clio22

Default beef granules vs soup base

Hi,

I just started making homemade onion soup mix (I like to throw it in
meatloaf, on roasts, etc.). I was using powdered beef bouillon in the
mix until I saw how much salt, monosodium glutamate and other garbage
is contained therein. I'm not sure if beef granules contain the same
amount of salt, but the issue is moot, anyway, since my local stores
don't carry granules and I can't find any online stores selling same.

I have, however, found a lot of online stores selling soup base. I've
never used soup base. Do any of you think that I can substitute a beef
soup base for beef granules in an onion soup mix?

Many thanks.
Bonnie
Sylvia

As Steve said, the soup base is a paste and needs refrigeration. I buy
both the chicken and beef at Sam's and keep them in the fridge after
opening -- they do seem to stay good forever that way. Like you, I
prefer making my own onion soup mix but I haven't found anything better
than powdered bouillon. If you do, please remember to share it here!

If you have a Sam's nearby, try the soup base from there. As I said, I
keep bouillon around for those recipes that require a dry product, but
for everything calling for beef or chicken stock, I just mix up soup
base and water to produce the given amount of stock. Delicious and
easy, and MUCH cheaper than canned commercial stock.

--
Sylvia Steiger RN, homeschooling mom since Nov 1995
http://www.SteigerFamily.com

Steve Wertz

(clio22) wrote:

>> >I just started making homemade onion soup mix (I like to throw it in
>> >meatloaf, on roasts, etc.). I was using powdered beef bouillon in the
>> >mix until I saw how much salt, monosodium glutamate and other garbage
>> >is contained therein. I'm not sure if beef granules contain the same
>> >amount of salt, but the issue is moot, anyway, since my local stores
>> >don't carry granules and I can't find any online stores selling same.
>> >
>> >I have, however, found a lot of online stores selling soup base. I've
>> >never used soup base. Do any of you think that I can substitute a beef
>> >soup base for beef granules in an onion soup mix?

>> Soup bases are generally much better than any dried products. They
>> come in paste form though, though mixing them with other ingredients
>> would be difficult. They'll need to be kept refridgerated for best
>> results.
>>
>> -sw

>Ah, this won't help me. The pictures of soup base that I saw online
>looked "fluffy-grainy", so I thought perhaps I could substitute. I'll
>just have to keep searching online for beef granules.

They may indeed be a dry product, but I wouldn't call them a soup
base. The main ingredient in stock bases should be meat (then usually
salt - they're still quite salty, but not as bad a boullion/granuals.

If I hadto go with a dried beef-stock product, it would be from Knorr.
Lots of hits on "knorr beef stock granules", though they don't seem to
list their products on their website.

-sw
clio22

Sylvia > wrote in message >...
> As Steve said, the soup base is a paste and needs refrigeration. I buy
> both the chicken and beef at Sam's and keep them in the fridge after
> opening -- they do seem to stay good forever that way. Like you, I
> prefer making my own onion soup mix but I haven't found anything better
> than powdered bouillon. If you do, please remember to share it here!
>
> If you have a Sam's nearby, try the soup base from there. As I said, I
> keep bouillon around for those recipes that require a dry product, but
> for everything calling for beef or chicken stock, I just mix up soup
> base and water to produce the given amount of stock. Delicious and
> easy, and MUCH cheaper than canned commercial stock.

I live in NYC; I've never heard of Sam's :^)

As to the bouillon substitute, I found a granulated beef base at My
Spicer
(http://www.myspicer.com/index.html). This is the same texture
("fluffy-grainy") that I had seen previously, prior to posting to the
group. It's not a paste. The site claims that it can also be used as a
"seasoning for vegetables, frozen entrees, rice, noodles, and beans."
And it looks dry enough to use in a dry mix.

I don't need the bouillon or a soup base to use as stocks; I make my
own stocks. I use the onion soup mix as a pre-mixed dry flavoring to
add to meat loaf, roasts or anything else that would benefit from
beef/onion/garlic flavoring.

In fact, I discovered at My Spicer a Worcestshire Powder that would be
a great addition to my mix!

Bonnie

Sam's is really "Sam's Club" - Sam Walton's/Walmart's wholesale buying
club. Wholesale buying clubs like Costco are similar. Sam's carries
"Tone's" brand of chicken and beef base.

http://samsclub.com/

: I live in NYC; I've never heard of Sam's :^)