Posted to rec.food.cooking
Serene Vannoy Serene Vannoy is offline

Default Project use-what-we-have

As we are kinda broke right now (and will be for at least the next month
or so -- we can pay our bills and stuff, but don't have a lot extra),
I'm embarking on a project to use up stuff in the cupboards before
buying extra foodstuffs, whenever possible. I'll still buy fresh veggies
and stuff, of course, unless the money really runs out, but I'm going to
try to use up the staples.

For me, "staples" often means lots of beans, so I think we'll be eating
lots of beans for a while. As far as meat goes, the only meat in the
house is as follows: a few pounds of bacon; a couple pounds of lunchmeat
(turkey breast); some chicken scraps for stock; a three-pound corned
beef (a friend is coming by on Tuesday to help us eat that); and a dozen
cans of tuna. We have a ton of garbanzos, pintos, and red beans, and
about a pound and a half of medium cheddar.

I have plenty of rice, bread flour, and pasta. I also have lots of
lettuce for salads, plenty of onions and peppers, and a big bag of
frozen veggies, so I'm good for vegetables for a few days, but then I'll
have to buy more.

(Monday, I made refried beans and we had burritos. Tuesday, we just had
sandwiches. Wednesday, I made chili from red beans. Yesterday, I made a
"tamale pie" from the leftover chili and some cornbread batter.)

This is the current plan, but if you have ideas, I'm totally open to them.

I'll put the stuff I have to buy in brackets.

Tonight: Red beans and rice; salad [nothing]
Saturday: Tuna casserole; salad [nothing]
Sunday: Spaghetti with tomato sauce; salad [possibly salad greens or
some vegetable to cook -- broccoli? zucchini? -- my frozen veggies are
kind of Asian-ish, and don't really go with spaghetti.]
Monday: Garbanzo curry with the frozen veggies and frozen peas; rice
[nothing]
Tuesday: Corned beef and cabbage [cabbage, potatoes]
Wednesday: Grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup [onions/celery for
making the soup]
Thursday: Bean burritos [tortillas; tomatoes; onions; cilantro]

--
42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue March '09!
http://42magazine.com

"But here's a handy hint: if your fabulous theory for ending war and
all other human conflict will not survive an online argument with
humourless feminists who are not afraid to throw rape around as an
example, your theory needs work." -- Aqua, alt.polyamory