Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Project use-what-we-have

As we are kinda broke right now (and will be for at least the next month
or so -- we can pay our bills and stuff, but don't have a lot extra),
I'm embarking on a project to use up stuff in the cupboards before
buying extra foodstuffs, whenever possible. I'll still buy fresh veggies
and stuff, of course, unless the money really runs out, but I'm going to
try to use up the staples.

For me, "staples" often means lots of beans, so I think we'll be eating
lots of beans for a while. As far as meat goes, the only meat in the
house is as follows: a few pounds of bacon; a couple pounds of lunchmeat
(turkey breast); some chicken scraps for stock; a three-pound corned
beef (a friend is coming by on Tuesday to help us eat that); and a dozen
cans of tuna. We have a ton of garbanzos, pintos, and red beans, and
about a pound and a half of medium cheddar.

I have plenty of rice, bread flour, and pasta. I also have lots of
lettuce for salads, plenty of onions and peppers, and a big bag of
frozen veggies, so I'm good for vegetables for a few days, but then I'll
have to buy more.

(Monday, I made refried beans and we had burritos. Tuesday, we just had
sandwiches. Wednesday, I made chili from red beans. Yesterday, I made a
"tamale pie" from the leftover chili and some cornbread batter.)

This is the current plan, but if you have ideas, I'm totally open to them.

I'll put the stuff I have to buy in brackets.

Tonight: Red beans and rice; salad [nothing]
Saturday: Tuna casserole; salad [nothing]
Sunday: Spaghetti with tomato sauce; salad [possibly salad greens or
some vegetable to cook -- broccoli? zucchini? -- my frozen veggies are
kind of Asian-ish, and don't really go with spaghetti.]
Monday: Garbanzo curry with the frozen veggies and frozen peas; rice
[nothing]
Tuesday: Corned beef and cabbage [cabbage, potatoes]
Wednesday: Grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup [onions/celery for
making the soup]
Thursday: Bean burritos [tortillas; tomatoes; onions; cilantro]

--
42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue March '09!
http://42magazine.com

"But here's a handy hint: if your fabulous theory for ending war and
all other human conflict will not survive an online argument with
humourless feminists who are not afraid to throw rape around as an
example, your theory needs work." -- Aqua, alt.polyamory
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lin Lin is offline

Serene Vannoy wrote:

> This is the current plan, but if you have ideas, I'm totally open to them.

I saw bacon in your ingredients and immediately thought of a carbonara
if you happen to have some Parmigiano-Reggiano hanging about. Then
again, that cheddar cheese might be good too.

--Lin (made a wonderful carbonara last week, so it's fresh in my mind still)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> I'll put the stuff I have to buy in brackets.
>
> Tonight: Red beans and rice; salad [nothing]
> Saturday: Tuna casserole; salad [nothing]
> Sunday: Spaghetti with tomato sauce; salad [possibly salad greens or some
> vegetable to cook -- broccoli? zucchini? -- my frozen veggies are kind of
> Asian-ish, and don't really go with spaghetti.]
> Monday: Garbanzo curry with the frozen veggies and frozen peas; rice
> [nothing]
> Tuesday: Corned beef and cabbage [cabbage, potatoes]
> Wednesday: Grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup [onions/celery for
> making the soup]
> Thursday: Bean burritos [tortillas; tomatoes; onions; cilantro]

Serene,
Maybe for the next menu go-round for tuna you could do a tuna on pasta dish.
Two of my favorites follow:

TUNA, LEMON, AND CAPER SAUCE

Epicurious | May 1998 | by Joie Warner |Yield: Serves 2 to 4

1 can (6 ounces) tuna (chunk or solid in olive oil), drained

1 large garlic clove, finely chopped

grated zest of 1 medium lemon

2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

1/4 cup fruity olive oil

1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste

freshly ground black pepper

2 tablespoons capers, drained

1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped

freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Place tuna in pasta serving bowl and break it into large bite-size pieces.

Add garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pepper, and capers

and stir gently to combine. Set aside to warm to room temperature,

or preferably, place the bowl (be sure it's heatproof)

over the pasta pot to warm the ingredients while heating the water.

Once the water comes to a boil, remove bowl and set aside.

Cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until al dente.

Drain pasta well and immediately add to sauce in bowl.

Sprinkle with parsley and toss.

Serve at once with Parmesan cheese. Pass the pepper mill.

PASTA WITH TUNA AND OLIVES

Martha Rose Shulman | Yield: Serves four

1 6 1/2-ounce can water-packed light (not albacore) tuna, drained

1 to 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (to taste)

1 garlic clove, minced

1 cup fresh tomato sauce or a good prepared marinara sauce

2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley or slivered fresh basil

Salt and freshly ground pepper

1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes (optional)

1/2 cup pitted imported black olives, such as kalamatas, cut in half

3/4 pound fusilli, penne, farfalle or spaghetti

Freshly grated Parmesan for serving (optional)

Begin heating a large pot of water for the pasta.

In a large pasta bowl, break up the tuna.

Heat the olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat, and add garlic.

