Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Regular yeast versus Rapid rise yeast

Regular yeast versus Rapid rise yeast

With rapid rise yeast, am I supposed to not let the dough (for naan)
sits 6 hours like with the regular yeast as shown in a youtube video
for naan by manjula? Then for how logn do I let it sit? What would
happen if I do?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 23, 5:38*am, Manda Ruby > wrote:
> Regular yeast versus Rapid rise yeast
>
> With rapid rise yeast, am I supposed to not let the dough (for naan)
> sits 6 hours like with the regular yeast as shown in a youtube video
> for naan by manjula? Then for how logn do I let it sit? What would
> happen if I do?

My understanding is that rapid rise yeast is really just like regular
yeast except it has a higher proportion of live cells. So you can
probably use less of it. If you use the right amount, it should still
take the same time. However, I don't go by the clock for rising time;
I just wait until the bread seems to have risen enough.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Manda Ruby wrote:

> Regular yeast versus Rapid rise yeast
>
> With rapid rise yeast, am I supposed to not let the dough (for naan)
> sits 6 hours like with the regular yeast as shown in a youtube video
> for naan by manjula? Then for how logn do I let it sit? What would
> happen if I do?

Unless the recipe states otherwise, any yeasted dough needs to do its
first rise until the dough has doubled in bulk. The amount of time that
takes depends on the recipe, the quantity of yeast and the temperature
of the room in which the dough sits. Any subsequent rises generally take
less time than the first.

Rapid rise yeasts tend to be used on breadmakers, since the cycle is so
short. But we used regular dried yeast in the breadmaker (when we had
one) and it worked just fine.