Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default instant vs. regular yeast

Bread recipe calls for instant and all I have is regular Red Star.
Can I use it and if so, in same quantity? Thanks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 22, 12:59*pm, Kalmia > wrote:
> Bread recipe calls for instant and all I have is regular Red Star.
> Can I use it and if so, in same quantity? Thanks.

Yes & yes...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"merryb" > wrote in message
On Feb 22, 12:59 pm, Kalmia > wrote:
> Bread recipe calls for instant and all I have is regular Red Star.
> Can I use it and if so, in same quantity? Thanks.

Yes & yes...

And more Yes and Yes....

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 22, 6:32*pm, "Kent" > wrote:
> "merryb" > wrote in message

> On Feb 22, 12:59 pm, Kalmia > wrote:
>
> > Bread recipe calls for instant and all I have is regular Red Star.
> > Can I use it and if so, in same quantity? Thanks.

> Yes & yes...
>
> And more Yes and Yes....

Then, I wonder why the recipes specified 'instant'.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" > wrote in message
On Feb 22, 6:32 pm, "Kent" > wrote:
> "merryb" > wrote in message

> On Feb 22, 12:59 pm, Kalmia > wrote:
>
> > Bread recipe calls for instant and all I have is regular Red Star.
> > Can I use it and if so, in same quantity? Thanks.

> Yes & yes...
>
> And more Yes and Yes....

Then, I wonder why the recipes specified 'instant'.

When this arises I just let the dough rise until it's where I want it. I
suppose this is an issue with a bread machine, though you can probably just
use more yeast. This looks like a good site:
http://www.wildyeastblog.com/2008/01...st-conversions

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 Feb 2011 12:59:02 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
> wrote:

> Bread recipe calls for instant and all I have is regular Red Star.
> Can I use it and if so, in same quantity? Thanks.

Is this a bread machine recipe?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 Feb 2011 12:59:02 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
> wrote:

>Bread recipe calls for instant and all I have is regular Red Star.
>Can I use it and if so, in same quantity? Thanks.

Instant yeast is usually added directly to the flour whereas active
dry yeast is generally dissolved in a small amount of water. I don't
remember precisely, but figure active dry yeast at 2 1/2 teaspoons per
package and instant yeast is a little less. The timings given for a
recipe with instant yeast will probably be less and there may be
actual procedural instructions that are different for instant yeast.
If you are used to making yeast dough, just use common sense and sub
the active dry yeast. I would dissolve it in a little water as I find
the active dry yeast doesn't dissolve as well when dry granules are
added directly to the dry flour/
Janet
Posted to rec.food.cooking

there is and its primarily for bread machines, also called fast acting
yeast, Lee
"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 22 Feb 2011 15:53:11 -0800 (PST), Kalmia wrote:
>
>> On Feb 22, 6:32 pm, "Kent" > wrote:

>>> Yes & yes...
>>>
>>> And more Yes and Yes....

>> Then, I wonder why the recipes specified 'instant'.

> I don't think there is anything called "instant yeast". If so it
> would be a boon to the bread and beer industries.
>
> -sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 Feb 2011 23:05:00 -0600, "Storrmmee"
> wrote:

>there is and its primarily for bread machines, also called fast acting
>yeast, Lee
>"Sqwertz" > wrote in message

>>> Then, I wonder why the recipes specified 'instant'.

>> I don't think there is anything called "instant yeast". If so it
>> would be a boon to the bread and beer industries.
>>
>> -sw

Storrmme, while it is true that bread machine recipes call for
instant yeast (or quick rise yeast), I wouldn't say bread machines are
the only intended use. There are many bread books out where the
authors specify instant yeast. Many of the authors of the most recent
bread books prefer to use only insant yeast because instant yeast
contains more live bodies than active dry and produces a quicker and
more reliable response. These days, I only expect older recipes to
call for active dry yeast.
Janet
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 22 Feb 2011 23:05:00 -0600, "Storrmmee"
> > wrote:
>
>>there is and its primarily for bread machines, also called fast acting
>>yeast, Lee

>>> I don't think there is anything called "instant yeast". If so it
>>> would be a boon to the bread and beer industries.
>>>
>>> -sw