Cook, stirring, just until fragrant, and remove from the heat.

Add to the tuna, the parsley or basil, and mix together.

Add the tomato sauce to the pan and heat through.

Add the red pepper flakes if using.

Stir in the olives.

When the water for the pasta comes to a boil, add a generous tablespoon of
salt and the pasta.

Cook al dente, until firm to the bite, following the cooking instructions on
the

package but checking the pasta a minute or two before the indicated time.

Remove two tablespoons of the cooking water, and mix with the tuna.

When the pasta is al dente, drain and transfer to the bowl with the tuna.

Add the tomato sauce with the olives, toss everything together, and serve.

Pass the Parmesan at the table.

I have a few others I really like as well. Let me know and I can post.

Jon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Serene Vannoy" > wrote in message
> As we are kinda broke right now (and will be for at least the next month
> or so -- we can pay our bills and stuff, but don't have a lot extra), I'm
> embarking on a project to use up stuff in the cupboards before buying
> extra foodstuffs, whenever possible. I'll still buy fresh veggies and
> stuff, of course, unless the money really runs out, but I'm going to try
> to use up the staples.

If you have a good deal of rice then think Asian - especially if you have
some Asian veggies.

a nice fried rice with fresh veggies is one of my favorites. If there is a
small piece of leftover chicken or pork or whatever all the better -

If you have eggs a giant torta (Spanish Omelets) is very filling and well
balanced.

Don't know where you live but in the good ads this week there were some
coupons for Vons (Safeway) # 1 Butter 99 cents
18 eggs 99 cents. Life cereal 99 cents.

Been there done that....

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I've been craving red beans and rice. Why not make extra rice and then
do fried rice another day with your asian style veggies?

marcella

In article >,
Serene Vannoy > wrote:

> This is the current plan, but if you have ideas, I'm totally open to them.
>
> I'll put the stuff I have to buy in brackets.
>
> Tonight: Red beans and rice; salad [nothing]
> Saturday: Tuna casserole; salad [nothing]
> Sunday: Spaghetti with tomato sauce; salad [possibly salad greens or
> some vegetable to cook -- broccoli? zucchini? -- my frozen veggies are
> kind of Asian-ish, and don't really go with spaghetti.]
> Monday: Garbanzo curry with the frozen veggies and frozen peas; rice
> [nothing]
> Tuesday: Corned beef and cabbage [cabbage, potatoes]
> Wednesday: Grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup [onions/celery for
> making the soup]
> Thursday: Bean burritos [tortillas; tomatoes; onions; cilantro]

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Serene Vannoy" > wrote in message
> As we are kinda broke right now (and will be for at least the next month
> or so -- we can pay our bills and stuff, but don't have a lot extra), I'm
> embarking on a project to use up stuff in the cupboards before buying
> extra foodstuffs, whenever possible. I'll still buy fresh veggies and
> stuff, of course, unless the money really runs out, but I'm going to try
> to use up the staples.
>
> For me, "staples" often means lots of beans, so I think we'll be eating
> lots of beans for a while. As far as meat goes, the only meat in the
> house is as follows: a few pounds of bacon; a couple pounds of lunchmeat
> (turkey breast); some chicken scraps for stock; a three-pound corned beef
> (a friend is coming by on Tuesday to help us eat that); and a dozen cans
> of tuna. We have a ton of garbanzos, pintos, and red beans, and about a
> pound and a half of medium cheddar.
>
> I have plenty of rice, bread flour, and pasta. I also have lots of
> lettuce for salads, plenty of onions and peppers, and a big bag of frozen
> veggies, so I'm good for vegetables for a few days, but then I'll have to
> buy more.
>
> (Monday, I made refried beans and we had burritos. Tuesday, we just had
> sandwiches. Wednesday, I made chili from red beans. Yesterday, I made a
> "tamale pie" from the leftover chili and some cornbread batter.)
>
> This is the current plan, but if you have ideas, I'm totally open to them.
>
> I'll put the stuff I have to buy in brackets.
>
> Tonight: Red beans and rice; salad [nothing]
> Saturday: Tuna casserole; salad [nothing]
> Sunday: Spaghetti with tomato sauce; salad [possibly salad greens or some
> vegetable to cook -- broccoli? zucchini? -- my frozen veggies are kind of
> Asian-ish, and don't really go with spaghetti.]
> Monday: Garbanzo curry with the frozen veggies and frozen peas; rice
> [nothing]
> Tuesday: Corned beef and cabbage [cabbage, potatoes]
> Wednesday: Grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup [onions/celery for
> making the soup]
> Thursday: Bean burritos [tortillas; tomatoes; onions; cilantro]

