Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I am not from India; just trying to cook high protein non-eat dishes (hence Indian but not as much spice) with the least amount of oil

"amandaF" > wrote in message
> On Nov 4, 5:02 pm, "cshenk" > wrote:
>> "amandaF" wrote

>> > Thanks. The Italian dish I like the most are the ones with butter.
>> > There was this restaurant (not a chain; owned b Italian family) near
>> > where I was living in Houston, and they had that. It was so good. But,
>> > I should not be eating that all the time. so, when I crave Italian, I
>> > just go to a fine restaurant and have it.

>> Would you be thinking Buttered Scampi on lingiune? (sorry, cant spell
>> well
>> but I think you can make it out)

> I like Shrimp scampi. The best one I had was at a restaurant in
> Houston.

I knew you could write a decent sentence if you wanted to, Asshole Amanda.
Good for you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> "cybercat" wrote
>
>> Right. She's an ass who could not be bothered to post so that people
>> could understand what she is saying, and when I asked, in the midst of
>> others flaming her, if English was her second language, she flamed me.

> I didn't see any flames, just a 'why do you ask'

This is a flame:

On Nov 3, 8:45 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "amandaF" > wrote in message

> >> Just curious--what is your first language? Your native language?

> > I do not want to share this info in newsgroups.

> Honey, it is pretty obvious that you cannot write English very well. If it
> is your native language, you need to slow down and take more care with
> your
> posts so that your posts are understandable. If it is not, you need to
> slow
> down and take more care with your posts so that we can understand them.

>Blah..blah..blah..

She's an asshole.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"amandaF" > wrote in message
> On Nov 4, 4:59 pm, "cshenk" > wrote:
>> "amandaF" wrote
>>
>> > Then, don't read and much less ..reply. Let someone else who is smart
>> > enough to understand a foreigner (if there is any) reply. In fact,
>> > if Americans in general wants to compete in the global market, stop
>> > complaining how others speak and write English and learn to understand
>> > them.

>> BWAHAHAHA!! Now the Fat's in the fire! (Americanism, meaning it's now
>> sizzling and popping like crazy and getting all loud and stuff).
>>
>> Keep in mind that not all of us are the same.

> I know. I am referring to that type.
>
>> Lots of nice folks, even some of the ones you are talking to when they
>> are on a different subject (or in a
>> different group).

> I have American friends who are nothing like these air heads.

And again, this is a flame from an arrogant jackass who had been posting
like a developmentally impaired West Virginian since last August. Just
because it cannot be bothered to take the time to write an intelligible
post.
It is not surprising that you have not taken the time to learn to boil water
at your advanced age.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "amandaF" > wrote in message
>> On Nov 4, 4:59 pm, "cshenk" > wrote:
>>> "amandaF" wrote

>>> BWAHAHAHA!! Now the Fat's in the fire! (Americanism, meaning it's now
>>> sizzling and popping like crazy and getting all loud and stuff).
>>>
>>> Keep in mind that not all of us are the same.

>> I know. I am referring to that type.
>>
>>> Lots of nice folks, even some of the ones you are talking to when they
>>> are on a different subject (or in a
>>> different group).

>> I have American friends who are nothing like these air heads.

> And again, this is a flame from an arrogant jackass who had been posting
> like a developmentally impaired West Virginian since last August. Just
> because it cannot be bothered to take the time to write an intelligible
> post.
> It is not surprising that you have not taken the time to learn to boil
> water at your advanced age.

oookay, maybe kinder and gentler tomorrow.

lol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"amandaF" schrieb :
> On Nov 4, 12:42 pm, "Michael Kuettner" wrote:
>> "amandaF" schrieb :
>>
>> A little hint : Please leave the name of the poster you're replying
>> to in your answer.

> Sorry..

No need to be sorry. It was just a hint about Usenetiquette ;-)

>> > Thanks. The Italian dish I like the most are the ones with butter.

>> Ah, that would be Northern Italian dishes.
>> Dishes like gnocchi with sage-butter ?

> I don't remember the name; the description did say butter and may be
> sage. I forgot. I have never found the same exact dish at any other
> Italian restaurant that I have been to.

Well, if you really liked it, start a new thread and list the ingredients
you remember. I guess Giusi or Vilco will be able to identify the dish.

>> > There was this restaurant (not a chain; owned b Italian family) near
>> > where I was living in Houston, and they had that. It was so good. But,
>> > I should not be eating that all the time. so, when I crave Italian, I
>> > just go to a fine restaurant and have it.

>> Well, if you find a dish that you want to try to cook yourself, just ask
>> here.

> Sure will....there to be more than one if I ever want to cook Italian.
> The cost of the fresh ingredient (especially if I don't plan to cook
> often and) and the time wouldn't be worth it.

I've posted a recipe for minestrone recently.
It's neither expensive nor time consuming.

>> > food in Indian restaurant - there is one I really like; they have a
>> > very nice buffet - are so salty that I have to give up going there It
>> > is not worth it for me to order from the menu expect for kabobs which
>> > I love. But then, for Kabobs, I prefer Persian. In fact, that is what
>> > I plan to learn..only Kabob though, not other Persian dish..except may
>> > be some soup.

>> What's the Persian kabob like ?

> I don't know how to describe in words. It's not spicy but quite
> different taste than any other I have had.

Ah, the secret is in the marinade, then.
<snip>

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" schrieb :
> "Michael Kuettner" wrote
>> "amandaF" schrieb :

>> A little hint : Please leave the name of the poster you're replying
>> to in your answer.

> Yeah, helps but I trim them on reply to just the critical ones. I think it
> may be the newsgroup she's used to (Cisco etc) where the attributes are
> normally removed.

Yes, the unnecessary ones should be removed.
But it's Usenettiquette to leave in the name of the poster you're replying to.
No big thing, but with newsgroup propagation some messages appear
earlier than others; meaning the reply can show up before the post to
which one replied. That can get confusing.