> Storrmme, while it is true that bread machine recipes call for
> instant yeast (or quick rise yeast), I wouldn't say bread machines are
> the only intended use. There are many bread books out where the
> authors specify instant yeast. Many of the authors of the most recent
> bread books prefer to use only insant yeast because instant yeast
> contains more live bodies than active dry and produces a quicker and
> more reliable response. These days, I only expect older recipes to
> call for active dry yeast.
> Janet

Not only that but these days it seems that in most supermarkets, the only
variety available is "instant".
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz > wrote:

-snip-

>I've seen plenty of "Rapid Rise" and "Active Dry" but never "Instant".
>I do see that Red Star makes such a product. Is it synonymous with
>"Rapid Rise"?

Maybe. Here's Fleischmann's page- The only yeast my Samsclub
carries in the 1lb bricks is Fleishmann's instant.
http://www.breadworld.com/products.aspx

They don't list it there-- but say the bread machine yeast and the
Rapid Rise are 'the same as instant'. The 'instant' just means
that it can be mixed with your flour before adding moisture.

They break down the differences better here-
http://www.breadworld.com/RR_vs_ADY.aspx

I don't mix with dry ingredients, though & my bread [usually] works
fine. [never tried a bread machine-- my 'cheat' is my KA to knead it]

I 'proof' out of habit. It is satisfying to see the little bubbles
working.

Jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Feb 2011 15:53:11 -0800 (PST), Kalmia wrote:
>
>> On Feb 22, 6:32 pm, "Kent" > wrote:

>>> Yes & yes...
>>>
>>> And more Yes and Yes....

>> Then, I wonder why the recipes specified 'instant'.

> I don't think there is anything called "instant yeast". If so it
> would be a boon to the bread and beer industries.
>
> -sw

Yes and No.

According to my holy bible, "Artisan breads every day by Peter Reinhart".
On page 12. instant yeast is almost 100 percent potency. Instant yeast does
not require hydrating in warm water. The book recommends increasing the
amount by 25% for active dry yeast because 25% is killed during the
manufacturing process.

When using bread machines I often increase the amount of yeast by half. It
seems bread machines are not as flexible as by hand. However, I use my
machine for bread at least once a week. I buy the active yeast in large
jars kept in the freezer. I keep a square container for my dry goods for
bread making with small sampler jelly jars and jelly jars at room
temperature of yeast, powdered milk, salt, brown sugar and index cards for
my popular bread machine recipes. If I am in a bad mood and add extra
sugar, brown sugar, lots of brown sugar, I will double the amount of active
yeast.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 Feb 2011 22:30:41 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

>On Tue, 22 Feb 2011 23:05:00 -0600, "Storrmmee"
> wrote:
>
>>there is and its primarily for bread machines, also called fast acting
>>yeast, Lee

>>> I don't think there is anything called "instant yeast". If so it
>>> would be a boon to the bread and beer industries.
>>>
>>> -sw

>Storrmme, while it is true that bread machine recipes call for
>instant yeast (or quick rise yeast), I wouldn't say bread machines are
>the only intended use. There are many bread books out where the
>authors specify instant yeast. Many of the authors of the most recent
>bread books prefer to use only insant yeast because instant yeast
>contains more live bodies than active dry and produces a quicker and
>more reliable response. These days, I only expect older recipes to
>call for active dry yeast.

There's really no discernable difference between active and instant...
really just marketing terminology, instant/active, what's the diff?...
they are interchangeable, all reference to dry yeast is intended as
averse to cake yeast. Naturally each yeast producer will tout their
own products with all manner of glamor-speak inaccuracies merely to
addle the baking noobies. Regardless which dry yeast and how used
(especially ABMs) it's always advisable to proof yeast... failure to
proof yeast is the No. 1 reason for baking failures, especially for
ABM hocky pucks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 23 Feb 2011 01:31:55 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Tue, 22 Feb 2011 22:56:58 -0700, graham wrote:
>
>> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
>>> On Tue, 22 Feb 2011 23:05:00 -0600, "Storrmmee"

>>> Storrmme, while it is true that bread machine recipes call for
>>> instant yeast (or quick rise yeast), I wouldn't say bread machines are
>>> the only intended use. There are many bread books out where the
>>> authors specify instant yeast. Many of the authors of the most recent
>>> bread books prefer to use only insant yeast because instant yeast
>>> contains more live bodies than active dry and produces a quicker and
>>> more reliable response. These days, I only expect older recipes to
>>> call for active dry yeast.
>>> Janet
>>>

>> Not only that but these days it seems that in most supermarkets, the only
>> variety available is "instant".