Do you have peanut butter? Asian-ish veggies and spaghetti noodles are good
for Asian peanut noodles if you make a satay-ish sauce.
Also, do you make your own flour tortillas? I've always wanted to try that
but haven't yet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 3, 12:48*pm, Serene Vannoy > wrote:
> As we are kinda broke right now (and will be for at least the next month
> or so -- we can pay our bills and stuff, but don't have a lot extra),
> I'm embarking on a project to use up stuff in the cupboards before
> buying extra foodstuffs, whenever possible. I'll still buy fresh veggies
> and stuff, of course, unless the money really runs out, but I'm going to
> try to use up the staples.
>
> For me, "staples" often means lots of beans, so I think we'll be eating
> lots of beans for a while. *As far as meat goes, the only meat in the
> house is as follows: a few pounds of bacon; a couple pounds of lunchmeat
> (turkey breast); some chicken scraps for stock; a three-pound corned
> beef (a friend is coming by on Tuesday to help us eat that); and a dozen
> cans of tuna. *We have a ton of garbanzos, pintos, and red beans, and
> about a pound and a half of medium cheddar.
>
> I have plenty of rice, bread flour, and pasta. *I also have lots of
> lettuce for salads, plenty of onions and peppers, and a big bag of
> frozen veggies, so I'm good for vegetables for a few days, but then I'll
> have to buy more.
>
> (Monday, I made refried beans and we had burritos. Tuesday, we just had
> sandwiches. Wednesday, I made chili from red beans. Yesterday, I made a
> "tamale pie" from the leftover chili and some cornbread batter.)
>
> This is the current plan, but if you have ideas, I'm totally open to them..
>
> I'll put the stuff I have to buy in brackets.
>
> Tonight: Red beans and rice; salad [nothing]
> Saturday: *Tuna casserole; salad [nothing]
> Sunday: *Spaghetti with tomato sauce; salad [possibly salad greens or
> some vegetable to cook -- broccoli? zucchini? -- my frozen veggies are
> kind of Asian-ish, and don't really go with spaghetti.]

If there's peanut butter in the house, you could make a noodles with
peanut paste to go on top of the spagetti, and use up your Asian style
veggies.

My take on it is 1/2 cup water, 1/4 cup peanut butter (either smooth
or crunchy), a little soy sauce, sugar, ginger, garlic and onion.
Pepper or red pepper to taste. Heat the water and pb then add the
rest of the ingredients. Teaspoon or so toasted sesame oil if
available.

IF it's warm where you are, make the spagetti, chill, make the sauce,
chill, and have cold noodles with sesame paste. Top with the veggies
for the New Jersey style.

maxine in ri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Serene Vannoy" ha scritto nel messaggio
> As we are kinda broke right now (and will be for at least the next month
> or so -- we can pay our bills and stuff, but don't have a lot extra), I'm
> embarking on a project to use up stuff in the cupboards before buying
> extra foodstuffs, whenever possible.

I remember loving something called Texas Caviar in the US. Don't forget
lentils, they are so good for you and fast, too. I cook with a lot of
whole grains made into salads, etc. which are great with beans. I like to
make spicy sauces for them using varuious dried chillies soaked and whizzed
up as a base.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 3, 12:48*pm, Serene Vannoy > wrote:
> As we are kinda broke right now (and will be for at least the next month
> or so -- we can pay our bills and stuff, but don't have a lot extra),
> I'm embarking on a project to use up stuff in the cupboards before
> buying extra foodstuffs, whenever possible. I'll still buy fresh veggies
> and stuff, of course, unless the money really runs out, but I'm going to
> try to use up the staples.
>
> For me, "staples" often means lots of beans, so I think we'll be eating
> lots of beans for a while. *As far as meat goes, the only meat in the
> house is as follows: a few pounds of bacon; a couple pounds of lunchmeat
> (turkey breast); some chicken scraps for stock; a three-pound corned
> beef (a friend is coming by on Tuesday to help us eat that); and a dozen
> cans of tuna. *We have a ton of garbanzos, pintos, and red beans, and
> about a pound and a half of medium cheddar.
>
> I have plenty of rice, bread flour, and pasta. *I also have lots of
> lettuce for salads, plenty of onions and peppers, and a big bag of
> frozen veggies, so I'm good for vegetables for a few days, but then I'll
> have to buy more.
>
> (Monday, I made refried beans and we had burritos. Tuesday, we just had
> sandwiches. Wednesday, I made chili from red beans. Yesterday, I made a
> "tamale pie" from the leftover chili and some cornbread batter.)
>
> This is the current plan, but if you have ideas, I'm totally open to them..
>
> I'll put the stuff I have to buy in brackets.
>
> Tonight: Red beans and rice; salad [nothing]
> Saturday: *Tuna casserole; salad [nothing]
> Sunday: *Spaghetti with tomato sauce; salad [possibly salad greens or
> some vegetable to cook -- broccoli? zucchini? -- my frozen veggies are
> kind of Asian-ish, and don't really go with spaghetti.]
> Monday: Garbanzo curry with the frozen veggies and frozen peas; rice
> [nothing]
> Tuesday: Corned beef and cabbage [cabbage, potatoes]
> Wednesday: *Grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup [onions/celery for
> making the soup]
> Thursday: *Bean burritos [tortillas; tomatoes; onions; cilantro]
>
> --
> 42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue March '09!http://42magazine.com
>
> "But here's a handy hint: *if your fabulous theory for ending war and
> all other human conflict will not survive an online argument with
> humourless feminists who are not afraid to throw rape around as an
> example, your theory needs work." -- Aqua, alt.polyamory

I do this sometimes too!

