Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

Default high protein, low carb pasta

On Tuesday, April 4, 2017 at 10:31:23 AM UTC-7, ImStillMags wrote:
> I bought some of this to try. It has mixed reviews on Amazon. I am keeping to a low carb diet for health so I've been searching for a low carb pasta that is actually pasta-like.
>
> I'll report on what I do with it and how it comes out.
>
> https://isolatorfitness.com/low-carb-pasta
>
> anyone here had any experience with this product?

Well, this was an interesting experiment.

The directions say to cook the pasta for 30 MINUTES. I read in some of the reviews that it was mushy after that time so I only cooked it for 20 minutes. Drained it and set it aside. I sauteed a couple of large cloves of garlic, chopped, in some butter and the olive oil from a jar of sundried tomatoes. Then put in some chopped sundried tomatoes, a couple tablespoons of cream, salt, pepper and a bit of chicken stock. Let that boil for a minute and then added some chopped bacon. Then I added the pasta back and let it boil for a minute or two in the sauce. I knew the pasta would not take up any more moisture so the sauce had to be a coating sauce. Added some parsley, grated parmesan and some crumbled Feta.

I'm glad I did not cook the pasta for the called for 30 minutes. 20 minutes was enough and it was just al dente. The texture is a bit rougher than regular pasta and the flavor is more like a whole wheat pasta.

It's not terrible. It's not wonderful either. It's a decent substitute when you are craving some carb loaded pasta but you do have to understand that it does not act like regular pasta and make it accordingly.

I would not use this for a cold pasta salad. Texture is wrong for that.

https://goo.gl/photos/9m4gXN2XoY773mpb8
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ImStillMags" wrote in message

On Tuesday, April 4, 2017 at 10:31:23 AM UTC-7, ImStillMags wrote:
> I bought some of this to try. It has mixed reviews on Amazon. I am
> keeping to a low carb diet for health so I've been searching for a low
> carb pasta that is actually pasta-like.
>
> I'll report on what I do with it and how it comes out.
>
> https://isolatorfitness.com/low-carb-pasta
>
> anyone here had any experience with this product?

Well, this was an interesting experiment.

The directions say to cook the pasta for 30 MINUTES. I read in some of the
reviews that it was mushy after that time so I only cooked it for 20
minutes. Drained it and set it aside. I sauteed a couple of large cloves
of garlic, chopped, in some butter and the olive oil from a jar of sundried
tomatoes. Then put in some chopped sundried tomatoes, a couple tablespoons
of cream, salt, pepper and a bit of chicken stock. Let that boil for a
minute and then added some chopped bacon. Then I added the pasta back and
let it boil for a minute or two in the sauce. I knew the pasta would not
take up any more moisture so the sauce had to be a coating sauce. Added
some parsley, grated parmesan and some crumbled Feta.

I'm glad I did not cook the pasta for the called for 30 minutes. 20 minutes
was enough and it was just al dente. The texture is a bit rougher than
regular pasta and the flavor is more like a whole wheat pasta.

It's not terrible. It's not wonderful either. It's a decent substitute
when you are craving some carb loaded pasta but you do have to understand
that it does not act like regular pasta and make it accordingly.

I would not use this for a cold pasta salad. Texture is wrong for that.

https://goo.gl/photos/9m4gXN2XoY773mpb8
====

It looks good! Real pasta or not

--