>I've seen plenty of "Rapid Rise" and "Active Dry" but never "Instant".
>I do see that Red Star makes such a product. Is it synonymous with
>"Rapid Rise"?
>
>-sw

All dry yeast is Rapid, Active, and Instant... all marketing terms
that sound more beliveable/professional than Super Dooper Fast. I
still remember when there was only cake yeast... took a long time and
was very difficult to get folks to make the switch.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 23 Feb 2011 12:42:39 +0000 (UTC), Nad R
> wrote:

> Sqwertz > wrote:
> >
> > I don't think there is anything called "instant yeast". If so it
> > would be a boon to the bread and beer industries.
> >
> > -sw

> Yes and No.

Everyone *except* Steve was on the same page.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 22, 3:59*pm, Kalmia > wrote:
> Bread recipe calls for instant and all I have is regular Red Star.
> Can I use it and if so, in same quantity? Thanks.

Update: I used the Red Star and the bread came out fine.
The recipe called for baking it in a cast iron Dutch oven, but I used
an old Corningware Cornflower cass, over 40 years old.

It was that no knead recipe from Cooks Illy, which tells the cook to
let it rise 8-18 hours. Def. a thing to start the night before.
Called for 3 T beer too - durn, I had to buy a six pack or else drive
to a convenience store and sneak out with that little brown bag and
one can of Bud.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 22, 10:52*pm, I_am_Tosk >
wrote:
> In article >,
> says...
>

> > On Tue, 22 Feb 2011 12:59:02 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
> > > wrote:

> > > Bread recipe calls for instant and all I have is regular Red Star.
> > > Can I use it and if so, in same quantity? Thanks.

> > Is this a bread machine recipe?

> Assuming you are using a bread machine? Our bread machine makes small
> bricks of dough if you don't use the correct bread machine flour, or
> quick rise flour. I am not positive yours doesn't have adjustments but
> for what it's worth we have tried regular flour several times. Tried to
> adjust water and yeast, etc. but just keep getting a small heavy brick
> of yuck...

This is not an ABM recipe. But, as to bread flour, I use King Arthus
and add 1 T. gluten to a cup of KA and it works fine. I use the
cheapo flour for non-bread stuff. It prob. doesn't save more than a
dime a recipe but........well, I've never really priced it out.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I_am_Tosk > wrote:
> In article <7fd71319-e00f-4f0b-b990-
> >,
> says...
>>
>> On Feb 22, 10:52 pm, I_am_Tosk >
>> wrote:
>>> In article >,
>>> says...

>>> Assuming you are using a bread machine? Our bread machine makes small
>>> bricks of dough if you don't use the correct bread machine flour, or
>>> quick rise flour. I am not positive yours doesn't have adjustments but
>>> for what it's worth we have tried regular flour several times. Tried to
>>> adjust water and yeast, etc. but just keep getting a small heavy brick
>>> of yuck...

>> This is not an ABM recipe. But, as to bread flour, I use King Arthus
>> and add 1 T. gluten to a cup of KA and it works fine. I use the
>> cheapo flour for non-bread stuff. It prob. doesn't save more than a
>> dime a recipe but........well, I've never really priced it out.

> Our breads are still a bit "heavy". Does the extra gluten give it that
> nice fluffy store bought texture?

I use KIng Arthur flour in my machine and bread comes out just fine.
EXCEPTION: I will say my bread machine cannot make 100% whole wheat bread,
that come out like a brick. I can mix half KA whole wheat and half white KA
flour and set my machine for multigrain and it comes out nicely without
added gluten.