Soups would be in order, I think. You have bacon, beans and the meat
for stock.

Pasta is always good. Maybe pasta salad with the beans?

Make corned beef hash with the leftovers from that night.

Tuna fish salad (duh).

Have fun being creative,
Kris

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 3, 10:48*am, Serene Vannoy > wrote:
> As we are kinda broke right now (and will be for at least the next month
> or so -- we can pay our bills and stuff, but don't have a lot extra),
> I'm embarking on a project to use up stuff in the cupboards before
> buying extra foodstuffs, whenever possible. I'll still buy fresh veggies
> and stuff, of course, unless the money really runs out, but I'm going to
> try to use up the staples.
>
> For me, "staples" often means lots of beans, so I think we'll be eating
> lots of beans for a while. *As far as meat goes, the only meat in the
> house is as follows: a few pounds of bacon; a couple pounds of lunchmeat
> (turkey breast); some chicken scraps for stock; a three-pound corned
> beef (a friend is coming by on Tuesday to help us eat that); and a dozen
> cans of tuna. *We have a ton of garbanzos, pintos, and red beans, and
> about a pound and a half of medium cheddar.
>
> I have plenty of rice, bread flour, and pasta. *I also have lots of
> lettuce for salads, plenty of onions and peppers, and a big bag of
> frozen veggies, so I'm good for vegetables for a few days, but then I'll
> have to buy more.
>
> (Monday, I made refried beans and we had burritos. Tuesday, we just had
> sandwiches. Wednesday, I made chili from red beans. Yesterday, I made a
> "tamale pie" from the leftover chili and some cornbread batter.)
>
> This is the current plan, but if you have ideas, I'm totally open to them..
>
> I'll put the stuff I have to buy in brackets.
>
> Tonight: Red beans and rice; salad [nothing]
> Saturday: *Tuna casserole; salad [nothing]
> Sunday: *Spaghetti with tomato sauce; salad [possibly salad greens or
> some vegetable to cook -- broccoli? zucchini? -- my frozen veggies are
> kind of Asian-ish, and don't really go with spaghetti.]
> Monday: Garbanzo curry with the frozen veggies and frozen peas; rice
> [nothing]
> Tuesday: Corned beef and cabbage [cabbage, potatoes]
> Wednesday: *Grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup [onions/celery for
> making the soup]
> Thursday: *Bean burritos [tortillas; tomatoes; onions; cilantro]
>
> --
> 42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue March '09!http://42magazine.com
>
> "But here's a handy hint: *if your fabulous theory for ending war and
> all other human conflict will not survive an online argument with
> humourless feminists who are not afraid to throw rape around as an
> example, your theory needs work." -- Aqua, alt.polyamory

=============================
Damsel posted a recipe for "Greek Barley Salad" a couple of months
ago. I made it for a potluck and it vanished! If you like tabbouleh,
you'll like it! If you can't find it, tell me and I'll post it. I
think Damsel is fighting her own flood/storm/battle!
Lynn in Fargo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 3, 11:48*am, Serene Vannoy > wrote:
> As we are kinda broke right now (and will be for at least the next month
> or so -- we can pay our bills and stuff, but don't have a lot extra),
> I'm embarking on a project to use up stuff in the cupboards before
> buying extra foodstuffs, whenever possible. I'll still buy fresh veggies
> and stuff, of course, unless the money really runs out, but I'm going to
> try to use up the staples.
>
> For me, "staples" often means lots of beans, so I think we'll be eating
> lots of beans for a while. *As far as meat goes, the only meat in the
> house is as follows: a few pounds of bacon; a couple pounds of
> lunchmeat (turkey breast); some chicken scraps for stock; a three-pound
> corned beef (a friend is coming by on Tuesday to help us eat that); and a
> dozen cans of tuna. We have a ton of garbanzos, pintos, and red beans,
> and about a pound and a half of medium cheddar.

[snip]

One suggestion is to not waste the bacon fat. It's great for basting
eggs. Eggs are really cheap. You can also use it to fry up those
chicken "scraps." Except for the liver, and those disgusting lymph
glands in the pelvis, I fry up all the chicken. Neck, back, ribs,
it's all good. Then you can throw the eaten off of bones in a stock
if it's just for family consumption.

Eating lots of beans isn't necessarily bad. Pintos and cheddar are
wonderful.

