Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Messin' with the bees

Last week we discovered not one, but two small swarms of bees in an
oak tree in our side yard. It took some phone calls to the county
extension service and then to a couple of bee guys, but Thursday
evening Don, a bee wrangler from the county seat, showed up to take
care of them for us. D had a work gig that evening, so it was I who
witnessed bee wrangling first hand.

Don hauled a beehive box up our ladder and perched it on the little
paint-bucket shelf. He bent the branch the swarm was on near the open
top and -- WHACK! He rapped the branch sharply on the box, and the
bees plopped inside. Back on the ground, he put the top on.

Some of the bees still wanted back on the branch (apparently they
could smell the queen's scent there), so we eventually had to lop the
branch off to discourage them. Don took the other swarm with him in a
catch box: payment for his services. Next day the bees were still in
our new hive, so it looked like they'd determined to stay.

The plan was to move them to the community garden at a later date. But
this morning we had a lot of rain, and the hive was in a low spot in
the yard. I didn't go out there, but I'm pretty sure the bottom of
the hive had water in it at least some of the day. So after I figured
the bees had gone to bed this evening I moved the hive to the garden.

That's not something I ever thought I'd say. I moved a beehive.
Across town. Tonight.

I stuffed a towel into the slot the bees use to get in and out of the
hive, borrowed a friend's pickup, and called another garden guy for
help. "Okay, I'll help move it, but I'm allergic."

Great. "Allergic like you go into anaphylactic shock if you're
stung?"

"No, but I get really sick."

I suggested that he only watch and advise, and he agreed.

I hoisted the hive onto the truck bed and laid a couple of hammers on
the towel to keep it steady. Off to the garden I went. Ole modom,
haulin' bees. Bee haulin' man, listening to Hank Williams on the
radio, truckin' bees to the vegetable patch. Just like he knew what
he was doing, which he didn't.

My allergic help followed in his car. Then as night started falling
for real, we decided where the bees should be (not too close to
gardeners) and I heaved the hive off the truck and set it in place.

I wonder if the bees are still there? I saw one enter the hive
tonight before the move, but if it got unpleasant enough in there this
morning, I could see them deciding to relocate after the storm.

We'll know tomorrow.
--

modom
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"modom (palindrome guy)" > wrote:

> I wonder if the bees are still there? I saw one enter the hive
> tonight before the move, but if it got unpleasant enough in there this
> morning, I could see them deciding to relocate after the storm.
>
> We'll know tomorrow.
> --
>
> modom

Sounds like a real adventure. :-)

My Brother in Law wants to start a bee hive in my back yard.
I plan to fence off the area that he can use with a gate. It's a high
spot in the yard so it won't flood, and it'll be beeneficial for any
gardening that I plan to do.
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

modom (palindrome guy) wrote:
> Last week we discovered not one, but two small swarms of bees in an
> oak tree in our side yard. It took some phone calls to the county
> extension service and then to a couple of bee guys, but Thursday
> evening Don, a bee wrangler from the county seat, showed up to take
> care of them for us. D had a work gig that evening, so it was I who
> witnessed bee wrangling first hand.
>
> Don hauled a beehive box up our ladder and perched it on the little
> paint-bucket shelf. He bent the branch the swarm was on near the open
> top and -- WHACK! He rapped the branch sharply on the box, and the
> bees plopped inside. Back on the ground, he put the top on.
>
> Some of the bees still wanted back on the branch (apparently they
> could smell the queen's scent there), so we eventually had to lop the
> branch off to discourage them. Don took the other swarm with him in a
> catch box: payment for his services. Next day the bees were still in
> our new hive, so it looked like they'd determined to stay.
>
> The plan was to move them to the community garden at a later date. But
> this morning we had a lot of rain, and the hive was in a low spot in
> the yard. I didn't go out there, but I'm pretty sure the bottom of
> the hive had water in it at least some of the day. So after I figured
> the bees had gone to bed this evening I moved the hive to the garden.
>
> That's not something I ever thought I'd say. I moved a beehive.
> Across town. Tonight.
>
> I stuffed a towel into the slot the bees use to get in and out of the
> hive, borrowed a friend's pickup, and called another garden guy for
> help. "Okay, I'll help move it, but I'm allergic."
>
> Great. "Allergic like you go into anaphylactic shock if you're
> stung?"
>
> "No, but I get really sick."
>
> I suggested that he only watch and advise, and he agreed.
>
> I hoisted the hive onto the truck bed and laid a couple of hammers on
> the towel to keep it steady. Off to the garden I went. Ole modom,
> haulin' bees. Bee haulin' man, listening to Hank Williams on the
> radio, truckin' bees to the vegetable patch. Just like he knew what
> he was doing, which he didn't.
>
> My allergic help followed in his car. Then as night started falling
> for real, we decided where the bees should be (not too close to
> gardeners) and I heaved the hive off the truck and set it in place.
>
> I wonder if the bees are still there? I saw one enter the hive
> tonight before the move, but if it got unpleasant enough in there this
> morning, I could see them deciding to relocate after the storm.
>
> We'll know tomorrow.

