Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Brushes for Cooking

On Apr 1, 10:39*pm, Blinky the Shark > wrote:
> I have a couple of paint-brush-style brushes I use for cooking. *I guess
> they're technically pastry brushes. *I don't do pastries. *But I paint my
> fish with OO when I grill them -- and so forth.
>
> Yes, I wash them very - very - thouroughly.
>
> Who uses these new silicon brushes with the matrix of skinny little legs,
> and who uses traditional bristle brushes?
>
> Other than cleanup, are there any advantages to the silicon brushes? *I
> mean, I've never melted a conventional brush; and it doesn't seeem like
> the wiggly-legged silicon brushes would hold your liquid as well as
> a conventional brush, between the container and the food.
>
> --
> Blinky
> Killing all posts from Google Groups
> The Usenet Improvement Project:http://improve-usenet.org
> Blinky:http://blinkynet.net

I use both. You are right that the silicone brushes dont hold liquid
as well but it beats picking out little hairs from a regular brush. I
also use a "rope" type brush for a lot of things and that works
nicely.

V.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Blinky the Shark" > wrote in message
news

> I have a couple of paint-brush-style brushes I use for cooking. I guess
> they're technically pastry brushes. I don't do pastries. But I paint my
> fish with OO when I grill them -- and so forth.
>
> Yes, I wash them very - very - thouroughly.
>
> Who uses these new silicon brushes with the matrix of skinny little legs,
> and who uses traditional bristle brushes?
>
> Other than cleanup, are there any advantages to the silicon brushes? I
> mean, I've never melted a conventional brush; and it doesn't seeem like
> the wiggly-legged silicon brushes would hold your liquid as well as
> a conventional brush, between the container and the food.

I have moved over from the conventional brushes to silicon. I like that they
are easier to clean and I hate that the little bristles come out of the
conventional ones. But that's just me. I have some larger "bristled"
silicone and some that are smaller and more tightly packed that I found at
Crate and Barrel last Christmas. They don't hold the liquid as well but they
do it good enough for me.

Cindi

> --
> Blinky
> Killing all posts from Google Groups
> The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org
> Blinky: http://blinkynet.net

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Valentine" > wrote in message
On Apr 1, 10:39 pm, Blinky the Shark > wrote:
> I have a couple of paint-brush-style brushes I use for cooking. I guess
> they're technically pastry brushes. I don't do pastries. But I paint my
> fish with OO when I grill them -- and so forth.
>
> Yes, I wash them very - very - thouroughly.
>
> Who uses these new silicon brushes with the matrix of skinny little
> legs,
> and who uses traditional bristle brushes?
>
> Other than cleanup, are there any advantages to the silicon brushes? I
> mean, I've never melted a conventional brush; and it doesn't seeem like
> the wiggly-legged silicon brushes would hold your liquid as well as
> a conventional brush, between the container and the food.
>
> --
> Blinky
> Killing all posts from Google Groups
> The Usenet Improvement Project:http://improve-usenet.org
> Blinky:http://blinkynet.net

I use both. You are right that the silicone brushes dont hold liquid
as well but it beats picking out little hairs from a regular brush. I
also use a "rope" type brush for a lot of things and that works
nicely.

V.

I use really cheap bristle brushes from the paint department at a local
store "Fleet Farm" or Menards...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .net>,
Blinky the Shark > wrote:

> I have a couple of paint-brush-style brushes I use for cooking. I guess
> they're technically pastry brushes. I don't do pastries. But I paint my
> fish with OO when I grill them -- and so forth.
>
> Yes, I wash them very - very - thouroughly.
>
> Who uses these new silicon brushes with the matrix of skinny little legs,
> and who uses traditional bristle brushes?

I've got a silicon brush, having just realised that my "paint brush"
pastry brush was rusty. Ew.

> Other than cleanup, are there any advantages to the silicon brushes? I
> mean, I've never melted a conventional brush; and it doesn't seeem like
> the wiggly-legged silicon brushes would hold your liquid as well as
> a conventional brush, between the container and the food.

It works well; better than I expected. And cleanup is the big
advantage, IMO.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 19:39:36 -0800, Blinky the Shark
> wrote:

>Who uses these new silicon brushes with the matrix of skinny little legs,
>and who uses traditional bristle brushes?

Bristle brushes are NOT kosher. Jewish kitchens would never use
bristle.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Blinky the Shark" > wrote in message
news

> I have a couple of paint-brush-style brushes I use for cooking. I guess
> they're technically pastry brushes. I don't do pastries. But I paint my
> fish with OO when I grill them -- and so forth.
>
> Yes, I wash them very - very - thouroughly.
>
> Who uses these new silicon brushes with the matrix of skinny little legs,
> and who uses traditional bristle brushes?
>
> Other than cleanup, are there any advantages to the silicon brushes? I
> mean, I've never melted a conventional brush; and it doesn't seeem like
> the wiggly-legged silicon brushes would hold your liquid as well as
> a conventional brush, between the container and the food.

Bristles for me, except feathers for pastry.

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Miche" > wrote

> Blinky the Shark > wrote:

>> Other than cleanup, are there any advantages to the silicon brushes? I
>> mean, I've never melted a conventional brush; and it doesn't seeem like
>> the wiggly-legged silicon brushes would hold your liquid as well as
>> a conventional brush, between the container and the food.

> It works well; better than I expected. And cleanup is the big
> advantage, IMO.

