LM

Default Going to Toronto...

I'll be in Toronto, Canada in a couple weeks with some time on my hands.
What would people recommend doing/seeing/eating while there?
Can't be anything very expensive tho, we'll be on a budget.
We'll have a car, but would prefer to use public transport, and we'll be
staying in a hotel not too far from the Metro Toronto Convention Centre.

Thanks very much!

Lance

PENMART01

> LM monarch writes:
>
>I'll be in Toronto, Canada in a couple weeks with some time on my hands.
>What would people recommend doing/seeing/eating while there?
>Can't be anything very expensive tho, we'll be on a budget.
>We'll have a car, but would prefer to use public transport, and we'll be
>staying in a hotel not too far from the Metro Toronto Convention Centre.

Don't really need any steenkin' transport in Toronto other than good walkin'
shooz.

Begin he http://www.stlawrencemarket.com

The St. lawrence Market is a wonderful place to garner ones meals; a little of
this, a little of that, choices from the various stands.... eaten while
browsing, eaten in a town park, or brought back to your room in a brown paper
sack... spectacular sausages, cheeses, fruits, breads, wines... what more do
you need.

That said, Toronto's high-end ($$$) restaurants are pretty disappointing, stick
with the family-style (¢¢¢) joints.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Dave Smith

LM wrote:

> I'll be in Toronto, Canada in a couple weeks with some time on my hands.
> What would people recommend doing/seeing/eating while there?
> Can't be anything very expensive tho, we'll be on a budget.
> We'll have a car, but would prefer to use public transport, and we'll be
> staying in a hotel not too far from the Metro Toronto Convention Centre.

You will certainly have lots of options. Toronto is a very ethnically
diverse city. You budget will probably preclude your eating at or near the
convention centre. If you like Chinese food, one of Toronto's several
Chinatowns is just a few blocks north of the Convention Centre. Between the
CC and that Chinatown you will find Queen St. West, which has a nice variety
of restaurants, and most are quite reasonable. If you like Greek food there
is a "Greek Village" on Danforth. Hope on the subway and take the
Bloor-Danforth line east and get out at the Broadview stop or the next one.
There are several reasonably priced restaurants in the area of the St.
Lawrence Market. Papillon servers French and French Canadian dishes and is
not at all expensive.

Shirley Hicks

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 08:29:29 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>LM wrote:
>
>> I'll be in Toronto, Canada in a couple weeks with some time on my hands.
>> What would people recommend doing/seeing/eating while there?

What sorts of things are you interested in? Would help to know that.

>> Can't be anything very expensive tho, we'll be on a budget.
>> We'll have a car, but would prefer to use public transport, and we'll be
>> staying in a hotel not too far from the Metro Toronto Convention Centre.

Um, if you are used to or are willing to get used to riding in urban
traffic, bring your bicyles. (this is really worthwhile if you are
here longer than one weekend) The downtown has many bicycle lanes, and
it's a very quick and easy (and much less expensive!) way to get
around downtown. During the day,you move at car traffic speed or
faster. I'm a west end innerr suburbanite, just over the Humber River,
and I frequently ride into the corewhen going out to do fun informal
stuff. http://www.toronto.ca/parks/maps.htm

There are a lot of off road cycling paths through the city, up both
river valleys, most of the creeks, and along the waterfront. You can
also take your bicycles out to the Toronto Islands ($5.00 Cdn, fare
covers both directions) and stop and have lunch or dinner at the
Rectory Cafe, _or_ pick up a boxed lunch at the Queens Quay Loblaws
and have a picnic out there. Ward's Island and Algonquin Island have
year round residents, and if you dance, therre are generally dances
out at the community halls most Saturday nights, being organized by
one or another of the city dance groups.

