Old 19-03-2009, 04:59 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Deadly spider in Whole Foods

The world's deadliest spider found in a Tulsa grocery store. An
employee at Whole Foods Market at 1401 East 41st Street found a
Brazilian Wandering Spider wandering around in their produce section.

The store handed the spider over to biologists at the University of
Tulsa who say that employee is lucky to be alive.
It's being kept in a terrarium with a do not disturb sign. More
people die from the spider's bite than any other spider in the world.

"Within minutes you will have breathing problems, you'll start to lose
control of your muscles, you'll start to drool and within 20 to 25
minutes you'll probably collapse on the floor and die of
asphyxiation," said Terry Childs.

More he http://www.newson6.com/global/story.asp?s=10025233
--

modom

Old 19-03-2009, 03:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 18, 10:59*pm, "modom (palindrome guy)"
wrote:
The world's deadliest spider found in a Tulsa grocery store. *An
employee at Whole Foods Market at 1401 East 41st Street found a
Brazilian Wandering Spider wandering around in their produce section.

The store handed the spider over to biologists at the University of
Tulsa who say that employee is lucky to be alive.
It's being kept in a terrarium with a do not disturb sign. *More
people die from the spider's bite than any other spider in the world.

"Within minutes you will have breathing problems, you'll start to lose
control of your muscles, you'll start to drool and within 20 to 25
minutes you'll probably collapse on the floor and die of
asphyxiation," said Terry Childs.

More hehttp://www.newson6.com/global/story.asp?s=10025233
--

modom

==========================
KILLIT DAMMIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lynn in Fargo
(Not far enough from Tulsa!)
Old 19-03-2009, 03:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 19, 12:59*am, "modom (palindrome guy)"
wrote:
The world's deadliest spider found in a Tulsa grocery store. *An
employee at Whole Foods Market at 1401 East 41st Street found a
Brazilian Wandering Spider wandering around in their produce section.

The store handed the spider over to biologists at the University of
Tulsa who say that employee is lucky to be alive.
It's being kept in a terrarium with a do not disturb sign. *More
people die from the spider's bite than any other spider in the world.

"Within minutes you will have breathing problems, you'll start to lose
control of your muscles, you'll start to drool and within 20 to 25
minutes you'll probably collapse on the floor and die of
asphyxiation," said Terry Childs.

More hehttp://www.newson6.com/global/story.asp?s=10025233
--

modom

But was it organic? It WAS in Whole Foods!

Kris
Old 19-03-2009, 04:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-03-19, modom (palindrome guy) wrote:
The world's deadliest spider found in a Tulsa grocery store. An
employee at Whole Foods Market.....

Like I needed one more excuse to not shop at Whole Paycheck. No doubt it
was an "organic" spider.

nb
Old 19-03-2009, 05:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-03-19, modom (palindrome guy) wrote:
The world's deadliest spider found in a Tulsa grocery store. An
employee at Whole Foods Market.....

Like I needed one more excuse to not shop at Whole Paycheck. No doubt it
was an "organic" spider.

And imported via fair trade. That place irritates me too, but D kinda
likes it. Other than that, she's alright.
--

modom

Old 19-03-2009, 05:47 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 16:26:52 GMT in rec.food.cooking, notbob
wrote,
On 2009-03-19, modom (palindrome guy) wrote:
The world's deadliest spider found in a Tulsa grocery store. An
employee at Whole Foods Market.....

Like I needed one more excuse to not shop at Whole Paycheck. No doubt it
was an "organic" spider.

Seems to me that calls for a good shot of insecticide.

Old 19-03-2009, 06:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

David Harmon said...

On 2009-03-19, modom (palindrome guy) wrote:
The world's deadliest spider found in a Tulsa grocery store. An
employee at Whole Foods Market.....

Like I needed one more excuse to not shop at Whole Paycheck. No doubt it
was an "organic" spider.

Seems to me that calls for a good shot of insecticide.

I was bitten by a black widow on the way to work on a Los Angeles public
bus! It crawled onto my hand that I had resting on the window sill. I saw
it on my hand and shook it off but it stuck (biting me). The second shake
got rid of it. I didn't see where it landed so it might've gone on to bite
others.

About 30 minutes later at work I was dizzy'd and dry heaving to death. Kept
me in bed for four days straight. As long as I didn't move all was fine but
so much as move a finger and the whole world spun around and around. I
crawled in agony just to get to the bathroom.

Luckily I was in the prime of life or I might've died.

I wasn't 100% recovered for two weeks.

Andy
Old 19-03-2009, 07:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"modom (palindrome guy)" wrote in message
The world's deadliest spider found in a Tulsa grocery store. An
employee at Whole Foods Market at 1401 East 41st Street found a
Brazilian Wandering Spider wandering around in their produce section.

The store handed the spider over to biologists at the University of
Tulsa who say that employee is lucky to be alive.
It's being kept in a terrarium with a do not disturb sign. More
people die from the spider's bite than any other spider in the world.

"Within minutes you will have breathing problems, you'll start to lose
control of your muscles, you'll start to drool and within 20 to 25
minutes you'll probably collapse on the floor and die of
asphyxiation," said Terry Childs.

More he http://www.newson6.com/global/story.asp?s=10025233
--

modom

You can count on Whole Foods to have that hard to find item!
DP

Old 19-03-2009, 09:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

modom (palindrome guy) wrote:
The world's deadliest spider found in a Tulsa grocery store. An
employee at Whole Foods Market at 1401 East 41st Street found a
Brazilian Wandering Spider wandering around in their produce section.

