Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Easy clam pasta today

Here you can find jarred clams almost in every store, so today I bougth a
0.2 quart jar and did a clam pasta sauce for three.
I started with 5 table spoons of EVO oil with 3 small fresh garlic cloves,
let it fry very gently for 2 or 3 minutes and added a pincho of salt and the
drained clams and let it go slow for about 4 or 5 minutes, then half a cup
of tomato sauce and let it go another 2 or 3 minutes, then removed from heat
and added freshly ground black and white pepper and some parsley leaves.
As pasta was cooked, "maccheroni al pettine" today, I rinsed the pasta and
tossed it on high heat with the sauce for a minute or less.
Nice stupidmarket recipe.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Vilco said...

> Here you can find jarred clams almost in every store, so today I bougth
> a 0.2 quart jar and did a clam pasta sauce for three.
> I started with 5 table spoons of EVO oil with 3 small fresh garlic
> cloves, let it fry very gently for 2 or 3 minutes and added a pincho of
> salt and the drained clams and let it go slow for about 4 or 5 minutes,
> then half a cup of tomato sauce and let it go another 2 or 3 minutes,
> then removed from heat and added freshly ground black and white pepper
> and some parsley leaves. As pasta was cooked, "maccheroni al pettine"
> today, I rinsed the pasta and tossed it on high heat with the sauce for
> a minute or less. Nice stupidmarket recipe.

Vilco,

I love clam and garlic spaghetti. Not with the tomato sauce included,
sadly.

Put me down as three people!?? :9

Best,

Andy
--
Eat first, talk later.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Vilco" > wrote in message
. ..
> Here you can find jarred clams almost in every store, so today I bougth a
> 0.2 quart jar and did a clam pasta sauce for three.
> I started with 5 table spoons of EVO oil with 3 small fresh garlic cloves,
> let it fry very gently for 2 or 3 minutes and added a pincho of salt and
> the
> drained clams and let it go slow for about 4 or 5 minutes, then half a cup
> of tomato sauce and let it go another 2 or 3 minutes,

I'm not familiar with jarred clams... I know tinned and fresh. Are your
jarred clams raw or cooked? And why did you discard the clam juice,
shellfish liquor contains most of the flavor. I don't care for red clam
sauce unless made with fresh clams. With tinned clams I prefer a white clam
sauce. Of course here in the eastern US we have flash frozen shucked clams
(whole and minced), excellent for any clam dish.

http://www.nyseafood.org/members/doxsee/default.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy said...

> I love clam and garlic spaghetti. Not with the tomato sauce included,
> sadly.

What I meant to say is I'm sad I have never tried it that way.

Oops!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 02 May 2009 10:41:51 -0500, Andy > wrote:

>Andy said...
>
>> I love clam and garlic spaghetti. Not with the tomato sauce included,
>> sadly.

>What I meant to say is I'm sad I have never tried it that way.
>
>Oops!

At first I thought the tomato sauce would overwhelm the clams, then I
realized it was only 1/2 cup - so it's more like a pasta tint.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
bob bob is offline

On Sat, 2 May 2009 17:03:45 +0200, "Vilco" >
shouted from the highest rooftop:

>Here you can find jarred clams almost in every store, so today I bougth a
>0.2 quart jar and did a clam pasta sauce for three.

Thank you. Looks like a recipe I'll be trying out soon. Unfortunately,
my wife doesn't get along with clams (or mussels), so either I'll have
to eat it all myself or invite a very small person to share it with
me. <g>

--

una cerveza mas por favor ...

Wax-up and drop-in of Surfing's Golden Years: <http://www.surfwriter.net>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Vilco > wrote:

> As pasta was cooked, "maccheroni al pettine" today, I rinsed the pasta and
> tossed it on high heat with the sauce for a minute or less.

Why rinse the pasta? Is this your personal preference?

It is generally held that rinsing chills the pasta and removes the
coating starch that helps the sauce cling to the pasta.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

>> I love clam and garlic spaghetti. Not with the tomato sauce included,
>> sadly.

> What I meant to say is I'm sad I have never tried it that way.
>
> Oops!

I like clam sauce both ways, and if I had to say which one I prefer I
wouldn't know what to say

Posted to rec.food.cooking

brooklyn1 wrote:

> I'm not familiar with jarred clams... I know tinned and fresh. Are
> your jarred clams raw or cooked? And why did you discard the clam
> juice, shellfish liquor contains most of the flavor.

They're raw and the water wasn't necessary for the humidity of the sauce,
otherwise I'd have used it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Victor Sack wrote:

>> As pasta was cooked, "maccheroni al pettine" today, I rinsed the
>> pasta and tossed it on high heat with the sauce for a minute or less.

> Why rinse the pasta? Is this your personal preference?

Correct me if "rinse" is not the right word: I simply meant to drop it in
one of those pots with many holes in them so that the water falls under the
pasta and then soon add pasta to the sauce pan.

