FoodBanter.com

-   -   I am not from India; just trying to cook high protein non-eat dishes(hence Indian but not as much spice) with the least amount of oil (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/163494-i-am-not-india.html)

amandaF 03-11-2008 12:27 AM

I am not from India; just trying to cook high protein non-eat dishes(hence Indian but not as much spice) with the least amount of oil

I know that this a cooking group where people cook and eat with
worrying about oil and butter so no offense to anyone . Just that I am
not too old and good looking and don't want to get fat. Aside from not
being able to handle extra weight (because I have a slender body
frame), I don't have money to buy new clothes of (the next size up)
either:)

By limiting use of oil, I can eat cheese and dessert a bit. I also
avoid cheap candies so that I can eat dessert when I go to the
restaurant though I am not eating dessert much these days. In fact, I
am going to do weight training using free weight.

Again, no offense to anyone; just sharing why I make certain dishes
rather than eating my favorite cuisine all the time: Italian.

amandaF 03-11-2008 12:29 AM

On Nov 2, 3:27 pm, amandaF > wrote:
> I know that this a cooking group where people cook and eat with

this is a cooking group

I meant to say "without"

telephone 03-11-2008 12:34 AM

On 2 Nov, 18:29, amandaF > wrote:
> On Nov 2, 3:27 pm, amandaF > wrote:
>
> > I know that this *a cooking group where people cook and eat with

> this is *a cooking group

No it's not. It's a group for people who can't get beyond 'Betty
Crocker' style cookery. Good cooks not welcome here. And that's your
loss.

cybercat 03-11-2008 12:58 AM

"amandaF" > wrote in message
> On Nov 2, 3:27 pm, amandaF > wrote:
>> I know that this a cooking group where people cook and eat with

> this is a cooking group
>
> I meant to say "without"

slowwwww down amannnnndahhhhhh .... :)

dejablues 03-11-2008 02:41 AM

"telephone" > wrote in message

>No it's not. It's a group for people who can't get beyond 'Betty
>Crocker' style cookery. Good cooks not welcome here. And that's your
>loss.

This, plus your shoemaker references make me think that you are quite
elderly and/or haven't kept up with the times. Betty Crocker cookbooks are
rather old-fashioned and have recipes that are more time-consuming than what
people want today. They were en vogue from the 1920's to perhaps the
1970's - every housewife had that ubiquitous red-and-white checkered
cookbook on the shelf. Ms. Crocker's fictional persona has been updated
several times since her first incarnation .
While Betty Crocker recipes may have been bland, unadventurous, and lacking
in ethnic diversity, they very much required that people cook "from
scratch" , use real ingredients, and have the time to do so - things that
many people are now not able or willing to do.

"Good cook" is rather a subjective description. A while back, someone in
this newsgroup referred to the Amish as being "good cooks". Putting
something hot, filling, and reasonably edible on the table may be the mark
of a good cook to some. Throwing together a tasty meal made from three
ingredients in less than 30 minutes may mean a good cook in someone elses's
opinion.

Paul M. Cook 03-11-2008 03:38 AM

"amandaF" > wrote in message
> On Nov 2, 3:27 pm, amandaF > wrote:
>> I know that this a cooking group where people cook and eat with

> this is a cooking group
>
> I meant to say "without"

So by non-eat dishes, what do you mean?

Paul

amandaF 03-11-2008 04:52 AM

On Nov 2, 6:38 pm, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
> "amandaF" > wrote in message

> > On Nov 2, 3:27 pm, amandaF > wrote:
> >> I know that this a cooking group where people cook and eat with

> > this is a cooking group

> > I meant to say "without"

> So by non-eat dishes, what do you mean?
>
> Paul

Non-meat dishes...

Paul M. Cook 03-11-2008 05:18 AM

"amandaF" > wrote in message
> On Nov 2, 6:38 pm, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:

>> > this is a cooking group

>> > I meant to say "without"

>> So by non-eat dishes, what do you mean?
>>
>> Paul

> Non-meat dishes...

Ah, ok, well that changes everything.