>You will certainly have lots of options. Toronto is a very ethnically
>diverse city. You budget will probably preclude your eating at or near the
>convention centre. If you like Chinese food, one of Toronto's several
>Chinatowns is just a few blocks north of the Convention Centre. Between the
>CC and that Chinatown you will find Queen St. West, which has a nice variety
>of restaurants,

Oh yeah. And art galleries, and clothing designers, and oh my! It's
just a little piece of urban shopping paradise. Fabric shopping isn't
what it used to be, but if you're into that, the more design oriented
shops are still doing a good business, and you can find some gorgeous
stuff there. Oh, right, budget.

There is a Mondriani exhibit opening at the Art Gallery of Ontario
this week http://www.ago.net/navigation/flash/index.cfm on Dundas, two
blocks west of University, (and while there, peak down McCaul St at
the new matchbox in the sky addition to the Ontario College of Art &
Design, http://www.galinsky.com/buildings/sharpcentre/), there is a
exhibit on pearls at the ROM http://www.rom.on.ca/ at University &
Bloor, couple of small museums the Bata Shoe Museum
http://www.batashoemuseum.ca/ at St. George & Bloor.

Depending on when you are here, Heritage Toronto runs historical
walking tours up until October 16th. They are informative and fun.
(I do a few every year)
http://www.torontolife.com/cityguide...isting_id=7664.

Theatre ticket prices (the smaller productions) are quite affordable.
See http://www.canstage.com/2004-2005/index.asp &
http://www.passemuraille.on.ca/ for starters.

There are a series of used booksales at the University Colleges
throughout October: http://www.booksalefinder.com/utvictoria.html
Serious chance to pick up cheap Canadiana. The lineup are a great
place to talk books.

>and most are quite reasonable. If you like Greek food there
>is a "Greek Village" on Danforth.

Go to Avi, (sorry, no address, was there after contra dancing on
Saturday night.) Entrees in the $13 - 20 dollar Cdn range, appetizers
$7,00 Cdn and up, and pretty darn good. I didn't try their wine list.
Go to Pape Station on the Bloor Danforth line, exit, walk down to
Danforth Ave., and walk east along the south side. You should see it
within a block, IIRC (I was coming at it from the other way) Myth
(Myst?, also on the south side is a little pricier, and is kind of
nouvelle Greek

The city is lousy with coffee shops.

The By-the-Way-Cafe, on the north side of Bloor, is in the Annex area.
Pretty decent food, and good people watching. Is open for brunch from
about 10 am on. Is on the edge of the Annex neighbourhood, and you
never know which important Canadian figure you'll be eating next to.
(Last time I was there, it was an important jurist - my companion, who
lives in the neighbourhood , knew, I didn't!)

I'd also recommend Easy, on the south side of Queen, just east of
Roncesvalles, in the second hand furniture/antiquey area, and if they
are full (they do good brunch) go to Luna-by-the-Lake, which is around
the corner and up Roncesvalles on the east side.

>Hope on the subway and take the
>Bloor-Danforth line east and get out at the Broadview stop or the next one.

That would be Pape.

>There are several reasonably priced restaurants in the area of the St.
>Lawrence Market. Papillon servers French and French Canadian dishes and is
>not at all expensive.

Hugh's Room on Dundas St just South of Bloor (Dundas West Station on
the Bloor Danforth Line, and don't ask, Dundas St. started off as a
cowpath and wanders quite a bit on it's way west) is the city's
biggest non-concert folk music forum. http://www.hughsroom.com/

Baldwin St, from Yonge Street, to where it runs out, some where around
Spadina, is full of good cheap eats. I especially like the section
from University west. Also used CD and record stores, bits of this,
bits of that. It's nicely crumbly around the edges.

Toronto's strength is it's neighbourhoods off the main drags. (some of
the main drags can be butt ugly) Take the Queen 501 streetcar out to
the Beaches, and wander around the board walk. Finish up with a
mochachino in Queen St. East, and window shop until you drop.

Wander through the Annex. Oh and ah at the brick Edwardian Romanesque
and Queen Anne architecture. Wander down along Harbord St. west from
St. George. Ooh and ah at the rare book dealers and second-hand
bookshops. Try not to get sucked into Ms. Emma's Designs. Wander into
the neighbourhoods,and walk south to Queen St. W.

