Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Deadly spider in Whole Foods

The world's deadliest spider found in a Tulsa grocery store. An
employee at Whole Foods Market at 1401 East 41st Street found a
Brazilian Wandering Spider wandering around in their produce section.

The store handed the spider over to biologists at the University of
Tulsa who say that employee is lucky to be alive.
It's being kept in a terrarium with a do not disturb sign. More
people die from the spider's bite than any other spider in the world.

"Within minutes you will have breathing problems, you'll start to lose
control of your muscles, you'll start to drool and within 20 to 25
minutes you'll probably collapse on the floor and die of
asphyxiation," said Terry Childs.

More he http://www.newson6.com/global/story.asp?s=10025233
--

modom
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 18, 10:59*pm, "modom (palindrome guy)" >
wrote:
> The world's deadliest spider found in a Tulsa grocery store. *An
> employee at Whole Foods Market at 1401 East 41st Street found a
> Brazilian Wandering Spider wandering around in their produce section.
>
> The store handed the spider over to biologists at the University of
> Tulsa who say that employee is lucky to be alive.
> It's being kept in a terrarium with a do not disturb sign. *More
> people die from the spider's bite than any other spider in the world.
>
> "Within minutes you will have breathing problems, you'll start to lose
> control of your muscles, you'll start to drool and within 20 to 25
> minutes you'll probably collapse on the floor and die of
> asphyxiation," said Terry Childs.
>
> More hehttp://www.newson6.com/global/story.asp?s=10025233
> --
>
> modom

==========================
KILLIT DAMMIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lynn in Fargo
(Not far enough from Tulsa!)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 19, 12:59*am, "modom (palindrome guy)" >
wrote:
> The world's deadliest spider found in a Tulsa grocery store. *An
> employee at Whole Foods Market at 1401 East 41st Street found a
> Brazilian Wandering Spider wandering around in their produce section.
>
> The store handed the spider over to biologists at the University of
> Tulsa who say that employee is lucky to be alive.
> It's being kept in a terrarium with a do not disturb sign. *More
> people die from the spider's bite than any other spider in the world.
>
> "Within minutes you will have breathing problems, you'll start to lose
> control of your muscles, you'll start to drool and within 20 to 25
> minutes you'll probably collapse on the floor and die of
> asphyxiation," said Terry Childs.
>
> More hehttp://www.newson6.com/global/story.asp?s=10025233
> --
>
> modom

But was it organic? It WAS in Whole Foods!

Kris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-03-19, modom (palindrome guy) > wrote:
> The world's deadliest spider found in a Tulsa grocery store. An
> employee at Whole Foods Market.....

Like I needed one more excuse to not shop at Whole Paycheck. No doubt it
was an "organic" spider.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 16:26:52 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2009-03-19, modom (palindrome guy) > wrote:
>> The world's deadliest spider found in a Tulsa grocery store. An
>> employee at Whole Foods Market.....

>Like I needed one more excuse to not shop at Whole Paycheck. No doubt it
>was an "organic" spider.

And imported via fair trade. That place irritates me too, but D kinda
likes it. Other than that, she's alright.
--

modom

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 16:26:52 GMT in rec.food.cooking, notbob
> wrote,
>On 2009-03-19, modom (palindrome guy) > wrote:
>> The world's deadliest spider found in a Tulsa grocery store. An
>> employee at Whole Foods Market.....

>Like I needed one more excuse to not shop at Whole Paycheck. No doubt it
>was an "organic" spider.

Seems to me that calls for a good shot of insecticide.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

David Harmon said...

> On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 16:26:52 GMT in rec.food.cooking, notbob
> > wrote,
>>On 2009-03-19, modom (palindrome guy) > wrote:
>>> The world's deadliest spider found in a Tulsa grocery store. An
>>> employee at Whole Foods Market.....

>>Like I needed one more excuse to not shop at Whole Paycheck. No doubt it
>>was an "organic" spider.

