zxcvbob

Kompu Kid wrote:

> Hello All:
>
> I looked in the archives of this newsgroup but could not find any
> discussions on this.
>
> A friend of mine says that there is an alternate way of cooking pasta:
>
> - Put enough water in a pot. Add pasta and salt.
> - Bring the mix to a boil.
> - Then simmer until water is gone.
>
> The process is much like cooking rice.
>
> He could not give me the amount of water needed off hand, but
> suggested that I start with a 1 to 1 ratio.
>
> He operates an Italian restaurant so I assume he knows what he is
> saying.
>
> Has anybody else run into cooking pasta this way?
>
> Deguza

It will be sticky if you do that because starch will dissolve in the
water and then thicken up as you boil the water away. But it will be OK
if you're gonna use a starchy or cheese-based sauce where the extra
starch will just mix into the sauce. Don't try to boil away all the
water; cook until the pasta is done and the water is almost gone, then
add the overly-thick sauce and let the cooking water thin it out.

It's not a very good method, but it works for making skillet casseroles.

Bob