Gerrard St East, between Jones and Woodbine, is Little India East. Try
some spiced and limed roast corn from one of the street vendors, or
try one of the many restaurants. I especially like Upadi Palace. It's
kind of cafeteria looking in a well scrubbed tiled sort of way, but it
has piping hot vegetarian meals that will fill you up and then some.
It's a great place to wind up a long bike ride. And I've never met a
lassi I didn't like there.

If you feel like serious wealth envy, take the subway north on the
Yong Line, get out at Rosedale Station, and take a walk through
Rosedale. Turn of the century mock tudor and georgian never looked so
good. (it's pretty nice, twisty streets, human scale, and as I found
out during last year's garden tour, the best kept secret is the
ravines tucked behind many properties)

There is also film... TIFF is over but many of the larger pictures are
still running, and there is a topic specific film festival running
pretty well every weekend from March to November.

There is so much more.... hope all that helps.

Shirley Hicks
Toronto, Ontario

"A liberal is a conservative who's been through treatment."
- Garrison Keillor
Noino

If you have one $$$ meal have it at Bistro 990 at 990 Bay Street, a couple
of blocks south of Bloor. French cuisine, wonderful presentation, excellent
food!

"PENMART01" > wrote in message
> > LM monarch writes:
> >
> >I'll be in Toronto, Canada in a couple weeks with some time on my hands.
> >What would people recommend doing/seeing/eating while there?
> >Can't be anything very expensive tho, we'll be on a budget.
> >We'll have a car, but would prefer to use public transport, and we'll be
> >staying in a hotel not too far from the Metro Toronto Convention Centre.

> Don't really need any steenkin' transport in Toronto other than good

walkin'
> shooz.
>
> Begin he http://www.stlawrencemarket.com
>
> The St. lawrence Market is a wonderful place to garner ones meals; a

little of
> this, a little of that, choices from the various stands.... eaten while
> browsing, eaten in a town park, or brought back to your room in a brown

paper
> sack... spectacular sausages, cheeses, fruits, breads, wines... what more

do
> you need.
>
> That said, Toronto's high-end ($$$) restaurants are pretty disappointing,

stick
> with the family-style (¢¢¢) joints.
>
> ---= BOYCOTT FRANCE (belgium) GERMANY--SPAIN =---
> ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
> *********
> "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."
> Sheldon
> ````````````

Mel Matsuoka

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 23:42:14 -0500, LM > wrote:

>I'll be in Toronto, Canada in a couple weeks with some time on my hands.
>What would people recommend doing/seeing/eating while there?

I have it on good authority that Ali's Roti Shop on Queen Street West is the
culinary equivalent of a crack-house. They make Trinidadian "Doubles" which are
to die for.

Aloha,
mel
Shirley Hicks

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 01:40:11 GMT, Mel Matsuoka >
wrote:

>On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 23:42:14 -0500, LM > wrote:
>
>>I'll be in Toronto, Canada in a couple weeks with some time on my hands.
>>What would people recommend doing/seeing/eating while there?

>I have it on good authority that Ali's Roti Shop on Queen Street West is the
>culinary equivalent of a crack-house. They make Trinidadian "Doubles" which are
>to die for.

Yesss!!!!!! IIRC, it's on the north side, just east of Bathurst.

Shirley Hicks
Toronto, Ontario
TB

"A liberal is a conservative who's been through treatment."
- Garrison Keillor
Kajikit

Dave Smith had something important to tell us on Tue, 28 Sep 2004
08:29:29 -0400:

>LM wrote:
>
>> I'll be in Toronto, Canada in a couple weeks with some time on my hands.
>> What would people recommend doing/seeing/eating while there?
>> Can't be anything very expensive tho, we'll be on a budget.
>> We'll have a car, but would prefer to use public transport, and we'll be
>> staying in a hotel not too far from the Metro Toronto Convention Centre.

