Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Any Good Meat Loaf Recipes With Gravy?

When I connected onto my MSNTV home page today, there was a link to a
meat loaf recipe. The meat loaf pictured had tomato sauce on top of it.

At our home, we always ate meat loaf with GRAVY poured on top of it, and
we had more gravy to pour onto the mashed potatoes and the slice of meat
loaf itself. I never particularly liked my mother's meat loaf because
she used fatty hamburger, and used crumbled saltine crackers because she
could not afford bread crumbs or lean ground beef.

Does anyone here have any good meat loaf (with gravy) recipes that taste
good, without tasting greasy (that is a common complaint of my father
when he eats meat loaf at restaurants)?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Any Good Meat Loaf Recipes With Gravy?TTT

No messages.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Lawrence Ressler wrote:
[snip]
> Does anyone here have any good meat loaf (with gravy) recipes that taste
> good, without tasting greasy (that is a common complaint of my father
> when he eats meat loaf at restaurants)?

Meat loaf doesn't lend itself to making its own gravy or pan gravy, so
you have to make some kind of brown gravy by itself to use with the
meat loaf. A typical one would have you sauté some aromatic
vegetables with appropriate herbs, then add beef or veal stock, chicken
stock, maybe a splash of wine. Reduce, and then perhaps thicken with
cornstarch slurry or flour and butter.

There's a recipe for meat loaf and accompanying gravy at this site:
http://www.thatsmyhome.com/momsdiner/beef/market.htm

The recipes are said to be from 72 Market Place, a good restaurant in
L.A. I've enjoyed eating there but haven't ordered their meat loaf.
If I were making this recipe I would omit the celery and carrots and
probably the nutmeg. But that's the nature of meatloaf -- there are
endless variations. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lawrence Ressler" > wrote in message
> When I connected onto my MSNTV home page today, there was a link to a
> meat loaf recipe. The meat loaf pictured had tomato sauce on top of it.
>
> At our home, we always ate meat loaf with GRAVY poured on top of it, and
> we had more gravy to pour onto the mashed potatoes and the slice of meat
> loaf itself. I never particularly liked my mother's meat loaf because
> she used fatty hamburger, and used crumbled saltine crackers because she
> could not afford bread crumbs or lean ground beef.
>
> Does anyone here have any good meat loaf (with gravy) recipes that taste
> good, without tasting greasy (that is a common complaint of my father
> when he eats meat loaf at restaurants)?

You will have to either make the meatloaf soon after roasting some beef,
so you can have homemade gravy, or use the jarred/canned/packet kind.

I have started freezing the drippings and scrapings from roasted beef and
pork, freezing it, then thawing it to make gravy when I have meatloaf.

I don't have a set recipe, but here is roughly how I make meatloaf for
gravy:

3 lbs meatloaf
2 eggs
One large onion, diced and browned OR
onion flakes, to taste
One stalk celery, diced
One half a green pepper, diced
1/2-3/4 cup milk
salt and fresh ground pepper
1-2 pieces of bread, torn up into
small bits

Dump it all in a mixing bowl and maul with
your hands until it looks properly blended.
(You can sautee the celery and peppers a
bit beforehand if you like, but I like mine raw.)

Form into a loaf and place on a rack in a roasting
pan and bake for an hour at 350. My oven is really
hot so you might want to bake yours longer.

Make your gravy the last half hour, and dump it on!
Or open the jar and dump it on!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

> I don't have one. Having said that, I'd probably cut off a portion of
> the cooked meatloaf and chop it up finely. I'd probably use some
> meatloaf fat (highly unhealthy) with some butter and flour to make a
> roux and make a white gravy with milk, adding the meatloaf bits to it
> while I was waiting for the gravy to thicken. Salt and pepper to taste.
> I just may try this and leave the ketchup off for once. I'd prefer a
> rich beef gravy though. A can of beef broth with thickener and seasoning
> might accomplish that.
>
> leo

You'd do better by roasting the meatloaf in a roasting pan, then
removing it to keep warm. Take some of the drippings from the roasted
meatloaf (directly in the pan if you can) and thicken with beef stock
with a cornstarch slurry.
Or saute some mushrooms in some of the pan drippings (not more than a
couple of tablespoons) and add beef stock (a cup or so) to the pan. Add
a tablespoon of cornstarch to a small quantity of cold water and then
add that to the mushroom/stock mixture. Cook until thickened and season
as desired.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lawrence Ressler wrote:
> When I connected onto my MSNTV home page today, there was a link to a
> meat loaf recipe. The meat loaf pictured had tomato sauce on top of it.
>
> At our home, we always ate meat loaf with GRAVY poured on top of it, and
> we had more gravy to pour onto the mashed potatoes and the slice of meat
> loaf itself. I never particularly liked my mother's meat loaf because
> she used fatty hamburger, and used crumbled saltine crackers because she
> could not afford bread crumbs or lean ground beef.
>
> Does anyone here have any good meat loaf (with gravy) recipes that taste
> good, without tasting greasy (that is a common complaint of my father
> when he eats meat loaf at restaurants)?

