Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Blood oranges

Blood oranges are finally available in my city! I've got three. Any
suggestions for what to do with them?

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Miche wrote:
> Blood oranges are finally available in my city! I've got three. Any
> suggestions for what to do with them?

I try to make blood-orange jelly (which you would call what? jam? hm.)
whenever they're plentiful. (It's just certo citrus jelly with blood
oranges instead of (part of) the regular ones.)

Pics: http://pics.livejournal.com/serenejo...ic/000098wa/g5

Recipe: http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/recipes...lly-60900.aspx

Serene

--
42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue March '09!
http://42magazine.com

"But here's a handy hint: if your fabulous theory for ending war and
all other human conflict will not survive an online argument with
humourless feminists who are not afraid to throw rape around as an
example, your theory needs work." -- Aqua, alt.polyamory
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Miche > wrote in news:micheinnz-0556B4.18111029032009
@news.itconsult.net:

> Blood oranges are finally available in my city! I've got three. Any
> suggestions for what to do with them?
>
> Miche

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/20728/blood+orange+tart

or..... a custard lemon and BO version.......

http://www.nibbledish.com/people/ish...od-orange-tart

Now I want some citrusy tasting dessert....... with a cup of thick black
coffee!!

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Killfile all Google Groups posters.........

http://improve-usenet.org/

http://improve-usenet.org/filters_bg.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

We cannot forget blood orange juice and vodka. About a
1:4 or 1:6 ratio, chilled on ice, served up.

That one was taught to me by Ron, a bartender in San Diego.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Miche > wrote:

> Blood oranges are finally available in my city! I've got three. Any
> suggestions for what to do with them?

Peel the first one and eat it. I think the flesh is more decorative than
dazzling. Use the others for garnish or any way you'd eat an orange.
2 cents.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
PeterL > wrote:

> Miche > wrote in news:micheinnz-0556B4.18111029032009
> @news.itconsult.net:
>
> > Blood oranges are finally available in my city! I've got three. Any
> > suggestions for what to do with them?
> >
> > Miche
> >

> http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/20728/blood+orange+tart
>

> or..... a custard lemon and BO version.......
>

> http://www.nibbledish.com/people/ish...od-orange-tart
>

> Now I want some citrusy tasting dessert....... with a cup of thick black
> coffee!!

I'm just about to make the coffee ("one lump or two" means how much
coffee do you want, not how much sugar); the dessert will have to wait
until tomorrow.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Serene Vannoy > wrote:

> Miche wrote:
> > Blood oranges are finally available in my city! I've got three. Any
> > suggestions for what to do with them?

> I try to make blood-orange jelly (which you would call what? jam? hm.)

Probably marmalade, actually.

> whenever they're plentiful. (It's just certo citrus jelly with blood
> oranges instead of (part of) the regular ones.)
>
> Pics: http://pics.livejournal.com/serenejo...ic/000098wa/g5
>
> Recipe: http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/recipes...lly-60900.aspx

Thanks!

And thank you to everyone who's contributed so far!

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Miche wrote:
> In article >,
> Serene Vannoy > wrote:
>
>> Miche wrote:
>>> Blood oranges are finally available in my city! I've got three. Any
>>> suggestions for what to do with them?

>> I try to make blood-orange jelly (which you would call what? jam? hm.)

> Probably marmalade, actually.

In my lexicon, marmalade always has bits of the peel in it. What do you
call it when you make [jelly/whatever] out of clear liquid, as in, say,
grape juice?

Serene

--
42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue March '09!
http://42magazine.com

"But here's a handy hint: if your fabulous theory for ending war and
all other human conflict will not survive an online argument with
humourless feminists who are not afraid to throw rape around as an
example, your theory needs work." -- Aqua, alt.polyamory

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene Vannoy > wrote in news:738iqdFtjho8U11
@mid.individual.net:

> Miche wrote:
>> In article >,
>> Serene Vannoy > wrote:

>>> I try to make blood-orange jelly (which you would call what? jam? hm.)

>> Probably marmalade, actually.