>>> Thanks. The Italian dish I like the most are the ones with butter.

>> Ah, that would be Northern Italian dishes.
>> Dishes like gnocchi with sage-butter ?

> Ohh! Might be! I went for simpler query, being more familiar with what
> passes for 'Italian' here generally. She may be going to the fancier places
> though so gnocchi might be on the menu as well.

Gnocchi ? Fancy ?
<snip>
>> Well, if you find a dish that you want to try to cook yourself, just ask
>> here.

> I might bug ya too so beware ;-)

Well, I'd say that Giusi or Vilco would be the ones to bug.
Although I like to cook Italian and Chinese, my forte is my native
cuisine.
Otherwise I'm shocked about the concept of being bugged about
cooking in a cooking newsgroup. That would even be on-topic ! ;-)

<snip>
>> What's the Persian kabob like ?
>> You see, there are more kebabs or kabobs out there than I can count ;-)

> I think (am not sure) it's more related to the Schwarma type but in smaller
> cubes on a stick? Perhaps shaved off the 'cone' then mounted with veggies.
> Seems to spark a memory of someone else who told me about them. Spicing was a
> dry rub in that version but I forget just what was in it other than it had at
> least one spice USA folks might add sugar to, but they didnt. (think
> cinnimon, nutmeg etc).

I also think it's about the spices. Where's Victor S. when you need him ?
<snip>
>> Don't let them get to you. Calm down and relax and use your killfile.

> Agreed. For me, other than ocasionally ****ing off or ****ing on, Sheldon
> (and he and i get along as often as not if reading the same thread), I pretty
> much get along with everyone.
>
> Call me wierd ;-)

OK, you're weird ;-)

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 4 Nov 2008 10:32:21 -0800 (PST), amandaF wrote:

> On Nov 4, 3:55 am, ravenlynne > wrote:
>> amandaF wrote:

>>> Here come another ...

>>> I am not in Italy and I am not Italian to cook their dished well. Has
>>> practicality ever entered you people's mind before criticizing?

>> Wow. You even beat me out for the defensiveness award.
>>
>> I (normally but not right now) live in Southern italy...lots of roasted
>> veggies and meats there. Pastas with tomato based sauces...it's really
>> not that difficult to find these things when not in Italy. I lived in
>> Japan for 4 years and did well at cooking all types of regional food.

> Here comes another air head. haven't I told you people that I was in
> graduate school tow times- that's two different degrees in two
> different fields and I am not talking about psychology major or
> History major. I do not have the fxxx'n time that you had to spend
> time learning one regional cooking after another. I learn what I want
> to eat (and good for my well being) that's also is practical time-wise
> (by time-wise, I mean.based on my lifestyle, not yours) .
>
> Why do average brains always act like they are smart?Answer: Because
> they are dumb.

my objection to you is not your language, but your hostility and
defensiveness towards some who are trying to help you. (this particular
thread may not be a good example.)

nobody 'just knows' your circumstances, and your earliest posts didn't
display a whole lot of knowledge of any kind of cookery.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 4 Nov 2008 14:23:34 -0600, Ms P wrote:

> "amandaF" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> Look at her first post to this thread.
>>>
>>> She goes on about low-fat eating, then says that's why she doesn't
>>> eat (NOT cooking) Italian. It doesn't make any sense.

>> It doesn't make sense to average brain like yours. Most people, upon
>> knowing that I am an Asian living in US, would know that the Italian
>> cuisine I have been exposed to is the one in the restaurants in US and
>> also that as someone with little skills in even her own cuisine, it
>> would be major effort to cook Italian especially if the dish is to
>> come out Italin.

> And how were people supposed to know you are an Asian living in the US??
> How exactly are people supposed to know all of that until you tell them?
> For someone who claims to be educated you're not using much common sense
> yourself.
>
> Ms P

exactly. she assumes we know her entire biography when she's been reticent
about it herself.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 4, 8:35*pm, "cshenk" > wrote:
> "blake murphy" wrote
> It had honestly not occured to me til now, but it could be I've been working
> and speaking with so many 'English came second' for ages, I may have
> absorbed a way of reading that makes it easier for me.

Much clipped.

This is quite likely. One gets accustomed to non-standard forms of
English with experience. I find that spoken ESL can be confusing if
I run into a new accent. I find that South African black accents are
often difficult as I don't have much familiarity with them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 4 Nov 2008 20:35:26 -0500, cshenk wrote:

>>> What part of she likes italian but isnt sure how to do some of it right
>>> was
>>> not clear?
>>> Her english is excellent. Not native, no, but perfectly understandable.

>> 'excellent'? they must be pretty easy graders where you come from.

> Blake, I didnt indicate there were not things where a person who grew up
> speaking the language would find 'odd', but that she is perfectly
> understandable. I also dont have a problem if she does confuse me, in just
> asking her to rephrase it if I didnt get the meaning the first time.
>
> It had honestly not occured to me til now, but it could be I've been working
> and speaking with so many 'English came second' for ages, I may have
> absorbed a way of reading that makes it easier for me.
>
> When I was a child in Miami FL, years before the state pretty much went
> bilingual, they used to assign a kid with good spoken skills in english to a
> new to USA spanish speaker. I was one of the ones used. My grammer is not
> impeccable, nor is my spelling, but I learned to untangle somewhat 'strange'
> grammer to find the meaning real early.
>
> Is it really possible I have no problem understanding her due to this? That
> the others who understand as well have some multi-lingual association making
> it the same?
>
> Or are some making it an excuse to not bother? I can't tell. When you are
> dang near 50 and a skill comes to play that you learned when 8 and added to
> through the years ever after, it's hard to tell if it's just 'you' or if
> something is really wrong.
>
> Oh, one 'PS': I have dyslexia. That means no one should take spelling
> lessons from me. I assure you and all others, I'm obviously functional
> around it.

i didn't say she was incomprehensible; you can decode (with some care) what
she means. i took issue with 'excellent.'

