Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I am roasting radishes!

I wound up not being able to go back to bed so I know I will likely crash
hard later. Between my gardener coming and deciding to fix the fence that
partially blew over recently and whatever they are doing across the street
and next door, there was just plain too much noise for even *me* to sleep.

And it didn't warm up much either. 47 outside but I watched the news and
they said that not only will it not get much warmer but we are in for more
terrible fog for the next 3 days. I did put the heat on but decided that it
would also be a good time to use the oven. So...

On a whim, I bought a bag of mini squash at Costco. Yellow and green patty
pan and zucchini. I saved out a few of the zucchini for the soup I will
make on another day with the leftover pot roast in the freezer. Put the
rest in a pan with an onion, baby carrots, one red bell pepper (did not have
any more) and a bunch of radishes. Everything washed and trimmed of course.
Mixed with salt, pepper and olive oil. They smell soooo good roasting!

Can't wait to taste a roasted radish. I had planned to eat them raw with
that pot of chili that I made but someone else found the chili first and
there is only one serving left for me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

And just no. That was one of the most vile things I have ever tasted. I
like them raw but like broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage, I will pass on
them cooked.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > Wrote in message:

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>
> And just no. That was one of the most vile things I have ever tasted. I
> like them raw but like broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage, I will pass on
> them cooked.

I don't like them roasted either. As for cold we've been in the
teens last few days bbrrrrrrr
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, January 8, 2015 at 5:25:14 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>
> And just no. That was one of the most vile things I have ever tasted. I
> like them raw but like broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage, I will pass on
> them cooked.

Gee, imagine that. A 57389790749723490272 word essay about you and your idiotic life and problems, followed up by "oh I didn't like that". You're such a boring troll.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8-Jan-2015, Cheryl > wrote:

> "Julie Bove" > Wrote in message:
> >
> > "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> >
> > And just no. That was one of the most vile things I have ever tasted.
> > like them raw but like broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage, I will pass on
> >
> > them cooked.
> >

> I don't like them roasted either.

I am compelled to say - roasted is the only way I like radishes. I
regularly buy bunch radishes, with greens attached, roast the radishes and
saute the greens. Yummmmmm!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Roasted Radishes with Radish Greens

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

3 bunches small radishes -- with greens attached
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

Preheat the oven to 500°. Trim the radishes and wash the greens; pat dry.

In a large ovenproof skillet, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the
radishes, season with salt and pepper and cook over high heat, stirring
occasionally, until lightly browned in spots, about 2 minutes. Transfer the
skillet to the oven and roast the radishes for 15 minutes, until
crisp-tender.

Return the skillet to the burner and stir in the butter to coat the
radishes. Add the radish greens and cook over moderate heat until they are
wilted, about 2 minutes. Add the lemon juice and season with salt. Serve the
radishes right away.

Source:
"Food & Wine (March 2009)"
S(Internet Address):
"http://thebittenword.typepad.com/thebittenword/2009/05/roasted-radishes-with-radish-greens.html"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 75 Calories; 8g Fat (97.2% calories
from fat); trace Protein; trace Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 10mg
Cholesterol; 1mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1 1/2 Fat.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0

--
Change Cujo to Juno for email.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/8/2015 6:24 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>
> And just no.

That was the Roasted Radish Report, brought to you on this local station
by Julie Bove. :-D

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown > wrote:
> On 1/8/2015 6:24 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> And just no.

> That was the Roasted Radish Report, brought to you on this local station by Julie Bove. :-D
>
> Jill

You had to have known the outcome of that experiment!
--
jinx the minx
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote:

>I don't like them roasted either.

Radishes are very good stir fried in oriental dishes, especially
daikon... also very nice in oriental soups.
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/pan-fried-daikon-cake/
http://www.ripleyorganicfarm.com/chi...aikon-stir-fry
http://www.shellyinreallife.com/2013...ikon-soup.html
http://realfoodforager.com/recipe-as...mushroom-soup/
http://www.pickledplum.com/daikon-chicken-soup-recipe/
http://localfoods.about.com/od/sprin...aikon-Soup.htm
http://allrecipes.asia/recipe/2243/m...-.aspx?o_is=SR
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Miss Kitty wrote:
>Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> And just no. That was one of the most vile things I have ever tasted. I
>> like them raw but like broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage, I will pass on
>> them cooked.

>Gee, imagine that. A 57389790749723490272 word essay about you and your idiotic life and problems, followed up by "oh I didn't like that". You're such a boring troll.

I can't figure out why the Bove is subscribed to a cooking group... to
date she's not once posted anything even remotely a recipe... the
closest the Bove comes to cooking is opening diet soda cans, by the
hundreds each week. The Julie Bove Cookbook of Dishes She Can't Eat:
http://magazine.foxnews.com/food-wel...make-coca-cola
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/9/2015 10:59 AM, jinx the minx wrote:
> jmcquown > wrote:
>> On 1/8/2015 6:24 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> And just no.

