Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default ? recipe using mushrooms and dark chicken (please don't call them"schrooms")

I've got a pound of button mushrooms that I bought on sale (for 50¢ per
half-pound carton, I couldn't afford *not* to buy them.) And I'm
thawing out a couple of chicken leg quarters. What's a good way to cook
them? Without adding any bacon.

Something cream based? Or tomato and red wine based? Maybe tomatoes
*and* cream, and white wine? There's probably a classic dish that I'm
overlooking. Thanks.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> I've got a pound of button mushrooms that I bought on sale (for 50¢ per
> half-pound carton, I couldn't afford *not* to buy them.) And I'm thawing
> out a couple of chicken leg quarters. What's a good way to cook them?
> Without adding any bacon.
>
> Something cream based? Or tomato and red wine based? Maybe tomatoes
> *and* cream, and white wine? There's probably a classic dish that I'm
> overlooking. Thanks.

Well, use a little tiny cubed bacon.
Sear the legs together with the bacon. Remove from pot.
Insert chopped onion. Let it get glassy. Add the mushrooms and roast
a little until they stop losing too much water.
Deglace with white wine, add chicken again, add chopped
parsley (and maybe pressed garlic) and chicken stock.
Season with salt and pepper.
Let it simmer on low heat until chicken is done; add stock if needed.
Serve with baguette.

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote on Sat, 23 May 2009 15:06:56 -0500:

> Something cream based? Or tomato and red wine based? Maybe
> tomatoes *and* cream, and white wine? There's probably a
> classic dish that I'm overlooking. Thanks.

I'll go along with the request in the subject. I detest the word
"shroom"!
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 23, 1:06*pm, zxcvbob > wrote:
> I've got a pound of button mushrooms that I bought on sale (for 50¢ per
> half-pound carton, I couldn't afford *not* to buy them.) *And I'm
> thawing out a couple of chicken leg quarters. *What's a good way to cook
> them? *Without adding any bacon.
>
> Something cream based? *Or tomato and red wine based? *Maybe tomatoes
> *and* cream, and white wine? *There's probably a classic dish that I'm
> overlooking. *Thanks.

The recipe already posted would do fine. Another approach would be to
cook the chicken separately from a mushroom cream sauce and combine at
the end:

1. Shake chicken with seasoned flour, brown nicely in skillet,
place in baking dish (optional: with a little chicken stock) and cook
in moderate oven until done.
2. Some 15 minutes or so before chicken is done, saute onions and
mushrooms in oil and butter, finish with cream and sour cream.

Personally, I wouldn't go the tomato-ish route if I wanted to
emphasize the mushrooms. I very well might flavor the mushrooms with
a splash of Madeira or Marsala. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 May 2009 13:50:19 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

>I very well might flavor the mushrooms with
>a splash of Madeira or Marsala.

Dry sherry is my go to spirit for chicken (mushrooms too), but I was
just thinking about port when you came up with madeira/marsala.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> I've got a pound of button mushrooms that I bought on sale (for 50¢ per
> half-pound carton, I couldn't afford *not* to buy them.) And I'm thawing
> out a couple of chicken leg quarters. What's a good way to cook them?
> Without adding any bacon.
>
> Something cream based? Or tomato and red wine based? Maybe tomatoes
> *and* cream, and white wine? There's probably a classic dish that I'm
> overlooking. Thanks.
>
> Bob

I'd brown the chicken and set aside. I'd then add some sliced (or chopped)
onions and let them start to brown, add the mushrooms, a little stock, some
sherry, and put the chicken back in the pan. Put the pan in a 350 or so
oven until the chicken is done.

If you want it richer, remove the chicken to a serving plate, put the pan
back on the burner and stir in sour cream. Pour over the chicken and serve.
You could probably add a little tomato or Dijon mustard, but don't overdo
it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob > wrote:

> I've got a pound of button mushrooms that I bought on sale (for 50¢ per
> half-pound carton, I couldn't afford *not* to buy them.) And I'm
> thawing out a couple of chicken leg quarters. What's a good way to cook
> them? Without adding any bacon.

How about a coq au vin (blanc for preference)? Here is a Riesling
version based on the one in _Die Weinstuben des Elsaß_ by Wolfram
Siebeck. The Riesling in question is obviously a dry Alsatian one. It
can be replaced by another dry white wine.

Another suggestion is a fricassée with mushrooms. Below is a nice
recipe from _Bistro Cooking_ by Patricia Wells. I'd think of adding an
onion, though.

