we made a
> couple of comments about them, then she told me that last
> week, a Chinese couple came in. They'd bought one of those
> gourds and it tasted horrible, they wanted their money back!

A few years ago my wife bought some Swiss Chard. I had never had it
before, checked out how it was best cooked tried it.... did not like it
at all. I thought it was horrible. Maybe I should have tried to take it
back. ;-)

> That just struck me as funny. You're not supposed to eat them!
> Go find a squash! I didn't find out if they returned their money.
> Even if it was edible, I thought $5 was a lot to pay if I did think it
> was some squash. They are very light.

$5 is a lot to pay for a gourd.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 14, 10:47*am, Dave Smith > wrote:
> On 13/10/2010 4:12 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
>
> > Aha, a nice gooseneck gourd, they amuse me and they make
> > a cute fall decoration. The cashier admired the gourd and we made a
> > couple of comments about them, then she told me that last
> > week, a Chinese couple came in. They'd bought one of those
> > gourds and it tasted horrible, they wanted their money back!

> A few years ago my wife bought some Swiss Chard. I had never had it
> before, checked out how it was best cooked tried it.... did not like it
> at all. I thought it was horrible. Maybe I should have tried to take it
> back. *;-)
>
> > That just struck me as funny. You're not supposed to eat them!
> > Go find a squash! I didn't find out if they returned their money.
> > Even if it was edible, I thought $5 was a lot to pay if I did think it
> > was some squash. They are very light.

> $5 is a lot to pay for a gourd.

Our local market has them 10 for $5. (Small ones, that is.)

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:
> On Oct 13, 5:10 pm, "Nancy Young" > wrote:

>> Neat. I should look around to see what the method is. I think
>> it would be fun.

> You can use one of those Dremel tools

Oh, I was just looking at Dremel tools online a couple of days ago.
Trying to think of an excuse to get one. I really want one.

> and a tiny craft tool and cut
> openings - rattles don't require much - just let them dry, and the
> seeds inside make the rattle.

Kind of like my rain stick. Heh. otherwise known as pet torture
device.

> Our trees right now are beautiful - and have been for over a week.
> We're 20 days without rain - every day is beautiful, but I'm having to
> water my two newest trees.

Yeah, you hate to go through all that planting and let them dry out the
first year. We barely got any rain from early July (and we were in a
mini-drought before then) and October. My gardens look terrible.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> On 13/10/2010 4:12 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> Aha, a nice gooseneck gourd, they amuse me and they make
>> a cute fall decoration. The cashier admired the gourd and we made a
>> couple of comments about them, then she told me that last
>> week, a Chinese couple came in. They'd bought one of those
>> gourds and it tasted horrible, they wanted their money back!

> A few years ago my wife bought some Swiss Chard. I had never had it
> before, checked out how it was best cooked tried it.... did not like
> it at all. I thought it was horrible. Maybe I should have tried to
> take it back. ;-)

(laugh) I really should have found out if they got a refund.

>> That just struck me as funny. You're not supposed to eat them!
>> Go find a squash! I didn't find out if they returned their money.
>> Even if it was edible, I thought $5 was a lot to pay if I did think
>> it was some squash. They are very light.

> $5 is a lot to pay for a gourd.

It's a decorative thing, all those things are pricey this time of the year.
Like some evergreen fronds with a ribbon shouldn't cost so much but
in December, they do.

Speaking of decorations, driving around this morning I was surprised
to see many people are going all out with the fall/Halloween displays
this year. Maybe Christmas will be brighter, literally ... a couple of
years now it's been subdued.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Speaking of decorations, driving around this morning I was surprised
> to see many people are going all out with the fall/Halloween displays
> this year. *Maybe Christmas will be brighter, literally ... a couple of
> years now it's been subdued. *
>
> nancy

I haven't noticed any lessening of Christmas displays or Halloween -
actually, every year they seem more over-the-top. It's nothing like
the "energy crisis" of the 70s, when Chicago, etc., had no Christmas
lights or displays downtown, and it was patriotic not to put up
Christmas lights.

Apparently the amount spent on decorations = first is Christmas, and
second is Halloween. There are more and more H'ween display items
offered for sale every year.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:
>> Speaking of decorations, driving around this morning I was
>> surprised
>> to see many people are going all out with the fall/Halloween
>> displays
>> this year. Maybe Christmas will be brighter, literally ... a couple
>> of years now it's been subdued.
>>
>> nancy

> I haven't noticed any lessening of Christmas displays or Halloween -
> actually, every year they seem more over-the-top. It's nothing like
> the "energy crisis" of the 70s, when Chicago, etc., had no Christmas
> lights or displays downtown, and it was patriotic not to put up
> Christmas lights.
>
> Apparently the amount spent on decorations = first is Christmas,
> and
> second is Halloween. There are more and more H'ween display items
> offered for sale every year.
>
> N.