I bought one last fall thinking everyone here seems to like them.
I had the same thoughts Blinky did, does this really work? I'm
happy with it. Here's the thing, they are dirt cheap, so it's not the
end of the world if you hate it. I think I paid $4-5, and I think people
usually say they paid less.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 1, 10:39*pm, Blinky the Shark > wrote:
> I have a couple of paint-brush-style brushes I use for cooking. *I guess
> they're technically pastry brushes. *I don't do pastries. *But I paint my
> fish with OO when I grill them -- and so forth.
>
> Yes, I wash them very - very - thouroughly.
>
> Who uses these new silicon brushes with the matrix of skinny little legs,
> and who uses traditional bristle brushes?
>
> Other than cleanup, are there any advantages to the silicon brushes? *I
> mean, I've never melted a conventional brush; and it doesn't seeem like
> the wiggly-legged silicon brushes would hold your liquid as well as
> a conventional brush, between the container and the food.
>
> --
> Blinky
> Killing all posts from Google Groups
> The Usenet Improvement Project:http://improve-usenet.org
> Blinky:http://blinkynet.net

I use Martha Stewart food brushes with conventional-type bristles, and
also others (can't recall the name) I get at a kitchen shop. These
seldom drop bristles/hairs. I don't like to use paint brushes because
good ones are relatively very expensive, and I like to save them for
painting. ;-)

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 19:39:36 -0800, Blinky the Shark
> wrote:

>Who uses these new silicon brushes with the matrix of skinny little legs,
>and who uses traditional bristle brushes?

I just got a new silicone brush from Surly Table..and I love it!!!

>Other than cleanup, are there any advantages to the silicon brushes? I
>mean, I've never melted a conventional brush; and it doesn't seeem like
>the wiggly-legged silicon brushes would hold your liquid as well as
>a conventional brush, between the container and the food.

The one I got at Surly Table is designed so it will hold the liquid
better, so you can baste more effieciently.

Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mine are pastry brushes with plastic bristles. I put them in the
dishwasher and they come out clean. I bought a pair of these about 20
years ago.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 08:28:25 -0700, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 19:39:36 -0800, Blinky the Shark
> wrote:
>

>>Who uses these new silicon brushes with the matrix of skinny little legs,
>>and who uses traditional bristle brushes?
>>

>I just got a new silicone brush from Surly Table..and I love it!!!
>
>>Other than cleanup, are there any advantages to the silicon brushes? I
>>mean, I've never melted a conventional brush; and it doesn't seeem like
>>the wiggly-legged silicon brushes would hold your liquid as well as
>>a conventional brush, between the container and the food.

>The one I got at Surly Table is designed so it will hold the liquid
>better, so you can baste more effieciently.
>
>Christine

Howdy,

A while back, I needed to paint olive oil on a half dozen
very large leaf fougasses (French version of focaccia) and
as I used a small pastry brush it felt like I was painting a
room with a cotton swab.

I went to the hardware store, and bought a Purdy bristle
paint brush, and have used it as a large cooking brush ever
since.

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 2, 8:13*am, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> "Miche" > wrote
>
> > Blinky the Shark > wrote:
> >> Other than cleanup, are there any advantages to the silicon brushes? *I
> >> mean, I've never melted a conventional brush; and it doesn't seeem like
> >> the wiggly-legged silicon brushes would hold your liquid as well as
> >> a conventional brush, between the container and the food.

> > It works well; better than I expected. *And cleanup is the big
> > advantage, IMO.

> I bought one last fall thinking everyone here seems to like them.
> I had the same thoughts Blinky did, does this really work? *I'm
> happy with it. *Here's the thing, they are dirt cheap, so it's not the
> end of the world if you hate it. *I think I paid $4-5, and I think people
> usually say they paid less.
>
> nancy

I bought TWO silicone brushes at the dollar store for a buck. At that
price I don't care if they work. They're a gorgeous cobalt blue and
look great in my utensil pot!

Lynn in Fargo who loves bright colors
Lynn from Fargo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:

> Mine are pastry brushes with plastic bristles. I put them in the
> dishwasher and they come out clean. I bought a pair of these about 20
> years ago.

I dunno what these are, but I suspect they're some kind of natural bristle.

http://blinkynet.net/stuff/brushes.jpg

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Blinky: http://blinkynet.net

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> I have a couple of paint-brush-style brushes I use for cooking. I guess
> they're technically pastry brushes. I don't do pastries. But I paint my
> fish with OO when I grill them -- and so forth.
>
> Yes, I wash them very - very - thouroughly.
>
> Who uses these new silicon brushes with the matrix of skinny little legs,
> and who uses traditional bristle brushes?
>
> Other than cleanup, are there any advantages to the silicon brushes? I
> mean, I've never melted a conventional brush; and it doesn't seeem like
> the wiggly-legged silicon brushes would hold your liquid as well as
> a conventional brush, between the container and the food.

I got one (a silicone one, that is) when I worked at Ikea, and ended
up giving it away. I don't think it quite works the way I want a
pastry brush to work, so I went back to using the ones that are a
little more of a pain to clean.

Serene

For Sous Vide cooking: plastic pouch rolls tested for cooking, hitemp even John Kuthe[_3_] General Cooking 3 15-03-2016 05:33 AM
Do you wash brushes, wire mesh, etc. in machine diswahsher? Manda Ruby General Cooking 11 11-12-2009 01:07 AM
silicone brushes readandpostrosie General Cooking 15 17-04-2006 04:34 PM
pastry brushes SWK Baking 6 21-07-2004 03:42 PM
Basting brushes JaKe Barbecue 7 03-07-2004 04:53 PM