Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I just ate three oranges

I think they were juice oranges. Is there such a thing?

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"John Kuthe" > wrote in message
|I think they were juice oranges. Is there such a thing?
|
| John Kuthe...

Yup. Juice oranges are usually valencia, from florida. the california
navals are pithier, having more stuff to chew and less juice, they
are eating oranges. navals easier to peel, thicker skin; valencia
more difficult to peel, thinner skin. all in all i like tangerines.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"pavane" > wrote in message
news

> "John Kuthe" > wrote in message
> |I think they were juice oranges. Is there such a thing?
> |
> | John Kuthe...
>
> Yup. Juice oranges are usually valencia, from florida. the california
> navals are pithier, having more stuff to chew and less juice, they
> are eating oranges. navals easier to peel, thicker skin; valencia
> more difficult to peel, thinner skin. all in all i like tangerines.
>
> pavane

Are you able to say what the main difference is between tangerines and
clemantines?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 11, 8:26*pm, "pavane" > wrote:
> "John Kuthe" > wrote in message

> |I think they were juice oranges. Is there such a thing?
> |
> | John Kuthe...
>
> Yup. *Juice oranges are usually valencia, from florida. *the california
> navals are pithier, having more stuff to chew and less juice, they
> are eating oranges. *navals easier to peel, thicker skin; valencia
> more difficult to peel, thinner skin. *all in all i like tangerines.
>
> pavane

Honeybells are the best.

The title of this thread brings to mind "The Love of Three Oranges" (I
THINK that's the title) by Prokofiev - one of the themes was used in
an old battery commercial in the fifties. Anyone remember what that
brand was? (Trivia question, guys.)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 11, 7:11*pm, John Kuthe > wrote:
> I think they were juice oranges. Is there such a thing?
>
> John Kuthe...

Feeling ill or poisoned??

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"john bently" > wrote in message

| "pavane" > wrote in message
| news | >
| > "John Kuthe" > wrote in message
| > |I think they were juice oranges. Is there such a thing?
| > |
| > | John Kuthe...
| >
| > Yup. Juice oranges are usually valencia, from florida. the california
| > navals are pithier, having more stuff to chew and less juice, they
| > are eating oranges. navals easier to peel, thicker skin; valencia
| > more difficult to peel, thinner skin. all in all i like tangerines.
| >
| > pavane
|
| Are you able to say what the main difference is between tangerines and
| clemantines?

I had no idea except that they are pretty much the same size and
both peel easily. According to Wikipedia the clementine is a variant
of mandarin orange, first identified in 1906, and is known as the
seedless tangerine. They are all pretty intermixed, apparently.
Yesterday I bought some mercotts, which are described as very sweet
tangerines...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clementine

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 06:35:49 -0800 (PST), itsjoannotjoann
> wrote:

> On Feb 11, 7:11*pm, John Kuthe > wrote:
> > I think they were juice oranges. Is there such a thing?
> >
> > John Kuthe...
> >

> Feeling ill or poisoned??

He was probably surprised by how juicy they were.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 11, 8:26�pm, "pavane" > wrote:
> "John Kuthe" > wrote in message

> |I think they were juice oranges. Is there such a thing?
> |
> | John Kuthe...
>
> Yup. �Juice oranges are usually valencia, from florida. �the california
> navals are pithier, having more stuff to chew and less juice, they
> are eating oranges. �navals easier to peel, thicker skin; valencia
> more difficult to peel, thinner skin. �all in all i like tangerines.
>
> pavane

I love oranges but I hate tangerines.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

pavane wrote:

> "John Kuthe" > wrote in message
> |I think they were juice oranges. Is there such a thing?
>
> Yup. Juice oranges are usually valencia, from florida. the california
> navals are pithier, having more stuff to chew and less juice, they
> are eating oranges. navals easier to peel, thicker skin; valencia
> more difficult to peel, thinner skin. all in all i like tangerines.