Coq au Riesling

1 chicken (ideally cockerel) weighing 1.5 to 2 kg (3.3 to 4.4 lb)
2 cl (0.7 fl. oz) Cognac
1/4 l (1.1 cups) Riesling
50 g (1.8 oz) butter
some oil
1 cup defatted chicken stock
1 bouquet garni
30 g (1.1 oz) shallots, finely chopped
1 dl (0.4 cups) crème fraîche
150 g (0.7 oz) champignons (button mushrooms), finely chopped
nutmeg
marjoram
parsley
1 garlic clove
salt and pepper

Joint the chicken and fry the pieces in a mix of butter and oil until
golden brown, add the shallots and fry until golden, too. Skim off the
fat, add Cognac and light it. Pour in the Riesling and the stock. Add
the bouquet garni and cook for 30-40 minutes. Take out the chicken
pieces and reduce the sauce to two-thirds. Add crème fraîche and heat
through.
Now strain the sauce, work in the butter, add the champignons and cook
for 1 minute.
Serve with noodles.

Fricassée de Poulet aux Champignons Chez Rose
Chez Rose's Chicken Fricassée with Mushrooms

6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 chicken (about 2 1/2 pounds; 1.25 kg), well-rinsed, patted dry, cut
into 8 serving pieces, at room temperature
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 pound (500 g) fresh mushrooms, washed, trimmed, patted dry; caps
separated from stems, caps halved or quartered if large
1 large can (28 ounces; 794 g) imported plum tomatoes, well drained,
halved
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish

1. Heat 3 tablespoons of the oil in a large, heavy nonreactive skillet
over medium heat until hot but not smoking. Add the garlic; reduce the
heat to low. Sauté the garlic, stirring frequently, until soft but not
browned, about 2 minutes.

2. Lightly dredge the chicken pieces with the flour. Increase the heat
under the skillet to medium. Add the chicken pieces. (If you do not
have a skillet large enough to hold all of the chicken pieces in a
single layer, sauté the chicken in 2 batches.) Sauté until well browned
on both sides, about 20 minutes. Carefully regulate the heat to avoid
scorching the skin.

3. Meanwhile, heat the remaining 3 tablespoons of oil in a separate
skillet over medium heat until hot but not smoking. Add the mushroom
caps and stems; sauté, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, 5
to 6 minutes.

4. When the chicken is browned, stir in the tomatoes and mushrooms;
season with salt and pepper. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook the
chicken, covered, for 20 minutes. Uncover and cook for another 10
minutes, or until the chicken is tender.

5. To serve, arrange the chicken pieces on a warmed platter. Ladle the
sauce and vegetables over all. Garnish with parsley and serve
immediately.

Yield: 4 servings

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 23, 1:06*pm, zxcvbob > wrote:

> I've got a pound of button mushrooms that I bought on sale
> (for 50¢ per > half-pound carton, I couldn't afford *not*
> to buy them.) *And I'm > thawing out a couple of chicken leg
> quarters. *What's a good way to cook > them? *Without adding
> any bacon.

Chicken cacciatore. Brown the chicken legs, slice the mushrooms
approximately in half and add, add other ingredients if you have them
(garlic, onion, green peppers, tomatoes), add a little olive,
red pepper, oregano, and a little salt, and bake until done.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:
> I've got a pound of button mushrooms that I bought on sale (for 50¢ per
> half-pound carton, I couldn't afford *not* to buy them.) And I'm
> thawing out a couple of chicken leg quarters. What's a good way to cook
> them? Without adding any bacon.
>
> Something cream based? Or tomato and red wine based? Maybe tomatoes
> *and* cream, and white wine? There's probably a classic dish that I'm
> overlooking. Thanks.
>
> Bob

Poulet saute aux champignons

Season, flour and shallow fry the pieces of chicken in clarified butter.

Arrange in a circle on a dish, surround with sautŽed sliced mushrooms
and coat with a thin sauce champignons.

Sauce Champignons

For a simple mushroom sauce, cook 8 oz (225 g) of sliced mushrooms in 1
oz (30 g) of butter and add it to BŽchamel sauce, season and serve.

Simple mushroom sauce

Ingredients

6 oz of thinly sliced mushrooms
1/2 pint of milk
1/2 oz of butter
1 heaped tbsp of flour
olive oil
salt and pepper

Method

1. Heat a little olive oil and melt the butter in it.
2. Add the mushrooms and sautŽ until the mushrooms are soft and dark in
colour.
3. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside.
4. Add the flour and pour in the milk.
5. Mix the ingredients together, stirring continuously.
6. Return the pan to a medium heat and cook the sauce, stirring
constantly until it thickens.
7. Season with salt and pepper and cook for 5 - 8 minutes.
8. Serve hot.