> --
> 42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue March '09!http://42magazine.com

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene Vannoy wrote:

> As we are kinda broke right now (and will be for at least the next month
> or so -- we can pay our bills and stuff, but don't have a lot extra),
> I'm embarking on a project to use up stuff in the cupboards before
> buying extra foodstuffs, whenever possible. I'll still buy fresh veggies
> and stuff, of course, unless the money really runs out, but I'm going to
> try to use up the staples.
>
> For me, "staples" often means lots of beans, so I think we'll be eating
> lots of beans for a while. As far as meat goes, the only meat in the
> house is as follows: a few pounds of bacon; a couple pounds of lunchmeat
> (turkey breast); some chicken scraps for stock; a three-pound corned
> beef (a friend is coming by on Tuesday to help us eat that); and a dozen
> cans of tuna. We have a ton of garbanzos, pintos, and red beans, and
> about a pound and a half of medium cheddar.
>
> I have plenty of rice, bread flour, and pasta. I also have lots of
> lettuce for salads, plenty of onions and peppers, and a big bag of
> frozen veggies, so I'm good for vegetables for a few days, but then I'll
> have to buy more.
>
> (Monday, I made refried beans and we had burritos. Tuesday, we just had
> sandwiches. Wednesday, I made chili from red beans. Yesterday, I made a
> "tamale pie" from the leftover chili and some cornbread batter.)
>
> This is the current plan, but if you have ideas, I'm totally open to them.
>
> I'll put the stuff I have to buy in brackets.
>
> Tonight: Red beans and rice; salad [nothing]
> Saturday: Tuna casserole; salad [nothing]
> Sunday: Spaghetti with tomato sauce; salad [possibly salad greens or
> some vegetable to cook -- broccoli? zucchini? -- my frozen veggies are
> kind of Asian-ish, and don't really go with spaghetti.]
> Monday: Garbanzo curry with the frozen veggies and frozen peas; rice
> [nothing]
> Tuesday: Corned beef and cabbage [cabbage, potatoes]
> Wednesday: Grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup [onions/celery for
> making the soup]
> Thursday: Bean burritos [tortillas; tomatoes; onions; cilantro]

-Asian vegetables go very well with spaghetti; just dress the cooked
spaghetti with some soy sauce, vinegar (rice if you have it) and sesame
oil (if you have that). A little garlic and spring onions too.
-Weirdly enough always liked curries over pasta if there wasn't any rice
around.
-Beans can be dressed with a tarka/tadka: heat garlic, minced onion,
mustard seeds and some chile flakes in veg oil (or ghee) until the
mustard seeds pop. Pour over cooked lentils or beans.
-Quesadillas if you have tortillas or can make them; just need cheese.
-If you can make flat breads of some sort (roti eg), they can be filled
with curried beans/lentils.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

http://www.cookingbynumbers.com/search.html

"Serene Vannoy" > wrote in message
> As we are kinda broke right now (and will be for at least the next month
> or so -- we can pay our bills and stuff, but don't have a lot extra), I'm
> embarking on a project to use up stuff in the cupboards before buying
> extra foodstuffs, whenever possible. I'll still buy fresh veggies and
> stuff, of course, unless the money really runs out, but I'm going to try
> to use up the staples.
>
> For me, "staples" often means lots of beans, so I think we'll be eating
> lots of beans for a while. As far as meat goes, the only meat in the
> house is as follows: a few pounds of bacon; a couple pounds of lunchmeat
> (turkey breast); some chicken scraps for stock; a three-pound corned beef
> (a friend is coming by on Tuesday to help us eat that); and a dozen cans
> of tuna. We have a ton of garbanzos, pintos, and red beans, and about a
> pound and a half of medium cheddar.
>
> I have plenty of rice, bread flour, and pasta. I also have lots of
> lettuce for salads, plenty of onions and peppers, and a big bag of frozen
> veggies, so I'm good for vegetables for a few days, but then I'll have to
> buy more.
>
> (Monday, I made refried beans and we had burritos. Tuesday, we just had
> sandwiches. Wednesday, I made chili from red beans. Yesterday, I made a
> "tamale pie" from the leftover chili and some cornbread batter.)
>
> This is the current plan, but if you have ideas, I'm totally open to them.
>
> I'll put the stuff I have to buy in brackets.
>
> Tonight: Red beans and rice; salad [nothing]
> Saturday: Tuna casserole; salad [nothing]
> Sunday: Spaghetti with tomato sauce; salad [possibly salad greens or some
> vegetable to cook -- broccoli? zucchini? -- my frozen veggies are kind of
> Asian-ish, and don't really go with spaghetti.]
> Monday: Garbanzo curry with the frozen veggies and frozen peas; rice
> [nothing]
> Tuesday: Corned beef and cabbage [cabbage, potatoes]
> Wednesday: Grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup [onions/celery for
> making the soup]
> Thursday: Bean burritos [tortillas; tomatoes; onions; cilantro]
>
> --
> 42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue March '09!
> http://42magazine.com
>
> "But here's a handy hint: if your fabulous theory for ending war and all
> other human conflict will not survive an online argument with humourless
> feminists who are not afraid to throw rape around as an example, your
> theory needs work." -- Aqua, alt.polyamory

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Serene Vannoy" wrote

> I'm embarking on a project to use up stuff in the cupboards before buying
> extra foodstuffs, whenever possible. I'll still buy fresh veggies and
> stuff, of course, unless the money really runs out, but I'm going to try
> to use up the staples.

That is a relative constant for me. Not due to money, but due to military
moves. 26 years Navy and we've moved coast to coast over overseas several
times as you can guess.