Well, that's different! I hope your efforts are rewarded.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"modom (palindrome guy)" > wrote in message
> Last week we discovered not one, but two small swarms of bees in an
> oak tree in our side yard. It took some phone calls to the county
> extension service and then to a couple of bee guys, but Thursday
> evening Don, a bee wrangler from the county seat, showed up to take
> care of them for us. D had a work gig that evening, so it was I who
> witnessed bee wrangling first hand.
>
> Don hauled a beehive box up our ladder and perched it on the little
> paint-bucket shelf. He bent the branch the swarm was on near the open
> top and -- WHACK! He rapped the branch sharply on the box, and the
> bees plopped inside. Back on the ground, he put the top on.
>
> Some of the bees still wanted back on the branch (apparently they
> could smell the queen's scent there), so we eventually had to lop the
> branch off to discourage them. Don took the other swarm with him in a
> catch box: payment for his services. Next day the bees were still in
> our new hive, so it looked like they'd determined to stay.
>
> The plan was to move them to the community garden at a later date. But
> this morning we had a lot of rain, and the hive was in a low spot in
> the yard. I didn't go out there, but I'm pretty sure the bottom of
> the hive had water in it at least some of the day. So after I figured
> the bees had gone to bed this evening I moved the hive to the garden.
>
> That's not something I ever thought I'd say. I moved a beehive.
> Across town. Tonight.
>
> I stuffed a towel into the slot the bees use to get in and out of the
> hive, borrowed a friend's pickup, and called another garden guy for
> help. "Okay, I'll help move it, but I'm allergic."
>
> Great. "Allergic like you go into anaphylactic shock if you're
> stung?"
>
> "No, but I get really sick."
>
> I suggested that he only watch and advise, and he agreed.
>
> I hoisted the hive onto the truck bed and laid a couple of hammers on
> the towel to keep it steady. Off to the garden I went. Ole modom,
> haulin' bees. Bee haulin' man, listening to Hank Williams on the
> radio, truckin' bees to the vegetable patch. Just like he knew what
> he was doing, which he didn't.
>
> My allergic help followed in his car. Then as night started falling
> for real, we decided where the bees should be (not too close to
> gardeners) and I heaved the hive off the truck and set it in place.
>
> I wonder if the bees are still there? I saw one enter the hive
> tonight before the move, but if it got unpleasant enough in there this
> morning, I could see them deciding to relocate after the storm.
>
> We'll know tomorrow.
> --
>
> modom

Quite an adventure! BTW, Harry Nilsson would have called it "Goofin' with
the Bees'

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 12, 6:47*pm, "modom (palindrome guy)"
so it was I who
> witnessed bee wrangling first hand.
>
> Don hauled a beehive box up our ladder and perched it on the little
> paint-bucket shelf. *He bent the branch the swarm was on near the open
> top and -- WHACK! *He rapped the branch sharply on the box, and the
> bees plopped inside. *Back on the ground, he put the top on.
>
> Some of the bees still wanted back on the branch (apparently they
> could smell the queen's scent there), so we eventually had to lop the
> branch off to discourage them. *Don took the other swarm with him in a
> catch box: payment for his services.

Modom,

Just for curiosity's sake: What state are you in? I'm in California,
and here we use to call the bee keeper and he was happy to get the new
hive. But I hear things have changed. There's a parasitic mite and
Africanized bees, so the bee keepers don't come and get them any
more. I've been told the only thing to do now is call the
exterminator.

That sure seems like a waste.