>> That was the Roasted Radish Report, brought to you on this local station by Julie Bove. :-D
>>
>> Jill

> You had to have known the outcome of that experiment!

To think some people question the entertainment value of these posts.

I'm *terribly* sorry I didn't write to announce I don't like roasted
rutabega/swede! Many people here recommended trying it roasted. Turned
out I simply don't like rutabega. Doesn't matter how it's cooked.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown > wrote:
> On 1/9/2015 10:59 AM, jinx the minx wrote:
>> jmcquown > wrote:

>>> That was the Roasted Radish Report, brought to you on this local
>>> station by Julie Bove. :-D
>>>
>>> Jill

>> You had to have known the outcome of that experiment!
>>

> To think some people question the entertainment value of these posts.
>
> I'm *terribly* sorry I didn't write to announce I don't like roasted
> rutabega/swede! Many people here recommended trying it roasted. Turned
> out I simply don't like rutabega. Doesn't matter how it's cooked.
>
> Jill

I don't care for them, either. Then again, I haven't tried them recently.
My mom loves them, so they were not an uncommon occurrence during my
childhood dinners.
--
jinx the minx
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, January 8, 2015 at 11:32:56 PM UTC-5, Miss Kitty wrote:
> On Thursday, January 8, 2015 at 5:25:14 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
> > "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> >
> > And just no. That was one of the most vile things I have ever tasted. I
> > like them raw but like broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage, I will pass on
> > them cooked.

> Gee, imagine that. A 57389790749723490272 word essay about you and your idiotic life and problems, followed up by "oh I didn't like that". You're such a boring troll.

Whaddaya want? Poetry? She's a WRITE-uh !!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/9/2015 12:25 PM, jinx the minx wrote:
> jmcquown > wrote:

>>> You had to have known the outcome of that experiment!
>>>

>> To think some people question the entertainment value of these posts.
>>
>> I'm *terribly* sorry I didn't write to announce I don't like roasted
>> rutabega/swede! Many people here recommended trying it roasted. Turned
>> out I simply don't like rutabega. Doesn't matter how it's cooked.
>>
>> Jill

> I don't care for them, either. Then again, I haven't tried them recently.
> My mom loves them, so they were not an uncommon occurrence during my
> childhood dinners.

My parents loved rutabegas. Turnips, too. Mom used to sneak turnips
into beef stew. One bite, that was not a potato that was a turnip.

The woman at the farm stand (along with people here on RFC) said oh,
you'll really like rutabega if you roast it. So sorry, I don't. Now
that I've had them cooked every which way I know for sure I don't like
rutabega. One less thing to put on my shopping list.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, January 9, 2015 at 11:26:28 AM UTC-6, Jinx the Minx wrote:
> jmcquown > wrote:

> >> You had to have known the outcome of that experiment!
> >>

> > To think some people question the entertainment value of these posts.
> >
> > I'm *terribly* sorry I didn't write to announce I don't like roasted
> > rutabega/swede! Many people here recommended trying it roasted. Turned
> > out I simply don't like rutabega. Doesn't matter how it's cooked.
> >
> > Jill

> I don't care for them, either. Then again, I haven't tried them recently.
> My mom loves them, so they were not an uncommon occurrence during my
> childhood dinners.

We had them frequently when I was a kid, too. My folks grew them. I don't remember anything about them, really. I'll have to pick one up next time I go grocery shopping.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Miss Kitty > wrote:
> On Friday, January 9, 2015 at 11:26:28 AM UTC-6, Jinx the Minx wrote:
>> jmcquown > wrote:

>>> To think some people question the entertainment value of these posts.
>>>
>>> I'm *terribly* sorry I didn't write to announce I don't like roasted
>>> rutabega/swede! Many people here recommended trying it roasted. Turned
>>> out I simply don't like rutabega. Doesn't matter how it's cooked.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> I don't care for them, either. Then again, I haven't tried them recently.
>> My mom loves them, so they were not an uncommon occurrence during my
>> childhood dinners.

> We had them frequently when I was a kid, too. My folks grew them. I
> don't remember anything about them, really. I'll have to pick one up
> next time I go grocery shopping.

I have that same idea too, if only to say I gave them a fair shot. We
always had them boiled and fork smashed, so I'll have to try it roasted.
--
jinx the minx
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/9/2015 10:19 PM, jinx the minx wrote:
> Miss Kitty > wrote:

>>> I don't care for them, either. Then again, I haven't tried them recently.
>>> My mom loves them, so they were not an uncommon occurrence during my
>>> childhood dinners.

>> We had them frequently when I was a kid, too. My folks grew them. I
>> don't remember anything about them, really. I'll have to pick one up
>> next time I go grocery shopping.

> I have that same idea too, if only to say I gave them a fair shot. We
> always had them boiled and fork smashed, so I'll have to try it roasted.

