Old 06-09-2009, 03:51 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default My new favorite mixed drink

Half orange juice, half club soda, on ice. Alternatively, half "light"
cranberry juice with club soda. I tried the cranberry/pomegranate "light"
and that was good, too. Sort of like drinking a soda but probably healthier.
Is club soda as bad as other sodas?

Old 06-09-2009, 04:08 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 5, 9:51*pm, "Cheryl" wrote:
Half orange juice, half club soda, on ice. *Alternatively, half "light"
cranberry juice with club soda. *I tried the cranberry/pomegranate "light"
and that was good, too. Sort of like drinking a soda but probably healthier.
Is club soda as bad as other sodas?

Check the label to see how much sodium you're getting in the club
soda. Since it has no sugar or other sweetener in it, I've always
seen it designated as a "free" beverage. Seltzer (if I remember
right) has no sugar or sodium, just carbon dioxide -- but these days I
think you have to have a permit for the CO2 !
Lynn in Fargo
Old 06-09-2009, 04:37 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" wrote in message
Half orange juice, half club soda, on ice.

Add a big scoop of vanilla ice cream to make an orange creamsicle.

Alternatively, half "light"
cranberry juice with club soda. I tried the cranberry/pomegranate "light"
and that was good, too. Sort of like drinking a soda but probably
healthier. Is club soda as bad as other sodas?

Not sure what you mean by "bad"... club soda contains added salt, seltza
does not.

Old 06-09-2009, 04:38 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 5 Sep 2009 22:51:02 -0400, Cheryl wrote:

Is club soda as bad as other sodas?

You're joking, right?

-sw
Old 06-09-2009, 04:40 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig" wrote in message
On Sep 5, 9:51 pm, "Cheryl" wrote:
Half orange juice, half club soda, on ice. Alternatively, half "light"
cranberry juice with club soda. I tried the cranberry/pomegranate "light"
and that was good, too. Sort of like drinking a soda but probably
healthier.
Is club soda as bad as other sodas?

Check the label to see how much sodium you're getting in the club
soda. Since it has no sugar or other sweetener in it, I've always
seen it designated as a "free" beverage. Seltzer (if I remember
right) has no sugar or sodium, just carbon dioxide -- but these days I
think you have to have a permit for the CO2 !

Under obamination care you will need a permit to fart, and your farts will
be rationed, and spread around! LOL

Old 06-09-2009, 04:54 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 06 Sep 2009 03:37:55 GMT, brooklyn1 wrote:

Not sure what you mean by "bad"... club soda contains added salt, seltza
does not.

The salt in club soda, if any, is negligible. Many club sodas don't
have any sodium, and those that do have about 70-75mg per serving.
Which is 1/36th of the USRDA of sodium (or 1/100th of the average
salt intake of the average American per day). It's not exactly a
Campbell's soup.

-sw
Old 06-09-2009, 08:00 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" wrote in message
Half orange juice, half club soda, on ice. Alternatively, half "light"
cranberry juice with club soda. I tried the cranberry/pomegranate "light"
and that was good, too. Sort of like drinking a soda but probably
healthier. Is club soda as bad as other sodas?

Yes. So you should add vodka.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" wrote in message
Half orange juice, half club soda, on ice. Alternatively, half "light"
cranberry juice with club soda. I tried the cranberry/pomegranate "light"
and that was good, too. Sort of like drinking a soda but probably
healthier. Is club soda as bad as other sodas?

One of my favorites is half OJ and half diet Sprite. Kind of like a poor
man's Mimosa.

George L

Old 06-09-2009, 04:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 6 Sep 2009 07:48:01 -0500, George Leppla wrote:

"Cheryl" wrote in message
Half orange juice, half club soda, on ice. Alternatively, half "light"
cranberry juice with club soda. I tried the cranberry/pomegranate "light"
and that was good, too. Sort of like drinking a soda but probably
healthier. Is club soda as bad as other sodas?

One of my favorites is half OJ and half diet Sprite. Kind of like a poor
man's Mimosa.

You could make it authentic by using grape soda instead. (Hmmm..
what color does orange and purple make?)