> Seems to me that calls for a good shot of insecticide.

I was bitten by a black widow on the way to work on a Los Angeles public
bus! It crawled onto my hand that I had resting on the window sill. I saw
it on my hand and shook it off but it stuck (biting me). The second shake
got rid of it. I didn't see where it landed so it might've gone on to bite
others.

About 30 minutes later at work I was dizzy'd and dry heaving to death. Kept
me in bed for four days straight. As long as I didn't move all was fine but
so much as move a finger and the whole world spun around and around. I
crawled in agony just to get to the bathroom.

Luckily I was in the prime of life or I might've died.

I wasn't 100% recovered for two weeks.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"modom (palindrome guy)" > wrote in message
> The world's deadliest spider found in a Tulsa grocery store. An
> employee at Whole Foods Market at 1401 East 41st Street found a
> Brazilian Wandering Spider wandering around in their produce section.
>
> The store handed the spider over to biologists at the University of
> Tulsa who say that employee is lucky to be alive.
> It's being kept in a terrarium with a do not disturb sign. More
> people die from the spider's bite than any other spider in the world.
>
> "Within minutes you will have breathing problems, you'll start to lose
> control of your muscles, you'll start to drool and within 20 to 25
> minutes you'll probably collapse on the floor and die of
> asphyxiation," said Terry Childs.
>
> More he http://www.newson6.com/global/story.asp?s=10025233
> --
>
> modom

You can count on Whole Foods to have that hard to find item!
DP

Posted to rec.food.cooking

modom (palindrome guy) wrote:
> The world's deadliest spider found in a Tulsa grocery store. An
> employee at Whole Foods Market at 1401 East 41st Street found a
> Brazilian Wandering Spider wandering around in their produce section.
>
> The store handed the spider over to biologists at the University of
> Tulsa who say that employee is lucky to be alive.
> It's being kept in a terrarium with a do not disturb sign. More
> people die from the spider's bite than any other spider in the world.
>
> "Within minutes you will have breathing problems, you'll start to lose
> control of your muscles, you'll start to drool and within 20 to 25
> minutes you'll probably collapse on the floor and die of
> asphyxiation," said Terry Childs.
>
> More he http://www.newson6.com/global/story.asp?s=10025233
> --
>
> modom

So that's how things are done on the mainland. Over here, when we see
big hairy cane spiders, we'll hunt it down and kill it or put it in a
jar. Since we got the dog, we'll just have Kina do all the work. What
would prompt a person to take a spider to a university? That seems odd
to me. No spiders in Oklahoma?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> The world's deadliest spider found in a Tulsa grocery store. An
> employee at Whole Foods Market at 1401 East 41st Street found a
> Brazilian Wandering Spider wandering around in their produce section.
>
> The store handed the spider over to biologists at the University of
> Tulsa who say that employee is lucky to be alive.
> It's being kept in a terrarium with a do not disturb sign. More
> people die from the spider's bite than any other spider in the world.
>
> "Within minutes you will have breathing problems, you'll start to lose
> control of your muscles, you'll start to drool and within 20 to 25
> minutes you'll probably collapse on the floor and die of
> asphyxiation," said Terry Childs.
>
> More hehttp://www.newson6.com/global/story.asp?s=10025233
> --
>
> modom

==========================
KILLIT DAMMIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lynn in Fargo
(Not far enough from Tulsa!)
-------------

GM replies:

My mom told that when she was kid in the 20's, store owners would sometimes
find tarantulas in the big bunches of bananas they received...this was in
the rural Midwest.

The owner's kid would sometime put it in a jar, take it to school, and
charge 2 cents for other kids to see it...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> So that's how things are done on the mainland. Over here, when we see
> big hairy cane spiders, we'll hunt it down and kill it or put it in a
> jar. Since we got the dog, we'll just have Kina do all the work. What
> would prompt a person to take a spider to a university?

Probably for help in identification of the spider.

