Leonard Abbott

Default GIVE ME A GOOD RECIPE FOR MEAT LOAF````` ANYONE

I am looking for something, low fat with vegetables.

Marge

My husband uses a mixture of pork, ground beef and veal, about 1.5 lbs.
Sautes green, red bell peppers first, then puts them in the meat, with
either 4 slices of bread crumbs, or saltine crackers. He adds about
1/4 cup chicken broth, oregano, egg, salt and pepper, ketchup. Cook at
350 for about 1 hour 20 minutes.

xrongor

not a recipie but an idea to change it up a bit. use any meatloaf recipie.

after cooking it, take it out of the pan and pack freshly prepared mashed
potatoes (with carrots and peas in it or not...) around it about an inch
thick. drizzle some butter/margerine/nothing depending on your fat
requirements and sprinkle with paprika. rebake it for about 20 minutes.
yummy especially if you have some gravy. prepare the gravy while its
rebaking.

randy

"Leonard Abbott" > wrote in message
> I am looking for something, low fat with vegetables.

xrongor

not a recipie but an idea to change it up a bit. use any meatloaf recipie.

after cooking it, take it out of the pan and pack freshly prepared mashed
potatoes (with carrots and peas in it or not...) around it about an inch
thick. drizzle some butter/margerine/nothing depending on your fat
requirements and sprinkle with paprika. rebake it for about 20 minutes.
yummy especially if you have some gravy. prepare the gravy while its
rebaking.

randy

"Leonard Abbott" > wrote in message
> I am looking for something, low fat with vegetables.

Sharon Bates

California Meat Loaf 1
1/2 lb. ground round --- 1 cup bread crumbs or cracker meal--- 1 egg,
beaten--- 1/2 can small tomato sauce--- 1/4 cup chopped onion--- salt &
pepper to taste.

Combine and shape into loaf. Place in baking dish. Then combine;
1 1/2 cans tomato sauce
3 Tbsp brown sugr
3 Tbsp vinegar
2 Tbsp prepared mustard
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce

Pour over meatloaf and bake 1 hour at 350 degrees. Sauce makes good
gravy

Mpoconnor7

>The best scratch meatloaf recipe. Use 1 egg (beaten), one cup of
>quaker oats, 1 8oz can of tomato sauce. You can add spices and a cup
>of vegetables. MIX with 1 1/2 to 2 lbs of 85% ground beef. (much
>tastier than lean) MIX WELL!...shape in the form of an oval rounded
>loaf. coat with 1 tbl ketchup BAKE on a lipped cooking sheet at 375
>degrees for about 1 hour. You can verify doneness with a thermometer
>(153 for 2 minutes or 160 instantly) DRAIN grease.

That's the basic Quaker Oats recipe. I like to add a little diced onion and
green and or red pepper, but I'm sure you could add other veggies like corn or
carrots to the mix. Also, I like to use V8 in place of tomato juice/sauce.
When I make it I find it usually takes about an hour and fifteen minutes to an
hour and a half to cook completely.

Michael O'Connor - Modern Renaissance Man

"The likelihood of one individual being correct increases in a direct
proportion to the intensity with which others try to prove him wrong"
James Mason from the movie "Heaven Can Wait".

1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef
1 diced onion
1 diced green pepper
2 slices bread soaked in a little milk
1 beaten egg
salt & pepper to taste

mix all the ingredients together but DON'T make it mushy. Create 2
loaves from the mix . Heat on medium with canola or olive oil two
average frying pans or one large frying pan. When oil is heated place
loaves in pan and brown on one side for about 5 mins...with a LARGE
spatula turn over and brown other side for abt 5 mins.
Add water halfway to top of meat, cover & simmer for 20
minutes....remove loaves to platter, make gravy with the pan liquid by
using a bit of flour in cold water and adding gravy master and a bit of
salt & pepper....serve with mashed potatoes and veggies of your
choice...the meatloaf is NEVER dry and you will almost never have
leftovers....if you do, the gravy does the trick of making it taste
"unleftoer"...I've been doing it this way for over 40 years and I would
never go back to oven baking it.....

http://community.webtv.net/R-J-Q/FIRSTANNUALALLYEAR

http://www.wtv-zone.com/cal555/index.html

Marge

I never could get used to the taste of meatloaf with oats.

Sharon, your topping sounds great.