-sw
Old 06-09-2009, 04:25 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote:
Half orange juice, half club soda, on ice. Alternatively, half "light"
cranberry juice with club soda. I tried the cranberry/pomegranate
"light" and that was good, too. Sort of like drinking a soda but
probably healthier. Is club soda as bad as other sodas?

Cheryl, there are no/low sodium and no sugar club sodas to be found. My
market even has them under the store label, rather than a national
brand, and can often be found for a buck a piece (litre bottles).

TammyM, LOVES club soda with pomegranate/blueberry juice

Old 06-09-2009, 05:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

TammyM wrote in message
[snip]
TammyM, LOVES club soda with pomegranate/blueberry juice

You are very, very strange lady!

The Ranger

Old 06-09-2009, 05:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
On Sun, 06 Sep 2009 03:37:55 GMT, brooklyn1 wrote:

Not sure what you mean by "bad"... club soda contains added salt, seltza
does not.

The salt in club soda, if any, is negligible. Many club sodas don't
have any sodium, and those that do have about 70-75mg per serving.
Which is 1/36th of the USRDA of sodium (or 1/100th of the average
salt intake of the average American per day). It's not exactly a
Campbell's soup.

As I said, I don't know what the poster means by bad. That club soda
contains a small amount of sodium bicarbonate is all I could offer that
makes it different from plain carbonated water (seltza). I've never seen
club soda that doesn't contain sodium bicarbonate, it may exist and be
labeled as such but then it's not club soda, then it's simply carbonated
water. I still don't know what the OP means by "bad"... to me club soda is
bad if it doesn't contain any booze. My default non alcoholic sparking
beverage is diet black cherry soda... I used to drink diet code red too but
around here all I can find is the regular and it's too sugar laden for me.
I've asked the local store manager if he'd order it, said he'd look into it,
so far after more then five years and as many requests I don't see it. Code
Red with its lurid food coloring is probably bad.

http://mountaindew.com/#/brands/

Old 06-09-2009, 06:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"TammyM" wrote in message
Cheryl wrote:
Half orange juice, half club soda, on ice. Alternatively, half "light"
cranberry juice with club soda. I tried the cranberry/pomegranate
"light" and that was good, too. Sort of like drinking a soda but probably
healthier. Is club soda as bad as other sodas?

Cheryl, there are no/low sodium and no sugar club sodas to be found. My
market even has them under the store label, rather than a national brand,
and can often be found for a buck a piece (litre bottles).

TammyM, LOVES club soda with pomegranate/blueberry juice

Club soda does not have sugar! Tonic does.

Old 06-09-2009, 06:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 06 Sep 2009 08:25:22 -0700, TammyM wrote:

Cheryl, there are no/low sodium and no sugar club sodas to be found. My
market even has them under the store label, rather than a national
brand, and can often be found for a buck a piece (litre bottles).

Our store brand Club Soda is just carbonated water as well. It's
$.59/L every day.

Speakig of which - do they still make Seagram's Collins Mixer (or
was it Canada Dry?) I used to drink that as soda. It's light on
the sweetness.

-sw
Old 06-09-2009, 06:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"brooklyn1" wrote in message
news

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
On Sun, 06 Sep 2009 03:37:55 GMT, brooklyn1 wrote:

Not sure what you mean by "bad"... club soda contains added salt, seltza
does not.

The salt in club soda, if any, is negligible. Many club sodas don't
have any sodium, and those that do have about 70-75mg per serving.
Which is 1/36th of the USRDA of sodium (or 1/100th of the average
salt intake of the average American per day). It's not exactly a
Campbell's soup.

As I said, I don't know what the poster means by bad.

By "bad for you" I just wondered if it was high in sodium as I'd heard, and
obviously without the sugar, it isn't high in carbs like non diet soda is.
So, I got my answer, that it isn't "bad".

Looking for mixed drink recipe website Grim General 1 26-02-2010 04:14 PM
New mixed beer drink tomkanpa Beer 3 15-10-2008 05:47 PM
Beer/mixed drink recipes jimday1982 Beer 0 15-11-2004 05:49 PM
Mixed drink recipes Steve Chaney, aka NR's Tormentee General Cooking 4 24-11-2003 08:34 AM
Mixed drink recipes Steve Chaney, aka NR's Tormentee Recipes 3 24-11-2003 08:34 AM