Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Honey!....Is there a Use By Date for Honey?...

I see that there was found some honey in one of the Pharaoh's Tombs that was
over 3000 years old!... But a lot of Honey that I have bought or been given
(like special flower and Tree types) have been left in the back of my pantry
through lack of use (I mainly use honey for Flavouring Oriental Marinades
and use in boiled Veggies, like carrots etc) has developed a rank flavour
etc....

Any comments on this?

--
Bigbazza (Barry) Oz

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bigbazza" > wrote in
:

> I see that there was found some honey in one of the Pharaoh's Tombs
> that was over 3000 years old!... But a lot of Honey that I have bought
> or been given (like special flower and Tree types) have been left in
> the back of my pantry through lack of use (I mainly use honey for
> Flavouring Oriental Marinades and use in boiled Veggies, like carrots
> etc) has developed a rank flavour etc....
>
> Any comments on this?

Honeybee's honey can last for thousands of years. Tropical stingless
bee's honey doesn't and therefore must be kept refrigerated if you want
it to last for a long time. This is because it contains a higher nectar
and pollen content than you regular honey which gives it a pleasant
acid/citris flavour.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stingless_bee

Like the European honey bee (Apis mellifera) which provides most of
Australia's commercially-produced honey, stingless bees have enlarged
areas on their back legs for carrying pollen back to the hive. After a
foraging expedition, these pollen baskets or corbiculae can be seen
stuffed full of bright orange or yellow pollen. Stingless bees also
collect nectar, which they store in an extension of their gut called a
crop. Back at the hive, the bees ripen or dehydrate the nectar droplets
by spinning them inside their mouthparts until honey is formed. Ripening
concentrates the nectar and increases the sugar content, though it is
not nearly as concentrated as the honey from true honeybees; it is much
thinner in consistency, and more prone to spoiling.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Wars begin where you will...
but they do not end where you please.

Machiavelli
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 02 Jan 2008 04:10:55a, PeterLucas told us...

> "Bigbazza" > wrote in
> :
>
>> I see that there was found some honey in one of the Pharaoh's Tombs
>> that was over 3000 years old!... But a lot of Honey that I have bought
>> or been given (like special flower and Tree types) have been left in
>> the back of my pantry through lack of use (I mainly use honey for
>> Flavouring Oriental Marinades and use in boiled Veggies, like carrots
>> etc) has developed a rank flavour etc....
>>
>> Any comments on this?
>>

> Honeybee's honey can last for thousands of years. Tropical stingless
> bee's honey doesn't and therefore must be kept refrigerated if you want
> it to last for a long time. This is because it contains a higher nectar
> and pollen content than you regular honey which gives it a pleasant
> acid/citris flavour.
>

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stingless_bee
>
> Like the European honey bee (Apis mellifera) which provides most of
> Australia's commercially-produced honey, stingless bees have enlarged
> areas on their back legs for carrying pollen back to the hive. After a
> foraging expedition, these pollen baskets or corbiculae can be seen
> stuffed full of bright orange or yellow pollen. Stingless bees also
> collect nectar, which they store in an extension of their gut called a
> crop. Back at the hive, the bees ripen or dehydrate the nectar droplets
> by spinning them inside their mouthparts until honey is formed. Ripening
> concentrates the nectar and increases the sugar content, though it is
> not nearly as concentrated as the honey from true honeybees; it is much
> thinner in consistency, and more prone to spoiling.

This may be an exception, but I was given a half-gallon jar of Tupelo honey
about 13-14 years ago. I don't use honey often and still have about a half
of the jar left. It has never been refrigerated and is still good.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Wednesday, 01(I)/02(II)/08(MMVIII)
Cats must catch and eat lizards.

Honey... no expiration date :) jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 36 27-08-2013 05:26 PM
Honey Julie Bove Diabetic 24 23-06-2009 03:16 AM
How do you like your honey?- Honey Bars recipe Julia Altshuler General Cooking 0 30-01-2008 03:42 PM
Raw Honey KenCo Preserving 0 03-12-2004 07:12 AM
Jan: Church's Honey Biscuits with Honey Butter Duckie ® Recipes 0 13-05-2004 01:24 PM