They are called "navel" oranges, because they have a navel.
You are correct that Florida grows juice oranges and
California grows mostly table oranges (oranges marketed
as fruit, hence for use on the table). The juice of
navel oranges separates, hence they aren't often used
for juice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 06:35:49 -0800 (PST), itsjoannotjoann wrote:

> On Feb 11, 7:11*pm, John Kuthe > wrote:
>> I think they were juice oranges. Is there such a thing?
>>
>> John Kuthe...

> Feeling ill or poisoned??

just juiced.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 11, 5:11*pm, John Kuthe > wrote:
> I think they were juice oranges. Is there such a thing?
>
> John Kuthe...

Such a thing as what...you eating them or juice oranges?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 12, 12:53*pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> pavane wrote:
>
> > "John Kuthe" > wrote in message
> > |I think they were juice oranges. Is there such a thing?

> > Yup. *Juice oranges are usually valencia, from florida. *the california
> > navals are pithier, having more stuff to chew and less juice, they
> > are eating oranges. *navals easier to peel, thicker skin; valencia
> > more difficult to peel, thinner skin. *all in all i like tangerines.

> They are called "navel" oranges, because they have a navel.
> You are correct that Florida grows juice oranges and
> California grows mostly table oranges (oranges marketed
> as fruit, hence for use on the table). *The juice of
> navel oranges separates, hence they aren't often used
> for juice.

I like juice made from Cali navel oranges much better than the juice
from Valencias. Three words, Little Pro Plus.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> Food > wrote:

>> .

>> rnia

>>> They are called "navel" oranges, because they have a navel.
>>> You are correct that Florida grows juice oranges and
>>> California grows mostly table oranges (oranges marketed
>>> as fruit, hence for use on the table). The juice of
>>> navel oranges separates, hence they aren't often used
>>> for juice.
>>>

>> I like juice made from Cali navel oranges much better than the juice
>> from Valencias. Three words, Little Pro Plus.
>>
>> --Bryan
>>

> Right about now or March the Florida "Honeybelle" tangerines should be at
> the produce market. Much better juice yield, sweeter and orangier than
> navel oranges. They're only in season for about a month.
>
> Andy

We just bought a bag. They are the best! Low acidity and a great flavor.

Bruce

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 13, 4:45*pm, Andy > wrote:
> Bruce > wrote:
> > Andy wrote:

> .

> >> Right about now or March the Florida "Honeybelle" tangerines should
> >> be at the produce market. Much better juice yield, sweeter and
> >> orangier than navel oranges. They're only in season for about a
> >> month.

> >> Andy

> > We just bought a bag. *They are the best! *Low acidity and a great
> > flavor.

> > Bruce

> Bruce,
>
> Glad you agree!
>
> If I wasn't under a mountain of snow, I'd be having some too!
>
> Best,
>
> Andy

Get off your ass, get the shovel and shovel away the snow, ya BUM!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 12, 8:20*am, Kalmia > wrote:
> The title of this thread brings to mind "The Love of Three Oranges" (I
> THINK that's the title) *by Prokofiev - one of the themes was used in
> an old battery commercial in the fifties. *Anyone remember what that
> brand was? *(Trivia question, guys.)

What about that piece by Satie ? I can't remember the exact title,
but it's an instrumental them used by "Blood, Sweat & Tears on one of
their "best of . . ." albums. It has "three oranges" in the title.
It's quite haunting..

As for oranges, the big California navels are down to less than a buck
per lb. I, however, am going broke buying a variety called "Cara
Cara" at $1.98/lb. They are PINK inside! Like a very small
grapefruit. Boy are they pretty and boy are they SWEET! Anybody else
eating these?

Lynn in Fargo

Pineapple oranges. werwiniskp General Cooking 0 13-04-2009 04:29 PM
Hamlin oranges. werwiniskp General Cooking 0 13-04-2009 04:29 PM
Blood oranges Miche[_3_] General Cooking 33 03-04-2009 09:21 PM
oranges werwiniskp Baking 0 27-03-2009 07:53 AM
Seville Oranges Dave Smith[_1_] General Cooking 11 24-02-2007 11:25 PM