Posted to rec.food.cooking
Arri London Arri London is offline

Default Project use-what-we-have

Serene Vannoy wrote:

> As we are kinda broke right now (and will be for at least the next month
> or so -- we can pay our bills and stuff, but don't have a lot extra),
> I'm embarking on a project to use up stuff in the cupboards before
> buying extra foodstuffs, whenever possible. I'll still buy fresh veggies
> and stuff, of course, unless the money really runs out, but I'm going to
> try to use up the staples.
>
> For me, "staples" often means lots of beans, so I think we'll be eating
> lots of beans for a while. As far as meat goes, the only meat in the
> house is as follows: a few pounds of bacon; a couple pounds of lunchmeat
> (turkey breast); some chicken scraps for stock; a three-pound corned
> beef (a friend is coming by on Tuesday to help us eat that); and a dozen
> cans of tuna. We have a ton of garbanzos, pintos, and red beans, and
> about a pound and a half of medium cheddar.
>
> I have plenty of rice, bread flour, and pasta. I also have lots of
> lettuce for salads, plenty of onions and peppers, and a big bag of
> frozen veggies, so I'm good for vegetables for a few days, but then I'll
> have to buy more.
>
> (Monday, I made refried beans and we had burritos. Tuesday, we just had
> sandwiches. Wednesday, I made chili from red beans. Yesterday, I made a
> "tamale pie" from the leftover chili and some cornbread batter.)
>
> This is the current plan, but if you have ideas, I'm totally open to them.
>
> I'll put the stuff I have to buy in brackets.
>
> Tonight: Red beans and rice; salad [nothing]
> Saturday: Tuna casserole; salad [nothing]
> Sunday: Spaghetti with tomato sauce; salad [possibly salad greens or
> some vegetable to cook -- broccoli? zucchini? -- my frozen veggies are
> kind of Asian-ish, and don't really go with spaghetti.]
> Monday: Garbanzo curry with the frozen veggies and frozen peas; rice
> [nothing]
> Tuesday: Corned beef and cabbage [cabbage, potatoes]
> Wednesday: Grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup [onions/celery for
> making the soup]
> Thursday: Bean burritos [tortillas; tomatoes; onions; cilantro]

-Asian vegetables go very well with spaghetti; just dress the cooked
spaghetti with some soy sauce, vinegar (rice if you have it) and sesame
oil (if you have that). A little garlic and spring onions too.
-Weirdly enough always liked curries over pasta if there wasn't any rice
around.
-Beans can be dressed with a tarka/tadka: heat garlic, minced onion,
mustard seeds and some chile flakes in veg oil (or ghee) until the
mustard seeds pop. Pour over cooked lentils or beans.
-Quesadillas if you have tortillas or can make them; just need cheese.
-If you can make flat breads of some sort (roti eg), they can be filled
with curried beans/lentils.