Your staples match what I'd have handy except I dont always have bell
peppers (I dry some though so often have those).

To expand on what you have ideas of, consider things like rice dishes that
are sweetened with canned milk to make a sort of dessert with honey or brown
sugar (or molassis etc). I made one a few days ago with dried figs that was
similar to a 'bread pudding' but used rice. I also made a brown rice pie
with 1/2 a largish sweet yam, using rice for the base and some chinese 5
spice. I happened to have heavy whipping cream for it but i think condensed
milk would work too.

Rice balls are fun too. I make up a batch of sticky rice then pull out
varous seasonings I have handy (admittedly, you probably dont stock the same
japanese ones like dried plum etc). If you have any small 'sweet' red bean
cans, they work well. Use the juice in the can as part of the cooking water
for the rice. Make the rice 'sticky' (not separatist where each grain hates
the other and tries hard to stay separate). If you have any short grain or
medium grain, it will do this nicely.

(medium grain, 1 part rice, 2 parts water. Short grain, 1 part rice, 1.75
parts water).

Mix the sticky rice with a little chinese 5 spice (nutmeg, anise, cinnimon
will do in a pinch if you don't have that) and then the beans from a can
which need not even be heated. Roll into balls then sprinkle with whatever
is handy that matches your tastes. Good picks can be grated coconut (I
dislike this but many love it), candy sprinkles such as you may have for
cookies or kids cakes, brown sugar crushed up well to soft. Those are the
sweet types. I tend more to dried crushed shrimp, and dried seaweeds mixed
with dried purple plum. Call it cheap snacks (grin). Unless a diabetic,
suitable for most. Lower calorie and low fat too if dieting.

As another said, save the bacon fat. Now, ya got the makings for 'refritos'
(cooked beans mashed with fat) that can go in many things. Also, a little
can go a long way in a batch of bean soup though I'd add a ham hock of some
smoked pork bone neck bits (often here, less than 1$ a lb for smoked ham
hocks or neck bones). You need about 1 medium hock per 1 lb dry bean
weight. You *can* skip the hock totally and it will come out nicely but
will need to add extra spices for the flavor transport.

Save the fat from the corned beastie. Add that to the crockpot and add dry
beans. Save any bits of the corned beastie as well that may be left over and
add that. Add onions, garlic, black pepper (lots of black pepper. Lots and
lots). Now make pan soda bread with a little (1/4 cup) of that cheese and
come serving time, put a square of it in the bottom of a bowl and ladel the
bean pot over it. Serve with salad as you seem to have lots of lettuce
(which wont keep long).

Once the lettuce is no longer crispy and still usable (peel off any that is
gone 'off' too bad), add it to a pot on the stove with a little fat and make
braised lettuce with slivers of onion. Similar to pan fried cabbage, this
is a more delicate flavor so dont spice too heavily.

Lunches, if you have any tortillas left, take some of that leftover pan
fried lettuce and spread a little at the bottom, then add fresh cut slivers
of onions and some drained beans and rice. 1 slice of bacon along it and ya
got lunch.

You say you have turkey lunch meat? Take a slice and make long thinish
strips of it. Now take a cabbage and chop it fairly fine and mix with a
little minced onion and some mayo. Add a touch of brown mustard (can use
other types, I like chinese ones for example that are hot). If you have a
tortilla, you have the innerds of a wrap. If you dont, you have a salad.

Lots of ideas here. Kinda been there, done that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 3, 12:48*pm, Serene Vannoy > wrote:
> As we are kinda broke right now (and will be for at least the next month
> or so -- we can pay our bills and stuff, but don't have a lot extra),
> I'm embarking on a project to use up stuff in the cupboards before
> buying extra foodstuffs, whenever possible. I'll still buy fresh veggies
> and stuff, of course, unless the money really runs out, but I'm going to
> try to use up the staples.
>
> For me, "staples" often means lots of beans, so I think we'll be eating
> lots of beans for a while. *As far as meat goes, the only meat in the
> house is as follows: a few pounds of bacon; a couple pounds of lunchmeat
> (turkey breast); some chicken scraps for stock; a three-pound corned
> beef (a friend is coming by on Tuesday to help us eat that); and a dozen
> cans of tuna. *We have a ton of garbanzos, pintos, and red beans, and
> about a pound and a half of medium cheddar.
>
> I have plenty of rice, bread flour, and pasta. *I also have lots of
> lettuce for salads, plenty of onions and peppers, and a big bag of
> frozen veggies, so I'm good for vegetables for a few days, but then I'll
> have to buy more.
>
> (Monday, I made refried beans and we had burritos. Tuesday, we just had
> sandwiches. Wednesday, I made chili from red beans. Yesterday, I made a
> "tamale pie" from the leftover chili and some cornbread batter.)
>
> This is the current plan, but if you have ideas, I'm totally open to them..
>
> I'll put the stuff I have to buy in brackets.
>
> Tonight: Red beans and rice; salad [nothing]
> Saturday: *Tuna casserole; salad [nothing]
> Sunday: *Spaghetti with tomato sauce; salad [possibly salad greens or
> some vegetable to cook -- broccoli? zucchini? -- my frozen veggies are
> kind of Asian-ish, and don't really go with spaghetti.]
> Monday: Garbanzo curry with the frozen veggies and frozen peas; rice
> [nothing]
> Tuesday: Corned beef and cabbage [cabbage, potatoes]
> Wednesday: *Grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup [onions/celery for
> making the soup]
> Thursday: *Bean burritos [tortillas; tomatoes; onions; cilantro]
>
> --
> 42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue March '09!http://42magazine.com
>
> "But here's a handy hint: *if your fabulous theory for ending war and
> all other human conflict will not survive an online argument with
> humourless feminists who are not afraid to throw rape around as an
> example, your theory needs work." -- Aqua, alt.polyamory