That seems odd
> to me. No spiders in Oklahoma?

Tarantulas are pretty common, and some nasty spiders. But if one is
unusual to the area it is noteworthy enough to let others see it to
learn about it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
news:tJidnXGFcKk0KF_UnZ2dnUVZ_vqdnZ2d@hawaiiantel. net...
> modom (palindrome guy) wrote:
>> The world's deadliest spider found in a Tulsa grocery store. An
>> employee at Whole Foods Market at 1401 East 41st Street found a
>> Brazilian Wandering Spider wandering around in their produce section. The
>> store handed the spider over to biologists at the University of
>> Tulsa who say that employee is lucky to be alive.
>> It's being kept in a terrarium with a do not disturb sign. More
>> people die from the spider's bite than any other spider in the world.
>>
>> "Within minutes you will have breathing problems, you'll start to lose
>> control of your muscles, you'll start to drool and within 20 to 25
>> minutes you'll probably collapse on the floor and die of
>> asphyxiation," said Terry Childs.
>>
>> More he http://www.newson6.com/global/story.asp?s=10025233
>> --
>>
>> modom

> So that's how things are done on the mainland. Over here, when we see big
> hairy cane spiders, we'll hunt it down and kill it or put it in a jar.
> Since we got the dog, we'll just have Kina do all the work. What would
> prompt a person to take a spider to a university? That seems odd to me. No
> spiders in Oklahoma?

What island you stay?

--
Aloha Nui Loa,
TFM®

Posted to rec.food.cooking

TFM® wrote:

> What island you stay?

I'm in Kaneohe on Oahu. It's been a funny month. It's been quite cool
and it's generally agreed that there's never been such low temperatures
in memory. We had ferry service between Oahu and Maui for about a year
and now that service has ended - maybe for good. That's typical for me -
I've been wanting to ride that superferry since it started and now it's
too late. :-(
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
>
>> So that's how things are done on the mainland. Over here, when we see
>> big hairy cane spiders, we'll hunt it down and kill it or put it in a
>> jar. Since we got the dog, we'll just have Kina do all the work. What
>> would prompt a person to take a spider to a university?

> Probably for help in identification of the spider.

It just seems to be such an unusual thing to do. Oddly enough, I've done
that when my daughter thought she may have been bitten by a spider. I
thought it might have been a black widow. Instead it was probably some
type of brown recluse spider but the experts weren't sure.

> That seems odd
>> to me. No spiders in Oklahoma?

> Tarantulas are pretty common, and some nasty spiders. But if one is
> unusual to the area it is noteworthy enough to let others see it to
> learn about it.

Tarantulas? Let me know where you live so I know what state to not set
foot in. Tarantulas, snakes and gators are a deal breaker for me. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lin Lin is offline

dsi1 wrote:

> It just seems to be such an unusual thing to do. Oddly enough, I've done
> that when my daughter thought she may have been bitten by a spider. I
> thought it might have been a black widow. Instead it was probably some
> type of brown recluse spider but the experts weren't sure.

This just in:

Spider scare in Tulsa spins web of confusion
BY SHANNON MUCHMORE - Tulsa World
Published: March 20, 2009

TULSA — A spider that was found in a Tulsa grocery store and originally
was thought to be deadly was probably of a harmless species, two experts
said.The spider was taken to the University of Tulsa on Sunday, where
animal facilities manager Terry Childs identified it as a Brazilian
wandering spider, one of the most lethal.

After the spider gained media attention Wednesday, Barry Downer, the
curator of aquariums and herpetology at the Tulsa Zoo, said video and
photos he had seen of the spider led him to believe it was a huntsman
spider, which is harmless to humans.

Childs said he destroyed the spider for safety.

Downer said the spider should have been preserved for study, but he was
told the body would not be made available.

A TU spokesman said the university is looking into how and why the
spider was destroyed.

The spider was found in a shipment of bananas at Whole Foods, 1401 E 41.

