Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cooked radishes

Any one do it? I have only ever eaten radishes in a salad raw. Now I see
that, like any other root vegetable, they can be cooked. Hubby went to the
store.....they had a 'deal'...need I say more? Any ideas? What would go good
with them (ingredient wise). Whaddaya think of them cooked? Good, bad,
excellent or vomitorious?
-ginny

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 12:29:10 -0500, "Virginia Tadrzynski"
> wrote:

>Any one do it? I have only ever eaten radishes in a salad raw. Now I see
>that, like any other root vegetable, they can be cooked. Hubby went to the
>store.....they had a 'deal'...need I say more? Any ideas? What would go good
>with them (ingredient wise). Whaddaya think of them cooked? Good, bad,
>excellent or vomitorious?
>-ginny

Stir-fry. I use them all the time.

Google "radish stir fry" This looks pretty good.

http://www.fabulousfoods.com/recipes/article/127/18260

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
> Any one do it? I have only ever eaten radishes in a salad raw. Now I see
> that, like any other root vegetable, they can be cooked. Hubby went to the
> store.....they had a 'deal'...need I say more? Any ideas? What would go good
> with them (ingredient wise). Whaddaya think of them cooked? Good, bad,
> excellent or vomitorious?
> -ginny

They make a good soup. (seriously) I was surprised the first time I
tried it.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 11:40:17 -0600, Lou Decruss wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 12:29:10 -0500, "Virginia Tadrzynski"
> > wrote:
>
>>Any one do it? I have only ever eaten radishes in a salad raw. Now I see
>>that, like any other root vegetable, they can be cooked. Hubby went to the
>>store.....they had a 'deal'...need I say more? Any ideas? What would go good
>>with them (ingredient wise). Whaddaya think of them cooked? Good, bad,
>>excellent or vomitorious?
>>-ginny
>>

> Stir-fry. I use them all the time.
>
> Google "radish stir fry" This looks pretty good.
>
> http://www.fabulousfoods.com/recipes/article/127/18260
>
> Lou

i've never used them in a stir-fry, but i can see where they might be good.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 12:57:10 -0500, blake murphy
> wrote:

>On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 11:40:17 -0600, Lou Decruss wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 12:29:10 -0500, "Virginia Tadrzynski"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>Any one do it? I have only ever eaten radishes in a salad raw. Now I see
>>>that, like any other root vegetable, they can be cooked. Hubby went to the
>>>store.....they had a 'deal'...need I say more? Any ideas? What would go good
>>>with them (ingredient wise). Whaddaya think of them cooked? Good, bad,
>>>excellent or vomitorious?
>>>-ginny
>>>

>> Stir-fry. I use them all the time.
>>
>> Google "radish stir fry" This looks pretty good.
>>
>> http://www.fabulousfoods.com/recipes/article/127/18260
>>
>> Lou

>i've never used them in a stir-fry, but i can see where they might be good.

If you like radishes they're great. They give a nice crunch like
water chestnuts.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 29, 12:29 pm, "Virginia Tadrzynski" > wrote:
> Any one do it? I have only ever eaten radishes in a salad raw. Now I see
> that, like any other root vegetable, they can be cooked. Hubby went to the
> store.....they had a 'deal'...need I say more? Any ideas? What would go good
> with them (ingredient wise). Whaddaya think of them cooked? Good, bad,
> excellent or vomitorious?
> -ginny

Fully cooked, they get unexpectedly *sweet*! Good whole with a little
white sauce.

--
Silvar Beitel
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 11:44:59 -0600, zxcvbob >
wrote:

>Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
>> Any one do it? I have only ever eaten radishes in a salad raw. Now I see
>> that, like any other root vegetable, they can be cooked. Hubby went to the
>> store.....they had a 'deal'...need I say more? Any ideas? What would go good
>> with them (ingredient wise). Whaddaya think of them cooked? Good, bad,
>> excellent or vomitorious?
>> -ginny
>>

>They make a good soup. (seriously) I was surprised the first time I
>tried it.
>
>Bob

Yep! Soup is great!

I suggest cooked on the pan but with no oil, and with other
vegetables. Add then crude 100% olive oil.

With chicory they make a great alternative salad, when you are tired
of the usual lettuce.

If you have more ideas, please tell them.

--
http://shop-for-computer.com - Best Pc Deals, Refurbished Deals

http://shop-for-clothes.com - Shoes, Handbags, Shirts, Coats

http://shop-for-car.com - Huge Car Deals, Auto Parts
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Virginia Tadrzynski" > wrote in message
> Any one do it? I have only ever eaten radishes in a salad raw. Now I see
> that, like any other root vegetable, they can be cooked. Hubby went to
> the store.....they had a 'deal'...need I say more? Any ideas? What would
> go good with them (ingredient wise). Whaddaya think of them cooked? Good,
> bad, excellent or vomitorious?
> -ginny

Sauté some sugar snap peas and scallions and radishes in some butter. It
really is a nice, simple and delicious side dish. You might also try
asparagus.