We all go thru tough times and here are 2 of our cheeeepy recipes.

Hot Dog Soup(from my dear sweet Mother in Love)
Cut up a pound (or 2) of hotdogs, like pennies
1 - 2 onions rough diced
1 - 2 large cans of tomatoes, or diced tomatoes
Mashed potatoes, real or instant

Put the hotdogs and onion in large sauce pan and cook until onions are
translucent, then add tomatoes, salt & pepper.
Serve over hot mashed potatoes.

Easy Pasta Fazouli
2 cans of canellini beans(white kidney beans)
1 - 2 large cans of tomatoes, or diced tomatoes
Ditalini pasta noodles, also called tubetini, but any pasta will work
Parm and or Regiano cheese
1 - 2 small cans of tomato juice

Cook pasta & drain
Put beans & tomatoes in sauce pan, heat, adding abt 2 - 3 tbsp of
olive oil, italian seasoning, garlic powder, or fresh minced garlic,
dried hot pepper, and 1/4 c of cheese. Add tomato juice if soupier
consistancy is wanted. Simmer til flavors meld.(about 20 min) serve
over pasta and top with more cheese and hot pepper.
If there are leftovers, I package the pasta separately so it does not
absorb all the tomato sauce.

I know neither of these is 'gourmet'. They are both delicious and
healthy, and QUICK, which sometimes is paramount.

May prosperity overcome you and you have more than you can contain!!
Nan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 4, 11:44*am, Nan > wrote:
> [...]

> > Thursday: *Bean burritos [tortillas; tomatoes; onions; cilantro]

> > --
> > 42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue March '09!http://42magazine.com

> > "But here's a handy hint: *if your fabulous theory for ending war and
> > all other human conflict will not survive an online argument with
> > humourless feminists who are not afraid to throw rape around as an
> > example, your theory needs work." -- Aqua, alt.polyamory

> We all go thru tough times and here are 2 of our cheeeepy recipes.
>
> Hot Dog Soup(from my dear sweet Mother in Love)
> Cut up a pound (or 2) of hotdogs, like pennies
> 1 - 2 onions rough diced
> *1 - 2 large cans of tomatoes, or diced tomatoes
> Mashed potatoes, real or instant
>
> Put the hotdogs and onion in large sauce pan and cook until onions are
> translucent, then add tomatoes, salt & pepper.

Ewwww! I really should post a "recipe" for weenies with weenie water
gravy. I've never made it, and don't know the proportions, but it has
hot dogs boiled for a while, and the water is used with flour or
cornstarch as a thickener, and it has some milk or cream added. I bet
some South St. Louisans substituted Coffee Rich. That crap was very
popular around here in the '70s. My mother used to put it in her Dana
Brown Safari coffee, an awful local cheap coffee, which she brewed too
weak.

Hey, you could put the gravy on the instant mashed potatoes!

> Nan

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Nan > wrote:

> We all go thru tough times and here are 2 of our cheeeepy recipes.
>
> Hot Dog Soup(from my dear sweet Mother in Love)
> Cut up a pound (or 2) of hotdogs, like pennies
> 1 - 2 onions rough diced
> 1 - 2 large cans of tomatoes, or diced tomatoes
> Mashed potatoes, real or instant
>
> Put the hotdogs and onion in large sauce pan and cook until onions are
> translucent, then add tomatoes, salt & pepper.
> Serve over hot mashed potatoes.

I'd be more likely to serve that over steamed sliced cabbage.
Cabbage or kraut and hot dogs go well together imho!

But then again, potatoes also go well with cabbage. ;-d
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lin wrote:
> Serene Vannoy wrote:
>
>> This is the current plan, but if you have ideas, I'm totally open to
>> them.

> I saw bacon in your ingredients and immediately thought of a carbonara
> if you happen to have some Parmigiano-Reggiano hanging about. Then
> again, that cheddar cheese might be good too.
>
> --Lin (made a wonderful carbonara last week, so it's fresh in my mind
> still)

Oh, that's a good idea! I have a little chunk of Parmesan in the fridge,
and plenty of eggs and bacon yet.