Richard Grantham, director of the plant disease and insect diagnostics
lab at Oklahoma State University, said the spider should not have been
destroyed.

"We preserve it,” he said. "We don’t destroy it.”

After looking at pictures of the spider, he does not believe it to be a
Brazilian wandering spider.

Downer and Grantham disputed Childs’ characterization of a Brazilian
wandering spider’s danger.

Death from the spider’s bite is rare, and only victims with compromised
immune systems, such as babies or older people, would be at risk, they said.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lin wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
>
>> It just seems to be such an unusual thing to do. Oddly enough, I've
>> done that when my daughter thought she may have been bitten by a
>> spider. I thought it might have been a black widow. Instead it was
>> probably some type of brown recluse spider but the experts weren't sure.

> This just in:
>
> Spider scare in Tulsa spins web of confusion
> BY SHANNON MUCHMORE - Tulsa World
> Published: March 20, 2009
>
> TULSA — A spider that was found in a Tulsa grocery store and originally
> was thought to be deadly was probably of a harmless species, two experts
> said.The spider was taken to the University of Tulsa on Sunday, where
> animal facilities manager Terry Childs identified it as a Brazilian
> wandering spider, one of the most lethal.
>
> After the spider gained media attention Wednesday, Barry Downer, the
> curator of aquariums and herpetology at the Tulsa Zoo, said video and
> photos he had seen of the spider led him to believe it was a huntsman
> spider, which is harmless to humans.
>
> Childs said he destroyed the spider for safety.
>
> Downer said the spider should have been preserved for study, but he was
> told the body would not be made available.
>
> A TU spokesman said the university is looking into how and why the
> spider was destroyed.
>
> The spider was found in a shipment of bananas at Whole Foods, 1401 E 41.
>
> Richard Grantham, director of the plant disease and insect diagnostics
> lab at Oklahoma State University, said the spider should not have been
> destroyed.
>
> "We preserve it,” he said. "We don’t destroy it.”
>
> After looking at pictures of the spider, he does not believe it to be a
> Brazilian wandering spider.
>
> Downer and Grantham disputed Childs’ characterization of a Brazilian
> wandering spider’s danger.
>
> Death from the spider’s bite is rare, and only victims with compromised
> immune systems, such as babies or older people, would be at risk, they
> said.

One of the possibly lesser know side effects of a bite from a spider
with this class of venom is this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Priapism

The Australian funnel web is not to be played with either
and stats show that although less numbers are bitten
by the funnel web (population density compare the the range of the
Wandering one) More die from the Funnel web % per bite -although stats
are very close and subject to debate (funnel webs inject much larger
volume of toxic venom )

Funnel webs only affect higher primates and their natural food not
dogs & cats although the reaction shakes dogs & cats up a bit

I see no problem with the logic of the spider being taken to a
university and find the counter logic rather strange
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lin wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
>
>> It just seems to be such an unusual thing to do. Oddly enough, I've
>> done that when my daughter thought she may have been bitten by a
>> spider. I thought it might have been a black widow. Instead it was
>> probably some type of brown recluse spider but the experts weren't sure.

Identifying spiders of certain species must be difficult. Anyway, the
news that this was a false alarm is a good turn of events. Hopefully, we
will never hear of this arachnid again.