Very first thing is to buy a meat grinder... can't make good meat loaf
with pre ground mystery meat, simply can't be done. For how-tos and
recipes come back when you have the meat grinder, otherrwise I'd just
be wasting my efforts.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:

> You will have to either make the meatloaf soon after roasting some beef,
> so you can have homemade gravy, or use the jarred/canned/packet kind.

You're a ****ing moron.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"projectile vomit chick" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> cybercat wrote:
>>
>> You will have to either make the meatloaf soon after roasting some beef,
>> so you can have homemade gravy, or use the jarred/canned/packet kind.

> You're a ****ing moron.

And you are so original, you must be a genius.

Let's have your meatloaf with gravy recipe, tunacrotch.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lawrence wrote:

> Does anyone here have any good meat loaf (with gravy) recipes that taste
> good, without tasting greasy (that is a common complaint of my father
> when he eats meat loaf at restaurants)?

I posted these same links on November 4:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.f...e9ac4b1?hl=en&
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.f...1307ecd?hl=en&
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.f...4cd7101?hl=en&

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Goomba38 > wrote:

> You'd do better by roasting the meatloaf in a roasting pan, then
> removing it to keep warm. Take some of the drippings from the roasted
> meatloaf (directly in the pan if you can) and thicken with beef stock
> with a cornstarch slurry.
> Or saute some mushrooms in some of the pan drippings (not more than a
> couple of tablespoons) and add beef stock (a cup or so) to the pan. Add
> a tablespoon of cornstarch to a small quantity of cold water and then
> add that to the mushroom/stock mixture. Cook until thickened and season
> as desired.

Between the OP, you and Wayne, I'm rethinking meatloaf for the first
time in my life. Thanks guys and gals!

leo

--
<http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lawrence Ressler" > wrote in message
> When I connected onto my MSNTV home page today, there was a link to a
> meat loaf recipe. The meat loaf pictured had tomato sauce on top of it.
>
> At our home, we always ate meat loaf with GRAVY poured on top of it, and
> we had more gravy to pour onto the mashed potatoes and the slice of meat
> loaf itself. I never particularly liked my mother's meat loaf because
> she used fatty hamburger, and used crumbled saltine crackers because she
> could not afford bread crumbs or lean ground beef.
>
> Does anyone here have any good meat loaf (with gravy) recipes that taste
> good, without tasting greasy (that is a common complaint of my father
> when he eats meat loaf at restaurants)?

* Exported from MasterCook *

Meatloaf with Mushroom Gravy

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 8
Categories : Beef

2 pounds lean ground beef
8 ounces fresh white mushrooms -- coarsely chopped
1 1.4 ounce packaged dry vegetable soup mix
1/2 cup seasoned dry bread crumbs
1/2 cup milk
1 egg -- lightly beaten
----------------------------
MUSHROOM GRAVY:

1/4 cup milk
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons butter
8 ounces fresh white mushrooms -- sliced
1/3 cup yellow onion -- coarsely chopped
1 14 ounce can beef broth
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon Gravy Master

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large bowl, combine beef, mushrooms, vegetable soup mix, bread crumbs,
milk and egg. Mix with hands, without squeezing, until well combined.

Shape into 2 loaves, 5" x 7" each. Place loaves onto a rack in a shallow
baking pan.

Bake for approximately 1 hour or until 160 degrees F. internal temperature.

MUSHROOM GRAVY:

Approximately 15 minutes before meat is done, combine milk and cornstarch in
a small bowl and set aside.

Melt butter in a large skillet over high heat.

Lower heat to medium, add mushrooms and onions, cook and stir until
mushrooms are golden, approximately 10 minutes.

Return heat to high, stir in beef broth and water, bring to boil.

Stir cornstarch mixture well and stir into mushroom mixture; stir in Gravy
Master.

Stir constantly over high heat, until slightly thickened, approximately 1 -
2 minutes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
> Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
>
>> I don't have one. Having said that, I'd probably cut off a portion of
>> the cooked meatloaf and chop it up finely. I'd probably use some
>> meatloaf fat (highly unhealthy) with some butter

Meatloaf fat (drippings) with butter just equals more fat!

>> leo
>>

> You'd do better by roasting the meatloaf in a roasting pan, then
> removing it to keep warm. Take some of the drippings from the roasted
> meatloaf (directly in the pan if you can) and thicken with beef stock
> with a cornstarch slurry.

That's exactly what I would do! It's not like you're using *all* of the pan
drippings. Season as desired (pepper, thyme, like that).

Jill

NEED A GOOD COOK BOOK TO MAKE A GOOD GRAVY LIKE MOM MADE! [email protected] General Cooking 16 18-03-2011 07:12 PM
Meat Loaf sharkman General Cooking 9 20-06-2009 02:18 PM
Meat Loaf with Mushroom Gravy Pat Nugent Recipes (moderated) 0 02-07-2008 03:46 AM
Best Ever Meat Loaf jacqueline austin Recipes (moderated) 0 25-04-2007 10:55 AM
GIVE ME A GOOD RECIPE FOR MEAT LOAF````` ANYONE Leonard Abbott General Cooking 22 03-09-2004 01:36 PM