Old 23-11-2003, 09:02 PM
Moosemeat

Default Aaout this honey comb

I have been given this honey comb just out of the beehive and loaded with
honey. Question is how do I get the honey out of the wax thingees

--

Moosemeat

Old 23-11-2003, 09:28 PM
Ken Davey

"Moosemeat" wrote in message
I have been given this honey comb just out of the beehive and loaded with
honey. Question is how do I get the honey out of the wax thingees

--

Moosemeat

VERY gently heat it in a (preferably) stainless saucepan until the wax melts
and rises to the top.
Chill and peel the wax off .
Or run it through a grinder and place in a cheese cloth bag and let the
honey drain off .
Commercial operations use a hot knife to cut the caps off the cells and then
centrifuge to expel the honey.
Ken.

Old 23-11-2003, 10:02 PM
Ken Davey

Followup to my original reply - Be prepared to get very sticky.
Ken.

Old 23-11-2003, 10:32 PM
Dave Smith

Moosemeat wrote:

I have been given this honey comb just out of the beehive and loaded with
honey. Question is how do I get the honey out of the wax thingees

You don't need to extract it. Cut off a hunk and smear in toast. The comb is
added flavour and texture. It is quite a treat. Some of the honey will ooze
out over time. In an apiary operation they stick the combs in a centrifuge
and spin it until all the honey has been extracted.

Old 23-11-2003, 11:14 PM
sf

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 13:02:47 -0800, "Moosemeat"
wrote:

I have been given this honey comb just out of the beehive and loaded with
honey. Question is how do I get the honey out of the wax thingees

Why bother? I LOVE comb honey... eat it comb and all.
Old 23-11-2003, 11:29 PM
PENMART01

"Moosemeat" writes:

I have been given this honey comb just out of the beehive and loaded with
honey. Question is how do I get the honey out of the wax thingees

The beeswax is edible, but...

With a strainer transfer the honey to another jar, couldn't be simpler. Any
that sticks to the wax comb can be easily removed by placing the comb back into
its jar with a small bit of water, cover and swish to dissolve honey and use
sweetened water to sweeten tea, coffee, for baking, mixed with schnapps...

Save the beeswax to stiffen your bowstring, good for lots of other things too.

http://www.texasdrone.com/Beeswax-Uses.htm

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Old 24-11-2003, 01:09 AM
Curly Sue

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 22:02:53 GMT, "Ken Davey"
wrote:

Followup to my original reply - Be prepared to get very sticky.
Ken.

He's been there. This brings back memories of Moosemeat's Peanut
Brittle Adventure...

Sue(tm)
Old 24-11-2003, 01:11 AM
Dave Smith

sf wrote:

I have been given this honey comb just out of the beehive and loaded with
honey. Question is how do I get the honey out of the wax thingees

Why bother? I LOVE comb honey... eat it comb and all.

I agree. I consider it to be a very special treat. It may be one of those things
that some people are funny about. We once took some comb honey to a goof
friend's cottage. They didn't seem very excited about it and it turned out that
no one in the family like honey, never mind comb honey. A lot of local markets
have it for sale but it never seems to be a big seller. It may be the price,
since it is so much more expensive than liquid honey. Having known several
people who have kept their own bees I know that it is a much more expensive
process to get comb honey than the regular stuff, but I hate to imagine how much
more expensive it would be if everyone else knew how good it was

Old 24-11-2003, 02:22 AM
Ken Davey

I do not have any knowledge of the 'peanut brittle thing but I can imagine.
Love your sig line.
Ken.

Old 24-11-2003, 02:27 AM
Wayne Boatwright

"Moosemeat" wrote in
:

I have been given this honey comb just out of the beehive and loaded with
honey. Question is how do I get the honey out of the wax thingees

I can't answer that. However, I do know that some people cut off small
chucks (including the wax) and eat on hot biscuits. (The wax is edible.)

Wayne
Old 24-11-2003, 06:34 AM
Mark

Ken Davey wrote:

"Moosemeat" wrote in message

I have been given this honey comb just out of the beehive and loaded with
honey. Question is how do I get the honey out of the wax thingees

VERY gently heat it in a (preferably) stainless saucepan until the wax melts
and rises to the top.

A double boilers better.

Chill and peel the wax off .

Or just let it cool.

--

Mark

N.E. Ohio

Never argue with a fool, a bystander can't tell you apart. (S. Clemens,
A.K.A. Mark Twain)

When in doubt hit the throttle. It may not help but it sure ends the
suspense. (Gaz, r.moto)

Old 24-11-2003, 03:10 PM
cc0112453

Honey comb is more of a novelty food item. People often buy honey comb and
eat it like candy. You don't eat the wax but chew it until all of the honey
is extracted. It is more of a kids treat. To actually use the honey in the
comb a commercial apiary would put the honey comb through a centrifuge to
extract the honey. Cut it into small pieces and pop it in your mouth.
Don't forget to spit out the wax.

Doug

Old 24-11-2003, 03:50 PM
Dave Smith

cc0112453 wrote:

Honey comb is more of a novelty food item. People often buy honey comb and
eat it like candy. You don't eat the wax but chew it until all of the honey
is extracted. It is more of a kids treat. To actually use the honey in the
comb a commercial apiary would put the honey comb through a centrifuge to
extract the honey. Cut it into small pieces and pop it in your mouth.
Don't forget to spit out the wax.

Spit out the wax? Why? Get a nicely browned piece of toast, cut off a hunk of
the comb, making sure there is lots of honey with it, spread it on the toast and
eat it. It is delicious.

Honey Julie Bove Diabetic 24 23-06-2009 03:16 AM
How do you like your honey?- Honey Bars recipe Julia Altshuler General Cooking 0 30-01-2008 02:42 PM
Honey!....Is there a Use By Date for Honey?... Bigbazza[_7_] General Cooking 2 02-01-2008 12:22 PM
Raw Honey KenCo Preserving 0 03-12-2004 06:12 AM
Jan: Church's Honey Biscuits with Honey Butter Duckie Recipes 0 13-05-2004 01:24 PM