Default Penzey's soup base vs. Redi-base

Jack Schidt wrote:

> I've tried Redi-base soup bases and some are powdered and some are paste.
> Their website would say for sure which is which.

I bought their soup bases about six months ago, based on the
recommendation of some people on this group. I really like the flavor.
I find I'm happy using it at half the concentration they suggest.
The chicken, which I use the most, adds a nice flavor to the rest of
the dish. The ham base is quite strongly flavored, so I use even less
of that one.

I have one major complaint about them, though. They make a big deal
on their website of "No added MSG" and "No added glutamates." This is
simply false as they have autolyzed yeast extract in their products,
which is a significant source of free glutamates. I wrote to them
about this and it was the only e-mail of mine that they didn't answer.
This makes them appear deceitful.

I like the flavor of their products enough that I'll still buy them -- I
think there are enough quality ingredients in the bases that the MSG
isn't a major component, but still, they should be honest about what's
in their stuff.

Here are some web-sites for reference about glutamates:

http://www.truthinlabeling.org/nomsg.html

http://www.truthinlabeling.org/FDA-3-20-02-letter.html

http://www.thebigcarrot.ca/additives.htm

Sandy