> In my lexicon, marmalade always has bits of the peel in it. What do you
> call it when you make [jelly/whatever] out of clear liquid, as in, say,
> grape juice?

I'm not Miche (obviously :-)), just butting in here.Technically it would be
a jelly but I think most people in Australia (not sure about NZ) would
probably just call it jam. Thing is, it's not something you see very often
here. The only "jellies" of this sort I see regularly on the supermarket
shelf would be mint jelly and redcurrant jelly - both used in a savoury
way. Otherwise the word "jelly" usually refers to a flavoured gelatine
based dessert (US Jello).

At one stage one of the companies marketed a product they called "jelly
jam" which was aimed at kids.Don't know if it's still around.Other than
that it's pretty much all jams, conserves and marmalades - all made from
whole fruit.

We also tend only to use grapes for eating fresh, drying (sultanas,
raisins) or wine making. You can buy grape juice (shelf stable variety -
don't think I've ever seen fresh) but have never ever seen a grape jelly or
jam. Don't have grape flavoured soft drink (soda) either.

--
Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

Core of my heart, my country! Land of the rainbow gold,
For flood and fire and famine she pays us back threefold.
My Country, Dorothea MacKellar, 1904

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Serene Vannoy > wrote:

> Miche wrote:
> > In article >,
> > Serene Vannoy > wrote:

> >> I try to make blood-orange jelly (which you would call what? jam? hm.)

> > Probably marmalade, actually.

> In my lexicon, marmalade always has bits of the peel in it. What do you
> call it when you make [jelly/whatever] out of clear liquid, as in, say,
> grape juice?

Um, we don't make jelly out of grape juice.

If you're talking about clear preserves made of juice, then the thing
you're looking for is jelly.

However, grape jelly is almost unknown here.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Miche" wrote:

> Blood oranges are finally available in my city! I've got three. Any
> suggestions for what to do with them?

All you have is three you make your mouth happy eating them as is.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> GUEST wrote:
> Blood oranges are finally available in my city! I've got three.

Any
> suggestions for what to do with them?
>
> Miche
>
> --
> Electricians do it in three phases

blood oranges > *

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Miche wrote:
>
>>Blood oranges are finally available in my city! I've got three. Any
>>suggestions for what to do with them?
>>
>>Miche

Mojo Sauce?

Though traditionally made with 'bitter oranges' i have yet to find any
available in my area.

Mojo (Cuban Marinade)

Jorge: There are many variations of mojo. It is the signature marinade
of Cuba
and it finds its way into many different dishes.

Raœl: Many mojos do not include oil. When you are roasting a pig, the
oil is not
necessary -- there's plenty of fat in the pig!

Glenn: However, for chicken, fish, beef, and so on, a mojo with oil will
help
prevent the meat from drying out in the marinade.

Raœl: Cubans also call mojo by its diminutive -- "mojito." This can be
confusing
to some, because there is a drink of the same name.

Jorge: With oil or without, the key element is sour orange, an almost
bitter orange
that grows throughout Cuba. Many Cubans brought the sour orange to South
Florida,
where it also flourishes.

Mojo Sauce

Ingredients

Garlic Cloves
Salt
Black peppercorns (whole)
Oregano
Sour orange juice
(In a pinch, use two parts orange to one part lemon and one part lime)
The key to making mojo is in the proportions. The nice thing is that you
can make
exactly the amount you need.

For a pig, we use four or five large HEADS of garlic! That's
approximately 70 to 80
cloves.

Use a mortar and pestle. Add approximately ten cloves of garlic, 1/2
teaspoon salt,
some black peppercorns, and some oregano. Mash them all together into a
paste.
Scoop the paste out into a separate bowl. Continue this process until
all of the
garlic (all five heads) is mashed.

Stir in sour orange juice. (Five heads of garlic should be added to
about 1 quart
of sour orange juice to make a mojo for a whole pig.) Let sit at room
temperature
for 30 minutes or longer. Use immediately to season the pig or
refrigerate for
later use.