Mushroom Sauce

Ingredients

1 lb 2oz (500 g) of finely chopped mushrooms
3 finely chopped shallots
7 fl oz (200 ml) of cream
4 & 1/2 fl oz (125 ml) of white wine
1 oz (30 g) of butter
1 crushed garlic clove
pinch of nutmeg
salt and pepper

Method

1. Melt the butter over a gentle heat in a medium sized saucepan.
2. Add the chopped shallots and fry for 3 - 4 minutes.
3. Add the garlic and fry for another 2 minutes.
4. Add the chopped mushrooms and season with salt and pepper.
5. Stir all of the ingredients together and cook until the mushrooms
have softened and darkened in colour.
6. Turn the heat up on the stove and pour in the white wine.
7. Stir the ingredients and cook until the wine had reduced by two-thirds.
8. Turn the heat down and stir in the cream and nutmeg.
9. Serve hot.
--
JL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> I've got a pound of button mushrooms that I bought on sale (for 50¢ per
> half-pound carton, I couldn't afford *not* to buy them.) And I'm
> thawing out a couple of chicken leg quarters. What's a good way to cook
> them? Without adding any bacon.
>
> Something cream based? Or tomato and red wine based? Maybe tomatoes
> *and* cream, and white wine? There's probably a classic dish that I'm
> overlooking. Thanks.
>
> Bob

I'd debone the chicken and cube it, then slice the mushrooms along with
some onion and cook that up into a brown gravy, and serve it over rice.
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> I've got a pound of button mushrooms that I bought on sale (for 50¢ per
> half-pound carton, I couldn't afford *not* to buy them.) And I'm thawing
> out a couple of chicken leg quarters. What's a good way to cook them?
> Without adding any bacon.
>
> Something cream based? Or tomato and red wine based? Maybe tomatoes
> *and* cream, and white wine? There's probably a classic dish that I'm
> overlooking. Thanks.

Debone the chicken and make some kabobs with chicken, mushrooms and whatever
else you have on hand that would go with it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> I've got a pound of button mushrooms that I bought on sale (for 50¢ per
> half-pound carton, I couldn't afford *not* to buy them.) And I'm
> thawing out a couple of chicken leg quarters. What's a good way to cook
> them? Without adding any bacon.
>
> Something cream based? Or tomato and red wine based? Maybe tomatoes
> *and* cream, and white wine? There's probably a classic dish that I'm
> overlooking. Thanks.
>
> Bob

I'm thinkin' along the lines of Faux Chicken Cacciatore. That oughtta
keep ol' Bubba Wictor up at night.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - good news 4-6-2009
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:

> Something cream based? Or tomato and red wine based? Maybe tomatoes
> *and* cream, and white wine? There's probably a classic dish that I'm
> overlooking. Thanks.

Julia Child had a recipe she called Company Chicken. The closest
I can find is a description for Sauteed Chicken with Mushrooms and
Cream, but the directions are really sketchy. From The Way to Cook.
The first line of the directions is While the chicken is cooking.

At any rate, it involved using chicken thighs and was a delicious dish.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" wrote

> I've got a pound of button mushrooms that I bought on sale (for 50¢ per
> half-pound carton, I couldn't afford *not* to buy them.) And I'm thawing
> out a couple of chicken leg quarters. What's a good way to cook them?
> Without adding any bacon.
>
> Something cream based? Or tomato and red wine based? Maybe tomatoes
> *and* cream, and white wine? There's probably a classic dish that I'm
> overlooking. Thanks.

Hi Bob! I saw lots of ideas for a sort of french / wine treatment as well
as American 'Catchatoree' (sp). You may find a Chicken Burgoo fits the
tomato line if thats what you feel like today.

I didnt see any 'asian' treatment ideas so will offer one of those up.

Defrost the leg quarters. Detach leg from thigh (not required, but they
would and i would so there is more surface to soak in the seasoning).
Remove any skin that comes off easy. Debone if you want authentic but will
taste just as good if you don't.

Mix 1/3 cup Jufran Bannana sauce (or thai sweet hot chile sauce such as Mae
Ploy) with 1/4 cup soy sauce and 1/4 cup chicken broth. May add 1/8 TS
roasted sesame oil. Add 2 TB vinegar (I would go for the Datu Puti spiced
one with chiles in the bottle but you could use just about any wine, rice,
or plain one. Apple might work too). Marinade your meat in this for about
one hour. (can do less if you deboned it).

Got any handy greens such as spinach etc? Steam them as a good side to
this. Start a batch of plain white rice.

Preheat a heavy pan (cast iron would be good but anything thick bottomed
will work. Note, this is NOT a wok recipe). Add chicken and it's marinade
to the hot pan and cover. Cook on medium heat until it bubbles then reduce
to low. Stir occasionally. Check meat for your preferred level of done
(This one is normally served still a bit pink at the bone). When it's
almost there, add your mushrooms and you may need to add another 1/4 cup
chicken stock. If you have part of a leftover fresh tomato or a few cherry
tomatoes, chop rough then add at this stage.

Serve with or over rice with the greens at the side.