Nancree

Default Help, please. Want wire-mesh bowls, described here

I have just spent over an hour searching the web for pretty wire-mesh bowls
that I bought several years ago at one of those extinct kitchen supply stores.
These are attractive rigid bowls made entirely of mesh, except for a thin
rim at the top edge. The wire mesh is coated with some hard substance that
comes in different colors. I have an 8 inch black one and a smaller white one.
They also had other pretty colors. There are no "feet" on the bowl--it just
sits flat on the counter. Although they can be used as strainers, they are
prettier and more rigid than the strainers. (I have searched "strainers", and
"wire mesh bowls" to no avail.)
I leave mine on the countertop. I use it for ripening tomatoes, or
displaying fruit, or draining pasta. It rinses off quickly. I have a smaller
one to store tomatoes, etc. in the fridge. The closest thing I found on the
Web is a steel mesh strainer with a rim, and either feet, or a circle that
serves as feet. Useful. Not good-looking. Mesh is not rigid enough.
Any help most appreciated. TIA Nancree
Nancree
Bob

Nancree wrote:

> I have just spent over an hour searching the web for pretty wire-mesh
> bowls that I bought several years ago at one of those extinct kitchen
> supply stores.
> These are attractive rigid bowls made entirely of mesh, except for a
> thin rim at the top edge. The wire mesh is coated with some hard
> substance that comes in different colors. I have an 8 inch black one
> and a smaller white one.

<snip>

Something like this?

http://www.onedollarmall.net/info/Ju...ket_69219.html

Bob

Nancree

>Something like this?
>
>http://www.onedollarmall.net/info/Ju...ket_69219.html
>
>Bob

--------------------
Thank you, Bob, for your reply--the wire basket is close enough to what I
wanted, but apparently I'd have to order a case of 100. I have their phone
number, and will call them tomorrow. What a great site that is.
Nancree
-------------------

>Nancree wrote:
>
>> I have just spent over an hour searching the web for pretty wire-mesh
>> bowls that I bought several years ago at one of those extinct kitchen
>> supply stores.
>> These are attractive rigid bowls made entirely of mesh, except for a
>> thin rim at the top edge. The wire mesh is coated with some hard
>> substance that comes in different colors. I have an 8 inch black one
>> and a smaller white one.

><snip>
>
>Something like this?
>
>http://www.onedollarmall.net/info/Ju...ket_69219.html
>
>Bob

Nancree

--------------------
Thank you, Bob, for your reply--the wire basket is close enough to what I
wanted, but apparently I'd have to order a case of 100. I have their phone
number, and will call them tomorrow. What a great site that is.
Nancree
-------------------

>Nancree wrote:
>
>> I have just spent over an hour searching the web for pretty wire-mesh
>> bowls that I bought several years ago at one of those extinct kitchen
>> supply stores.
>> These are attractive rigid bowls made entirely of mesh, except for a
>> thin rim at the top edge. The wire mesh is coated with some hard
>> substance that comes in different colors. I have an 8 inch black one
>> and a smaller white one.

><snip>
>
>Something like this?
>
>http://www.onedollarmall.net/info/Ju...ket_69219.html
>
>Bob

Nancree

Thanks for your suggestion of "epoxy wire baskets". It brought up lots of
results, mostly large baskets--but I may find something yet.
Thanks for your response.
Nancree
------------------------------------
>Try searching epoxy mesh bowls or add kitchen ware to that search seems
>there's thousands of Asian companies...not sure which one you'd need.
>
>--
>Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
>and water.
>--------
>FIELDS, W. C.

ConnieG999

In article >,
onono (Nancree) writes:

> Any help most appreciated

Here's a batch of them:

http://www.google.com/search?as_q=&n...1&btnG=Google+
Search&as_epq=mesh+colander&as_oq=&as_eq=&lr=&as_f t=i&as_filetype=&as_qdr=
all&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&as_occt=any&as_dt=i&as_sitesea rch=&safe=images

or
http://tinyurl.com/5no39

Connie
My mind is like a steel...um, whatchamacallit.

ConnieG999

In article >,
onono (Nancree) writes:

> Any help most appreciated

Here's a batch of them:

http://www.google.com/search?as_q=&n...1&btnG=Google+
Search&as_epq=mesh+colander&as_oq=&as_eq=&lr=&as_f t=i&as_filetype=&as_qdr=
all&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&as_occt=any&as_dt=i&as_sitesea rch=&safe=images

or
http://tinyurl.com/5no39

Connie
My mind is like a steel...um, whatchamacallit.

ConnieG999

Donna Rose > writes:

>Tomatoes should never be stored in
>the refrigerator for that reason.

Tomatoes should be stored in the refrigerator only after they're cut.

Connie
My mind is like a steel...um, whatchamacallit.

BOB

ConnieG999 wrote:
> Donna Rose > writes:
>
>> Tomatoes should never be stored in
>> the refrigerator for that reason.

> Tomatoes should be stored in the refrigerator only after they're cut.

Heh! Not around here, once they are cut, they must be used in the dish they
were intended for, or eaten immediately. They never come close to making it to
the 'fridge.

BOB

BOB

ConnieG999 wrote:
> Donna Rose > writes:
>
>> Tomatoes should never be stored in
>> the refrigerator for that reason.

> Tomatoes should be stored in the refrigerator only after they're cut.

Heh! Not around here, once they are cut, they must be used in the dish they
were intended for, or eaten immediately. They never come close to making it to
the 'fridge.

BOB

Nancree

In theory, it's good to keep tomatoes at room temperature--as long as you go to
the supermarket at least every 3 days.
Nancree
>> Tomatoes should never be stored in
>> the refrigerator for that reason.

> Tomatoes should be stored in the refrigerator only after they're cut.

<Heh! Not around here, once they are cut, they must be used in the dish they
>were intended for, or eaten immediately. They never come close to making it

the 'fridge.
Bob

Wayne wrote:

> Right, I only move tomatoes from counter to fridge if I can't use them
> all before spoiling. Once refrigerated, I only use them for cooking.

I've been wondering: I know that there's an enzyme which gets destroyed when
you refrigerate tomatoes, which accounts for a difference in taste. But is
there a way to chill gazpacho WITHOUT refrigerating the tomatoes?

Bob

Wayne

"Bob" > wrote in
:

> Wayne wrote:
>
>> Right, I only move tomatoes from counter to fridge if I can't use
>> them all before spoiling. Once refrigerated, I only use them for
>> cooking.

> I've been wondering: I know that there's an enzyme which gets
> destroyed when you refrigerate tomatoes, which accounts for a
> difference in taste. But is there a way to chill gazpacho WITHOUT
> refrigerating the tomatoes?
>
> Bob

Seems unlikely, since tomatoes are the major component. Probably the
best you could do is prep and chill everything but the tomatoes and
combine just before serving. If you happen to use tomato or V-8 Juice as
part of your recipe, freeze it to a slush before combining.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.

Do you wash brushes, wire mesh, etc. in machine diswahsher? Manda Ruby General Cooking 11 11-12-2009 01:07 AM
Mesh Frying Pan Kswck General Cooking 25 06-06-2009 06:25 PM
Steel Mesh Baskets Stu General Cooking 9 05-06-2007 09:05 AM
Mesh Pans Stu Cooking Equipment 0 25-05-2007 09:50 AM
Stainless mesh basket infuser for large pot KeemunBLK Tea 3 16-07-2005 09:02 PM