Go to Les Marche (sp?) It's a french market-style restaurant and you
walk around the food stations and choose what you want to eat and they
prepare it for you on the spot and stamp your card so the cashier
knows what you need to pay for. It's not exactly cheap but you can
spend hours there nibbling away at the stuff. MMMMM!!!!!!!!!! You can
also get their goodies to take away. We were very impressed
--
~Karen AKA Kajikit
Lover of shiny things...

Made as of 26th Sept 2004 - 115 cards, 66 SB pages, 14 digital SB pages, 72 decos

Visit my webpage: http://www.kajikitscorner.com
Kajikit

Dave Smith had something important to tell us on Tue, 28 Sep 2004
08:29:29 -0400:

>LM wrote:
>
>> I'll be in Toronto, Canada in a couple weeks with some time on my hands.
>> What would people recommend doing/seeing/eating while there?
>> Can't be anything very expensive tho, we'll be on a budget.
>> We'll have a car, but would prefer to use public transport, and we'll be
>> staying in a hotel not too far from the Metro Toronto Convention Centre.

Go to Les Marche (sp?) It's a french market-style restaurant and you
walk around the food stations and choose what you want to eat and they
prepare it for you on the spot and stamp your card so the cashier
knows what you need to pay for. It's not exactly cheap but you can
spend hours there nibbling away at the stuff. MMMMM!!!!!!!!!! You can
also get their goodies to take away. We were very impressed
--
~Karen AKA Kajikit
Lover of shiny things...

Made as of 26th Sept 2004 - 115 cards, 66 SB pages, 14 digital SB pages, 72 decos

Visit my webpage: http://www.kajikitscorner.com
Shirley Hicks

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 12:39:07 +1000, Kajikit >
wrote:

>Dave Smith had something important to tell us on Tue, 28 Sep 2004
>08:29:29 -0400:
>
>>LM wrote:
>>
>>> I'll be in Toronto, Canada in a couple weeks with some time on my hands.
>>> What would people recommend doing/seeing/eating while there?
>>> Can't be anything very expensive tho, we'll be on a budget.
>>> We'll have a car, but would prefer to use public transport, and we'll be
>>> staying in a hotel not too far from the Metro Toronto Convention Centre.

>Go to Les Marche (sp?)

Movenpick's Le Marche (accent over e) See some reviews at:
http://www.virtualtourist.com/vt/dc8fa/2/5ed/
It's quite popular and the line up can get long at brunch on weekends,
during the week at lunch and dinner....

<description snipped>

Shirley Hicks
TB

"A liberal is a conservative who's been through treatment."
- Garrison Keillor

Shirley Hicks

wrote:

>Dave Smith had something important to tell us on Tue, 28 Sep 2004
>08:29:29 -0400:
>
>>LM wrote:
>>
>>> I'll be in Toronto, Canada in a couple weeks with some time on my hands.
>>> What would people recommend doing/seeing/eating while there?
>>> Can't be anything very expensive tho, we'll be on a budget.
>>> We'll have a car, but would prefer to use public transport, and we'll be
>>> staying in a hotel not too far from the Metro Toronto Convention Centre.

>Go to Les Marche (sp?)

Movenpick's Le Marche (accent over e) See some reviews at:
http://www.virtualtourist.com/vt/dc8fa/2/5ed/
It's quite popular and the line up can get long at brunch on weekends,
during the week at lunch and dinner....

<description snipped>

Shirley Hicks
TB

"A liberal is a conservative who's been through treatment."
- Garrison Keillor
Christine

"Shirley Hicks" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 12:39:07 +1000, Kajikit >
> wrote:
>
>>Dave Smith had something important to tell us on Tue, 28 Sep 2004
>>08:29:29 -0400:

>>Go to Les Marche (sp?)

> Movenpick's Le Marche (accent over e) See some reviews at:
> http://www.virtualtourist.com/vt/dc8fa/2/5ed/
> It's quite popular and the line up can get long at brunch on weekends,
> during the week at lunch and dinner....
>
> <description snipped>
>
> Shirley Hicks

We really enjoyed Movenpick's Le Marche when we were in Toronto. I seem to
recall that they are a Swiss-owned chain. In Switzerland I understand the
food is not too good, but very enjoyable in Toronto. Believe I also heard
they were expanding into upper New York State. Don't know if that ever
happened.

