Diabetic (alt.food.diabetic) This group is for the discussion of controlled-portion eating plans for the dietary management of diabetes.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 17-06-2009, 11:27 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,979
Default Honey

I looked it up and it sure looks like bee vomit to me! They suck up the
nectar into their mouths and regurgitate it.

http://www.coolquiz.com/trivia/explain/docs/honey.asp



  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 17-06-2009, 11:49 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,614
Default Honey

Julie Bove wrote:
I looked it up and it sure looks like bee vomit to me! They suck up
the nectar into their mouths and regurgitate it.

http://www.coolquiz.com/trivia/explain/docs/honey.asp


Not from their stomachs though.


  #3 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 18-06-2009, 02:06 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,979
Default Honey


"Ozgirl" wrote in message
...
Julie Bove wrote:
I looked it up and it sure looks like bee vomit to me! They suck up
the nectar into their mouths and regurgitate it.

http://www.coolquiz.com/trivia/explain/docs/honey.asp


Not from their stomachs though.


I don't care where it comes from. They're still regurgitation it. Due to
my medical problems I often throw up stuff that never made it to my stomach.


  #4 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 18-06-2009, 06:16 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 408
Default Honey

In article ,
"Julie Bove" wrote:

"Ozgirl" wrote in message
...
Julie Bove wrote:
I looked it up and it sure looks like bee vomit to me! They suck up
the nectar into their mouths and regurgitate it.

http://www.coolquiz.com/trivia/explain/docs/honey.asp


Not from their stomachs though.


I don't care where it comes from. They're still regurgitation it. Due to
my medical problems I often throw up stuff that never made it to my stomach.


You just don't care about facts, do you? You think what you think, and
there's no budging it.

PP
  #5 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 18-06-2009, 09:04 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 14,609
Default Honey

"BlueBrooke" wrote in message
...

What keeps popping into my mind while watching this discussion is the
fact that honey is so clean, you can use it medicinally. I had some
kind of, for lack of a better word, lesion on my ankle for months.
Never did figure out what it was. Put a little honey on it and it
cleared up in days. I've had a jar of honey in the top of the
cupboard for years -- it doesn't mold.


That's not exactly what pops into my mind, but some things just are what
they are. :-)

Cheri



  #6 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 18-06-2009, 10:16 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 408
Default Honey

In article ,
BlueBrooke wrote:

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 13:16:05 -0400, Peppermint Patootie
wrote:

In article ,
"Julie Bove" wrote:

"Ozgirl" wrote in message
...
Julie Bove wrote:
I looked it up and it sure looks like bee vomit to me! They suck up
the nectar into their mouths and regurgitate it.

http://www.coolquiz.com/trivia/explain/docs/honey.asp

Not from their stomachs though.

I don't care where it comes from. They're still regurgitation it. Due to
my medical problems I often throw up stuff that never made it to my
stomach.


You just don't care about facts, do you? You think what you think, and
there's no budging it.

PP


What keeps popping into my mind while watching this discussion is the
fact that honey is so clean, you can use it medicinally. I had some
kind of, for lack of a better word, lesion on my ankle for months.
Never did figure out what it was. Put a little honey on it and it
cleared up in days. I've had a jar of honey in the top of the
cupboard for years -- it doesn't mold.

If that's "bee barf" all I can say is, as prolific as my dogs are, I
wish they could produce something that useful. ;-)


Yes, honey has been used throughout history to promote healing of
wounds. I don't think it's because it's "clean," though. It isn't to
be given to very young babies because it can contain spores that can
produce a terrible strain of botulism, I think. Babies don't have
sufficient immune defense against it yet, but adults and older kids do.
I imagine it provides a decent seal to keep bad bugs out, and it may
contain helpful bacteria.

Health is not supported by cleanlines, per se. We are all colonies of
organisms working together for our own survival and, synergistically,
for the survival of the corporate organism we create together. Without
the bugs in our gut, we'd starve and be horribly sick. Other organisms
serve similar purposes. My understanding is that the mitochondria in
our cells once existed on their own and invaded a proto-human cell, then
stayed and started working together with its host.

