Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default A rumble of radishes

CSA this week came in with lots more greens, and a huge bunch of
radishes (close to a pound, with greens). We already had a package in
the fridge we were slowly making our way through.

Suggestions on what to do with this bounty?

maxine in ri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine in ri wrote:
> CSA this week came in with lots more greens, and a huge bunch of
> radishes (close to a pound, with greens). We already had a package in
> the fridge we were slowly making our way through.
>
> Suggestions on what to do with this bounty?
>
> maxine in ri

Eat the greens, pickle the radishes, makes them last longer.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 29 May 2009 11:28:50 -0700 (PDT), maxine in ri
> wrote:

>Suggestions on what to do with this bounty?

I love radishes simmered in chicken stock until tender. Serve
buttered for a nice side dish.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"maxine in ri" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> CSA this week came in with lots more greens, and a huge bunch of
> radishes (close to a pound, with greens). We already had a package in
> the fridge we were slowly making our way through.
>
> Suggestions on what to do with this bounty?

If they're red radishes :

- eat with a pinch of salt
- slice thinly, serve on buttered rye-bread
- slice thinly, mix with lettuce and a vinaigrette

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
maxine in ri > wrote:

> CSA this week came in with lots more greens, and a huge bunch of
> radishes (close to a pound, with greens). We already had a package in
> the fridge we were slowly making our way through.
>
> Suggestions on what to do with this bounty?
>
> maxine in ri

Butter a slice of bread. Thinly slice a couple few radishes on top of
it. Sprinkle with a few grains of salt. Top with another slice of
buttered bread. Eat the sandwich.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - good news 4-6-2009

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 29 May 2009 15:34:09 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article
>,
> maxine in ri > wrote:
>
>> CSA this week came in with lots more greens, and a huge bunch of
>> radishes (close to a pound, with greens). We already had a package in
>> the fridge we were slowly making our way through.
>>
>> Suggestions on what to do with this bounty?
>>
>> maxine in ri

>Butter a slice of bread. Thinly slice a couple few radishes on top of
>it. Sprinkle with a few grains of salt. Top with another slice of
>buttered bread. Eat the sandwich.

add a slice of swiss to the sandwich
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article
> >,
> maxine in ri > wrote:
>
>> CSA this week came in with lots more greens, and a huge bunch of
>> radishes (close to a pound, with greens). We already had a package in
>> the fridge we were slowly making our way through.
>>
>> Suggestions on what to do with this bounty?
>>
>> maxine in ri

> Butter a slice of bread. Thinly slice a couple few radishes on top of
> it. Sprinkle with a few grains of salt. Top with another slice of
> buttered bread. Eat the sandwich.

Sammiche is even better on olde world pumpernickle with some tiny brisling
sardines and a slice of sweet onyun... ach, und a brewski.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 29, 1:28*pm, maxine in ri > wrote:
> CSA this week came in with lots more greens, and a huge bunch of
> radishes (close to a pound, with greens). *We already had a package in
> the fridge we were slowly making our way through.
>
> Suggestions on what to do with this bounty?
>
> maxine in ri

=========================

Make Chinese Radish Fans.

Get a really really sharp knife and (carefully!!!) make little
vertical slices across the radish. Don't slice all the way through the
radish. This is easier to do if you put the radish in a wooden spoon.
Leave them attached like you would for hasselback potatoes.

Put the radishes in a sealable container and dump in a teaspoon of
salt and a teaspoon of sugar. Refrigerate for several hours or
overnight. Drain thoroughly.

Put the radish between your thumb and index finger and "fan it out".
Like spreading a hand of cards.

I haven made these in years, but they have a pleasant taste and retain
a surprising amount of "bite" and crunch. You could probably vary the
flavorings, but the salt is essential.

Lynn from Fargo
wish I had a digital camera or a scanner!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC Radish Sauce for salmon (was A rumble of radishes)

maxine in ri wrote:
> CSA this week came in with lots more greens, and a huge bunch of
> radishes (close to a pound, with greens). We already had a package in
> the fridge we were slowly making our way through.
>
> Suggestions on what to do with this bounty?
>
> maxine in ri

I have made this a few times for company and while it takes
some effort, it's tasty.

Red Radish Dill Sauce for salmon

1/2 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 shallot, finely chopped
1 cup unsalted butter
1/4 tsp, finely ground white pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
8 large red radishes, washed and trimmed
3 Tbsp chopped fresh dill
1 Tbsp prepared white horseradish, drained

In a medium saucepan combine wine, cream and shallot.

Heat to simmer and cook over medium heat until reduced to
1/2 cup, about 10 minutes.
reduce heat to low and whisk in 1 cup butter, 1-2 Tbsp at a
time. Season with white
pepper and salt. Remove sauce from heat.

Cut 12 thin slices from radishes for garnish, set aside in a
bowl of cold water.
Finely chop remaining radishes and add to sauce, stir in
dill and horseradish, set aside.

