Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Canadian-style Yellow Split-Pea Soup with a beer base - A question of style?

It’s getting cool enough to enjoy some Canadian-Style Yellow Split-Pea Soup. My recipe uses smoked beer (http://bit.ly/WYobO4). Anyone else use a lager or an ale?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/3/2013 9:13 AM, Peter LaFrance wrote:
> It’s getting cool enough to enjoy some Canadian-Style Yellow Split-Pea Soup. My recipe uses smoked beer (http://bit.ly/WYobO4). Anyone else use a lager or an ale?

How on earth does one smoke a beer?

(insert your own punch line)

The recipe however looks great.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 3 Sep 2013 08:13:33 -0700 (PDT), Peter LaFrance
> wrote:

> It’s getting cool enough to enjoy some Canadian-Style Yellow Split-Pea Soup. My recipe uses smoked beer (http://bit.ly/WYobO4). Anyone else use a lager or an ale?

I've never considered using beer in split pea soup, but I like the
idea and will give it a shot sometime.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 03 Sep 2013 10:20:20 -0600, casa contenta > wrote:

> On 9/3/2013 9:13 AM, Peter LaFrance wrote:
> > It’s getting cool enough to enjoy some Canadian-Style Yellow Split-Pea Soup. My recipe uses smoked beer (http://bit.ly/WYobO4). Anyone else use a lager or an ale?
> >

> How on earth does one smoke a beer?
>
> (insert your own punch line)
>
> The recipe however looks great.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoked_beer tells you how. There's a
town in Bavaria called Bamberg that's renowned for smoked beer. We
bought a bottle to share and decided it's an acquired taste. I didn't
like it at all, hubby finished the bottle but didn't go back for more.

I like to braise pork in beer, so I think I'll find a smoked beer here
and try it the next time I braise pork for pulling. Hopefully, it
will impart a smoky flavor to the meat but not be overpowering.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-09-03, casa contenta > wrote:

> How on earth does one smoke a beer?

In a bong. duh.....

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2013-09-03, casa contenta > wrote:
>
>> How on earth does one smoke a beer?

> In a bong. duh.....

no, use a beer hookah

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/3/2013 12:23 PM, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 03 Sep 2013 10:20:20 -0600, casa contenta > wrote:
>
>> On 9/3/2013 9:13 AM, Peter LaFrance wrote:
>>> It’s getting cool enough to enjoy some Canadian-Style Yellow Split-Pea Soup. My recipe uses smoked beer (http://bit.ly/WYobO4). Anyone else use a lager or an ale?
>>>

>> How on earth does one smoke a beer?
>>
>> (insert your own punch line)
>>
>> The recipe however looks great.

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoked_beer tells you how. There's a
> town in Bavaria called Bamberg that's renowned for smoked beer. We
> bought a bottle to share and decided it's an acquired taste. I didn't
> like it at all, hubby finished the bottle but didn't go back for more.
>
> I like to braise pork in beer, so I think I'll find a smoked beer here
> and try it the next time I braise pork for pulling. Hopefully, it
> will impart a smoky flavor to the meat but not be overpowering.

Well that's another first for me!

I see by the list that the Sam Adams brand offers one domestically. I
certainly think that the flavor would be very compatible with braised
pork, or beef.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/3/2013 12:27 PM, notbob wrote:
> On 2013-09-03, casa contenta > wrote:
>
>> How on earth does one smoke a beer?

> In a bong. duh.....

Ok, I figured someone would go there...;-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pico Rico" > wrote in message

> "notbob" > wrote in message
>> On 2013-09-03, casa contenta > wrote:
>>
>>> How on earth does one smoke a beer?

>> In a bong. duh.....

> no, use a beer hookah

lol

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-09-03, casa contenta > wrote:
> On 9/3/2013 12:27 PM, notbob wrote:

>> In a bong. duh.....

> Ok, I figured someone would go there...;-)

Ancient history. OTOH, Alaska Brewing Smoked Porter is to die for,
when you can get it:

http://alaskanbeer.com/our-brew/limi...ed-porter.html

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoked_beer tells you how. There's a
> town in Bavaria called Bamberg

Wasn't Bamberg in Franken?

> that's renowned for smoked beer. We
> bought a bottle to share and decided it's an acquired taste. I didn't
> like it at all, hubby finished the bottle but didn't go back for more.

Same as me, can't stand it

> I like to braise pork in beer, so I think I'll find a smoked beer here
> and try it the next time I braise pork for pulling. Hopefully, it
> will impart a smoky flavor to the meat but not be overpowering.

If it works, it could be the real use of rauchbier. Tell us how it worked
out
--
"Un pasto senza vino e' come un giorno senza sole"
Anthelme Brillat Savarin