Mojo With Oil

Ingredients

3 heads garlic
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon black peppercorns
1 1/2 cups sour orange juice
(In a pinch, use two parts orange to one part lemon and one part lime)
1 cup minced onion
2 teaspoons oregano
1 cup Spanish olive oil
Mash garlic, salt, and peppercorns into a paste, using a mortar and
pestle. Stir in sour orange juice, onion, and oregano. Let sit at room
temperature for 30 minutes or longer.

In a saucepan, heat olive oil to medium hot (approximately 280 degrees
F) and

remove from heat. Carefully whisk in the garlic-orange juice mixture
(prepared

above) until well blended.

http://icuban.com/food/mojo.html
With yucca and lime
http://icuban.com/food/yuca_con_ajo.html
--
JL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Rhonda Anderson wrote:

> I'm not Miche (obviously :-)), just butting in here.Technically it would be
> a jelly but I think most people in Australia (not sure about NZ) would
> probably just call it jam. Thing is, it's not something you see very often
> here. The only "jellies" of this sort I see regularly on the supermarket
> shelf would be mint jelly and redcurrant jelly - both used in a savoury
> way. Otherwise the word "jelly" usually refers to a flavoured gelatine
> based dessert (US Jello).
>
> At one stage one of the companies marketed a product they called "jelly
> jam" which was aimed at kids.Don't know if it's still around.Other than
> that it's pretty much all jams, conserves and marmalades - all made from
> whole fruit.
>
> We also tend only to use grapes for eating fresh, drying (sultanas,
> raisins) or wine making. You can buy grape juice (shelf stable variety -
> don't think I've ever seen fresh) but have never ever seen a grape jelly or
> jam. Don't have grape flavoured soft drink (soda) either.

So interesting. Thanks for the info!

Serene

--
42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue March '09!
http://42magazine.com

"But here's a handy hint: if your fabulous theory for ending war and
all other human conflict will not survive an online argument with
humourless feminists who are not afraid to throw rape around as an
example, your theory needs work." -- Aqua, alt.polyamory
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Miche wrote:
> In article >,
> Serene Vannoy > wrote:
>
>> Miche wrote:

>>> Probably marmalade, actually.

>> In my lexicon, marmalade always has bits of the peel in it. What do you
>> call it when you make [jelly/whatever] out of clear liquid, as in, say,
>> grape juice?

> Um, we don't make jelly out of grape juice.

Well, okey-dokey then. :-)

> If you're talking about clear preserves made of juice, then the thing
> you're looking for is jelly.
>
> However, grape jelly is almost unknown here.

It's the standard peanut-butter-and-jelly thing where I've lived, but I
hate peanut-butter-and-jelly, and grape jelly in particular, so I think
that's another reason I should move to NZ. :-)

Serene

--
42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue March '09!
http://42magazine.com

"But here's a handy hint: if your fabulous theory for ending war and
all other human conflict will not survive an online argument with
humourless feminists who are not afraid to throw rape around as an
example, your theory needs work." -- Aqua, alt.polyamory
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Serene Vannoy > wrote:

> Miche wrote:
> > In article >,
> > Serene Vannoy > wrote:

> >> In my lexicon, marmalade always has bits of the peel in it. What do you
> >> call it when you make [jelly/whatever] out of clear liquid, as in, say,
> >> grape juice?

> > Um, we don't make jelly out of grape juice.

> Well, okey-dokey then. :-)

It's a quirk. We usually don't drink it, either, except as a wine
subsitute.

> > If you're talking about clear preserves made of juice, then the thing
> > you're looking for is jelly.
> >
> > However, grape jelly is almost unknown here.

> It's the standard peanut-butter-and-jelly thing where I've lived, but I
> hate peanut-butter-and-jelly, and grape jelly in particular, so I think
> that's another reason I should move to NZ. :-)

Excellent.

My favourite jam to go with peanut butter is raspberry.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Joseph Littleshoes > wrote:

> > Miche wrote:
> >
> >>Blood oranges are finally available in my city! I've got three. Any
> >>suggestions for what to do with them?
> >>
> >>Miche
> >>

> Mojo Sauce?
>
> Though traditionally made with 'bitter oranges' i have yet to find any
> available in my area.