If one applies 21st century U.S. standards of "cleanliness" to life, one
can miss out on a lot, including aspects of health.

Priscilla
  #7 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 19-06-2009, 05:02 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 656
Default Honey

BlueBrooke wrote:
On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 17:16:16 -0400, Peppermint Patootie
wrote:

In article ,
BlueBrooke wrote:

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 13:16:05 -0400, Peppermint Patootie
wrote:

In article ,
"Julie Bove" wrote:

"Ozgirl" wrote in message
...
Julie Bove wrote:
I looked it up and it sure looks like bee vomit to me! They suck up
the nectar into their mouths and regurgitate it.

http://www.coolquiz.com/trivia/explain/docs/honey.asp
Not from their stomachs though.
I don't care where it comes from. They're still regurgitation it. Due to
my medical problems I often throw up stuff that never made it to my
stomach.
You just don't care about facts, do you? You think what you think, and
there's no budging it.

PP
What keeps popping into my mind while watching this discussion is the
fact that honey is so clean, you can use it medicinally. I had some
kind of, for lack of a better word, lesion on my ankle for months.
Never did figure out what it was. Put a little honey on it and it
cleared up in days. I've had a jar of honey in the top of the
cupboard for years -- it doesn't mold.

If that's "bee barf" all I can say is, as prolific as my dogs are, I
wish they could produce something that useful. ;-)

Yes, honey has been used throughout history to promote healing of
wounds. I don't think it's because it's "clean," though.


Once again, I've used the wrong word and my point was lost. "Clean"
wasn't the best word, but I couldn't think of anything better, and
still can't.

it kills bacteria

spread honey on the wound, and the wound will heal quicker

what's that bit about botulism? where you can't get that from honey
(warning, do not feed honey to children under 1 yrs of age)

kate
  #8 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 19-06-2009, 05:25 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,614
Default Honey

Tiger Lily wrote:
BlueBrooke wrote:
On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 17:16:16 -0400, Peppermint Patootie
wrote:

In article ,
BlueBrooke wrote:

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 13:16:05 -0400, Peppermint Patootie
wrote:

In article ,
"Julie Bove" wrote:

"Ozgirl" wrote in message
...
Julie Bove wrote:
I looked it up and it sure looks like bee vomit to me! They
suck up the nectar into their mouths and regurgitate it.

http://www.coolquiz.com/trivia/explain/docs/honey.asp
Not from their stomachs though.
I don't care where it comes from. They're still regurgitation
it. Due to my medical problems I often throw up stuff that
never made it to my stomach.
You just don't care about facts, do you? You think what you
think, and there's no budging it.

PP
What keeps popping into my mind while watching this discussion is
the fact that honey is so clean, you can use it medicinally. I
had some kind of, for lack of a better word, lesion on my ankle
for months. Never did figure out what it was. Put a little honey
on it and it cleared up in days. I've had a jar of honey in the
top of the cupboard for years -- it doesn't mold.

If that's "bee barf" all I can say is, as prolific as my dogs are,
I wish they could produce something that useful. ;-)
Yes, honey has been used throughout history to promote healing of
wounds. I don't think it's because it's "clean," though.


Once again, I've used the wrong word and my point was lost. "Clean"
wasn't the best word, but I couldn't think of anything better, and
still can't.

it kills bacteria

spread honey on the wound, and the wound will heal quicker

what's that bit about botulism? where you can't get that from honey
(warning, do not feed honey to children under 1 yrs of age)

kate


Most commercial honey is pasteurised these days.


  #9 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 19-06-2009, 10:28 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 7,296
Default Honey

"Ozgirl" wrote:
Tiger Lily wrote:
[ . . . ]
what's that bit about botulism? where you can't get that from honey
(warning, do not feed honey to children under 1 yrs of age)


Most commercial honey is pasteurised these days.


I buy raw honey by the gallon from a beekeeper. My daughter knows not to
feed it to children under one.