Serene

--
42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue March '09!
http://42magazine.com

"But here's a handy hint: if your fabulous theory for ending war and
all other human conflict will not survive an online argument with
humourless feminists who are not afraid to throw rape around as an
example, your theory needs work." -- Aqua, alt.polyamory
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Zeppo wrote:
>> I'll put the stuff I have to buy in brackets.
>>
>> Tonight: Red beans and rice; salad [nothing]
>> Saturday: Tuna casserole; salad [nothing]
>> Sunday: Spaghetti with tomato sauce; salad [possibly salad greens or some
>> vegetable to cook -- broccoli? zucchini? -- my frozen veggies are kind of
>> Asian-ish, and don't really go with spaghetti.]
>> Monday: Garbanzo curry with the frozen veggies and frozen peas; rice
>> [nothing]
>> Tuesday: Corned beef and cabbage [cabbage, potatoes]
>> Wednesday: Grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup [onions/celery for
>> making the soup]
>> Thursday: Bean burritos [tortillas; tomatoes; onions; cilantro]

> Serene,
> Maybe for the next menu go-round for tuna you could do a tuna on pasta dish.
> Two of my favorites follow:
>
> TUNA, LEMON, AND CAPER SAUCE
>
> PASTA WITH TUNA AND OLIVES

Oh, those both sound great! The teenager won't eat them (doesn't like
fish), but hey, more for us. :-)

> I have a few others I really like as well. Let me know and I can post.

If it's not too much trouble, that would be great.

Serene

--
42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue March '09!
http://42magazine.com

"But here's a handy hint: if your fabulous theory for ending war and
all other human conflict will not survive an online argument with
humourless feminists who are not afraid to throw rape around as an
example, your theory needs work." -- Aqua, alt.polyamory
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene Vannoy wrote:
> As we are kinda broke right now (and will be for at least the next month
> or so -- we can pay our bills and stuff, but don't have a lot extra),
> I'm embarking on a project to use up stuff in the cupboards before
> buying extra foodstuffs, whenever possible. I'll still buy fresh veggies
> and stuff, of course, unless the money really runs out, but I'm going to
> try to use up the staples.

Just wanted to thank everyone for your suggestions. I read them all and
they were very helpful.

ObFood: Ben & Jerry's Coffee Heath Bar Crunch is my newest craze

Serene

--
42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue March '09!
http://42magazine.com

"But here's a handy hint: if your fabulous theory for ending war and
all other human conflict will not survive an online argument with
humourless feminists who are not afraid to throw rape around as an
example, your theory needs work." -- Aqua, alt.polyamory

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Serene Vannoy" > wrote in message
> Serene Vannoy wrote:
>> As we are kinda broke right now (and will be for at least the next month
>> or so -- we can pay our bills and stuff, but don't have a lot extra), I'm
>> embarking on a project to use up stuff in the cupboards before buying
>> extra foodstuffs, whenever possible. I'll still buy fresh veggies and
>> stuff, of course, unless the money really runs out, but I'm going to try
>> to use up the staples.

> Just wanted to thank everyone for your suggestions. I read them all and
> they were very helpful.
>
> ObFood: Ben & Jerry's Coffee Heath Bar Crunch is my newest craze
>
> Serene

Are things looking a little better for you now?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote:
> "Serene Vannoy" > wrote in message
>> Serene Vannoy wrote:
>>> As we are kinda broke right now (and will be for at least the next
>>> month or so -- we can pay our bills and stuff, but don't have a lot
>>> extra), I'm embarking on a project to use up stuff in the cupboards
>>> before buying extra foodstuffs, whenever possible. I'll still buy
>>> fresh veggies and stuff, of course, unless the money really runs out,
>>> but I'm going to try to use up the staples.

>> Just wanted to thank everyone for your suggestions. I read them all
>> and they were very helpful.
>>
>> ObFood: Ben & Jerry's Coffee Heath Bar Crunch is my newest craze
>>
>> Serene
>>

> Are things looking a little better for you now?

Things are rough but manageable; thanks for asking.

ObFood: Barbecue-chicken pizza, dipped in extra barbecue sauce.

Serene

--
42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue March '09!
http://42magazine.com

"But here's a handy hint: if your fabulous theory for ending war and
all other human conflict will not survive an online argument with
humourless feminists who are not afraid to throw rape around as an
example, your theory needs work." -- Aqua, alt.polyamory
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Serene Vannoy" > wrote
> Things are rough but manageable; thanks for asking.

A young mother who checks groceries somewhere I shop (can't recall where)
told me about this site, where you can get a lot of coupons and even lots
and lots of free stuff, so she said. I have not had time to really check it
out. I know you are out west, but I don't think it matters where you are.
Let me know if you check it out. I plan to soon.

http://www.frugalinvirginia.com/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:

> A young mother who checks groceries somewhere I shop (can't recall where)
> told me about this site, where you can get a lot of coupons and even lots
> and lots of free stuff, so she said. I have not had time to really check it
> out. I know you are out west, but I don't think it matters where you are.
> Let me know if you check it out. I plan to soon.
>
> http://www.frugalinvirginia.com/

Thanks.

Becca