Ken

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 07:18:00 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

>On Apr 12, 6:47*pm, "modom (palindrome guy)"
>so it was I who
>> witnessed bee wrangling first hand.
>>
>> Don hauled a beehive box up our ladder and perched it on the little
>> paint-bucket shelf. *He bent the branch the swarm was on near the open
>> top and -- WHACK! *He rapped the branch sharply on the box, and the
>> bees plopped inside. *Back on the ground, he put the top on.
>>
>> Some of the bees still wanted back on the branch (apparently they
>> could smell the queen's scent there), so we eventually had to lop the
>> branch off to discourage them. *Don took the other swarm with him in a
>> catch box: payment for his services.

>Modom,
>
>Just for curiosity's sake: What state are you in? I'm in California,
>and here we use to call the bee keeper and he was happy to get the new
>hive. But I hear things have changed. There's a parasitic mite and
>Africanized bees, so the bee keepers don't come and get them any
>more. I've been told the only thing to do now is call the
>exterminator.
>
>That sure seems like a waste.
>
>Ken

Don't know how current this list is:
http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...ad0& t=208198

My bee wrangler told me about a hive he'd worked to remove from a
house not far from here (Cow Hill Texas). When he got the wall open,
they didn't stop attacking till he was about 75 yards away.
Africanized, I'd guess.

My bees were quite docile.
--

modom
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> Just for curiosity's sake: *What state are you in? *I'm in California,
> and here we use to call the bee keeper and he was happy to get the new
> hive. *But I hear things have changed. *There's a parasitic mite and
> Africanized bees, so the bee keepers don't come and get them any
> more.

They should come running. Domesticated bees are in a
plague now dying in droves. If a resistant hive is discovered
that can be added to the mix it would outweigh any risk of
adding infected bees to an already infected population.

> I've been told the only thing to do now is call the
> exterminator.
>
> That sure seems like a waste.

That and it's possible an entirely new species could be
harvested from the wild and used in place of the current
domesticated population. A wild hive would not make as
much honey as a domesticated one, but honey is a
by-product of using bees for pollination not the primary
product for most bee keepers.

Harvesting from wild hives would increase genetic
diversity in kept bee populations. That's a good thing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 12, 10:47*pm, "modom (palindrome guy)" >
wrote:
> Last week we discovered not one, but two small swarms of bees in an
> oak tree in our side yard. *It took some phone calls to the county
> extension service and then to a couple of bee guys, but Thursday
> evening Don, a bee wrangler from the county seat, showed up to take
> care of them for us. *D had a work gig that evening, so it was I who
> witnessed bee wrangling first hand.
>
> Don hauled a beehive box up our ladder and perched it on the little
> paint-bucket shelf. *He bent the branch the swarm was on near the open
> top and -- WHACK! *He rapped the branch sharply on the box, and the
> bees plopped inside. *Back on the ground, he put the top on.
>
> Some of the bees still wanted back on the branch (apparently they
> could smell the queen's scent there), so we eventually had to lop the
> branch off to discourage them. *Don took the other swarm with him in a
> catch box: payment for his services. *Next day the bees were still in
> our new hive, so it looked like they'd determined to stay.
>
> The plan was to move them to the community garden at a later date. But
> this morning we had a lot of rain, and the hive was in a low spot in
> the yard. *I didn't go out there, but I'm pretty sure the bottom of
> the hive had water in it at least some of the day. *So after I figured
> the bees had gone to bed this evening I moved the hive to the garden.
>
> That's not something I ever thought I'd say. *I moved a beehive.
> Across town. *Tonight.
>
> I stuffed a towel into the slot the bees use to get in and out of the
> hive, borrowed a friend's pickup, and called another garden guy for
> help. *"Okay, I'll help move it, but I'm allergic." *
>
> Great. *"Allergic like you go into anaphylactic shock if you're
> stung?"
>
> "No, but I get really sick."
>
> I suggested that he only watch and advise, and he agreed.
>
> I hoisted the hive onto the truck bed and laid a couple of hammers on
> the towel to keep it steady. *Off to the garden I went. *Ole modom,
> haulin' bees. *Bee haulin' man, listening to Hank Williams on the
> radio, truckin' bees to the vegetable patch. *Just like he knew what
> he was doing, which he didn't.
>
> My allergic help followed in his car. *Then as night started falling
> for real, we decided where the bees should be (not too close to
> gardeners) and I heaved the hive off the truck and set it in place.
>
> I wonder if the bees are still there? *I saw one enter the hive
> tonight before the move, but if it got unpleasant enough in there this
> morning, I could see them deciding to relocate after the storm.
>
> We'll know tomorrow.