IIRC you do kind of have to fight for your food <g>

Chris in Pearland, TX

Zywicki

Wow, you might as well ask where to eat in New York. There are so many
places. Especially expensive places.

We had a nice dinner at LaLot, which is new and doesn't make the lists.
But not inexpensive
Also a fun place was "five doors north" on Spadina (say Spa-dy-na, not
spa-dee-na.
You say Spadeena, I say Spadyna. You say Rageena, I say Ragyna, let's
call the whole thing off, eh?) Not too pricey.

Oooh, and I have to mention the amazing breakfast I had at a place
called, "Insomnia." Bloor and Bathurst. Not cheap, but wonderful.

Head East on Bloor to the Korean enclave and get some Walnut Cakes.
These are little walnut shaped (I mean, 3D, batter based walnut
simulacrums) filled delights that, as far as I know, are unique to
Toronto.

The Kensington Market area is fun for the food inclined.

And if you haven't tried bubble tea, try some.

Forget dining around St Lawrence Market for lunch - dine IN st.
lawrence market for lunch.

Definitely buy a transit pass. You can ride the train, the buss, and
the cablecar and get anywhere you want to go.

Also have some of my ice cream - Greg's Ice Cream. Ok, it's not really
_mine_, which probably explains why I couldn't talk them into a
freebie. I should look in to truth in advertising laws in Ontario.

Zagats has a Toronto restaurant guide (and they have a free
downloadable PDA version) that is usefull. We also liked the Frommers
guide. Guidebooks are great resources. Chowhound.com also has Toronto
info. There's so much info availlable, your head could explode.

KAR

I go to Toronto every couple of years for months at a time.

I had the most wonderful meal at a restaurant called "Chiado" which is
Portuguese. It's on University and really is one of the really fine meals
I've had.

Bistro 99, near the hotel I usually stay at is very nice and convenient.

I love a little restaurant on Church Street (near Wellesley) called
Byzantium

There's a very happening Greek restaurant called Lola's or Lolita's (I
forget) which is very nice (but very noisy).

"Zywicki" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Wow, you might as well ask where to eat in New York. There are so many
> places. Especially expensive places.
>
> We had a nice dinner at LaLot, which is new and doesn't make the lists.
> But not inexpensive
> Also a fun place was "five doors north" on Spadina (say Spa-dy-na, not
> spa-dee-na.
> You say Spadeena, I say Spadyna. You say Rageena, I say Ragyna, let's
> call the whole thing off, eh?) Not too pricey.
>
> Oooh, and I have to mention the amazing breakfast I had at a place
> called, "Insomnia." Bloor and Bathurst. Not cheap, but wonderful.
>
> Head East on Bloor to the Korean enclave and get some Walnut Cakes.
> These are little walnut shaped (I mean, 3D, batter based walnut
> simulacrums) filled delights that, as far as I know, are unique to
> Toronto.
>
> The Kensington Market area is fun for the food inclined.
>
> And if you haven't tried bubble tea, try some.
>
> Forget dining around St Lawrence Market for lunch - dine IN st.
> lawrence market for lunch.
>
> Definitely buy a transit pass. You can ride the train, the buss, and
> the cablecar and get anywhere you want to go.
>
> Also have some of my ice cream - Greg's Ice Cream. Ok, it's not really
> _mine_, which probably explains why I couldn't talk them into a
> freebie. I should look in to truth in advertising laws in Ontario.
>
> Zagats has a Toronto restaurant guide (and they have a free
> downloadable PDA version) that is usefull. We also liked the Frommers
> guide. Guidebooks are great resources. Chowhound.com also has Toronto
> info. There's so much info availlable, your head could explode.

KAR

I go to Toronto every couple of years for months at a time.

I had the most wonderful meal at a restaurant called "Chiado" which is
Portuguese. It's on University and really is one of the really fine meals
I've had.