That sounds really interesting. Thanks!

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Bobo Bonobo® > wrote:

> On Mar 29, 12:11*am, Miche > wrote:
> > Blood oranges are finally available in my city! *I've got three. *Any
> > suggestions for what to do with them?

> Ever have Cara Cara oranges? Delicious.

Nope.

We've only just started seeing blood oranges here.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Miche > wrote:

> Bobo Bonobo® > wrote:

>> Ever have Cara Cara oranges? Delicious.

>Nope.

>We've only just started seeing blood oranges here.

You're in luck. Cara Cara oranges are tinted and pretty,
but random-tasting. Blood oranges, by that I mean Moro blood
oranges, the only true blood orange, much much darker and
more flavourful, are the real deal.

(Always here with an opinion....)

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney > wrote:

>Christine, dreaming of California produce.

You're not going to have to dream too long, are you .... ?

S.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney" ha scritto nel messaggio
Miche > wrote:
>>> Ever have Cara Cara oranges? Delicious.

>>We've only just started seeing blood oranges here.
>>
>>Miche

> What did you do with them?
>
> Christine

You can eat them or juice them like any orange, but they can be more
interesting for cooking, since they are usually a bit tarter and spicier.
That said, there are several blood oranges available, each having it's own
season, so the result is different from one to the other.

Try making a sauce for fish in the cooking pan using the flesh and a bit of
grated rind. Onion works with that. Or very briefly bake some butterflied
sardines on a bit of minced garlic (if you overdo this you will have ruined
good food) and squeeze the juice over before putting it into a hot oven.

Blood oranges may be marginally more intersting in salads like onion and
orange, try adding some beet julienne. Thing is, as we have learned over
the years, it isn't just the breed that counts, but also the climate and how
the trees are managed. I have never had a US blood orange, so I don't know
what they are like.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Miche said...

> Honeybells are tangeloes, aren't they?

Honeybells are tangerines. I only get them in March.

They make the absolute best orange juice! Nothing else compares!!!

Imho,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy > wrote:

> Miche said...
>
> > Honeybells are tangeloes, aren't they?

> Honeybells are tangerines. I only get them in March.

Ah, regional differences. I've only ever heard them called tangeloes.

> They make the absolute best orange juice! Nothing else compares!!!

Over here in NZ we don't make "orange juice" out of things that we don't
refer to as oranges. That includes tangeloes, tangerines (when we can
get 'em), or mandarins/satsumas.

Miche (lovin' dialectical differences)

--
Electricians do it in three phases

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Christine Dabney > wrote:

> On Fri, 03 Apr 2009 19:31:26 +1300, Miche >
> wrote:
>
> >In article
> >,
> > Bobo Bonobo® > wrote:

> >> Ever have Cara Cara oranges? Delicious.

> >Nope.
> >
> >We've only just started seeing blood oranges here.
> >
> >Miche

> What did you do with them?

Nothing, so far. I'll probably end up juicing one or two and/or eating
them out of hand.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Giusi" > wrote:

> >>We've only just started seeing blood oranges here.
> >>
> >>Miche

> > What did you do with them?
> >
> > Christine

> You can eat them or juice them like any orange, but they can be more
> interesting for cooking, since they are usually a bit tarter and spicier.
> That said, there are several blood oranges available, each having it's own
> season, so the result is different from one to the other.
>
> Try making a sauce for fish in the cooking pan using the flesh and a bit of
> grated rind. Onion works with that. Or very briefly bake some butterflied
> sardines on a bit of minced garlic (if you overdo this you will have ruined
> good food) and squeeze the juice over before putting it into a hot oven.

Oh, man. This sounds like a great idea.

> Blood oranges may be marginally more intersting in salads like onion and
> orange, try adding some beet julienne. Thing is, as we have learned over
> the years, it isn't just the breed that counts, but also the climate and how
> the trees are managed. I have never had a US blood orange, so I don't know
> what they are like.

These ones are from the US. Huh. I'd have thought thought the far
north of NZ would be warm enough to grow 'em.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Miche said...