Good man. Round these parts, folks are more likely to haul out the
Raid and douse the little buggers.

maxine in ri
where they wonder where the bees all went....
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Apr 2009 21:47:45 -0500, "modom (palindrome guy)"
> wrote:

>Last week we discovered not one, but two small swarms of bees in an
>oak tree in our side yard. It took some phone calls to the county
>extension service and then to a couple of bee guys, but Thursday
>evening Don, a bee wrangler from the county seat, showed up to take
>care of them for us. D had a work gig that evening, so it was I who
>witnessed bee wrangling first hand.

(snip story)

>I wonder if the bees are still there? I saw one enter the hive
>tonight before the move, but if it got unpleasant enough in there this
>morning, I could see them deciding to relocate after the storm.
>
>We'll know tomorrow.

I hope they stayed put and love their nice new home! Mama had a hard
time finding anyone to come and deal with their bee situation when the
darned things decided to swam onto the plum tree. They had three
swarms in as many weeks and it was an expensive business getting rid
of them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 13, 8:36*am, Doug Freyburger > wrote:
> wrote:
>

> That and it's possible an entirely new species could be
> harvested from the wild and used in place of the current
> domesticated population. *A wild hive would not make as
> much honey as a domesticated one, but honey is a
> by-product of using bees for pollination not the primary
> product for most bee keepers.
>
> Harvesting from wild hives would increase genetic
> diversity in kept bee populations. *That's a good thing.

I'm most certainly not a bee expert, but here's what I know: The bees
that we think are wild are actually imports from Europe several
hundred years ago. They've displaced the native bee populations for
the most part. I live near the largest almond and stone fruit growing
region in the world, and they bring in thousands and thousands of
hives every year for pollination. You're right, that's where the
money is. They get paid to put their hives there, and then they get
the bonus of keeping the honey.

I'm not in ag, but it's funny that I hear about all sorts of work on
hybrid plants. But the harvest is dependent on the bees, and I don't
hear anything about cross-breeding bees to make better pollinators or
more resistant varieties. It seems U.C. Davis or somewhere should be
working on that.

Ken

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 13, 7:58*am, "modom (palindrome guy)" >
wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 07:18:00 -0700 (PDT),
>

> wrote:
> >On Apr 12, 6:47*pm, "modom (palindrome guy)"
> >so it was I who
> >> witnessed bee wrangling first hand.

> >> Don hauled a beehive box up our ladder and perched it on the little
> >> paint-bucket shelf. *He bent the branch the swarm was on near the open
> >> top and -- WHACK! *He rapped the branch sharply on the box, and the
> >> bees plopped inside. *Back on the ground, he put the top on.

> >> Some of the bees still wanted back on the branch (apparently they
> >> could smell the queen's scent there), so we eventually had to lop the
> >> branch off to discourage them. *Don took the other swarm with him in a
> >> catch box: payment for his services.

> >Modom,

> >Just for curiosity's sake: *What state are you in? *I'm in California,
> >and here we use to call the bee keeper and he was happy to get the new
> >hive. *But I hear things have changed. *There's a parasitic mite and
> >Africanized bees, so the bee keepers don't come and get them any
> >more. *I've been told the only thing to do now is call the
> >exterminator.

> >That sure seems like a waste.

> >Ken

> Don't know how current this list is:http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...d851762fe598f4...
>
> My bee wrangler told me about a hive he'd worked to remove from a
> house not far from here (Cow Hill Texas). *When he got the wall open,
> they didn't stop attacking till he was about 75 yards away.
> Africanized, I'd guess.
>
> My bees were quite docile.
> --
>
> modom- Hide quoted text -

We've had Africanized bees here for several years, but most people are
very surprised to hear about it. For some reason, the government
agencies don't publicize it.

Ken
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 07:18:00 -0700 (PDT),
>

> wrote:
> >On Apr 12, 6:47*pm, "modom (palindrome guy)"
> >so it was I who
> >> witnessed bee wrangling first hand.

