Old 30-10-2008, 11:24 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Bird Eating Spider?

Any of you see this? It's all over the news-I can't believe spiders
could get that big. I bet they have a tough time finding stuff strong
enough to build their webs from. Happy Halloween!

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=655741

Old 30-10-2008, 11:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"merryb" wrote in message
Any of you see this? It's all over the news-I can't believe spiders
could get that big. I bet they have a tough time finding stuff strong
enough to build their webs from. Happy Halloween!

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=655741

He's an Australian spider, is why.

On a happier note:

http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/polardog.asp

Old 31-10-2008, 01:24 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 31, 8:24*am, merryb wrote:
Any of you see this? It's all over the news-I can't believe spiders
could get that big. I bet they have a tough time finding stuff strong
enough to build their webs from. Happy Halloween!

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=655741

Spiders do not find stuff to make their webs from, they produce the
web from a spinnaret in the end of their abdomen.

JB
Old 31-10-2008, 01:27 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb wrote in news:bc2fe3ba-337c-4b28-9b80-9eda6afa17b4
@b38g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

Any of you see this? It's all over the news-I can't believe spiders
could get that big.

That's usual for a bird eater.

Wait till you're walking through the bush of a night, walk between two
trees that are about 8-10' apart, and walk straight through one of their
webs!!

And then 20secs later feel 8 legs crawling over your head!!

And you're not allowed to make any noise :-)

I bet they have a tough time finding stuff strong
enough to build their webs from. Happy Halloween!

The 'stuff' they need to build their webs comes out of their bum.

This spiders web was about 3' across.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

If we are not meant to eat animals,
why are they made of meat?
Old 31-10-2008, 01:43 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 30, 6:24*pm, Golden One wrote:
On Oct 31, 8:24*am, merryb wrote:

Any of you see this? It's all over the news-I can't believe spiders
could get that big. I bet they have a tough time finding stuff strong
enough to build their webs from. Happy Halloween!

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=655741

Spiders do not find stuff to make their webs from, they produce the
web from a spinnaret in the end of their abdomen.

JB

I'm sorry- I meant stuff to hang their webs from...

Old 31-10-2008, 01:47 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 30, 6:27*pm, PeterLucas wrote:
[...]

No fair!!! I used to live in CA as a kid- when I moved here to WA, my
ideas of spiders totally changed...maybe with all the rain here, they
swell up? Nothing worse than walking face first into a big sticky
web...well, I'm sure there are others, but YIKES- I hate big spiders!
Old 31-10-2008, 02:00 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb wrote in
:

No fair!!! I used to live in CA as a kid- when I moved here to WA, my
ideas of spiders totally changed...maybe with all the rain here, they
swell up? Nothing worse than walking face first into a big sticky
web...well, I'm sure there are others, but YIKES- I hate big spiders!

As a young 'Digger', I soon learnt to avoid going between trees that were
any closer together than about 10'..... especially of a night-time.

Old 31-10-2008, 02:21 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"PeterLucas" wrote in message
.25...
merryb wrote in
:

No fair!!! I used to live in CA as a kid- when I moved here to WA, my
ideas of spiders totally changed...maybe with all the rain here, they
swell up? Nothing worse than walking face first into a big sticky
web...well, I'm sure there are others, but YIKES- I hate big spiders!

As a young 'Digger', I soon learnt to avoid going between trees that were
any closer together than about 10'..... especially of a night-time.

Grave digger?

Old 31-10-2008, 04:04 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 30, 7:00*pm, PeterLucas wrote:
merryb wrote :

No fair!!! I used to live in CA as a kid- when I moved here to WA, my
ideas of spiders totally changed...maybe with all the rain here, they
swell up? Nothing worse than walking face first into a big sticky
web...well, I'm sure there are others, but YIKES- I hate big spiders!

As a young 'Digger', I soon learnt to avoid going between trees that were
any closer together than about 10'..... especially of a night-time.

--
Peter Lucas * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Brisbane * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Australia * * *

If we are not meant to eat animals,
why are they made of meat?