Bistro 99, near the hotel I usually stay at is very nice and convenient.

I love a little restaurant on Church Street (near Wellesley) called
Byzantium

There's a very happening Greek restaurant called Lola's or Lolita's (I
forget) which is very nice (but very noisy).

"Zywicki" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Wow, you might as well ask where to eat in New York. There are so many
> places. Especially expensive places.
>
> We had a nice dinner at LaLot, which is new and doesn't make the lists.
> But not inexpensive
> Also a fun place was "five doors north" on Spadina (say Spa-dy-na, not
> spa-dee-na.
> You say Spadeena, I say Spadyna. You say Rageena, I say Ragyna, let's
> call the whole thing off, eh?) Not too pricey.
>
> Oooh, and I have to mention the amazing breakfast I had at a place
> called, "Insomnia." Bloor and Bathurst. Not cheap, but wonderful.
>
> Head East on Bloor to the Korean enclave and get some Walnut Cakes.
> These are little walnut shaped (I mean, 3D, batter based walnut
> simulacrums) filled delights that, as far as I know, are unique to
> Toronto.
>
> The Kensington Market area is fun for the food inclined.
>
> And if you haven't tried bubble tea, try some.
>
> Forget dining around St Lawrence Market for lunch - dine IN st.
> lawrence market for lunch.
>
> Definitely buy a transit pass. You can ride the train, the buss, and
> the cablecar and get anywhere you want to go.
>
> Also have some of my ice cream - Greg's Ice Cream. Ok, it's not really
> _mine_, which probably explains why I couldn't talk them into a
> freebie. I should look in to truth in advertising laws in Ontario.
>
> Zagats has a Toronto restaurant guide (and they have a free
> downloadable PDA version) that is usefull. We also liked the Frommers
> guide. Guidebooks are great resources. Chowhound.com also has Toronto
> info. There's so much info availlable, your head could explode.

Dan W

In article >, "Christine" > wrote:

>"Shirley Hicks" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 12:39:07 +1000, Kajikit >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Dave Smith had something important to tell us on Tue, 28 Sep 2004
>>>08:29:29 -0400:

Take a look at this message board. It's all about Toronto eats.
http://www.chowhound.com/canada/boar...o/toronto.html

_
(_) Daniel Warren, RPh
_______// Marion NY
(________) Clinical Pharmacist
\ /
| Rx |
/______\
(________)

Shirley Hicks

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 19:09:20 -0400,
wrote:
>On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 23:42:14 -0500, LM > wrote:
>
>>I'll be in Toronto, Canada in a couple weeks with some time on my hands.
>>What would people recommend doing/seeing/eating while there?
>>Can't be anything very expensive tho, we'll be on a budget.

>Food Wise:
>
>If you want burgers - report directly to the nearest Harveys, charcoal grilled
>burgers made to order, and made FRESH AT ORDER!
>
>If you want breakfast - report to the nearest Tim Hortons, and get a box of
>TimBits. They come in as many flavors as Tims has donuts.

I have sad news. Tim Hortons has gone large corporate, and the donuts
(and Tim Bits) are Just Not The Same(TM). Up until a year ago, they
were made fresh on the premises. But now, tsk, tsk, they are made and
cooked halfway, at large central bakeries, and are now only finished
in the stores. I and many other Tim Horton donut afficiandos, have
decided that they are not worth the cholesterol hit, and are now
avoiding them like the plague.

Their bagels and muffins, however, are a pretty decent breakfast
treat. Coffee is still up to par. And their sandwich and soup lunch
deals are pretty decent too.

>If you want seafood, and lobster especially:
>The Lobster Trap Restaurant
>1962 Avenue Road, Toronto Canada
>(5 Blocks south of 401)
>416 787 3211
>Lunch, Monday to Friday 12:00 noon to 2:00 PM
> Dinner, 7 days 5:00 to 10:00 PM

Ooh. We're talking northern inner suburbia here.
Don't know if I can handle the thought.

>This was the place to go when I lived there, but thats been a while.
>
>Saddly the great Organ Grinder Pizza palace is no more, and the orgran was last
>I heard sold as parts.