> >> Don hauled a beehive box up our ladder and perched it on the little
> >> paint-bucket shelf. *He bent the branch the swarm was on near the open
> >> top and -- WHACK! *He rapped the branch sharply on the box, and the
> >> bees plopped inside. *Back on the ground, he put the top on.

> >> Some of the bees still wanted back on the branch (apparently they
> >> could smell the queen's scent there), so we eventually had to lop the
> >> branch off to discourage them. *Don took the other swarm with him in a
> >> catch box: payment for his services.

> >Modom,

> >Just for curiosity's sake: *What state are you in? *I'm in California,
> >and here we use to call the bee keeper and he was happy to get the new
> >hive. *But I hear things have changed. *There's a parasitic mite and
> >Africanized bees, so the bee keepers don't come and get them any
> >more. *I've been told the only thing to do now is call the
> >exterminator.

> >That sure seems like a waste.

> >Ken

> Don't know how current this list is:http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...d851762fe598f4...

Thanks for the link. I'll save it and pass this along to the proper
person at work.

Thanks Again,

Ken
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> My Brother in Law wants to start a bee hive in my back yard.
> I plan to fence off the area that he can use with a gate. It's a high
> spot in the yard so it won't flood, and it'll be beeneficial for any
> gardening that I plan to do.

When I planned the site for my beehive (many years ago),
I chose a place with a lot of bushes around it, to block
line-of-sight between the hive and anywhere people would be.
Along one side where there were no bushes, I dug up some
nearby bushes and transplanted them to form a wall.
The concern was to protect people from being attacked
by my bees, not to hide the hive.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Do you ever dry clothes on a clothes line?
You'll want to keep the clothes line away from
the beehive.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote

> For some reason, the government

agencies don't publicize it.

hahaha!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 13, 8:58*am, "modom (palindrome guy)" >
wrote:
[snip]
> My bees were quite docile.

Did your new-found beneficial neighbors stick around after the rain or
did the hive find another garden?

The Ranger
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 12, 9:47*pm, "modom (palindrome guy)" >
wrote:
> Last week we discovered not one, but two small swarms of bees in an
> oak tree in our side yard. *It took some phone calls to the county
> extension service and then to a couple of bee guys, but Thursday
> evening Don, a bee wrangler from the county seat, showed up to take
> care of them for us. *D had a work gig that evening, so it was I who
> witnessed bee wrangling first hand.
>
> Don hauled a beehive box up our ladder and perched it on the little
> paint-bucket shelf. *He bent the branch the swarm was on near the open
> top and -- WHACK! *He rapped the branch sharply on the box, and the
> bees plopped inside. *Back on the ground, he put the top on.
>
> Some of the bees still wanted back on the branch (apparently they
> could smell the queen's scent there), so we eventually had to lop the
> branch off to discourage them. *Don took the other swarm with him in a
> catch box: payment for his services. *Next day the bees were still in
> our new hive, so it looked like they'd determined to stay.
>
> The plan was to move them to the community garden at a later date. But
> this morning we had a lot of rain, and the hive was in a low spot in
> the yard. *I didn't go out there, but I'm pretty sure the bottom of
> the hive had water in it at least some of the day. *So after I figured
> the bees had gone to bed this evening I moved the hive to the garden.
>
> That's not something I ever thought I'd say. *I moved a beehive.
> Across town. *Tonight.
>
> I stuffed a towel into the slot the bees use to get in and out of the
> hive, borrowed a friend's pickup, and called another garden guy for
> help. *"Okay, I'll help move it, but I'm allergic." *
>
> Great. *"Allergic like you go into anaphylactic shock if you're
> stung?"
>
> "No, but I get really sick."
>
> I suggested that he only watch and advise, and he agreed.
>
> I hoisted the hive onto the truck bed and laid a couple of hammers on
> the towel to keep it steady. *Off to the garden I went. *Ole modom,
> haulin' bees. *Bee haulin' man, listening to Hank Williams on the
> radio, truckin' bees to the vegetable patch. *Just like he knew what
> he was doing, which he didn't.
>
> My allergic help followed in his car. *Then as night started falling
> for real, we decided where the bees should be (not too close to
> gardeners) and I heaved the hive off the truck and set it in place.
>
> I wonder if the bees are still there? *I saw one enter the hive
> tonight before the move, but if it got unpleasant enough in there this
> morning, I could see them deciding to relocate after the storm.
>
> We'll know tomorrow.
> --
>
> modom