> This just in:
>
> Spider scare in Tulsa spins web of confusion
> BY SHANNON MUCHMORE - Tulsa World
> Published: March 20, 2009
>
> TULSA — A spider that was found in a Tulsa grocery store and originally
> was thought to be deadly was probably of a harmless species, two experts
> said.The spider was taken to the University of Tulsa on Sunday, where
> animal facilities manager Terry Childs identified it as a Brazilian
> wandering spider, one of the most lethal.
>
> After the spider gained media attention Wednesday, Barry Downer, the
> curator of aquariums and herpetology at the Tulsa Zoo, said video and
> photos he had seen of the spider led him to believe it was a huntsman
> spider, which is harmless to humans.
>
> Childs said he destroyed the spider for safety.
>
> Downer said the spider should have been preserved for study, but he was
> told the body would not be made available.
>
> A TU spokesman said the university is looking into how and why the
> spider was destroyed.
>
> The spider was found in a shipment of bananas at Whole Foods, 1401 E 41.
>
> Richard Grantham, director of the plant disease and insect diagnostics
> lab at Oklahoma State University, said the spider should not have been
> destroyed.
>
> "We preserve it,” he said. "We don’t destroy it.”
>
> After looking at pictures of the spider, he does not believe it to be a
> Brazilian wandering spider.
>
> Downer and Grantham disputed Childs’ characterization of a Brazilian
> wandering spider’s danger.
>
> Death from the spider’s bite is rare, and only victims with compromised
> immune systems, such as babies or older people, would be at risk, they
> said.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message ...
> TFM® wrote:
>
>> What island you stay?
>>

> I'm in Kaneohe on Oahu. It's been a funny month. It's been quite cool and
> it's generally agreed that there's never been such low temperatures in
> memory. We had ferry service between Oahu and Maui for about a year and
> now that service has ended - maybe for good. That's typical for me - I've
> been wanting to ride that superferry since it started and now it's too
> late. :-(

What's the story with the ferry? They hurting the whales?

TFM®

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> TFM® wrote:
>
>> What island you stay?
>>

> I'm in Kaneohe on Oahu. It's been a funny month. It's been quite cool
> and it's generally agreed that there's never been such low temperatures
> in memory. We had ferry service between Oahu and Maui for about a year
> and now that service has ended - maybe for good. That's typical for me -
> I've been wanting to ride that superferry since it started and now it's
> too late. :-(

Weren't a lot of people using the ferry to commute to work? What will
they do now? Airfare between the islands is pretty expensive.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gloria P" > wrote in message
> dsi1 wrote:
>> TFM® wrote:
>>
>>> What island you stay?
>>>

>> I'm in Kaneohe on Oahu. It's been a funny month. It's been quite cool and
>> it's generally agreed that there's never been such low temperatures in
>> memory. We had ferry service between Oahu and Maui for about a year and
>> now that service has ended - maybe for good. That's typical for me - I've
>> been wanting to ride that superferry since it started and now it's too
>> late. :-(

> Weren't a lot of people using the ferry to commute to work? What will
> they do now? Airfare between the islands is pretty expensive.

According to one guy I talked to on Maui, it's only about $15 more to fly
inter island. He said the superferry was a better ride though.
If you can afford to live on Maui and work on Oahu, I would think you can
afford the fares. Otherwise just move to where you work.

TFM®

Posted to rec.food.cooking

TFM® wrote:

> "dsi1" > wrote in message ...
>> TFM® wrote:
>>
>>> What island you stay?
>>>

>> I'm in Kaneohe on Oahu. It's been a funny month. It's been quite cool
>> and it's generally agreed that there's never been such low
>> temperatures in memory. We had ferry service between Oahu and Maui for
>> about a year and now that service has ended - maybe for good. That's
>> typical for me - I've been wanting to ride that superferry since it
>> started and now it's too late. :-(

> What's the story with the ferry? They hurting the whales?

That ferry, which is supposed to be one of the largest in the world,
probably did bug the whales but then, what doesn't? My guess is that the
whales in most of the Pacific Ocean would be able to hear that beast.

The state expedited the process to get the ferry service going and
there's some questions as to the environmental impact this monster is
having. Most things having to do with transportation will leave a large
footprint on the land and seascape but mostly it makes our lives better.

> TFM®

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gloria P wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
>> TFM® wrote:
>>
>>> What island you stay?
>>>

>> I'm in Kaneohe on Oahu. It's been a funny month. It's been quite cool
>> and it's generally agreed that there's never been such low
>> temperatures in memory. We had ferry service between Oahu and Maui for
>> about a year and now that service has ended - maybe for good. That's
>> typical for me - I've been wanting to ride that superferry since it
>> started and now it's too late. :-(

> Weren't a lot of people using the ferry to commute to work? What will
> they do now? Airfare between the islands is pretty expensive.

