Old 03-08-2005, 12:18 PM
Damsel

Default Squash and Spider Identification

My neighbor gave me a couple of summer squashes from his garden last night.
I've only seen the ones that look like yellow zucchini. What variety are
these, and what's a good way to cook them? I was thinking of maybe
slicing, oiling, and grilling.

Then there's this terrifying spider that's in my bathroom. I don't mind
the light brown daddy long legs types with the 1.5" bent legs (never saw
them before moving here). But I'm scared of the ones that are fast, fast,
fast! This one is about a half inch long, and very black. I don't
routinely kill critters, but if the spider can harm us, I should probably
get rid of it. The picture isn't great, because I was too scared to get
any closer.

I'd appreciate any help with either of these. Click on the yellow squash:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos

Carol

Old 03-08-2005, 12:32 PM
The Cook

Damsel wrote:

[...]

The squash is yellow crookneck. I love them boiled with onion and a
dab of bacon grease. Plenty of black pepper.

--
Susan N.

"Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral, 48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."
Old 03-08-2005, 12:38 PM
Julia Altshuler

Damsel wrote:
I don't
routinely kill critters, but if the spider can harm us, I should probably
get rid of it. The picture isn't great, because I was too scared to get
any closer.

I'd appreciate any help with either of these. Click on the yellow squash:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos

Yup, that's a spider. (That's the identification part of this message.)
For those situations where you don't want to get too close to a bug,
the vacuum cleaner works nicely. Stand in the doorway with vacuum and
vacuum hose. Attack spider from distance.

--Lia

Old 03-08-2005, 12:43 PM
Damsel

Julia Altshuler said:

Damsel wrote:
I don't
routinely kill critters, but if the spider can harm us, I should probably
get rid of it. The picture isn't great, because I was too scared to get
any closer.

I'd appreciate any help with either of these. Click on the yellow squash:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos

Yup, that's a spider. (That's the identification part of this message.)

Damn, you're good. Do you do this professionally? LOL!

For those situations where you don't want to get too close to a bug,
the vacuum cleaner works nicely. Stand in the doorway with vacuum and
vacuum hose. Attack spider from distance.

Yeah, but then I've got an angry spider in my vacuum cleaner. Crash is
getting up in a couple hours. Hopefully, he can save me. G

Carol
Old 03-08-2005, 12:50 PM
Andy

Julia Altshuler wrote in
:

Damsel wrote:
I don't
routinely kill critters, but if the spider can harm us, I should
probably get rid of it. The picture isn't great, because I was too
scared to get any closer.

I'd appreciate any help with either of these. Click on the yellow
squash: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos

Yup, that's a spider. (That's the identification part of this
message.)
For those situations where you don't want to get too close to a bug,
the vacuum cleaner works nicely. Stand in the doorway with vacuum and
vacuum hose. Attack spider from distance.

--Lia

Oooh! Oooh! [raising hand]

BENZENE!!!!!!!!!!!

Get a squirt bottle and fill it with benzene (check printer supply
stores for cheap).

We used it to kill flying "king-kong" roaches. It's wonderful!!! The
instant it hits a bug, it totally evaporates any moisture from their
system, rendering them dead in the blink of an eye, without the
"crunch" of sledge hammer or fly swatter.

OH THE GOOD OL' DAYS!

Andy

Old 03-08-2005, 12:52 PM
Julia Altshuler

Since this is almost certain to come up in this thread eventually, I'll
beat you to the punch with this:

http://www.snopes.com/photos/bugs/brownrecluse.asp

Spider bites can hurt, but they're generally not too serious.

--Lia

Old 03-08-2005, 12:58 PM
Damsel

Julia Altshuler said:

Since this is almost certain to come up in this thread eventually, I'll
beat you to the punch with this:

http://www.snopes.com/photos/bugs/brownrecluse.asp

There are people all over who are going to skip breakfast after viewing
those pictures. G

This guy isn't brown. He's dark, dark black. Like a cricket.

Carol
Old 03-08-2005, 01:12 PM
jmcquown

Julia Altshuler wrote:
Since this is almost certain to come up in this thread eventually,
I'll beat you to the punch with this:

http://www.snopes.com/photos/bugs/brownrecluse.asp

Spider bites can hurt, but they're generally not too serious.

--Lia

LOL! I've already explained to her this spider isn't a brown recluse. They
are... reclusive (and brown! with a "fiddle"As for not serious, I don't care
what snopes has to say, I saw a guy in the doctor's office who had a HUGE
abcess on his leg from being bitten by one. It was gross. Not deadly, but
gross.

And those *are* crookneck squash, particularly nice done on the grill,
brushed with a little oil. Also just fine cut into coins and steamed.
Slightly sweet in taste. I use them in my squash casserole. A very nice
squash they are

Jill

Old 03-08-2005, 01:14 PM
Julia Altshuler

Andy wrote:

Oooh! Oooh! [raising hand]

BENZENE!!!!!!!!!!!

Get a squirt bottle and fill it with benzene (check printer supply
stores for cheap).

We used it to kill flying "king-kong" roaches. It's wonderful!!! The
instant it hits a bug, it totally evaporates any moisture from their
system, rendering them dead in the blink of an eye, without the
"crunch" of sledge hammer or fly swatter.