Bees are soooooooo critical to agriculture. ND is a big honey
producing state. Most of the honey is clover honey at least in the
fall. Our bees are trucked to warmer climes in winter. IIRC we won't
get Africanized bees because it's too cold here in the spring and the
fall.
Lynn in Fargo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 08:54:21 -0700 (PDT), Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig
> wrote:
>
>Bees are soooooooo critical to agriculture. ND is a big honey
>producing state. Most of the honey is clover honey at least in the
>fall. Our bees are trucked to warmer climes in winter. IIRC we won't
>get Africanized bees because it's too cold here in the spring and the
>fall.
>Lynn in Fargo

The bees survived their journey to the garden, but it became apparent
yesterday that I'd placed the hive to close to the garden.

So at dusk this evening, I moved them again -- this time about a
hundred yards away from the garden. Hive-haulin' modom, out there on
the prairie schlepping bees across the fields.

I still need to figure out a water source for them, but it'll come.
--

modom
Posted to rec.food.cooking

modom (palindrome guy) wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 08:54:21 -0700 (PDT), Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig
> > wrote:
>
>> Bees are soooooooo critical to agriculture. ND is a big honey
>> producing state. Most of the honey is clover honey at least in the
>> fall. Our bees are trucked to warmer climes in winter. IIRC we won't
>> get Africanized bees because it's too cold here in the spring and the
>> fall.
>> Lynn in Fargo
>>

> The bees survived their journey to the garden, but it became apparent
> yesterday that I'd placed the hive to close to the garden.
>
> So at dusk this evening, I moved them again -- this time about a
> hundred yards away from the garden. Hive-haulin' modom, out there on
> the prairie schlepping bees across the fields.
>
> I still need to figure out a water source for them, but it'll come.

The bees will drink water that adheres to the plants in the garden. Really.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

modom (palindrome guy) wrote:

> The bees survived their journey to the garden, but it became apparent
> yesterday that I'd placed the hive to close to the garden.
>
> So at dusk this evening, I moved them again -- this time about a
> hundred yards away from the garden. Hive-haulin' modom, out there on
> the prairie schlepping bees across the fields.

(laughing) Soon to be the subject of folklore, right up there
with Johnny Appleseed. Modom the Bee Mover.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 16, 10:01*am, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> modom (palindrome guy) wrote:
> > The bees survived their journey to the garden, but it became apparent
> > yesterday that I'd placed the hive to close to the garden.

> > So at dusk this evening, I moved them again -- this time about a
> > hundred yards away from the garden. *Hive-haulin' modom, out there on
> > the prairie schlepping bees across the fields.

> (laughing) *Soon to be the subject of folklore, right up there
> with Johnny Appleseed. *Modom the Bee Mover.

Ya damned Yankee. That'd be Peco Bill! <EG>

The Ranger
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:
> modom (palindrome guy) wrote:
>> On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 08:54:21 -0700 (PDT), Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Bees are soooooooo critical to agriculture. ND is a big honey
>>> producing state. Most of the honey is clover honey at least in the
>>> fall. Our bees are trucked to warmer climes in winter. IIRC we won't
>>> get Africanized bees because it's too cold here in the spring and the
>>> fall.
>>> Lynn in Fargo
>>>

>> The bees survived their journey to the garden, but it became apparent
>> yesterday that I'd placed the hive to close to the garden.
>>
>> So at dusk this evening, I moved them again -- this time about a
>> hundred yards away from the garden. Hive-haulin' modom, out there on
>> the prairie schlepping bees across the fields.
>>
>> I still need to figure out a water source for them, but it'll come.
>>

> The bees will drink water that adheres to the plants in the garden.
> Really.
>

> Becca

When we had drought conditions I used to put a pie tin with water in it
near the hive. As long as it has a lip where the bees can stand to
gather water it will work.

Where we live now there is a scarcity of honey bees but the native bees
are doing their share of pollinating plus some. I do like the orchard
and mason bees, they don't sting and they toil from daylight to dark.