--
Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ Thank a Veteran!
Support Our Troops: http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten.
Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
  #10 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 19-06-2009, 11:13 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 408
Default Honey

In article ,
Nick Cramer wrote:

"Ozgirl" wrote:
Tiger Lily wrote:
[ . . . ]
what's that bit about botulism? where you can't get that from honey
(warning, do not feed honey to children under 1 yrs of age)


Most commercial honey is pasteurised these days.


I buy raw honey by the gallon from a beekeeper. My daughter knows not to
feed it to children under one.


Yes. I buy it raw, too. It's harder to find, though.

Priscilla


  #11 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 19-06-2009, 11:23 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 7,296
Default Honey

Peppermint Patootie wrote:
Nick Cramer wrote:
"Ozgirl" wrote:
Tiger Lily wrote:
[ . . . ]
what's that bit about botulism? where you can't get that from honey
(warning, do not feed honey to children under 1 yrs of age)


Most commercial honey is pasteurised these days.


I buy raw honey by the gallon from a beekeeper. My daughter knows not
to feed it to children under one.


Yes. I buy it raw, too. It's harder to find, though.


I found the guy online by Googling. I have it shipped, even though he's
only 50 miles away. Going through a jug of Wildflower honey right now.

--
Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ Thank a Veteran!
Support Our Troops: http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten.
Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
  #12 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 20-06-2009, 01:16 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,614
Default Honey

Peppermint Patootie wrote:
In article ,
Nick Cramer wrote:

"Ozgirl" wrote:
Tiger Lily wrote:
[ . . . ]
what's that bit about botulism? where you can't get that from honey
(warning, do not feed honey to children under 1 yrs of age)


Most commercial honey is pasteurised these days.


I buy raw honey by the gallon from a beekeeper. My daughter knows
not to feed it to children under one.


Yes. I buy it raw, too. It's harder to find, though.


It may become easier as people start to cotton on to the idea of using honey
for wound healing.


  #13 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 20-06-2009, 05:00 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 7,296
Default Honey

"Ozgirl" wrote:
Peppermint Patootie wrote:
[ . . . ]
Yes. I buy it raw, too. It's harder to find, though.


It may become easier as people start to cotton on to the idea of using
honey for wound healing.


Hmmm. A 30 gm tube for $8.oo at the pharmacy?

--
Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ Thank a Veteran!
Support Our Troops: http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten.
Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
  #14 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 21-06-2009, 08:48 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 615
Default Honey

On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 23:44:58 -0700 (PDT), Ricavito
wrote:

I'm doing well overall, but not feeling up to par last two days.....
got a toothache (or an earache maybe, I dunno) and a slight fever and
my BG is high for no reason, with that horrible thirst thing.


Get well soon! And thanks for the hot-dog & dog training image

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 150ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.2% BMI 26
  #15 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 21-06-2009, 02:04 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,390
Default Honey

Ricavito wrote:
: Jeeze, I had forgotten about that. ?Karo syrup on Wonder bread (builds
: strong bones!) was the after school snack all the kids ate where I
: grew up ?::shudder:: ? That and raw hot dogs. ?omigod
:
: Cheri-

: I used to tear the crust off of Wonder bread and squeeze it into a
: ball to eat--how gross is that? But now I only eat double fiber
: bread doled out in stingy quantities, lol. Except today I made a big

Brings back memories of making balls of the soft bread(sans crust) and,
either eating them or throwing them at my big brother at the dinner table.
He is one nw and I miss him.

Thanks for the memory.

Wendy


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Honey cybercat General Cooking 33 26-06-2008 04:15 PM
How do you like your honey?- Honey Bars recipe Julia Altshuler General Cooking 0 30-01-2008 02:42 PM
Honey!....Is there a Use By Date for Honey?... Bigbazza[_7_] General Cooking 2 02-01-2008 12:22 PM
Jan: Church's Honey Biscuits with Honey Butter Duckie Recipes 0 13-05-2004 01:24 PM
Honey vias Vegan 6 09-01-2004 02:05 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:52 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2022 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"

 

Copyright © 2017