Posted to rec.food.cooking
George Shirley George Shirley is offline

Default Messin' with the bees

Becca wrote:
> modom (palindrome guy) wrote:
>> On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 08:54:21 -0700 (PDT), Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Bees are soooooooo critical to agriculture. ND is a big honey
>>> producing state. Most of the honey is clover honey at least in the
>>> fall. Our bees are trucked to warmer climes in winter. IIRC we won't
>>> get Africanized bees because it's too cold here in the spring and the
>>> fall.
>>> Lynn in Fargo
>>>

>> The bees survived their journey to the garden, but it became apparent
>> yesterday that I'd placed the hive to close to the garden.
>>
>> So at dusk this evening, I moved them again -- this time about a
>> hundred yards away from the garden. Hive-haulin' modom, out there on
>> the prairie schlepping bees across the fields.
>>
>> I still need to figure out a water source for them, but it'll come.
>>

> The bees will drink water that adheres to the plants in the garden.
> Really.
>

> Becca

When we had drought conditions I used to put a pie tin with water in it
near the hive. As long as it has a lip where the bees can stand to
gather water it will work.

Where we live now there is a scarcity of honey bees but the native bees
are doing their share of pollinating plus some. I do like the orchard
and mason bees, they don't sting and they toil from daylight to dark.

There's even a "bee" fly that pollinates and we seem them somewhat more
infrequently. One year they absolutely saved our cucumber crop, the
local bees had died off and in came the bee flys.