Hasta,
Curt Nelson

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Jan 29, 9:29 am, "Virginia Tadrzynski" > wrote:
> Any one do it? I have only ever eaten radishes in a salad raw. Now I see
> that, like any other root vegetable, they can be cooked. Hubby went to the
> store.....they had a 'deal'...need I say more? Any ideas? What would go good
> with them (ingredient wise). Whaddaya think of them cooked? Good, bad,
> excellent or vomitorious?
> -ginny

I've read that you can glaze them, like turnips or carrots, to
moderate their spiciness. Simmer with butter, salt, sugar, water or
stock until liquid is mostly gone. But I've never done it. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 11:40:17 -0600, Lou Decruss wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 12:29:10 -0500, "Virginia Tadrzynski"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>Any one do it? I have only ever eaten radishes in a salad raw. Now I see
>>>that, like any other root vegetable, they can be cooked. Hubby went to
>>>the
>>>store.....they had a 'deal'...need I say more? Any ideas? What would go
>>>good
>>>with them (ingredient wise). Whaddaya think of them cooked? Good, bad,
>>>excellent or vomitorious?
>>>-ginny
>>>

>> Stir-fry. I use them all the time.
>>
>> Google "radish stir fry" This looks pretty good.
>>
>> http://www.fabulousfoods.com/recipes/article/127/18260
>>
>> Lou

> i've never used them in a stir-fry, but i can see where they might be
> good.
>
> your pal,
> blake

I have grown white Icicle radishes for many years and used them in stir fry.
They are very good. Haven't tried with the more common red radishes.

JonquilJan

Learn something new every day
As long as you are learning, you are living
When you stop learning, you start dying

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/29/2010 12:29, Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
> Any one do it? I have only ever eaten radishes in a salad raw. Now I see
> that, like any other root vegetable, they can be cooked. Hubby went to the
> store.....they had a 'deal'...need I say more? Any ideas? What would go good
> with them (ingredient wise). Whaddaya think of them cooked? Good, bad,
> excellent or vomitorious?
> -ginny

Sure, great for texture in soups ans stir fries. I usually use daikon
(the big white Japanese radish).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 11:40:17 -0600, Lou Decruss wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 12:29:10 -0500, "Virginia Tadrzynski"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Any one do it? I have only ever eaten radishes in a salad raw. Now
>>> I see that, like any other root vegetable, they can be cooked.
>>> Hubby went to the store.....they had a 'deal'...need I say more?
>>> Any ideas? What would go good with them (ingredient wise).
>>> Whaddaya think of them cooked? Good, bad, excellent or vomitorious?
>>> -ginny
>>>

>> Stir-fry. I use them all the time.
>>
>> Google "radish stir fry" This looks pretty good.
>>
>> http://www.fabulousfoods.com/recipes/article/127/18260
>>
>> Lou

> i've never used them in a stir-fry, but i can see where they might be
> good.

Asian markets have Daikon and other types of radishes, all are good for
stir - fry or to put in soups or stews.

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 12:03:42 -0600, Lou Decruss wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 12:57:10 -0500, blake murphy
> > wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 11:40:17 -0600, Lou Decruss wrote:
>>
>>> On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 12:29:10 -0500, "Virginia Tadrzynski"

>>> Stir-fry. I use them all the time.
>>>
>>> Google "radish stir fry" This looks pretty good.
>>>
>>> http://www.fabulousfoods.com/recipes/article/127/18260
>>>
>>> Lou

>>i've never used them in a stir-fry, but i can see where they might be good.

> If you like radishes they're great. They give a nice crunch like
> water chestnuts.
>
> Lou

that's what i'm thinking.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 10:35:43 -0600, Gregory Morrow wrote:

> blake murphy wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 11:40:17 -0600, Lou Decruss wrote:
>>
>>> On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 12:29:10 -0500, "Virginia Tadrzynski"

>>> Stir-fry. I use them all the time.
>>>
>>> Google "radish stir fry" This looks pretty good.
>>>
>>> http://www.fabulousfoods.com/recipes/article/127/18260
>>>
>>> Lou

>> i've never used them in a stir-fry, but i can see where they might be
>> good.

> Asian markets have Daikon and other types of radishes, all are good for
> stir - fry or to put in soups or stews.

i know daikon is referred to as a radish, but i don't think of it that way.
it lacks any kind of 'bite' (taste, not texture).

your pal,
blake

I am roasting radishes! Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 27 14-01-2015 11:22 PM
Salting radishes Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 17 29-11-2014 05:42 AM
Radishes Julie Bove[_2_] Diabetic 4 01-06-2013 04:07 AM
A rumble of radishes maxine in ri General Cooking 14 30-05-2009 02:00 PM
Cooked radishes biig General Cooking 3 09-06-2005 05:27 PM