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 3, 11:45*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "amandaF" > wrote in message

> >> I don't think whatever point you were trying to make come across
> >> coherently.

> >> -sw

> > Anyone with common sense would know that I am only familiar with the
> > Italian food in American restaurants.

> No, Amanda. They would not. Your posts have been nearly incoherent.-

I'm with cshenk. Amanda's posts, in terms of language have been fine;
it's just that the English is not standard-- possibly she is not a
native speaker. But, like cshenk, I am used to working with large
numbers of people for whom English is a second,or third, or maybe
fourth language.

John Kane
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 4, 1:39*pm, amandaF > wrote:

> Why ? You have too much time on your hand and have no life?

Perfectly understandable but the idiom is " You have too much time on
your hands?".
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 4 Nov 2008 14:23:34 -0600, Ms P wrote:

>>> It doesn't make sense to average brain like yours. Most people, upon
>>> knowing that I am an Asian living in US, would know that the Italian
>>> cuisine I have been exposed to is the one in the restaurants in US and
>>> also that as someone with little skills in even her own cuisine, it
>>> would be major effort to cook Italian especially if the dish is to
>>> come out Italin.

>> And how were people supposed to know you are an Asian living in the US??
>> How exactly are people supposed to know all of that until you tell them?
>> For someone who claims to be educated you're not using much common sense
>> yourself.
>>
>> Ms P

> exactly. she assumes we know her entire biography when she's been
> reticent
> about it herself.
>
> your pal,
> blake

Maybe we're all supposed to do the Karnac thing and hold the monitor to our
foreheads?

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kane wrote:

> This is quite likely. One gets accustomed to non-standard forms of
> English with experience. I find that spoken ESL can be confusing if
> I run into a new accent. I find that South African black accents are
> often difficult as I don't have much familiarity with them.

Heck, I have enough trouble with some English accents, and some from
the southern US. And they think they are speaking English. When I was
working in commercial vehicle inspection and dealing with a lot of truck
drivers from the south I often had to have them repeat things several
times before I started to understand. It wasn't so bad when "you" became
"ya'll" but those black rubber things on the wheels are tires not tars.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ms P" > wrote in message

> "blake murphy" > wrote in message

>>> And how were people supposed to know you are an Asian living in the US??
>>> How exactly are people supposed to know all of that until you tell them?
>>> For someone who claims to be educated you're not using much common sense
>>> yourself.
>>>
>>> Ms P

>> exactly. she assumes we know her entire biography when she's been
>> reticent
>> about it herself.
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

> Maybe we're all supposed to do the Karnac thing and hold the monitor to
> our foreheads?

But we're "airheads." Nothing to work with.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

> On Tue, 4 Nov 2008 07:32:24 -0600, Sqwertz wrote:
>
> > Sheldon > wrote:
> >
> >> Actually Amanda expresses herself far more accurately than you do...
> >> you are incabable it appears of writing a properly constructed
> >> sentence.

> > And your sentence above is a shining example of the English language
> > and punctuation?
> >
> > -sw

> tips from sheldon on the art of prose and english usage are always a
> delight.

Just like political "lectures" from you, dearest blake...

:-)

--
Best
Greg

" I find Greg Morrow lowbrow, witless, and obnoxious. For him to claim that
we are some
kind of comedy team turns my stomach."
- "cybercat" to me on rec.food.cooking

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

> On Tue, 4 Nov 2008 10:32:21 -0800 (PST), amandaF wrote:

> >> Wow. You even beat me out for the defensiveness award.
> >>
> >> I (normally but not right now) live in Southern italy...lots of roasted
> >> veggies and meats there. Pastas with tomato based sauces...it's really
> >> not that difficult to find these things when not in Italy. I lived in
> >> Japan for 4 years and did well at cooking all types of regional food.

> > Here comes another air head. haven't I told you people that I was in
> > graduate school tow times- that's two different degrees in two
> > different fields and I am not talking about psychology major or
> > History major. I do not have the fxxx'n time that you had to spend
> > time learning one regional cooking after another. I learn what I want
> > to eat (and good for my well being) that's also is practical time-wise
> > (by time-wise, I mean.based on my lifestyle, not yours) .
> >
> > Why do average brains always act like they are smart?Answer: Because
> > they are dumb.

> my objection to you is not your language, but your hostility and
> defensiveness towards some who are trying to help you. (this particular
> thread may not be a good example.)
>
> nobody 'just knows' your circumstances, and your earliest posts didn't
> display a whole lot of knowledge of any kind of cookery.

So when are you going to offer up this advise to yer good pal cybercat,
blake...???

Or is it simply a case of your typical leftist "situational ethics"...???

Let's face it, honeybunch, associating with the likes of cybercat marks you
as El Bullshitter Surpemo...

--
Best
Greg

" I find Greg Morrow lowbrow, witless, and obnoxious. For him to claim that
we are some
kind of comedy team turns my stomach."
- "cybercat" to me on rec.food.cooking

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"John Kane" wrote
"cshenk" > wrote:

> It had honestly not occured to me til now, but it could be I've been
> working
> and speaking with so many 'English came second' for ages, I may have
> absorbed a way of reading that makes it easier for me.

>Much clipped.

>This is quite likely. One gets accustomed to non-standard forms of
>English with experience. I find that spoken ESL can be confusing if
>I run into a new accent. I find that South African black accents are
>often difficult as I don't have much familiarity with them.

Interesting! My mind is translating ESL as a type of sign language and i
never thought of 'accent' there but yes, a slightly diffferent hand motion
would make for that wouldnt it? You may mean something else though than a
sign language.

It took me a bit of time to get used to Filipeno accents but once I did, it
was easy if it was one I was used to (I think it's 'wari-wari'?? that still
throws me a bit).

Ah, a little google. ESL is 'English as a second language'? Spoken then.
Yes, same thing I am used to all the time now. I'm generally just happy if
we can manage to communicate and not worried if we have to use a few hand
signs to get an idea across a language barrier.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"amandaF" wrote
> "cshenk" > wrote:

>> Grin, logical to me.