Same here, Cheryl. I gave them a fair shot last year, now I know for
sure I simply don't like rutabega.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 9 Jan 2015 17:25:57 +0000 (UTC), jinx the minx
> wrote:

> jmcquown > wrote:

> >> You had to have known the outcome of that experiment!
> >>

> > To think some people question the entertainment value of these posts.
> >
> > I'm *terribly* sorry I didn't write to announce I don't like roasted
> > rutabega/swede! Many people here recommended trying it roasted. Turned
> > out I simply don't like rutabega. Doesn't matter how it's cooked.
> >
> > Jill

> I don't care for them, either. Then again, I haven't tried them recently.
> My mom loves them, so they were not an uncommon occurrence during my
> childhood dinners.

I can't say I've ever tried to eat root vegetables like turnip,
rutabaga and parsnip alone, but they are great when added to a
multi-bean soup in small amounts because they add another level of
flavor that I like. I'm particularly fond of parsnip, which I think
adds a peppery bite (which is not how it's described on Google).

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 8 Jan 2015 15:24:51 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>
> And just no. That was one of the most vile things I have ever tasted. I
> like them raw but like broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage, I will pass on
> them cooked.

They roasted radishes on The Kitchen today. Apparently a roasted
radish tastes like turnip. My take away from it is you won't like
roasted radish if you don't like turnip.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, January 10, 2015 at 5:07:03 PM UTC-6, sf wrote:

> They roasted radishes on The Kitchen today. Apparently a roasted
> radish tastes like turnip. My take away from it is you won't like
> roasted radish if you don't like turnip.

I love turnips, I'll have to give the roasted radish a try.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, January 9, 2015 at 7:19:42 PM UTC-6, jmcquown wrote:

> My parents loved rutabegas. Turnips, too. Mom used to sneak turnips
> into beef stew. One bite, that was not a potato that was a turnip.

My mother was not a sneak like yours. Though she did sometimes put
nasty-ass turnips in the stew, she always cut them a different shape
than the potatoes so my brother and I could avoid putting nasty-ass
turnips onto our plates. She even always reminded us at the beginning
of the meal.

> Jill

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/13/2015 4:00 PM, Bruce wrote:
>> On Friday, January 9, 2015 at 7:19:42 PM UTC-6, jmcquown wrote:
>>>

>>> My parents loved rutabegas. Turnips, too. Mom used to sneak turnips
>>> into beef stew. One bite, that was not a potato that was a turnip.
>>>

>> My mother was not a sneak like yours. Though she did sometimes put
>> nasty-ass turnips in the stew, she always cut them a different shape
>> than the potatoes so my brother and I could avoid putting nasty-ass
>> turnips onto our plates. She even always reminded us at the beginning
>> of the meal.

Bryan had to be reminded? Heh.

> My mother was not a sneak like yours. She never put turnips in stew.

I would not characterize my mother as a sneak. Mom and my father both
liked turnips so at some point one or both of them said hey, let's add
some turnips to the beef stew. Mom cut them the same size as the
potatoes but there's a distinct difference in the taste. She let us
figure it out. We weren't forced to eat them. Turnips also didn't
overwhelm the stew.

She and my father also loved turnips boiled and mashed along with boiled
(also mashed) carrots. Um, no thanks to that particular dish, either.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 14 Jan 2015 12:29:54 +1100, Bruce > wrote:

>On Tue, 13 Jan 2015 20:07:23 -0500, jmcquown >
>wrote:

>>Bryan had to be reminded? Heh.
>>
>>> My mother was not a sneak like yours. She never put turnips in stew.
>>>

>>I would not characterize my mother as a sneak.

>I didn't call her a sneak either. I was only returning the favor to
>Bryan.

Figures Bruthie would be very interested in Bwrrryan's radish...
widdle Bruthie is waiting with bated breath for Bwrrryan's daikon to
poke his chubby nether pucker.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 15/01/2015 7:59 AM, Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Jan 2015 14:36:56 -0500, Brooklyn1
> > wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 14 Jan 2015 12:29:54 +1100, Bruce > wrote:

>>> I didn't call her a sneak either. I was only returning the favor to
>>> Bryan.

>> Figures Bruthie would be very interested in Bwrrryan's radish...
>> widdle Bruthie is waiting with bated breath for Bwrrryan's daikon to
>> poke his chubby nether pucker.

> You're talking too much *** talk, Shelly. Quick, make some big boob
> comments before everybody sees through you.

You mean he isn't ***?

--

Xeno.

Salting radishes Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 17 29-11-2014 05:42 AM
Radishes Julie Bove[_2_] Diabetic 4 01-06-2013 04:07 AM
Braised Radishes maxine in ri General Cooking 0 31-05-2009 01:30 AM
A rumble of radishes maxine in ri General Cooking 14 30-05-2009 02:00 PM
Cooked radishes biig General Cooking 3 09-06-2005 05:27 PM