I'm sure it only took once or twice...
Old 31-10-2008, 01:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 31, 12:06 am, PeterLucas wrote:
merryb wrote :

On Oct 30, 7:00 pm, PeterLucas wrote:
merryb wrote
innews:ef7c2b6e-780b-4336-9982-27b85c6da9c

:

No fair!!! I used to live in CA as a kid- when I moved here to WA,
my ideas of spiders totally changed...maybe with all the rain here,
they swell up? Nothing worse than walking face first into a big
sticky web...well, I'm sure there are others, but YIKES- I hate big
spiders!

As a young 'Digger', I soon learnt to avoid going between trees that
were any closer together than about 10'..... especially of a
night-time.

I'm sure it only took once or twice...

Once....after feeling those legs crawling all over my neck and
head........ NEVER AGAIN!!! :-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

If we are not meant to eat animals,
why are they made of meat?

In the Nam they were a way of knowing when someone had been there
before
Old 31-10-2008, 01:20 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article , "sylvania" wrote:

"PeterLucas" wrote in message
0.25...
merryb wrote in
:

No fair!!! I used to live in CA as a kid- when I moved here to WA, my
ideas of spiders totally changed...maybe with all the rain here, they
swell up? Nothing worse than walking face first into a big sticky
web...well, I'm sure there are others, but YIKES- I hate big spiders!

As a young 'Digger', I soon learnt to avoid going between trees that were
any closer together than about 10'..... especially of a night-time.

Grave digger?

Nah... Pete's the life of the party.

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Old 31-10-2008, 03:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 31, 9:27*am, Omelet wrote:
In article ,

" wrote:
On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 16:24:06 -0700 (PDT), merryb wrote:

Any of you see this? It's all over the news-I can't believe spiders
could get that big. I bet they have a tough time finding stuff strong
enough to build their webs from. Happy Halloween!

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=655741

Reminds me of something that happened in Viet-Nam in 1969. We were taking a
break near
a cane hedgerow when somebody noticed a monster web ( about 12 feet across)
between
two segments of cane. The spider in the center was more than a foot across
the
outspread legs. We cut off a piece of cane and teased the spider into
dropping from
the web. Using the piece of cane to catch the strand the spider was dropping
from we
set it down in front of one of the guy's pet monkey. ( Thought it would scare
the
monkey.) It surprised the hell out of us by running up to the spider,
grabbing it by
bunching up the legs near the body and eating it. *SERIOUS Yukk.

Never did find out what kind of spider it was. But it looked sort of like
this one.

We have some large native spiders here commonly referred to as "Banana
spiders". *They are only maybe an inch or two long, but they spin some
HUGE webs. *I've personally seen them anywhere from 1 to 2 meters in
width.

Many people (including myself) often feed them just for fun and
encourage their presence in the garden as they are excellent predators:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEZg4HC4AXo

Back when we used to do regular wildlife rescue volunteer work, I was
called out to pick up an injured nighthawk. *Turns out the poor bird was
simply exhausted and tangled in spider webbing! *I cleaned her off and
let her rest for a day, then took her back out where she was found and
set her free. :-)

My heart soared into the air with her...

http://birdweb.org/birdweb/bird_details.aspx?id=255

Night hawks can be difficult due to their dietary requirements. They are
purely insect eaters and eat on the wing scooping insects out of the air
with a large gape, so they have to be force fed in rehab. I was relieved
her case was so simple!
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama- Hide quoted text -

We have Wolf Spiders- I've seen one that was probably 3 inches
across...ever see a camel spider? Uggggg.......
Old 31-10-2008, 04:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
" wrote:

[...]

I'm proud to be a Rock Spider Sussex41 General Cooking 4 21-02-2009 03:55 PM
Spider recipe Golden General Cooking 0 16-01-2007 11:35 PM
Squash and Spider Identification Damsel General Cooking 75 10-08-2005 12:10 AM
Spider Eyes Edoc Recipes (moderated) 0 26-01-2005 05:20 AM
Eating spider-legs ????? Hans-Marc Olsen Diabetic 3 19-11-2004 04:11 AM