>> There are 2 things that a person on a fairly high
>> protein diet needs to avoid excess of to maintain good weight. Those are
>> excess fats (reasonable amounts fine) and excess starch. The Italian
>> sorts
>> of foods you saw here are probably (reasonable guess? Tell me if I am
>> wrong?) Highish in pastas, possibly breads, and maybe cheeses (a fat type
>> you may want to control at least somewhat).

I'll be aiming generally at this, as well as keeping an eye on how long a
dish takes to make. My impression is you dont have time to spend 1 hour a
night cooking up fancy stuff. The only variation there would be things that
take 5 mins of your actual *time* but may take longer to cook (needing
little or no tending while cooking).

>> I don't see anything odd. How big or small you are isnt relevant. It
>> was
>> clearly expressed as not wanting to get bigger than your current size.
>> That
>> could be anyplace from a size 3 to a 2x for all I care. The desire is
>> the
>> same regardless and so would be the general advice.
>>
>> I'd start sending you real recipes, with helpful tips, only I'm pressed
>> for
>> time the next 4 days due to work. If you would prefer (and are
>> comfortable
>> with it) we can take it to email. My address is not munged. There i
>> could
>> send you say, 10 seemingly suitable Italian-American recipes and see if
>> some
>> of them spark your fancy, then narrow down to a better set with those
>> results.

> Thanks for the offer. I too am pressed with time now as I am taking a
> class that is preparation to take an industrial certification which I
> will take some time next year. It requires hand ons experience and so
> I'll have to spend a lot of hours doing actual lab as well as
> simulation software. We can get started when you schedule gets a bit
> better. In fact, I will give you a new email address to use. I use
> this email address to receive posts from software testing and computer
> hardware ngs via an email client; I am not posting in rfc via my email
> client as I did not set up to receive the posts from rfc there in
> order to keep posts not get mixed with the posts form the said two
> groups.

Yes, this works. If later you want to pass me your other email (you have
mine here) I can use it. Might (all willing in advance and in agreement)
pass it to another lady I think you would like. I'd have to ask her (and
you) first though. Nice lady, 1 newborn and 2 toddlers, stay at home sort
who'd bored for adult conversation and looking into simple cooking recipes.
Doesnt do newsgroups at all. Sems a personality match there though not same
circumstances. Later, we can talk about it and see if you are interested in
saying hello to her or not.

Meantime, I can post a few ideas here for you (with recipes) and see what
seems to work well for you.

>> I can probably hit just about any dietary need you have as long as i know
>> enough to be right in what you find acceptable. I note meat is
>> definately
>> on the menu, and so far havent seen any specific types avoided. (Pork is
>> common one and I need know only if you avoid it, not why unless you
>> wanted
>> to mention it).

> Frankly, I don't even like Chicken that much - I like beef only - but
> I try to eat some chicken but I won't mind learning some dish using
> pork as long as it is lean meat type dish. Pot sticker could be one.

Humm! Ok, I do both lean and fatty pork types here. I think you will like
my 'fast fix' pork loin cutlet dish. It's perfect for folks who work long
hours and don't have much time to cook. I have many variations on it but
the base recipe is 'mostly generic asian'. Pork loin is a lean cut.

>> I can of course send the recipes here too. If I do that, more can see
>> them
>> and may find some use for a few of them.

> That would work as well.

Yeah, will. I can start here if I post a few today (no promises, but might
start exporting some tonight).

>> I find true italian cookery, a bit bland. American's tend to spice it up
>> bit more and may even be adding non-authentic spices in there. Like,
>> Zaatar
>> based spagetti sauce ;-)

> I am only used to American version. I met a guy of Italian descent
> and he cooks Italian at home. He told me that it's nothing like what's
> available at the restaurant.
> I don't know whether I'd like the Italian dishes from Italy; I
> probably will.

Dunno! I can send some but will probably not know if they are true
'authentic'. We've had Italian folks here since before were were a separate
country from England.

I used the word 'Fusion' but may not have defined what it means in cooking
terms. It means when you mix 2 cooking styles together. Because of how the
USA started, we have few dishes here that are *not* fusion from someplace
else. If I tracked it right you live in Texas now so see much 'Tex-Mex'
(USA and Mexican).

> BTW, when I mentioned about putting a little bit 3 or 4 veges in
> daal , aside from Garam masala, tamarind sauce is added at the end. I

I've heard of it but not sure if I track having had tamarind.

> learned making this dish from a distant cousin when she visited me. My
> family never made that dish. I made some today and frankly, I am
> having a hard time with the spice. I like the one I made the other day
> where I put only daikon. I think that with the one I made today, I did
> not boil the daal till mushy and so the spice particles are suspended/
> floating in the solution and hence gets to me unlike the other one
> where the daal is mushy and spice blended into the mushy material.

I tend to spicy but not super heat. I will mix many spices in a dish, but
it will not be as hot as Kimchee (though I like that and make my own at
times).

I use lots of garlic as a general habit.

PS: Please, mentioned only briefly but don't use me as a spelling tutor.
If it loooks like I spelled it wrong, I probably did ;-) Dyslexia can be so
much fun! I literally do not 'see' the errors.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"amandaF" wrote
> "cshenk" > wrote:

>> > Then, don't read and much less ..reply. Let someone else who is smart
>> > enough to understand a foreigner (if there is any) reply. In fact,
>> > if Americans in general wants to compete in the global market, stop
>> > complaining how others speak and write English and learn to understand
>> > them.

>> BWAHAHAHA!! Now the Fat's in the fire! (Americanism, meaning it's now
>> sizzling and popping like crazy and getting all loud and stuff).
>>
>> Keep in mind that not all of us are the same.

> I know. I am referring to that type.

Yeah, it's pretty easy to see some are on a bent after you, and some are
just enjoying chatting, and asking things.

