Old 25-09-2004, 04:01 AM
Kompu Kid

Default Cooking pasta without draining the water

Hello All:

I looked in the archives of this newsgroup but could not find any
discussions on this.

A friend of mine says that there is an alternate way of cooking pasta:

- Put enough water in a pot. Add pasta and salt.
- Bring the mix to a boil.
- Then simmer until water is gone.

The process is much like cooking rice.

He could not give me the amount of water needed off hand, but
suggested that I start with a 1 to 1 ratio.

He operates an Italian restaurant so I assume he knows what he is
saying.

Has anybody else run into cooking pasta this way?

Deguza

Old 25-09-2004, 05:11 AM
zxcvbob

Kompu Kid wrote:

Hello All:

I looked in the archives of this newsgroup but could not find any
discussions on this.

A friend of mine says that there is an alternate way of cooking pasta:

- Put enough water in a pot. Add pasta and salt.
- Bring the mix to a boil.
- Then simmer until water is gone.

The process is much like cooking rice.

He could not give me the amount of water needed off hand, but
suggested that I start with a 1 to 1 ratio.

He operates an Italian restaurant so I assume he knows what he is
saying.

Has anybody else run into cooking pasta this way?

Deguza

It will be sticky if you do that because starch will dissolve in the
water and then thicken up as you boil the water away. But it will be OK
if you're gonna use a starchy or cheese-based sauce where the extra
starch will just mix into the sauce. Don't try to boil away all the
water; cook until the pasta is done and the water is almost gone, then
add the overly-thick sauce and let the cooking water thin it out.

It's not a very good method, but it works for making skillet casseroles.

Bob
Old 25-09-2004, 07:30 AM
notbob

On 2004-09-25, Kompu Kid wrote:

He could not give me the amount of water needed off hand, but
suggested that I start with a 1 to 1 ratio.

Either he's lying to you or you're lying to us. It's all bullshit!

nb ...nobull
Old 25-09-2004, 07:41 AM
Luca Pinotti

"Michael Odom" wrote in message
On 24 Sep 2004 20:01:29 -0700, (Kompu Kid) wrote:

Hello All:

I looked in the archives of this newsgroup but could not find any
discussions on this.

A friend of mine says that there is an alternate way of cooking pasta:

NO! Don't do that.
Please...

Luca

Old 25-09-2004, 10:48 AM
Bob (this one)

Kompu Kid wrote:

Hello All:

I looked in the archives of this newsgroup but could not find any
discussions on this.

A friend of mine says that there is an alternate way of cooking pasta:

- Put enough water in a pot. Add pasta and salt.
- Bring the mix to a boil.
- Then simmer until water is gone.

The process is much like cooking rice.

He could not give me the amount of water needed off hand, but
suggested that I start with a 1 to 1 ratio.

He operates an Italian restaurant so I assume he knows what he is
saying.

He's doing that famous Italian thing called "tirare la gamba."
(tee-rah-reh la gahm-bah) means to tug on a lower limb hoping you will
actually do this dumb thing so he can point and laugh at you. In the
nicest possible way, as only a friend can.

Pastorio (Pahs-tor-ee-oh)

Old 25-09-2004, 11:06 AM
Luca Pinotti

Bob (this one) wrote:
Kompu Kid wrote:

Hello All:

I looked in the archives of this newsgroup but could not find any
discussions on this.

A friend of mine says that there is an alternate way of cooking
pasta: - Put enough water in a pot. Add pasta and salt.
- Bring the mix to a boil.
- Then simmer until water is gone.

The process is much like cooking rice.

He could not give me the amount of water needed off hand, but
suggested that I start with a 1 to 1 ratio.

He operates an Italian restaurant so I assume he knows what he is
saying.

He's doing that famous Italian thing called "tirare la gamba."
(tee-rah-reh la gahm-bah) means to tug on a lower limb hoping you will
actually do this dumb thing so he can point and laugh at you. In the
nicest possible way, as only a friend can.

Hey, Bob,
do you know that this means to die? It's Lobardy dialect.
You will extend your legs fully and finally only in a coffin... ;-)
I wish you will do it as far as possible.

Old 25-09-2004, 11:10 AM
Bob (this one)

Luca Pinotti wrote:

Bob (this one) wrote:

Kompu Kid wrote:

[...]

In English it means to play a joke (fare un scherzo) on someone.

I like the English better...

Pastorio

Old 25-09-2004, 11:19 AM
Luca Pinotti

"Bob (this one)" wrote in message
Luca Pinotti wrote:

Bob (this one) wrote:

Kompu Kid wrote:

[...]

(fare unO scherzo)

You bad bguddy ;-)

Old 25-09-2004, 02:35 PM
Jack Schidt®

Kompu Kid wrote:

Hello All:

I looked in the archives of this newsgroup but could not find any
discussions on this.

A friend of mine says that there is an alternate way of cooking pasta:

- Put enough water in a pot. Add pasta and salt.
- Bring the mix to a boil.
- Then simmer until water is gone.

The process is much like cooking rice.

He could not give me the amount of water needed off hand, but
suggested that I start with a 1 to 1 ratio.

He operates an Italian restaurant so I assume he knows what he is
saying.

He's doing that famous Italian thing called "tirare la gamba."
(tee-rah-reh la gahm-bah) means to tug on a lower limb hoping you will
actually do this dumb thing so he can point and laugh at you. In the
nicest possible way, as only a friend can.

Pastorio (Pahs-tor-ee-oh)

Haha!

Jack Leg (not to be confused with Jake Leg)