Prepare salmon by grilling or flouring lightly and sauteeing
in butter.

Warm the sauce over low heat and divide among 4 heated
plates. Place salmon on top of sauce and garnish with
reserved radish slivers and sprigs of dill.

Note: I don't see why you couldn't use this same sauce for
flounder or other mild white fish.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Puester wrote on Fri, 29 May 2009 16:16:08 -0600:

> maxine in ri wrote:
>> CSA this week came in with lots more greens, and a huge bunch
>> of radishes (close to a pound, with greens). We already had a
>> package in the fridge we were slowly making our way
>> through.
>>
>> Suggestions on what to do with this bounty?
>>
>> maxine in ri

> I have made this a few times for company and while it takes some
> effort, it's tasty.

> Red Radish Dill Sauce for salmon

I'd never thought of putting radishes into a sauce for salmon.I'll have
to try adding it to my standard cucumber-dill sauce next time.

Thanks!

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine in ri wrote:

> CSA this week came in with lots more greens, and a huge bunch of
> radishes (close to a pound, with greens). We already had a package in
> the fridge we were slowly making our way through.
>
> Suggestions on what to do with this bounty?
>
> maxine in ri

Slice or cut into wedges. Sprinkle with soy sauce, bit of rice vinegar,
a pinch of sugar and a few drops of dark sesame oil.

Eat with Polish rye bread and spreadable white (curd) cheese.

Cut up into any salad. Goes well with cucumbers.

Slice thinly and put on buttered bread.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
maxine in ri > wrote:

> CSA this week came in with lots more greens, and a huge bunch of
> radishes (close to a pound, with greens). We already had a package in
> the fridge we were slowly making our way through.
>
> Suggestions on what to do with this bounty?
>
> maxine in ri

Maxine, Radishes are delicious steamed, stewed or pot roasted. :-)
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 29 May 2009 12:31:20p, Michael Kuettner told us...

> "maxine in ri" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> CSA this week came in with lots more greens, and a huge bunch of
>> radishes (close to a pound, with greens). We already had a package in
>> the fridge we were slowly making our way through.
>>
>> Suggestions on what to do with this bounty?
>>

> If they're red radishes :
>
> - eat with a pinch of salt
> - slice thinly, serve on buttered rye-bread
> - slice thinly, mix with lettuce and a vinaigrette
>
> Cheers,
>
> Michael Kuettner

Slice 1/8", steam 'til crisp-tender, combine with steamed or boiled crisp-
tender green beans, butter and dill weed.

--
Wayne Boatwright
An empty belly is the best cook. ~Estonian Proverb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine in ri wrote:
> CSA this week came in with lots more greens, and a huge bunch of
> radishes (close to a pound, with greens). We already had a package in
> the fridge we were slowly making our way through.
>
> Suggestions on what to do with this bounty?
>
> maxine in ri

A delicious and very simple side dish is sautéed radishes...
halve the radishes and sauté them in a little olive oil and butter. Add
salt, pepper and herbs to taste.
-mickey
Posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine in ri wrote:
> CSA this week came in with lots more greens, and a huge bunch of
> radishes (close to a pound, with greens). We already had a package in
> the fridge we were slowly making our way through.
>
> Suggestions on what to do with this bounty?
>
> maxine in ri

I've been having them for breakfast. Get up in the morning, set a cup
of tea to brewing, go out back with the dogs and check the garden. Pull
a handful of radishes (we're on our second crop now), twist off and
discard the greens, rinse under the hose spigot. Crunch down while
inspecting the tomatoes, pepper, pumpkins, and cantelopes.

Oh, and the snow peas, sugar snap peas and birdhouse gourds are coming
along nicely. Don't know what's up with the cucumbers. Failure to
thrive...

The herbs are doing well, too. Went to see my cousin yesterday and
brought her a bundle of fresh basil, dill, rosemary and thyme. She
gifted me with a dozen fresh eggs.

Shortly after I got home, DD and her boyfriend arrived, BF with a huge
rent in the knee of his jeans. I dragged out the trusty Kenmore and
darned them up for him, and fixed a tear in my daughter's jeans while I
was at it. The mends won't last (light weight, pre-washed denim).
They'll get maybe another dozen wearings out of them, but that's another
4 to 6 weeks before they have to be replaced.

Today I'll be making chicken stock.

Back in '84, when I graduated from college, those sort of things were
considered slightly weird hobbies... Affectations. I was some sort of
throw-back. And maybe so. But what comes around goes around. As my
grandmother said, "Use it up, make it do or do without".

Kathleen, Practioner of Arcane Domestic Arts

I am roasting radishes! Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 27 14-01-2015 11:22 PM
Salting radishes Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 17 29-11-2014 05:42 AM
Radishes Julie Bove[_2_] Diabetic 4 01-06-2013 04:07 AM
Braised Radishes maxine in ri General Cooking 0 31-05-2009 01:30 AM
Cooked radishes biig General Cooking 3 09-06-2005 05:27 PM