>> Lots of nice folks, even some of the ones you are talking to when they
>> are on a different subject (or in a
>> different group).

> I have American friends who are nothing like these air heads.

Sure! Lots of us can be pretty airheaded though! After all, It was *my*
comments that had folks thinking you were possibly from India!

No one can add a life story in a query post or 2. I'm just waiting for
someone to call me on my spelling (evil grin).

Diagnosed with medium-high dyslexia age 7. Per records, 'sorry, but this
kid needs special ed and will never learn to read or write, remand to
special ed classes for duration of schooling years'. I was in 1st grade.
They were right that I have it, but wrong on how I would learn my way past
it. I do occasionally cause problems to folks where english came later in
life though due to my spelling. Thats the only reason I mentioned it in the
thread. If I spell something so 'wierd' you can't figure it out, just ask
and don't be embarrassed about it as I'm not, nor will I be offended.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" wrote

>> It is not surprising that you have not taken the time to learn to boil
>> water at your advanced age.

Ohh you meamie! ;-) Charlotte is laughing and saying she does too know how
to boil water! (She's 14, be 15 soon).

> oookay, maybe kinder and gentler tomorrow.
> lol

Grin, no problem!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael Kuettner" wrote
> "cshenk" schrieb :

>>> A little hint : Please leave the name of the poster you're replying
>>> to in your answer.

>> Yeah, helps but I trim them on reply to just the critical ones. I think
>> it may be the newsgroup she's used to (Cisco etc) where the attributes
>> are normally removed.
>>

> Yes, the unnecessary ones should be removed.

Yup, noted it'm mostly use in this one so left just us there.

>>> Dishes like gnocchi with sage-butter ?

>> Ohh! Might be! I went for simpler query, being more familiar with what
>> passes for 'Italian' here generally. She may be going to the fancier
>> places though so gnocchi might be on the menu as well.
>>

> Gnocchi ? Fancy ?

Well, to *me* it's exotic and fancy! See, it's all relative. On the other
hand, there's probably stuff i think of as common place that you'd think
'fancy'.

Do you think Pancit is 'fancy'? I've heard-tell others say that but to me
it's something the kids make at my house for fun. Suitable for a 6-10 year
old to make (6YO needs help chopping but 10YO does it all themselves).

>> I might bug ya too so beware ;-)
>>

> Well, I'd say that Giusi or Vilco would be the ones to bug.
> Although I like to cook Italian and Chinese, my forte is my native
> cuisine.

Which is? Yes, and I'd bug Giusi (not that familiar with Vilco though he
seems nice the few times I've noted him).

> Otherwise I'm shocked about the concept of being bugged about
> cooking in a cooking newsgroup. That would even be on-topic ! ;-)

Does seem a bit odd dont it? Oh well.

> <snip>
>>> What's the Persian kabob like ?
>>> You see, there are more kebabs or kabobs out there than I can count ;-)

>> I think (am not sure) it's more related to the Schwarma type but in
>> smaller cubes on a stick? Perhaps shaved off the 'cone' then mounted
>> with veggies. Seems to spark a memory of someone else who told me about
>> them. Spicing was a dry rub in that version but I forget just what was
>> in it other than it had at least one spice USA folks might add sugar to,
>> but they didnt. (think cinnimon, nutmeg etc).

> I also think it's about the spices. Where's Victor S. when you need him ?

I might have to hunt that one up.

>> Agreed. For me, other than ocasionally ****ing off or ****ing on,
>> Sheldon (and he and i get along as often as not if reading the same
>> thread), I pretty much get along with everyone.
>>
>> Call me wierd ;-)

> OK, you're weird ;-)

Dang, which one of us has the i and the e swapped there? Dang. Both look
right!
Heck with it. ;-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"amandaF" wrote
> "cshenk" > wrote:

>> I didn't see any flames,

> That's because I did not.

All I can say is if there were any, they escaped my notice.

>> then an answer that she
>> didnt want to post in a public venue, what her first language was.

>> That her right.

> Thanks you.

No problem. It's a sadness to me that I remain 'mono-lingual' but I am (I
think) not at all mono-cultural. That gets me in trouble sometimes.

My experince is that most USA folks think they are not mono-cultural
'because I have this friend who lives near or works with me and we get
along'. Or you might get 'I've visited Europe' (5 days, 20 countries though
I exxagurate there).

Few people of *any* country have really *lived* outside their own for
significant time frames. We are no different here on that, but being such a
big place, we may not recognize the influx of culture that places that can
drive to another country in just 2-3 hours have. I mean face it, we have
Mexico and Canada, and a few islands nearish but thats about it.

>> Just like I asked if she found pork acceptable, I see no
>> answer. I didnt ask if it was religion or other based, just needed to
>> know
>> so I could send suitable recipes to her is all.
>>
>> Imagine a post from someone in Israeal. They'd more likely than not be
>> either Islamic or Jewish. Neither eat pork. You'd just ask if pork was
>> on
>> or off the menu. If she were on eof the religions that dont allow beef,
>> you'd ask before you sent a grunch of beef recipes right?
>>
>> My first presumption that she might be from India is not accurate, but
>> Asia
>> is (and pretty sure not japan). That means a gamut of foods she may or
>> may
>> not find acceptable. She may eat everything that doesnt fly, crawl, or
>> run
>> faster than her, or she may have limits on some of them. Why is her own
>> business if she doesnt want to say, but I've asked just so I can set up a
>> few recipes for her. I didnt ask 'why' but I asked 'what'. The 'what'
>> is
>> all I need to send out a few recipes.
>>
>> There's a difference in our view here.
>>
>> To flesh this out: Lets say I asked for a low sugar jam. Probably most
>> would 'assume' I was diabetic. I'm not but that would be very reasonable
>> as
>> most who ask for such are. I might reply, 'no I am not diabetic but need
>> low sugar'. Next person in line assumes I'm a behemoth trying to lose
>> weight (grin). I object and tell'em no and the fight is on!