I can't say how many folks used the ferry to commute, no doubt some did.
Most commuters probably stuck with air since it's faster. I'm guessing
that a lot of small business on Maui used the service to transport goods
to Oahu. The ferry must have been seen as a Godsend. Looks like they're
now screwed. A sad day for most of the folks on Maui and Oahu. No doubt
a happy one for a few people who would like Maui to remain semi-isolated
and restrict development.

> gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> Gloria P wrote:
>> dsi1 wrote:

>>> I'm in Kaneohe on Oahu. It's been a funny month. It's been quite cool
>>> and it's generally agreed that there's never been such low temperatures
>>> in memory. We had ferry service between Oahu and Maui for about a year
>>> and now that service has ended - maybe for good. That's typical for me -
>>> I've been wanting to ride that superferry since it started and now it's
>>> too late. :-(

>> Weren't a lot of people using the ferry to commute to work? What will
>> they do now? Airfare between the islands is pretty expensive.

> I can't say how many folks used the ferry to commute, no doubt some did.
> Most commuters probably stuck with air since it's faster. I'm guessing
> that a lot of small business on Maui used the service to transport goods
> to Oahu. The ferry must have been seen as a Godsend. Looks like they're
> now screwed. A sad day for most of the folks on Maui and Oahu. No doubt a
> happy one for a few people who would like Maui to remain semi-isolated and
> restrict development.

All the locals I talked to there are saddened by the explosion of
development. Just imagine the kona side covered in houses and shopping
centers.
One of my wife's friends is moving to the big island to get away from the
insanity.

--
Aloha Nui Loa,
TFM®

Posted to rec.food.cooking

TFM® wrote:

> All the locals I talked to there are saddened by the explosion of
> development. Just imagine the kona side covered in houses and shopping
> centers.
> One of my wife's friends is moving to the big island to get away from
> the insanity.

Generally, speaking humans will move into areas that support development
and growth but there will always be spots on this world where one can
get away from an excess of other humans. This is the natural progression
to things.

Personally, I don't mind other folks and the change that development
brings. I've lived in Kaneohe for about 10 years and the growth of
traffic and congestion is noticeable but it could be worse. OTOH, I
dislike going over the hill to Honolulu - that's a bit too much for me.
Forget about Waikiki, going there is a real drag. I think most of the
locals feel the same way too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
news:6eGdnbYXBccQ3FnUnZ2dnUVZ_rOdnZ2d@hawaiiantel. net...
> TFM® wrote:
>
>> All the locals I talked to there are saddened by the explosion of
>> development. Just imagine the kona side covered in houses and shopping
>> centers.
>> One of my wife's friends is moving to the big island to get away from the
>> insanity.

> Generally, speaking humans will move into areas that support development
> and growth but there will always be spots on this world where one can get
> away from an excess of other humans. This is the natural progression to
> things.
>
> Personally, I don't mind other folks and the change that development
> brings. I've lived in Kaneohe for about 10 years and the growth of traffic
> and congestion is noticeable but it could be worse. OTOH, I dislike going
> over the hill to Honolulu - that's a bit too much for me. Forget about
> Waikiki, going there is a real drag. I think most of the locals feel the
> same way too.

I don't know Oahu, so I can't relate. I'll take you at your word. I'll
look it up on Google Earth even.
I'd like to live in Kaupo on Maui. Nothing for over an hour in either
direction.

My Maui buddy had maps charting his trip with a friend in 2 canoes all the
way around Maui. Took 9 days, I think.
Maybe 12. I don't know for sure. I smoked some pakalolo with him the night
he told me the tale.