Or, for a more absurd answer, you could try swallowing a bird to catch
the spider ...

--Lia

Old 03-08-2005, 01:25 PM
Sheldon

Andy wrote:

Oooh! Oooh! [raising hand]

BENZENE!!!!!!!!!!!

Idiot.

http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/chemi...ealth_ben.html

Sheldon

Old 03-08-2005, 01:32 PM
Nancy Young

"jmcquown" wrote

LOL! I've already explained to her this spider isn't a brown recluse.
They
are... reclusive (and brown! with a "fiddle"As for not serious, I don't
care
what snopes has to say, I saw a guy in the doctor's office who had a HUGE
abcess on his leg from being bitten by one. It was gross. Not deadly,
but
gross.

I was in a doctor's waiting room when someone from work came in ... she
had left her car windows open overnight and when she got in, whammo.
Holy crow, you shoulda seen this bite! What a mess, and it hurt her! Big
huge thing (okay, I guess abcess). Not a pretty thing.

nancy

Old 03-08-2005, 02:25 PM
jmcquown

Nancy Young wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote

LOL! I've already explained to her this spider isn't a brown
recluse. They
are... reclusive (and brown! with a "fiddle"As for not serious, I
don't care
what snopes has to say, I saw a guy in the doctor's office who had a
HUGE abcess on his leg from being bitten by one. It was gross. Not
deadly, but
gross.

I was in a doctor's waiting room when someone from work came in ...
she had left her car windows open overnight and when she got in,
whammo.
Holy crow, you shoulda seen this bite! What a mess, and it hurt her!
Big huge thing (okay, I guess abcess). Not a pretty thing.

nancy

You should have seen me when I was moving once. I had some of those
cardboard under-the-bed boxes and was sorting through clothing when out
ventured a rather large brown recluse. I jumped up, screaming. My
then-roommate screamed, too. I grabbed the vacuum cleaner and sucked it up
with the hose.

Note to Damsel: Trust me, those things don't survive what is (to them)
tornado force 5 winds

Jill

Old 03-08-2005, 02:49 PM
limey

"Damsel" wrote in message
My neighbor gave me a couple of summer squashes from his garden last
night.
I've only seen the ones that look like yellow zucchini. What variety are
these, and what's a good way to cook them? I was thinking of maybe
slicing, oiling, and grilling.

Hate to contradict people, but they are straightneck squash, not crookneck,
says Farmer Dora. They're cooked the same way, though. You can grill,
sauté in butter, or even simmer gently in butter. Dill is a good addition,
too.

Then there's this terrifying spider that's in my bathroom. I don't mind
the light brown daddy long legs types with the 1.5" bent legs (never saw
them before moving here). But I'm scared of the ones that are fast, fast,
fast! This one is about a half inch long, and very black. I don't
routinely kill critters, but if the spider can harm us, I should probably
get rid of it. The picture isn't great, because I was too scared to get
any closer.

Ugh. I hate crawlies. The vacuum idea sounds good, though - I usually
chase them down and bash them with a sledgehammer. We have a variety of
cricket that gives me the creeps. They *stare* at me (literally) and can
jump a mile high. I've found the only way to kill those suckers is to drop
a book on them from above (they can't look up, apparently).

Old 03-08-2005, 03:20 PM
Sheldon

limey wrote:

Hate to contradict people, but they are straightneck squash, not crookneck,
says Farmer Dora. They're cooked the same way, though.

You are correct.

Crookneck:
http://www.burpee.com/shopping/produ...ookneck+squash

http://tinyurl.com/anjth

Sheldon

Old 03-08-2005, 03:35 PM
tintalle

I was bitten by a recluse about 7 yrs ago. Nasty horrible.... ugh. Was
very lucky I didn't lose my foot because of it. Ended up with just some
tissue damage, still have some scarring.

jmcquown wrote:
Julia Altshuler wrote:

Since this is almost certain to come up in this thread eventually,
I'll beat you to the punch with this:

http://www.snopes.com/photos/bugs/brownrecluse.asp

Spider bites can hurt, but they're generally not too serious.

--Lia

LOL! I've already explained to her this spider isn't a brown recluse. They
are... reclusive (and brown! with a "fiddle"As for not serious, I don't care
what snopes has to say, I saw a guy in the doctor's office who had a HUGE
abcess on his leg from being bitten by one. It was gross. Not deadly, but
gross.

And those *are* crookneck squash, particularly nice done on the grill,
brushed with a little oil. Also just fine cut into coins and steamed.
Slightly sweet in taste. I use them in my squash casserole. A very nice
squash they are

Jill

Squash identification SaPeIsMa General Cooking 17 04-08-2010 01:54 AM
Bird Eating Spider? merryb General Cooking 45 05-11-2008 07:46 PM
Spider recipe Golden General Cooking 0 16-01-2007 11:35 PM
Spider Eyes Edoc Recipes (moderated) 0 26-01-2005 05:20 AM
Eating spider-legs ????? Hans-Marc Olsen Diabetic 3 19-11-2004 04:11 AM