> Well said.

(wink). I can see it and laugh but i know it's not fun or funny from your
end.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" wrote
> "cshenk" > wrote in message

>>> Right. She's an ass who could not be bothered to post so that people
>>> could understand what she is saying, and when I asked, in the midst of
>>> others flaming her, if English was her second language, she flamed me.

This is you calling her an ass.

>> I didn't see any flames, just a 'why do you ask'

> This is a flame:
>
> On Nov 3, 8:45 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:

This is you calling her paranoid when she's asking for basic recipes. Her
post is just 'no offense to anyone'.

Here she asks a question. It is as close as she gets to any flame at all
when she asks if folks are practical before critizizing.

>> > I do not want to share this info in newsgroups.

This is her saying she doesnt want to give out personal information.

>> Honey, it is pretty obvious that you cannot write English very well. If
>> it
>> is your native language, you need to slow down and take more care with
>> your
>> posts so that your posts are understandable. If it is not, you need to
>> slow
>> down and take more care with your posts so that we can understand them.

This is you telling her she is again not understandable.

>>Blah..blah..blah..

This is her not flaming you, but saying you make no sense and are
ignorable?.

> She's an asshole.

This is you flaming her. Pretty sure not the first, but I used only what
you quoted here.

Cyber, we get along fine but she's not the same personality and not taking
this in stride. I do not know if it is a culture difference or a language
difference here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> "cybercat" wrote
>
>>> It is not surprising that you have not taken the time to learn to boil
>>> water at your advanced age.

> Ohh you meamie! ;-) Charlotte is laughing and saying she does too know
> how to boil water! (She's 14, be 15 soon).
>
>> oookay, maybe kinder and gentler tomorrow.
>> lol

> Grin, no problem!

She flamed me first, damn it. I was being nice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote
> Cyber, we get along fine but she's not the same personality and not taking
> this in stride. I do not know if it is a culture difference or a language
> difference here.

Oh please. Find a more deserving project. Amanda is an arrogant, entitled
asshole.

An ASSHOLE.

I'm pretty much finished discussing this particular asshole.

(Try reading the thread in chronological order. Or, if you already have,
perhaps you have some sort of arterial flow problem.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> "amandaF" wrote
>> "cshenk" > wrote:

>>> I didn't see any flames,

>> That's because I did not.

> All I can say is if there were any, they escaped my notice.
>
>>> then an answer that she
>>> didnt want to post in a public venue, what her first language was.

>>> That her right.

>> Thanks you.

> No problem. It's a sadness to me that I remain 'mono-lingual' but I am (I
> think) not at all mono-cultural. That gets me in trouble sometimes.
>
> My experince is that most USA folks think they are not mono-cultural
> 'because I have this friend who lives near or works with me and we get
> along'. Or you might get 'I've visited Europe' (5 days, 20 countries
> though I exxagurate there).
>
> Few people of *any* country have really *lived* outside their own for
> significant time frames. We are no different here on that, but being such
> a big place, we may not recognize the influx of culture that places that
> can drive to another country in just 2-3 hours have. I mean face it, we
> have Mexico and Canada, and a few islands nearish but thats about it.
>
>>> Just like I asked if she found pork acceptable, I see no
>>> answer. I didnt ask if it was religion or other based, just needed to
>>> know
>>> so I could send suitable recipes to her is all.
>>>
>>> Imagine a post from someone in Israeal. They'd more likely than not be
>>> either Islamic or Jewish. Neither eat pork. You'd just ask if pork was
>>> on
>>> or off the menu. If she were on eof the religions that dont allow beef,
>>> you'd ask before you sent a grunch of beef recipes right?
>>>
>>> My first presumption that she might be from India is not accurate, but
>>> Asia
>>> is (and pretty sure not japan). That means a gamut of foods she may or
>>> may
>>> not find acceptable. She may eat everything that doesnt fly, crawl, or
>>> run
>>> faster than her, or she may have limits on some of them. Why is her own
>>> business if she doesnt want to say, but I've asked just so I can set up
>>> few recipes for her. I didnt ask 'why' but I asked 'what'. The 'what'
>>> is
>>> all I need to send out a few recipes.
>>>
>>> There's a difference in our view here.
>>>
>>> To flesh this out: Lets say I asked for a low sugar jam. Probably most
>>> would 'assume' I was diabetic. I'm not but that would be very
>>> reasonable as
>>> most who ask for such are. I might reply, 'no I am not diabetic but
>>> need
>>> low sugar'. Next person in line assumes I'm a behemoth trying to lose
>>> weight (grin). I object and tell'em no and the fight is on!

>> Well said.

> (wink). I can see it and laugh but i know it's not fun or funny from your
> end.

It's not funny from here, either. Amanda is a pill. One of those
self-important idiots who thinks they are cute and that the world hangs on
their words. News flash: nobody gives a shit. It's Usenet. Ask your
question, make your statement, and **** off.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 5, 10:32*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "cshenk" > wrote
>
> > Cyber, we get along fine but she's not the same personality and not taking
> > this in stride. *I do not know if it is a culture difference or a language
> > difference here.

> Oh please. Find a more deserving project. Amanda is an arrogant, entitled
> asshole.
>
> An ASSHOLE.
>
> I'm pretty much finished discussing this particular asshole.
>
> (Try reading the thread in chronological order. Or, if you already have,
> perhaps you have some sort of arterial flow problem.)

"The bride 'cybercat' loud and clear cried

When she fell in the shit house and near died

hubby blake really awoke

And he nearly had a stroke

When he found he loved the SCHTINK on his bride..."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> "cshenk" > wrote in message
>> "cybercat" wrote

>> Ohh you meamie! ;-) Charlotte is laughing and saying she does too know
>> how to boil water! (She's 14, be 15 soon).
>>
>>> oookay, maybe kinder and gentler tomorrow.
>>> lol

>> Grin, no problem!

