Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Do you wash brushes, wire mesh, etc. in machine diswahsher?

Do you wash brushes, wire mesh, etc. tht are made from plastic
material that you use in washing dishes and kitchen sink in machine
diswahsher to sanitize? If so, lower rack or upper?

What bout nonstick utensil and cutting board that ar enot made from
wood? And steel mixing bowl?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 9, 3:18*pm, Manda Ruby > wrote:
> Do you wash brushes, wire mesh, etc. tht are made from plastic
> material that you use in washing dishes and kitchen sink in machine
> diswahsher to sanitize? If so, lower rack or upper?
>
> What bout nonstick utensil and cutting board that ar enot made from
> wood? And steel mixing bowl?

Everything except my good knives.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I toss in the dish strainer every so often to get the crud out. I've
thrown in cutlery trays, sink strainers, all those little kitchen
things not eaten off, per se.

I don't use the heat element, so nothing's been wrecked so far.

Like Chemo stated, everything but the knives.

I know ppl who even toss in hairbrushes and combs.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" > wrote in message

> I toss in the dish strainer every so often to get the crud out. I've
> thrown in cutlery trays, sink strainers, all those little kitchen
> things not eaten off, per se.
>
> I don't use the heat element, so nothing's been wrecked so far.
>
> Like Chemo stated, everything but the knives.
>
> I know ppl who even toss in hairbrushes and combs.

....and fish.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 9, 6:47*pm, Stu > wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Dec 2009 15:18:50 -0800 (PST), Manda Ruby >
> wrote:
>
> -->Do you wash brushes, wire mesh, etc. tht are made from plastic
> -->material that you use in washing dishes and kitchen sink in machine
> -->diswahsher to sanitize? If so, lower rack or upper?
> -->
> -->What bout nonstick utensil and cutting board that ar enot made from
> -->wood? And steel mixing bowl?
>
> Wooden spoons NO wash by hand, all else top shelf of dishwasher

I don't put anything that's made with wood. I was just wondering about
sink brush, toothbrush (I keep a couple iat the kitchen sink)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 9, 4:18*pm, Manda Ruby > wrote:
> Do you wash brushes, wire mesh, etc. tht are made from plastic
> material that you use in washing dishes and kitchen sink in machine
> diswahsher to sanitize? If so, lower rack or upper?
>
> What bout nonstick utensil and cutting board that ar enot made from
> wood? And steel mixing bowl?

I hand wash (as I go when it's practical) my pots and pans, as well as
my good carving knives. Everything else, including plastics, goes in
the dishwasher, upper or lower, where ever things fit. Like Kalmia, I
don't use the heating element so I've never melted anything. Don't
use wooden spoons or cutting boards, so that's not an issue for me. I
run a rinse after dinner every night, and a full wash cycle when it
gets full - usually every two or three days.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
j h j h is offline

Default Do you wash brushes, wire mesh, etc. in machine dishwasher?

Yes, when needed. The dishwasher also does a good job on grates and
spill bowls from a gas range as well as mesh filters from the exhaust
fan (give them their own cycle). I also periodically clean wall switch
plates in the dishwasher. No heat drying.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Manda Ruby" > wrote in message
> Do you wash brushes, wire mesh, etc. tht are made from plastic
> material that you use in washing dishes and kitchen sink in machine
> diswahsher to sanitize? If so, lower rack or upper?
>
> What bout nonstick utensil and cutting board that ar enot made from
> wood? And steel mixing bowl?

While I put most everything into the dishwasher, I never liked the thought
of the scrub sponge, vegetable brush, hair brush (Ick!), and so on in the
machine. I have a bottle of Clorox spray that I use for the scrub sponge,
and I change my dish cloth and towels very often. When I was growing up, a
neighbor lady who was a great cook would use the same kitchen towel and bath
hand towel until they were stiff and gross!! Towels are so easy to wash.
My heavy wood carving board is never used for raw foods, but it still gets a
spray with Clorox when used. I put my wooden spoons in the DW with no
problem. I had one that was my favorite and it went into the DW for 25+
years. Then one day the garbage disposal was kind of plugged up. Well, I
grabbed my favorite wooden spoon to give it a poke. Of course the disposal
ate the end off of my spoon. I am a traditionalist with my kitchen tools.
I got a new set of beautiful stainless mixing bowls as a gift. I still grab
my good old Pyrex mixing bowls that are over thirty years old.

Later,

DP

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Virginia Tadrzynski" > wrote in message

> "Kalmia" > wrote in message
>>

>> I toss in the dish strainer every so often to get the crud out. I've
>> thrown in cutlery trays, sink strainers, all those little kitchen
>> things not eaten off, per se.
>>
>> I don't use the heat element, so nothing's been wrecked so far.
>>
>> Like Chemo stated, everything but the knives.
>>
>> I know ppl who even toss in hairbrushes and combs.

> ...and fish.

....and keyboards...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Manda Ruby wrote:

> Do you wash brushes, wire mesh, etc. tht are made from plastic
> material that you use in washing dishes and kitchen sink in machine
> diswahsher to sanitize? If so, lower rack or upper?

Definitely. I tend to put the brushes in the flatware rack on the
bottom level.

> What bout nonstick utensil and cutting board that ar enot made from
> wood? And steel mixing bowl?

I figure I live in the wrong century to tolerate much in my kitchen that
does not go in the dishwasher. If I have a knife that does not go in
the dishwasher, the problem isn't the dishwasher it's that I have the
wrong knife. If it does not fit in the dishwasher, the problem is I got
one too big so I should have gotten a smaller one.

We do have some old stuff that doesn't go in the machine. Some knives
that get put in anyways. A couple of cast iron skillets that are the
rare exception to the rule. Not a lot else.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 17:02:38 -0500, "Cheryl" >
wrote:

>"Virginia Tadrzynski" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Kalmia" > wrote in message
>>>

>>> I toss in the dish strainer every so often to get the crud out. I've
>>> thrown in cutlery trays, sink strainers, all those little kitchen
>>> things not eaten off, per se.
>>>
>>> I don't use the heat element, so nothing's been wrecked so far.
>>>
>>> Like Chemo stated, everything but the knives.
>>>
>>> I know ppl who even toss in hairbrushes and combs.

>> ...and fish.

>...and keyboards...

....and condoms on the top rack...

....and tampons on the bottom rack...

Brushes for Cooking Blinky the Shark General Cooking 14 04-04-2008 07:55 PM
silicone brushes readandpostrosie General Cooking 15 17-04-2006 04:34 PM
Commercial Frozen Fruit/Vegetables: To wash or not to wash? Dan Epstein Vegan 1 15-03-2005 08:16 AM
pastry brushes SWK Baking 6 21-07-2004 03:42 PM
Help, please. Want wire-mesh bowls, described here Nancree General Cooking 17 18-07-2004 06:17 AM