Aloha Bruddah,
TFM®

Posted to rec.food.cooking

TFM® wrote:

> I don't know Oahu, so I can't relate. I'll take you at your word. I'll
> look it up on Google Earth even.
> I'd like to live in Kaupo on Maui. Nothing for over an hour in either
> direction.
>
> My Maui buddy had maps charting his trip with a friend in 2 canoes all
> the way around Maui. Took 9 days, I think.
> Maybe 12. I don't know for sure. I smoked some pakalolo with him the
> night he told me the tale.

I've only been to Maui once - when I was a kid. My father worked
construction on the island and my mother and me and my brother went to
spend Christmas. The old house my father was renting was empty since all
the other workers went back home for the holiday. I recall that it never
seemed to stop raining and we stayed at the house the whole time. I
guess my parents didn't mind that at all...

The only place I can recall going to is a park which was totally empty.
That's probably the way it is on Christmas on a cold, rainy day. I shot
off a rocket toy that I had. We were there only for a few minutes before
it started to rain again. That's pretty much all I remember about Maui.
The rain, the empty park, that dark, old creaky house, my toy rocket.

My understanding is there be Hollywood folks living in multi-million
buck houses on Maui these days. Guess they like to get away from it all
too.

Take care brudda!

> Aloha Bruddah,
> TFM®

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lin" > wrote

> A TU spokesman said the university is looking into how and why the spider
> was destroyed.

Only in America will the death of a spider be examined.

TFM®

Posted to rec.food.cooking

TFM® wrote:

> "Lin" > wrote
>
>> A TU spokesman said the university is looking into how and why the
>> spider was destroyed.

> Only in America will the death of a spider be examined.
>
> TFM®

Three or four weeks ago, we were standing in the foyer of church,
talking to a few people, and a large spider strolled by. My husband
moved toward the spider and I wondered what he was going to do. I am a
Unitarian, but my husband is a newbie and I was afraid he would step on
the spider (a decent Unitarian would never do that, at least not in
public lol). He picked the spider up and he put it back outside.
<whew>

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lin Lin is offline

TFM® wrote:

> Only in America will the death of a spider be examined.

I totally get your point here.

I do believe the spider was destroyed and disposed of because the
so-called "expert" from the university completely misidentified it and
they didn't want any proof of that gaffe lingering about. TU eventually
took the stance of "we can't accept animals of any kind from the public"
and that's why they supposedly got rid of it.

--Lin
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bubbabob said...

> Andy > wrote:
>
>> I was bitten by a black widow on the way to work on a Los Angeles
>> public bus! It crawled onto my hand that I had resting on the window
>> sill. I saw it on my hand and shook it off but it stuck (biting me).
>> The second shake got rid of it. I didn't see where it landed so it
>> might've gone on to bite others.
>>
>> About 30 minutes later at work I was dizzy'd and dry heaving to death.
>> Kept me in bed for four days straight. As long as I didn't move all
>> was fine but so much as move a finger and the whole world spun around
>> and around. I crawled in agony just to get to the bathroom.
>>
>> Luckily I was in the prime of life or I might've died.
>>
>> I wasn't 100% recovered for two weeks.
>>
>> Andy
>>

> There's a very effective antivenin for black widow bites, but only for
> one use. The second time you take the antivenin it will probably kill
> you. Works almost immediately the first time, though.

We never carried anti venom on the buses of Los Angeles. We never carried
anti venom anywhere. The cost of refrigeration and space concerns made it
prohibitive. In the field, the best we could do is cover our boot openings
with our socks while we slept and be careful where we squatted.

Andy

I'm proud to be a Rock Spider Sussex41 General Cooking 4 21-02-2009 04:55 PM
Bird Eating Spider? merryb General Cooking 45 05-11-2008 08:46 PM
Spider recipe Golden General Cooking 0 17-01-2007 12:35 AM
Squash and Spider Identification Damsel General Cooking 75 10-08-2005 12:10 AM
Spider Eyes Edoc Recipes (moderated) 0 26-01-2005 06:20 AM