> She flamed me first, damn it. I was being nice.

Actually you weren't and it is inexcusable. You really showed what you
are all about.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> "cshenk" > wrote in message
>>> That's because I did not.

>> All I can say is if there were any, they escaped my notice.

>>> Thanks you.

>> No problem. It's a sadness to me that I remain 'mono-lingual' but I am (I
>> think) not at all mono-cultural. That gets me in trouble sometimes.
>>
>> My experince is that most USA folks think they are not mono-cultural
>> 'because I have this friend who lives near or works with me and we get
>> along'. Or you might get 'I've visited Europe' (5 days, 20 countries
>> though I exxagurate there).
>>
>> Few people of *any* country have really *lived* outside their own for
>> significant time frames. We are no different here on that, but being such
>> a big place, we may not recognize the influx of culture that places that
>> can drive to another country in just 2-3 hours have. I mean face it, we
>> have Mexico and Canada, and a few islands nearish but thats about it.

>>> Well said.

>> (wink). I can see it and laugh but i know it's not fun or funny from your
>> end.
>>

> It's not funny from here, either. Amanda is a pill. One of those
> self-important idiots who thinks they are cute and that the world hangs on
> their words. News flash: nobody gives a shit. It's Usenet. Ask your
> question, make your statement, and **** off.

Sorry, no way to backpeddle for the way you behaved. You are what you
are. Don't try to transfer blame to others.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default cyber**** shows its proficiency at hypocrisy

cyber**** wrote:

> Amanda is a pill. One of those self-important idiots who thinks they are
> cute and that the world hangs on their words. News flash: nobody gives a
> shit. It's Usenet. Ask your question, make your statement, and **** off.

Thus the self-important idiot cyberPot calls the KettleF black:

"O wad some Pow'r the giftie gie us
To see oursels as others see us"

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George" > wrote :

>> It's not funny from here, either. Amanda is a pill. One of those
>> self-important idiots who thinks they are cute and that the world hangs
>> on their words. News flash: nobody gives a shit. It's Usenet. Ask your
>> question, make your statement, and **** off.

> Sorry, no way to backpeddle for the way you behaved. You are what you are.
> Don't try to transfer blame to others.

I am not backpeddling, you halfwit. Where do you see a backpeddle? Amanda is
an obnoxious asshole. I was trying to be helpful, and got the same raft of
condescending crap ravenlynne, cshenk and others did.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George" > wrote in message
> cybercat wrote:
>> "cshenk" > wrote in message
>>> "cybercat" wrote

>>> Ohh you meamie! ;-) Charlotte is laughing and saying she does too know
>>> how to boil water! (She's 14, be 15 soon).

>>> Grin, no problem!

>> She flamed me first, damn it. I was being nice.

> Actually you weren't and it is inexcusable. You really showed what you are
> all about.

You've said that once. Are you stuck in some kind of endless loop?

Yes, I am all about asking very nicely if English is the second language of
someone posting like a developmentally impaired clown. And when they react
in an offensive way, I am all about calling them a MORON.

It's what I am all about. It's what I do. It's what I live for.

Meanwhile, Obama is president. We put up with your schmuck so try hard to
get your panties unwadded and put up with ours.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

amandaF wrote:
> On Nov 4, 3:55 am, ravenlynne > wrote:
>> amandaF wrote:
>>> Here come another ...
>>> I am not in Italy and I am not Italian to cook their dished well. Has
>>> practicality ever entered you people's mind before criticizing?

>> Wow. You even beat me out for the defensiveness award.
>>
>> I (normally but not right now) live in Southern italy...lots of roasted
>> veggies and meats there. Pastas with tomato based sauces...it's really
>> not that difficult to find these things when not in Italy. I lived in
>> Japan for 4 years and did well at cooking all types of regional food.

> Here comes another air head. haven't I told you people that I was in
> graduate school tow times- that's two different degrees in two
> different fields and I am not talking about psychology major or
> History major. I do not have the fxxx'n time that you had to spend
> time learning one regional cooking after another. I learn what I want
> to eat (and good for my well being) that's also is practical time-wise
> (by time-wise, I mean.based on my lifestyle, not yours) .
>
> Why do average brains always act like they are smart?Answer: Because
> they are dumb.

Sorry you feel so bad about yourself that you feel the need to put
others down to make yourself feel better. Counseling may help. That
being said, a person can get a good idea about regional cuising by
eating in a ****ing restaraunt you blithering idiot. You know NOTHING
about my lifestyle.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ravenlynne" > wrote in message
> amandaF wrote:
>>> Wow. You even beat me out for the defensiveness award.
>>>
>>> I (normally but not right now) live in Southern italy...lots of roasted
>>> veggies and meats there. Pastas with tomato based sauces...it's really
>>> not that difficult to find these things when not in Italy. I lived in
>>> Japan for 4 years and did well at cooking all types of regional food.

>> Here comes another air head. haven't I told you people that I was in
>> graduate school tow times- that's two different degrees in two
>> different fields and I am not talking about psychology major or
>> History major. I do not have the fxxx'n time that you had to spend
>> time learning one regional cooking after another. I learn what I want
>> to eat (and good for my well being) that's also is practical time-wise
>> (by time-wise, I mean.based on my lifestyle, not yours) .
>>
>> Why do average brains always act like they are smart?Answer: Because
>> they are dumb.
>>

> Sorry you feel so bad about yourself that you feel the need to put others
> down to make yourself feel better. Counseling may help. That being said,
> a person can get a good idea about regional cuising by eating in a ****ing
> restaraunt you blithering idiot. You know NOTHING about my lifestyle.