There's even a "bee" fly that pollinates and we seem them somewhat more
infrequently. One year they absolutely saved our cucumber crop, the
local bees had died off and in came the bee flys.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 11:41:46 -0500, Becca > wrote:

>modom (palindrome guy) wrote:
>> On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 08:54:21 -0700 (PDT), Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Bees are soooooooo critical to agriculture. ND is a big honey
>>> producing state. Most of the honey is clover honey at least in the
>>> fall. Our bees are trucked to warmer climes in winter. IIRC we won't
>>> get Africanized bees because it's too cold here in the spring and the
>>> fall.
>>> Lynn in Fargo
>>>

>> The bees survived their journey to the garden, but it became apparent
>> yesterday that I'd placed the hive to close to the garden.
>>
>> So at dusk this evening, I moved them again -- this time about a
>> hundred yards away from the garden. Hive-haulin' modom, out there on
>> the prairie schlepping bees across the fields.
>>
>> I still need to figure out a water source for them, but it'll come.
>>

>The bees will drink water that adheres to the plants in the garden. Really.
>

>Becca

Yabut I'm in Texas, remember. Water doesn't grow on trees here. In
fact that's one of the garden's most pressing issues at the moment:
how do we irrigate responsibly?
--

modom
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"modom (palindrome guy)" > wrote in message
> Last week we discovered not one, but two small swarms of bees in an
> oak tree in our side yard. It took some phone calls to the county
> extension service and then to a couple of bee guys, but Thursday
> evening Don, a bee wrangler from the county seat, showed up to take
> care of them for us. D had a work gig that evening, so it was I who
> witnessed bee wrangling first hand.
>
> Don hauled a beehive box up our ladder and perched it on the little
> paint-bucket shelf. He bent the branch the swarm was on near the open
> top and -- WHACK! He rapped the branch sharply on the box, and the
> bees plopped inside. Back on the ground, he put the top on.
>
> Some of the bees still wanted back on the branch (apparently they
> could smell the queen's scent there), so we eventually had to lop the
> branch off to discourage them. Don took the other swarm with him in a
> catch box: payment for his services. Next day the bees were still in
> our new hive, so it looked like they'd determined to stay.
>
> The plan was to move them to the community garden at a later date. But
> this morning we had a lot of rain, and the hive was in a low spot in
> the yard. I didn't go out there, but I'm pretty sure the bottom of
> the hive had water in it at least some of the day. So after I figured
> the bees had gone to bed this evening I moved the hive to the garden.
>
> That's not something I ever thought I'd say. I moved a beehive.
> Across town. Tonight.
>
> I stuffed a towel into the slot the bees use to get in and out of the
> hive, borrowed a friend's pickup, and called another garden guy for
> help. "Okay, I'll help move it, but I'm allergic."
>
> Great. "Allergic like you go into anaphylactic shock if you're
> stung?"
>
> "No, but I get really sick."
>
> I suggested that he only watch and advise, and he agreed.
>
> I hoisted the hive onto the truck bed and laid a couple of hammers on
> the towel to keep it steady. Off to the garden I went. Ole modom,
> haulin' bees. Bee haulin' man, listening to Hank Williams on the
> radio, truckin' bees to the vegetable patch. Just like he knew what
> he was doing, which he didn't.
>
> My allergic help followed in his car. Then as night started falling
> for real, we decided where the bees should be (not too close to
> gardeners) and I heaved the hive off the truck and set it in place.
>
> I wonder if the bees are still there? I saw one enter the hive
> tonight before the move, but if it got unpleasant enough in there this
> morning, I could see them deciding to relocate after the storm.
>
> We'll know tomorrow.
> --
>
> modom

Sounds like an interesting time. I hope you get lots of honey!

--
mompeagram
FERGUS/HARLINGEN

Posted to rec.food.cooking

modom (palindrome guy) wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 11:41:46 -0500, Becca > wrote:
>

>> modom (palindrome guy) wrote:
>>
>>> On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 08:54:21 -0700 (PDT), Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig

>>> The bees survived their journey to the garden, but it became apparent
>>> yesterday that I'd placed the hive to close to the garden.
>>>
>>> So at dusk this evening, I moved them again -- this time about a
>>> hundred yards away from the garden. Hive-haulin' modom, out there on
>>> the prairie schlepping bees across the fields.
>>>
>>> I still need to figure out a water source for them, but it'll come.
>>>

>> The bees will drink water that adheres to the plants in the garden. Really.
>>

>> Becca
>>

> Yabut I'm in Texas, remember. Water doesn't grow on trees here. In
> fact that's one of the garden's most pressing issues at the moment:
> how do we irrigate responsibly?