Side dish, mashed potatoes made with a mix of buttermilk and milk.
Buttermilk adds a lot of flavor, and they sell low fat and even non-fat
(I think, we always use the low fat).

Mpoconnor7

>1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef
>1 diced onion
>1 diced green pepper
>2 slices bread soaked in a little milk
>1 beaten egg
>salt & pepper to taste
>
>mix all the ingredients together but DON'T make it mushy. Create 2
>loaves from the mix . Heat on medium with canola or olive oil two
>average frying pans or one large frying pan. When oil is heated place
>loaves in pan and brown on one side for about 5 mins...with a LARGE
>spatula turn over and brown other side for abt 5 mins.
>Add water halfway to top of meat, cover & simmer for 20
>minutes....remove loaves to platter, make gravy with the pan liquid by
>using a bit of flour in cold water and adding gravy master and a bit of
>salt & pepper....serve with mashed potatoes and veggies of your
>choice...the meatloaf is NEVER dry and you will almost never have
>leftovers....if you do, the gravy does the trick of making it taste
>"unleftoer"...I've been doing it this way for over 40 years and I would
>never go back to oven baking it.....

Interesting recipe; I'll have to give this a try.

Michael O'Connor - Modern Renaissance Man

"The likelihood of one individual being correct increases in a direct
proportion to the intensity with which others try to prove him wrong"
James Mason from the movie "Heaven Can Wait".

Mpoconnor7

>1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef
>1 diced onion
>1 diced green pepper
>2 slices bread soaked in a little milk
>1 beaten egg
>salt & pepper to taste
>
>mix all the ingredients together but DON'T make it mushy. Create 2
>loaves from the mix . Heat on medium with canola or olive oil two
>average frying pans or one large frying pan. When oil is heated place
>loaves in pan and brown on one side for about 5 mins...with a LARGE
>spatula turn over and brown other side for abt 5 mins.
>Add water halfway to top of meat, cover & simmer for 20
>minutes....remove loaves to platter, make gravy with the pan liquid by
>using a bit of flour in cold water and adding gravy master and a bit of
>salt & pepper....serve with mashed potatoes and veggies of your
>choice...the meatloaf is NEVER dry and you will almost never have
>leftovers....if you do, the gravy does the trick of making it taste
>"unleftoer"...I've been doing it this way for over 40 years and I would
>never go back to oven baking it.....

Interesting recipe; I'll have to give this a try.

Michael O'Connor - Modern Renaissance Man

"The likelihood of one individual being correct increases in a direct
proportion to the intensity with which others try to prove him wrong"
James Mason from the movie "Heaven Can Wait".
DaddyMonkey

Heck... it ain't a salad, potatoE, or meat-loaf unless it has a
thousand grams of FAT!

My mom use to un-wrap a pack of hamburger, chuck it into the oven 'as
is'... Bake it at 350 for... I don't know, maybe 30 to 45 minutes... it
was just a hunk of cooked meat.

DM, I'll bet she also put ketsup on spaghetti and macaroni too!!! LOL

http://community.webtv.net/R-J-Q/FIRSTANNUALALLYEAR

http://www.wtv-zone.com/cal555/index.html

DM, I'll bet she also put ketsup on spaghetti and macaroni too!!! LOL

http://community.webtv.net/R-J-Q/FIRSTANNUALALLYEAR

http://www.wtv-zone.com/cal555/index.html

willille

"Marge" > wrote in message >...
> My husband uses a mixture of pork, ground beef and veal, about 1.5 lbs.
> Sautes green, red bell peppers first, then puts them in the meat, with
> either 4 slices of bread crumbs, or saltine crackers. He adds about
> 1/4 cup chicken broth, oregano, egg, salt and pepper, ketchup. Cook at
> 350 for about 1 hour 20 minutes.

I am glad to see that someone knows the difference between meatloaf
and hamburger loaf. I also agree with you about the oatmeal.
willille

"Marge" > wrote in message >...
> My husband uses a mixture of pork, ground beef and veal, about 1.5 lbs.
> Sautes green, red bell peppers first, then puts them in the meat, with
> either 4 slices of bread crumbs, or saltine crackers. He adds about
> 1/4 cup chicken broth, oregano, egg, salt and pepper, ketchup. Cook at
> 350 for about 1 hour 20 minutes.

I am glad to see that someone knows the difference between meatloaf
and hamburger loaf. I also agree with you about the oatmeal.
willille