Now, now, Ravenlynne, this is all MY fault. Ask George. How can you possibly
say such mean things about sweet Amanda? She is a VICTIM here. And a
charmer, too, I might add. It is so pleasant to read near-nonsense written
by someone who is capable of writing perfectly clearly when they put forth
the effort. So delightful to be jumped when trying to be helpful, and
assumed to be a Greg Morrow type of single-eyebrowed xenophobe. (I went to
school at University of Houston, and lived in Houston for six years. No
International folks there, not a single Asian, African, etc. Yah right.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 5, 2:38*pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
> John Kane wrote:
>
> > This is quite likely. One gets accustomed to non-standard forms of
> > English with experience. *I *find that spoken ESL can be confusing if
> > I run into a new accent. *I find that South African black accents are
> > often difficult as I don't have much familiarity with them.

> Heck, I have enough trouble with some English accents, and *some from
> the southern US. And they think they are speaking English. When I was
> working in commercial vehicle inspection and dealing with a lot of truck
> drivers from the south I often had to have them repeat things several
> times before I started to understand. It wasn't so bad when "you" became
> "ya'll" but those black rubber things on the wheels are tires not tars.

I worked with a number of Irishmen and two of them from County XXX(I
forget which one) were unintelligible. Even the other Irishmen said
that they could not understand the accents.

John Kane Kingston ON Canada
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 5, 7:55*pm, "cshenk" > wrote:
> "John Kane" wrote
>
> "cshenk" > wrote:
> > It had honestly not occured to me til now, but it could be I've been
> > working
> > and speaking with so many 'English came second' for ages, I may have
> > absorbed a way of reading that makes it easier for me.
> >Much clipped.
> >This is quite likely. One gets accustomed to non-standard forms of
> >English with experience. *I *find that spoken ESL can be confusing if
> >I run into a new accent. *I find that South African black accents are
> >often difficult as I don't have much familiarity with them.

> Interesting! *My mind is translating ESL as a type of sign language and i
> never thought of 'accent' there but yes, a slightly diffferent hand motion
> would make for that wouldnt it? *You may mean something else though than a
> sign language.

Strange, I've heard of ASL but ESL is a standard term for English as a
Second Language in Canada.

EFL is English as a Foreign Language -- a term used but less
commonly. The difference between ESL and EFL, as a linguistics prof
explained it to me is that ESL students are from a similar culture
whereas EFL students are from a different culture. The example he
used was Québecois learning English in Canada are ESL students,
Chinese learning English in Canada are EFL students. One can talk
hockey with the Québecois students more easily than with the Chinese
students.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> cyber**** wrote:
>
> > Amanda is a pill. One of those self-important idiots who thinks they are
> > cute and that the world hangs on their words. News flash: nobody gives a
> > shit. It's Usenet. Ask your question, make your statement, and **** off.

> Thus the self-important idiot cyberPot calls the KettleF black:
>
> "O wad some Pow'r the giftie gie us
> To see oursels as others see us"

Lol...

For xmas I suggest we send cyberkettle a bunch of spoiled haggis...

--
Best
Greg

" I find Greg Morrow lowbrow, witless, and obnoxious. For him to claim that
we are some
kind of comedy team turns my stomach."
- "cybercat" to me on rec.food.cooking

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 5, 5:42*pm, "cshenk" > wrote:

> >> BWAHAHAHA!! *Now the Fat's in the fire! *(Americanism, meaning it's now
> >> sizzling and popping like crazy and getting all loud and stuff).

> >> Keep in mind that not all of us are the same.

> > I know. I am referring to that type.

> Yeah, it's pretty easy to see some are on a bent after you, and some are
> just enjoying chatting, and asking things.
>
> >> *Lots of nice folks, even some *of the ones you are talking to when they
> >> are on a different subject (or in a
> >> different group).

> > I have American friends *who are nothing like these air heads.

> Sure! *Lots of us can be pretty airheaded though! *After all, It was *my*
> comments that had folks thinking you were possibly from India!

What I meant by airhead was more of an attitude/behavior towrad me
than making the wrong assumption. Those holier-than-thou picked on me
(possibly to get entertainment) and then cliam that they were trying
to help. Hilarious.

The only crime, if it could be considered a crime, I committed was
that when I am in a rush, I tend to ignore spelling, grammer, and
sentence structure, in situations where I can afford to not worry
about such as posting in ngs. As a non native speaker of English, it
takes a little extra effort to make sure of all that which I choe not
to when I don't have time. To thoise who think it is the end of the
world, sue me. Those who had/have a hard time understaning my pot had
a choice to not read but they chose to, and then expect me to feel
grateful for their supposedly trying to help me by attacking me with
their pettiness.

I am extremely pressed with time to cook; I only bogutht hose veges
and steaned them because that way, I won't have to do grocery shopping
for veges till my claas is over, i.e till X'Mas time.

I will send you an email and give you my other email address. About
the lady you mentioned. Right now, I won't have time to communicate.
May be later.

> No one can add a life story in a query post or 2. *I'm just waiting for
> someone to call me on my spelling (evil grin).
>
> Diagnosed with medium-high dyslexia age 7. *Per records, 'sorry, but this
> kid needs special ed and will never learn to read or write, remand to
> special ed classes for duration of schooling years'. *I was in 1st grade.
> They were right that I have it, but wrong on how I would learn my way past
> it. *I do occasionally cause problems to folks where english came later in
> life though due to my spelling. *Thats the only reason I mentioned it in the
> thread. *If I spell something so 'wierd' you can't figure it out, just ask
> and don't be embarrassed about it as I'm not, nor will I be offended.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 6, 3:54*am, George > wrote:
> cybercat wrote:
> > "cshenk" > wrote in message
> >> "cybercat" wrote

> >> Ohh you meamie! *;-) *Charlotte is laughing and saying she does too know
> >> how to boil water! *(She's 14, be 15 soon).

> >> Grin, no problem!

> > She flamed me first, damn it. I was being nice.

> Actually you weren't

That's the bottom line. She wasn't and she wanted to be acknowledge
as she was nice. She is ignroable to me and hence "Blah..blah..blah"
was what she got from me.

> and it is inexcusable.
> You really showed what you are all about.

Yes, she did, sadly I might add.