Old 18-09-2004, 12:16 PM
kalanamak

stark wrote:

Tired of paying $8 for 5 lbs of Tilde basmati rice with $9 for
shipping, so I shopped a Mediterranean store in town and bought 25 lbs
of Pakastani basmati for about $8. 25 lbs. was the smallest quantity
offered. This came in a nice cloth bag with handles and a zipper and
after a month, some creepy-crawlies.

Yeah, I know . .it's protein. But I had been washing what I used. Most
American grown rice states "doesn't need rinsing" but I think I'll
continue rinsing all my rice.

Freeze it now. Next time, freeze it when you buy it. Bas shouldn't get
creepies....I've have creepies in all kinds of Indian stuff, but never
bas. Where are you? Even our backwoods Costco has basmati.
blacksalt

Old 18-09-2004, 02:04 PM
Fudge

Most oriental grocery stores in the Ottawa area keep the rice and bugs in
separate containers so the customers can mix their own blend.

Farmer John

Old 18-09-2004, 02:57 PM
Alan_B

"Fudge" wrote in
:

"stark" wrote in message
Tired of paying $8 for 5 lbs of Tilde basmati rice with $9 for
shipping, so I shopped a Mediterranean store in town and bought 25 lbs
of Pakastani basmati for about $8. 25 lbs. was the smallest quantity
offered. This came in a nice cloth bag with handles and a zipper and
after a month, some creepy-crawlies.

Yeah, I know . .it's protein. But I had been washing what I used. Most
American grown rice states "doesn't need rinsing" but I think I'll
continue rinsing all my rice.

Consider dumping some bay leaves into the rice bag to stop the bugs getting
into the bag or scaring them out of the bag.

--
Last year's nuts must go.
- Michael Odom

Old 18-09-2004, 04:43 PM
PENMART01

stark sraven writes:

after a month, some creepy-crawlies.

Yeah, I know . .it's protein. But I had been washing what I used. Most
American grown rice states "doesn't need rinsing" but I think I'll
continue rinsing all my rice.

Rice marked "Enriched" does not need washing, nor should it be washed, lest the
added nutrients be washed away. Virtually all rice grown and packaged in the
US needs no washing.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

Old 18-09-2004, 04:53 PM
Alan Connor

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 13:57:58 GMT, Alan_B
wrote:

snip

"stark" wrote in message

Tired of paying $8 for 5 lbs of Tilde basmati rice with $9
for shipping, so I shopped a Mediterranean store in town
and bought 25 lbs of Pakastani basmati for about $8. 25
lbs. was the smallest quantity offered. This came in a nice
cloth bag with handles and a zipper and after a month, some
creepy-crawlies.
Yeah, I know . .it's protein. But I had been washing what I
used. Most American grown rice states "doesn't need rinsing"
but I think I'll continue rinsing all my rice.

Consider dumping some bay leaves into the rice bag to stop the
bugs getting into the bag or scaring them out of the bag.

Good idea! Any of the aromatic mints will do the same thing.

Put either or both of these (dried) inside and then tie a
wreath or bunch of them around the neck of the bag after giving
it a week for the current residents to depart. (Or hatch and
depart...Be sure to leave a way for them to escape and perhaps
a little bag of rice nearby to attract them, which can then
be dumped/burned/buried.

AC

Old 18-09-2004, 07:28 PM
Katra

stark wrote:

Tired of paying $8 for 5 lbs of Tilde basmati rice with $9 for
shipping, so I shopped a Mediterranean store in town and bought 25 lbs
of Pakastani basmati for about $8. 25 lbs. was the smallest quantity
offered. This came in a nice cloth bag with handles and a zipper and
after a month, some creepy-crawlies.

Yeah, I know . .it's protein. But I had been washing what I used. Most
American grown rice states "doesn't need rinsing" but I think I'll
continue rinsing all my rice.

I keep my rice in the freezer to prevent this. ;-)

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...