The store handed the spider over to biologists at the University of
Tulsa who say that employee is lucky to be alive.
It's being kept in a terrarium with a do not disturb sign. More
people die from the spider's bite than any other spider in the world.

"Within minutes you will have breathing problems, you'll start to lose
control of your muscles, you'll start to drool and within 20 to 25
minutes you'll probably collapse on the floor and die of
asphyxiation," said Terry Childs.

More he http://www.newson6.com/global/story.asp?s=10025233
--

modom

So that's how things are done on the mainland. Over here, when we see
big hairy cane spiders, we'll hunt it down and kill it or put it in a
jar. Since we got the dog, we'll just have Kina do all the work. What
would prompt a person to take a spider to a university? That seems odd
to me. No spiders in Oklahoma?
Old 19-03-2009, 10:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
[...]

-------------

GM replies:

My mom told that when she was kid in the 20's, store owners would sometimes
find tarantulas in the big bunches of bananas they received...this was in
the rural Midwest.

The owner's kid would sometime put it in a jar, take it to school, and
charge 2 cents for other kids to see it...

--
Best
Greg

Old 19-03-2009, 10:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

So that's how things are done on the mainland. Over here, when we see
big hairy cane spiders, we'll hunt it down and kill it or put it in a
jar. Since we got the dog, we'll just have Kina do all the work. What
would prompt a person to take a spider to a university?

Probably for help in identification of the spider.

That seems odd
to me. No spiders in Oklahoma?

Tarantulas are pretty common, and some nasty spiders. But if one is
unusual to the area it is noteworthy enough to let others see it to
learn about it.
Old 20-03-2009, 04:59 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message
news:[email protected] net...
modom (palindrome guy) wrote:
[...]

What island you stay?

--
Aloha Nui Loa,
TFM®

Old 20-03-2009, 05:19 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

TFM® wrote:

What island you stay?

I'm in Kaneohe on Oahu. It's been a funny month. It's been quite cool
and it's generally agreed that there's never been such low temperatures
in memory. We had ferry service between Oahu and Maui for about a year
and now that service has ended - maybe for good. That's typical for me -
I've been wanting to ride that superferry since it started and now it's
too late. :-(
Old 20-03-2009, 05:28 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:
dsi1 wrote:

So that's how things are done on the mainland. Over here, when we see
big hairy cane spiders, we'll hunt it down and kill it or put it in a
jar. Since we got the dog, we'll just have Kina do all the work. What
would prompt a person to take a spider to a university?

Probably for help in identification of the spider.

It just seems to be such an unusual thing to do. Oddly enough, I've done
that when my daughter thought she may have been bitten by a spider. I
thought it might have been a black widow. Instead it was probably some
type of brown recluse spider but the experts weren't sure.

That seems odd
to me. No spiders in Oklahoma?

Tarantulas are pretty common, and some nasty spiders. But if one is
unusual to the area it is noteworthy enough to let others see it to
learn about it.

Tarantulas? Let me know where you live so I know what state to not set
foot in. Tarantulas, snakes and gators are a deal breaker for me. :-)
Old 20-03-2009, 06:39 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Lin Lin is offline

dsi1 wrote:

It just seems to be such an unusual thing to do. Oddly enough, I've done
that when my daughter thought she may have been bitten by a spider. I
thought it might have been a black widow. Instead it was probably some
type of brown recluse spider but the experts weren't sure.

This just in:

Spider scare in Tulsa spins web of confusion
BY SHANNON MUCHMORE - Tulsa World
Published: March 20, 2009

TULSA — A spider that was found in a Tulsa grocery store and originally
was thought to be deadly was probably of a harmless species, two experts
said.The spider was taken to the University of Tulsa on Sunday, where
animal facilities manager Terry Childs identified it as a Brazilian
wandering spider, one of the most lethal.

After the spider gained media attention Wednesday, Barry Downer, the
curator of aquariums and herpetology at the Tulsa Zoo, said video and
photos he had seen of the spider led him to believe it was a huntsman
spider, which is harmless to humans.

Childs said he destroyed the spider for safety.

Downer said the spider should have been preserved for study, but he was
told the body would not be made available.

A TU spokesman said the university is looking into how and why the
spider was destroyed.

The spider was found in a shipment of bananas at Whole Foods, 1401 E 41.

Richard Grantham, director of the plant disease and insect diagnostics
lab at Oklahoma State University, said the spider should not have been
destroyed.

"We preserve it,” he said. "We don’t destroy it.”

After looking at pictures of the spider, he does not believe it to be a
Brazilian wandering spider.

Downer and Grantham disputed Childs’ characterization of a Brazilian
wandering spider’s danger.

Death from the spider’s bite is rare, and only victims with compromised
immune systems, such as babies or older people, would be at risk, they said.

I'm proud to be a Rock Spider Sussex41 General Cooking 4 21-02-2009 03:55 PM
Bird Eating Spider? merryb General Cooking 45 05-11-2008 07:46 PM
Spider recipe Golden General Cooking 0 16-01-2007 11:35 PM
Squash and Spider Identification Damsel General Cooking 75 10-08-2005 12:10 AM
Spider Eyes Edoc Recipes (moderated) 0 26-01-2005 05:20 AM