Shirley Hicks

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 19:09:20 -0400,
wrote:
>On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 23:42:14 -0500, LM > wrote:
>
>>I'll be in Toronto, Canada in a couple weeks with some time on my hands.
>>What would people recommend doing/seeing/eating while there?
>>Can't be anything very expensive tho, we'll be on a budget.

>Food Wise:
>
>If you want burgers - report directly to the nearest Harveys, charcoal grilled
>burgers made to order, and made FRESH AT ORDER!
>
>If you want breakfast - report to the nearest Tim Hortons, and get a box of
>TimBits. They come in as many flavors as Tims has donuts.

I have sad news. Tim Hortons has gone large corporate, and the donuts
(and Tim Bits) are Just Not The Same(TM). Up until a year ago, they
were made fresh on the premises. But now, tsk, tsk, they are made and
cooked halfway, at large central bakeries, and are now only finished
in the stores. I and many other Tim Horton donut afficiandos, have
decided that they are not worth the cholesterol hit, and are now
avoiding them like the plague.

Their bagels and muffins, however, are a pretty decent breakfast
treat. Coffee is still up to par. And their sandwich and soup lunch
deals are pretty decent too.

>If you want seafood, and lobster especially:
>The Lobster Trap Restaurant
>1962 Avenue Road, Toronto Canada
>(5 Blocks south of 401)
>416 787 3211
>Lunch, Monday to Friday 12:00 noon to 2:00 PM
> Dinner, 7 days 5:00 to 10:00 PM

Ooh. We're talking northern inner suburbia here.
Don't know if I can handle the thought.

>This was the place to go when I lived there, but thats been a while.
>
>Saddly the great Organ Grinder Pizza palace is no more, and the orgran was last
>I heard sold as parts.

You're dating yourself......

http://coffeecrisp.org/
>, http://www.nestle.ca/en/Products/Bro...ffee_Crisp.htm )

I didn't realize that these were a uniquely Canadian product. Must
remember to take some to the American pals.

Ontario Science Centre http://www.ontariosciencecentre.ca/

>Casa Loma http://www.casaloma.org/

I'm luke-warm on that. Sir Henry Pallet's pile is.... well.... I live
here and I see it every time a friend visits. I'm jaded.

Check out Spadina House (this time, it's pronounced Spa-dee-na) next
door. This site is fun for architecture buffs:
http://www.historyoftoronto.ca/history/buildings4.html

>If you use the subway alot, be sure to check the "Toronto Underground" shops and
>restaraunts. http://www.virtualtourist.com/vt/dc8fa/6/12eb/
>
>Check out Yonge St in downtown. All sorts of places along this road.
>
>The Mississauga Mall (subway reachable) and Eaton Centre are good "roams."

Missisauga Mall? <grin> I'll have to let the PU's out in the suburbs
know that they've got another one. Would that be the Yorkdale Mall
that you are thinking of? It's the northern inner suburb destination
mall, along with the Scarborough Town Centre in the east end, and
Sherway Gardens in the West end. Mississauga has Square One, but it's
about twenty-three miles (thirty plus kilometers) out from downtown.
For malls as tourist attractions, I'd skip those and head to the
Pacific Mall in Markham. http://www.pacificmalltoronto.com/en/ You'll
be lucky if you see any english signs.

If you are on limited budget, I'd skip the malls and hend for
Kensington, Queen St., either east or west, Little India, the downtown
Chinatown on Spadina, or Greektown on the Danforth (now rapidly
becoming a centre of middle eastern culture on the east side of the
city)

Shirley HIcks
Toronto, Ontario

TB

"A liberal is a conservative who's been through treatment."
- Garrison Keillor