Posted to rec.food.cooking
modom (palindrome guy)[_3_] modom (palindrome guy)[_3_] is offline

Default Messin' with the bees

On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 07:18:00 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

>On Apr 12, 6:47*pm, "modom (palindrome guy)"
>so it was I who
>> witnessed bee wrangling first hand.
>>
>> Don hauled a beehive box up our ladder and perched it on the little
>> paint-bucket shelf. *He bent the branch the swarm was on near the open
>> top and -- WHACK! *He rapped the branch sharply on the box, and the
>> bees plopped inside. *Back on the ground, he put the top on.
>>
>> Some of the bees still wanted back on the branch (apparently they
>> could smell the queen's scent there), so we eventually had to lop the
>> branch off to discourage them. *Don took the other swarm with him in a
>> catch box: payment for his services.

>Modom,
>
>Just for curiosity's sake: What state are you in? I'm in California,
>and here we use to call the bee keeper and he was happy to get the new
>hive. But I hear things have changed. There's a parasitic mite and
>Africanized bees, so the bee keepers don't come and get them any
>more. I've been told the only thing to do now is call the
>exterminator.
>
>That sure seems like a waste.
>
>Ken

Don't know how current this list is:
http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...ad0& t=208198

My bee wrangler told me about a hive he'd worked to remove from a
house not far from here (Cow Hill Texas). When he got the wall open,
they didn't stop attacking till he was about 75 yards away.
Africanized, I'd guess.

My bees were quite docile.
--

modom