You're dating yourself......

http://coffeecrisp.org/
>, http://www.nestle.ca/en/Products/Bro...ffee_Crisp.htm )

I didn't realize that these were a uniquely Canadian product. Must
remember to take some to the American pals.

Ontario Science Centre http://www.ontariosciencecentre.ca/

>Casa Loma http://www.casaloma.org/

I'm luke-warm on that. Sir Henry Pallet's pile is.... well.... I live
here and I see it every time a friend visits. I'm jaded.

Check out Spadina House (this time, it's pronounced Spa-dee-na) next
door. This site is fun for architecture buffs:
http://www.historyoftoronto.ca/history/buildings4.html

>If you use the subway alot, be sure to check the "Toronto Underground" shops and
>restaraunts. http://www.virtualtourist.com/vt/dc8fa/6/12eb/
>
>Check out Yonge St in downtown. All sorts of places along this road.
>
>The Mississauga Mall (subway reachable) and Eaton Centre are good "roams."

Missisauga Mall? <grin> I'll have to let the PU's out in the suburbs
know that they've got another one. Would that be the Yorkdale Mall
that you are thinking of? It's the northern inner suburb destination
mall, along with the Scarborough Town Centre in the east end, and
Sherway Gardens in the West end. Mississauga has Square One, but it's
about twenty-three miles (thirty plus kilometers) out from downtown.
For malls as tourist attractions, I'd skip those and head to the
Pacific Mall in Markham. http://www.pacificmalltoronto.com/en/ You'll
be lucky if you see any english signs.

If you are on limited budget, I'd skip the malls and hend for
Kensington, Queen St., either east or west, Little India, the downtown
Chinatown on Spadina, or Greektown on the Danforth (now rapidly
becoming a centre of middle eastern culture on the east side of the
city)

Shirley HIcks
Toronto, Ontario

TB

"A liberal is a conservative who's been through treatment."
- Garrison Keillor
Gabby

> wrote in message
> Saddly the great Organ Grinder Pizza palace is no more, and the orgran was

last
> I heard sold as parts.

Is 'The Old Spaghetti Factory' still in operation? It's been 16 years since
I've been there.

Gabby

Dave Smith

> >One on the other things that has happened to Tim Hortons is drastic reduction in the

> This expansion of the menu started before Wendys bought them, and the expansion
> to muffins & bagels was probably driven by the "health food zealots."* I've
> heard the sandwiches & soup & chili is pretty good, but I doubt I would go to
> Tim's for that kind of food any way, if it was all that was available OK, but as
> a destination, I want TimBits.

You are correct about the bagels and muffins there before the Wendys deal. They recently
dropped their cakes, which is a pity because they were pretty good.

> I like muffins and bagels too, but I don't eat food because its low any thing,
> good for me, or any of that other nonsense. I eat it because I like it. My bagel
> will be smothered, and I mean smothered in cream cheese, no low fat, no flavor
> nonsense, real cream cheese.

I am not too enthused about their muffins or their bagels. Maybe I have been spoiled with
real bagels, and I look forward to my son bringing bagels when he visits from Montreal.
There isn't much of a comparison.

> If I can get it I'll add lox to it as well. Same
> with muffins, if I am in the mood for a muffin, exclusive of anything bran, then
> I get a muffin, and will put cream cheese or BUTTER (NO!!! margarine or butter
> wannabee's allowed) or what have you on it. These same zealots are effecting
> Krispy Kreeme in the US as well. All the diet guru peddlers should be rounded up
> and have an arranged "fall" like that other diet dr. had. If I fall over and die
> from what ever, I will die happy. I eat, drink and be merry daily.

My father in law ate a lot of red meats, high fat food, salt and all those other things
that are not supposed to be good for you. His moderation was "Everything in moderation,
including moderation."

> I prefer TimBits over donuts, simply as they are bite sized and easy quick food.
> The variety of the TimBits allows me to have, well, a variety of flavors, versus
> say just one or two in a donut.