Dollar stores have oodles. For a few dollars, you can have quite a
display.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 14/10/2010 12:42 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:

>> A few years ago my wife bought some Swiss Chard. I had never had it
>> before, checked out how it was best cooked tried it.... did not like
>> it at all. I thought it was horrible. Maybe I should have tried to
>> take it back. ;-)

> (laugh) I really should have found out if they got a refund.

I doubt it. You can take things back to a store if it is defective. You
can't take things back to a fruit stand because you didn't like it.

>> $5 is a lot to pay for a gourd.

> It's a decorative thing, all those things are pricey this time of the year.
> Like some evergreen fronds with a ribbon shouldn't cost so much but
> in December, they do.

My wife does the Thanksgiving fall decoration thing and uses gourds.
They are usually no more than $1 each around here.

> Speaking of decorations, driving around this morning I was surprised
> to see many people are going all out with the fall/Halloween displays
> this year. Maybe Christmas will be brighter, literally ... a couple of
> years now it's been subdued.

Maybe it depends on where you live. I am in a rural area and a lot of
people do things with corn stalks, bales of straw and pumpkins. I am
surprised that they actually sell bundles of corn stalks. I just go back
to my neighbour's corn field and cut a bunch of stalks that the cobs
have already been removed from. I don't know if he used a harvester that
doesn't damage the stalks or of the deer and raccoons got them all, but
it's no lose to him.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dora wrote:
> Nancy2 wrote:
>>> Speaking of decorations, driving around this morning I was
>>> surprised
>>> to see many people are going all out with the fall/Halloween
>>> displays
>>> this year. Maybe Christmas will be brighter, literally ... a couple
>>> of years now it's been subdued.

>> Apparently the amount spent on decorations = first is Christmas,
>> and
>> second is Halloween. There are more and more H'ween display items
>> offered for sale every year.

> Dollar stores have oodles. For a few dollars, you can have quite a
> display.

Used to be I'd see stuff like big posterboard pumpkins taped the
the front window, that would be a Halloween decorated house!
Heh. In recent years I started seeing orange lights on some houses
like Christmas lights. When I was walking the other night I saw
orange light string cobwebs, very cute. Some of those big lawn
globes.

Too bad we don't get trick or treaters anymore (only a handful) and
there is a curfew. Halloween decorations the kids won't see when
they make their rounds.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> On 14/10/2010 12:42 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
>> Dave Smith wrote:

>>> A few years ago my wife bought some Swiss Chard. I had never had it
>>> before, checked out how it was best cooked tried it.... did not like
>>> it at all. I thought it was horrible. Maybe I should have tried to
>>> take it back. ;-)

>> (laugh) I really should have found out if they got a refund.

> I doubt it. You can take things back to a store if it is defective.
> You can't take things back to a fruit stand because you didn't like
> it.

It's a family farm stand. All bets are off if they wanted to give the
money back or not.

>>> $5 is a lot to pay for a gourd.

>> It's a decorative thing, all those things are pricey this time of
>> the year. Like some evergreen fronds with a ribbon shouldn't cost so
>> much but
>> in December, they do.

> My wife does the Thanksgiving fall decoration thing and uses gourds.
> They are usually no more than $1 each around here.

The little ones cost that here. These are bigger, like a small pumpkin.
Anyway, I'm not complaining about the price, it was okay with me.
Squashes cost less, though, per pound. Here.

>> Speaking of decorations, driving around this morning I was surprised
>> to see many people are going all out with the fall/Halloween displays
>> this year. Maybe Christmas will be brighter, literally ... a couple
>> of years now it's been subdued.

> Maybe it depends on where you live. I am in a rural area and a lot of
> people do things with corn stalks, bales of straw and pumpkins.

We have a lot of that here, too, I have pumpkins/mums/Indian corn
myself. This year the displays are more elaborate than in the past,
like they're trying to outdo each other a la Christmas displays.
Looks cute. But the Halloween stuff was more surprising to me
than just the generic fall stuff. Surprising is probably not the right
word, just it's gotten to be more widespread and less old-pillowcase-
ghosts-in-trees than I've seen before.

> I am
> surprised that they actually sell bundles of corn stalks. I just go
> back to my neighbour's corn field and cut a bunch of stalks that the
> cobs have already been removed from.

While we do have corn fields here, they are not in my back yard
and I wouldn't presume to trespass on some farm to take their
stalks, especially if the farmer is selling them.

> I don't know if he used a
> harvester that doesn't damage the stalks or of the deer and raccoons
> got them all, but it's no lose to him.

Obviously he doesn't mind you taking his corn stalks, he's your
neighbor. The way I see it, if the farmers can find another income
source by selling what would normally be compost, good for them.

nancy

Decorative utensils Christopher M.[_3_] General Cooking 8 06-01-2012 02:15 PM
A Primer On Pie Recipes For Pie-Throwing Purposes Mark Thorson General Cooking 0 01-11-2009 07:33 PM
Decorative tiles Maciej Zabawa Baking 1 18-10-2007 12:33 PM
Decorative tiles Maciej Zabawa General Cooking 0 18-10-2007 11:55 AM
for medicinal purposes Eddie Grove Chocolate 0 24-11-2004 06:01 AM