> It is generally held that rinsing chills the pasta and removes the
> coating starch that helps the sauce cling to the pasta.

Yes, I used the wrong word. I meant "drain"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Vilco > wrote:

> Yes, I used the wrong word. I meant "drain"

All's cleared now. Thank you.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking
bob bob is offline

On Sat, 02 May 2009 15:39:41 GMT, "brooklyn1"
> shouted from the highest rooftop:

> Of course here in the eastern US we have flash frozen shucked clams
>(whole and minced), excellent for any clam dish.

We have whole free-flow clam meat in New Zealand and that's what I use
for my pasta with clams & salsa.

--

una cerveza mas por favor ...

Wax-up and drop-in of Surfing's Golden Years: <http://www.surfwriter.net>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 2, 11:03 am, "Vilco" > wrote:
> Here you can find jarred clams almost in every store, so today I bougth a
> 0.2 quart jar and did a clam pasta sauce for three.
> I started with 5 table spoons of EVO oil with 3 small fresh garlic cloves,
> let it fry very gently for 2 or 3 minutes and added a pincho of salt and the
> drained clams and let it go slow for about 4 or 5 minutes, then half a cup
> of tomato sauce and let it go another 2 or 3 minutes, then removed from heat
> and added freshly ground black and white pepper and some parsley leaves.
> As pasta was cooked, "maccheroni al pettine" today, I rinsed the pasta and
> tossed it on high heat with the sauce for a minute or less.
> Nice stupidmarket recipe.

I bought some of those at the Eurospin and was disappointed. My Coop
always has vongole veracce, so I went back to that. I do NOT use any
tomato, however, as I prefer lots of oil, garlic and the clam
juices.
I have noticed at my local dive that while most pasta orders seem a
logical quantity, the plates of clam pasta served on Friday are
veritable Vesuvius mountains. I wonder why that is?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:

> I bought some of those at the Eurospin and was disappointed. My Coop
> always has vongole veracce, so I went back to that. I do NOT use any
> tomato, however, as I prefer lots of oil, garlic and the clam
> juices.
> I have noticed at my local dive that while most pasta orders seem a
> logical quantity, the plates of clam pasta served on Friday are
> veritable Vesuvius mountains. I wonder why that is?

I would guess because those Catholics who don't eat meat on Friday will
be making a whole meal of it rather than a starter?

Serene

--
42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue is here!
http://42magazine.com

"But here's a handy hint: if your fabulous theory for ending war and
all other human conflict will not survive an online argument with
humourless feminists who are not afraid to throw rape around as an
example, your theory needs work." -- Aqua, alt.polyamory
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 13, 1:45 am, Serene Vannoy > wrote:
> Giusi wrote:
> > I bought some of those at the Eurospin and was disappointed. My Coop
> > always has vongole veracce, so I went back to that. I do NOT use any
> > tomato, however, as I prefer lots of oil, garlic and the clam
> > juices.
> > I have noticed at my local dive that while most pasta orders seem a
> > logical quantity, the plates of clam pasta served on Friday are
> > veritable Vesuvius mountains. I wonder why that is?

> I would guess because those Catholics who don't eat meat on Friday will
> be making a whole meal of it rather than a starter?
>
> Serene

Maybe, but on Friday the whole menu is fishy, and the other pastas
aren't so big. I'll have to ask why.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:

> I have noticed at my local dive that while most pasta orders seem a
> logical quantity, the plates of clam pasta served on Friday are
> veritable Vesuvius mountains. I wonder why that is?

Are the clam shells in the dish? They'd add a lot of inedible volume.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking
bob bob is offline

On Thu, 14 May 2009 20:26:51 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> shouted from the highest rooftop:

>Giusi wrote:
>
>> I have noticed at my local dive that while most pasta orders seem a
>> logical quantity, the plates of clam pasta served on Friday are
>> veritable Vesuvius mountains. I wonder why that is?

>Are the clam shells in the dish? They'd add a lot of inedible volume.
>
>Bob

You should see what pasta with mussels in the shell looks like.

Fortunately, you're provided with a bowl to put the empty shells into
- as well as a finger bowl because there's no way you can prise out
the meat without holding the shell with your fingers.

Once you've eaten the pasta, you're left with the most beautiful
combination of salsa mixed with mussel juice in the bottom of your
bowl just waiting to be scooped up and enjoyed with pieces of bread.

Time for dinner.

--

una cerveza mas por favor ...

Wax-up and drop-in of Surfing's Golden Years: <http://www.surfwriter.net>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Giusi wrote:
>
>> I have noticed at my local dive that while most pasta orders seem a
>> logical quantity, the plates of clam pasta served on Friday are
>> veritable Vesuvius mountains. I wonder why that is?

> Are the clam shells in the dish? They'd add a lot of inedible volume.
>
> Bob

Always, but they are smaller than an inch so it isn't that much.