> In article >, Andy > wrote:
>
>> Miche said...
>>
>> > Honeybells are tangeloes, aren't they?

>> Honeybells are tangerines. I only get them in March.

> Ah, regional differences. I've only ever heard them called tangeloes.
>
>> They make the absolute best orange juice! Nothing else compares!!!

> Over here in NZ we don't make "orange juice" out of things that we don't
> refer to as oranges. That includes tangeloes, tangerines (when we can
> get 'em), or mandarins/satsumas.
>
> Miche (lovin' dialectical differences)

Hi Miche,

Do you juice kiwis?

I'm tempted to try to. :-)

Best,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy > wrote:

> Miche said...
>
> > In article >, Andy > wrote:
> >
> >> Miche said...

> >> Honeybells are tangerines. I only get them in March.

> > Ah, regional differences. I've only ever heard them called tangeloes.
> >
> >> They make the absolute best orange juice! Nothing else compares!!!

> > Over here in NZ we don't make "orange juice" out of things that we don't
> > refer to as oranges. That includes tangeloes, tangerines (when we can
> > get 'em), or mandarins/satsumas.
> >
> > Miche (lovin' dialectical differences)

> Do you juice kiwis?
>
> I'm tempted to try to. :-)

They have a hell of a kick on them, for a chicken-sized bird.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:
> I have never had a US blood orange, so I don't know
> what they are like.

I've never had a good one in the US. Nothing at all compared to the ones
we used to get in Europe. I don't know if it is a shipping issue or
growing one, but they never seem as sweet or juicy here.

The first time I purchased them while living in Germany, I didn't
realize what I had. I was cutting one up for the kids and when I looked
down and saw the juice on the cutting board I jumped thinking I'd cut
myself and hadn't realized it? I kept looking at my fingers looking for
the wound! LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba" ha scritto nel messaggio
> Giusi wrote:
>> I have never had a US blood orange, so I don't know >> what they are
>> like.

> I've never had a good one in the US. Nothing at all compared to the ones >
> we used to get in Europe. I don't know if it is a shipping issue or >
> growing one, but they never seem as sweet or juicy here.

While some are sweet, what I mainly find different about them is that many
are more acid and spicy than oranges. I believe that all of them sold here
are from Sicily, unless you live in orange land, which I do not.

Similarly, there are lemons that are so different form the norm that certain
dishes can only happen when they are in season. Lemon Rice is one dish that
can be made both seasons, but it's like a different dish from Sorrento
lemons to other lemons.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> Miche said...
>

>> Honeybells are tangeloes, aren't they?
>>

> Honeybells are tangerines. I only get them in March.
>
> They make the absolute best orange juice! Nothing else compares!!!
>
> Imho,
>
> Andy

Mine are delivered in January or February. I was told they are only
available for about 4 weeks out of the year. :-(

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:

> Andy wrote:
> > Miche said...
> >

> > > Honeybells are tangeloes, aren't they?
> >>

> > Honeybells are tangerines. I only get them in March.

They are tangelos. Specifically it's the Minneola tangelo, a cross
between Duncan grapefruit and Dancy tangerine.

> Mine are delivered in January or February. I was told they are only
> available for about 4 weeks out of the year. :-(

The Florida ones (superior in my estimation) become available usually
around the start of January and last about 4-6 weeks. The California
ones have a longer season. They are available currently in our
supermarkets.

Off-season ones from other parts of the world are available at various
times of the year.

Brian

--
Day 59 of the "no grouchy usenet posts" project

I just ate three oranges John Kuthe[_2_] General Cooking 18 15-02-2010 06:37 PM
What I did with the blood oranges Miche[_3_] General Cooking 8 05-04-2009 07:15 PM
oranges werwiniskp Baking 0 27-03-2009 07:53 AM
How To Stimulate your Body's Natural Insulin and Reduce Blood Glucose Levels. Glucosium's natural ingredients can help control blood sugar, stimulate your body's insulin production, limit nerve damage and much more. posh Diabetic 1 17-01-2006 02:48 AM
Blood Sauce Blood gerald Wine 12 02-02-2004 05:03 PM