Then you will be happy to hear that TimBits are one thing whose taste and texture were
not terribly impacted by the new par baked system. Of course, the problem with those
bite sized little morsels is that you lose track of them and before you know it you have
eaten several donuts worth of bits.

Dave Smith

> >One on the other things that has happened to Tim Hortons is drastic reduction in the

> This expansion of the menu started before Wendys bought them, and the expansion
> to muffins & bagels was probably driven by the "health food zealots."* I've
> heard the sandwiches & soup & chili is pretty good, but I doubt I would go to
> Tim's for that kind of food any way, if it was all that was available OK, but as
> a destination, I want TimBits.

You are correct about the bagels and muffins there before the Wendys deal. They recently
dropped their cakes, which is a pity because they were pretty good.

> I like muffins and bagels too, but I don't eat food because its low any thing,
> good for me, or any of that other nonsense. I eat it because I like it. My bagel
> will be smothered, and I mean smothered in cream cheese, no low fat, no flavor
> nonsense, real cream cheese.

I am not too enthused about their muffins or their bagels. Maybe I have been spoiled with
real bagels, and I look forward to my son bringing bagels when he visits from Montreal.
There isn't much of a comparison.

> If I can get it I'll add lox to it as well. Same
> with muffins, if I am in the mood for a muffin, exclusive of anything bran, then
> I get a muffin, and will put cream cheese or BUTTER (NO!!! margarine or butter
> wannabee's allowed) or what have you on it. These same zealots are effecting
> Krispy Kreeme in the US as well. All the diet guru peddlers should be rounded up
> and have an arranged "fall" like that other diet dr. had. If I fall over and die
> from what ever, I will die happy. I eat, drink and be merry daily.

My father in law ate a lot of red meats, high fat food, salt and all those other things
that are not supposed to be good for you. His moderation was "Everything in moderation,
including moderation."

> I prefer TimBits over donuts, simply as they are bite sized and easy quick food.
> The variety of the TimBits allows me to have, well, a variety of flavors, versus
> say just one or two in a donut.

Then you will be happy to hear that TimBits are one thing whose taste and texture were
not terribly impacted by the new par baked system. Of course, the problem with those
bite sized little morsels is that you lose track of them and before you know it you have
eaten several donuts worth of bits.

Gabby

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message

> > >One on the other things that has happened to Tim Hortons is drastic

reduction in the

> > This expansion of the menu started before Wendys bought them, and the

expansion
> > to muffins & bagels was probably driven by the "health food zealots."*

I've
> > heard the sandwiches & soup & chili is pretty good, but I doubt I would

go to
> > Tim's for that kind of food any way, if it was all that was available

OK, but as
> > a destination, I want TimBits.

> You are correct about the bagels and muffins there before the Wendys deal.

They recently
> dropped their cakes, which is a pity because they were pretty good.

Here we can order the cakes 48 hours in advance and they will bake them, so
it's possible to have a 'Shadow Cake' for your birthday.

> I am not too enthused about their muffins or their bagels.

They keep developping new muffins and they keep dropping the old standards.
I've never seen a date & nut bran muffin at our local Tim's and they
recently dropped the raisin bran ones. I don't like really sweet cakey
muffins so I miss those two.

> Maybe I have been spoiled with
> real bagels, and I look forward to my son bringing bagels when he visits

from Montreal.
> There isn't much of a comparison.

True enough. I used to pop in to a little Jewish bakery in Toronto for my
bagel fix. When I left Toronto I spent years in places where they'd never
heard of a bagel, let alone boiled/baked some.

Gabby

Tea in Toronto biovirus Tea 4 24-03-2011 06:23 AM
RP in Toronto graham[_1_] Wine 0 08-11-2007 08:32 PM
Toronto BBQ Cam Barbecue 3 03-08-2005 02:00 PM
Toronto Pie Recipes (moderated) 0 18-04-2005 05:18 AM
Restaurants in Toronto chrismarkcanada Restaurants 2 01-04-2005 03:14 AM