We used a drip system to help save water. If it rained, the system was
supposed to turn itself off, but that function never worked. The city
provided the water, but we still focused on water conservation. Our
community garden was a cooperation between the Master Gardeners and the
Council on Aging.

If it rains, or when your garden is watered, the bees will drink the
water off the plants. If you use a drip system, the bees are screwed.
Bees also use water in their hives, so water is a concern for the bees.
We have lost so many bees, to what we are assuming is a virus, so now we
have to worry about bee conservation as much as we have to worry about
water conservation.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 16, 8:02*pm, "modom (palindrome guy)" >
wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 11:41:46 -0500, Becca > wrote:
> >modom (palindrome guy) wrote:
> >> On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 08:54:21 -0700 (PDT), Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig

> >> The bees survived their journey to the garden, but it became apparent
> >> yesterday that I'd placed the hive to close to the garden.

> >> So at dusk this evening, I moved them again -- this time about a
> >> hundred yards away from the garden. *Hive-haulin' modom, out there on
> >> the prairie schlepping bees across the fields.

> >> I still need to figure out a water source for them, but it'll come.

> >The bees will drink water that adheres to the plants in the garden. *Really.

> >Becca

> Yabut I'm in Texas, remember. *Water doesn't grow on trees here. *In
> fact that's one of the garden's most pressing issues at the moment:
> how do we irrigate responsibly?
>
> modom

Have you considered using greywater? Not the toilet flush, but bath
and dishwater? It does involve some plumbing, but could be a
worthwhile project.

I remember at Jack Schidt's cook-in, he had a rainwater catch system,
but I don't know how useful that would be in Cow Hill....

maxine in ri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 09:34:22 -0700 (PDT), maxine >
wrote:

>On Apr 16, 8:02*pm, "modom (palindrome guy)" >
>wrote:

>> >The bees will drink water that adheres to the plants in the garden. *Really.

>> >Becca

>> Yabut I'm in Texas, remember. *Water doesn't grow on trees here. *In
>> fact that's one of the garden's most pressing issues at the moment:
>> how do we irrigate responsibly?
>>
>> modom

>Have you considered using greywater? Not the toilet flush, but bath
>and dishwater? It does involve some plumbing, but could be a
>worthwhile project.
>
>I remember at Jack Schidt's cook-in, he had a rainwater catch system,
>but I don't know how useful that would be in Cow Hill....

Yes, the subject of gray water came up a couple of times in planning
meetings. We couldn't find an economical way to rig it because of the
garden's location. We're tapped into city water right now, but I fear
killer water bills unless we institute a foolproof water regime.

Next year, we may dig a catch pond for irrigation purposes, but that
remains to be seen.
--

modom
Posted to rec.food.cooking

modom (palindrome guy) wrote:

> Yes, the subject of gray water came up a couple of times in planning
> meetings. We couldn't find an economical way to rig it because of the
> garden's location. We're tapped into city water right now, but I fear
> killer water bills unless we institute a foolproof water regime.

Maybe you could get a sponsor. Like the company where you buy
all that compost and whatnot. Or has all that been donated, I
forget.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> modom (palindrome guy) wrote:
>
>> Yes, the subject of gray water came up a couple of times in planning
>> meetings. We couldn't find an economical way to rig it because of the
>> garden's location. We're tapped into city water right now, but I fear
>> killer water bills unless we institute a foolproof water regime.

> Maybe you could get a sponsor. Like the company where you buy all that
> compost and whatnot. Or has all that been donated, I forget.

Perhaps a shallow well into groundwater... those benevolent types may donate
it.

Fourth of BEES MMkay17432 (Twelfth Incarnation) Barbecue 1 06-07-2014 04:10 PM
calling all bees Bread Basket[_6_] Barbecue 0 10-10-2012 08:48 PM
What's Killing Bees. Mr.Smartypants[_2_] Vegan 0 29-07-2010 06:21 AM
Bees and tea Space Cowboy Tea 6 06-08-2008 04:40 PM
The Bees Lees II Dr Paul Dowrick Winemaking 0 28-07-2004 10:48 AM