India is rich in vegetarian end vegan cuisine. You will never go hungry
with their cuisine no matter what foods you prefer. I make a couple of
dishes often. I love palak paneer which is spinach and cheese. My favorite
dish. If you do a Google search you will find a wealth of online videos
showing you how to make it. And you can make your own paneer cheese very
easily. It's rather fun, too. Then we have sag aloo which is spinach and
potatoes and is a huge hit with any foodie. Now if you don't want to cook
something from scratch you can always get the jarred tadkas and make lovely
curries by simply cooking up some fresh veggies and tossing it with the
tadka. Serve over basmati rice for a quick and easy meal. I find the
Patak's brand to be very good and not hard to find in most any large market.

If you wanted one search item for Google, try Madhur Jaffrey. She is a
famous Indian chef and her recipes are all over the Internet and in
cookbooks.

Get your spices online. Be sure to keep plenty of garam masala on hand.
It's a staple ingredient.

When it comes to vegetarian, Indian cuisine probably beats them all.

Paul

hahabogus 03-11-2008 08:06 AM

I am not from India; just trying to cook high protein non-eat dishes (hence Indian but not as much spice) with the least amount of oil

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in news:gelu24$opd$1
@registered.motzarella.org:

>> Non-meat dishes...

> Ah, ok, well that changes everything.

All my dishes are made of China or ceramics. Wouldn't meat dishes kinda
smell after say a week? Some folk use silver others plastic or wood
dishes...paper plates are kinda handy at times...can't really grasp the
concept of meat dishes though.

--

The beet goes on -Alan

Sqwertz 03-11-2008 12:33 PM

amandaF > wrote:

> Again, no offense to anyone; just sharing why I make certain dishes
> rather than eating my favorite cuisine all the time: Italian.

Sounds like you've invented a paranoid solution to a non-problem
(kinda like a drawn-out Americas's Test Kitchen recipe). Italy has
one of the lowest obesity rates in the world - 24th on a list of 29
countries.

-sw

Ms P 03-11-2008 04:09 PM

"dejablues" > wrote in message

> "telephone" > wrote in message
>

>>No it's not. It's a group for people who can't get beyond 'Betty
>>Crocker' style cookery. Good cooks not welcome here. And that's your
>>loss.

> This, plus your shoemaker references make me think that you are quite
> elderly and/or haven't kept up with the times. Betty Crocker cookbooks are
> rather old-fashioned and have recipes that are more time-consuming than
> what people want today. They were en vogue from the 1920's to perhaps the
> 1970's - every housewife had that ubiquitous red-and-white checkered
> cookbook on the shelf.

Betty Crocker cook books are not red and white checkered.

Ms P

Omelet[_7_] 03-11-2008 06:59 PM

I am not from India; just trying to cook high protein non-eat (??) dishes

In article >,
"Ms P" > wrote:

> > This, plus your shoemaker references make me think that you are quite
> > elderly and/or haven't kept up with the times. Betty Crocker cookbooks are
> > rather old-fashioned and have recipes that are more time-consuming than
> > what people want today. They were en vogue from the 1920's to perhaps the
> > 1970's - every housewife had that ubiquitous red-and-white checkered
> > cookbook on the shelf.

> Betty Crocker cook books are not red and white checkered.
>
> Ms P

Really old ones are. I should know. I have my moms.
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama

jmcquown[_2_] 03-11-2008 07:49 PM

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> "Ms P" > wrote:
>
>>> This, plus your shoemaker references make me think that you are
>>> quite elderly and/or haven't kept up with the times. Betty Crocker
>>> cookbooks are rather old-fashioned and have recipes that are more
>>> time-consuming than what people want today. They were en vogue from
>>> the 1920's to perhaps the 1970's - every housewife had that
>>> ubiquitous red-and-white checkered cookbook on the shelf.

>> Betty Crocker cook books are not red and white checkered.
>>
>> Ms P

> Really old ones are. I should know. I have my moms.

Naw, the old ones (from the 1950's) are plain red, not checkered.

Jill

The Cook 03-11-2008 07:59 PM

I am not from India; just trying to cook high protein non-eat (??) dishes

On Mon, 03 Nov 2008 11:59:48 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >,
> "Ms P" > wrote:
>
>> > This, plus your shoemaker references make me think that you are quite
>> > elderly and/or haven't kept up with the times. Betty Crocker cookbooks are
>> > rather old-fashioned and have recipes that are more time-consuming than
>> > what people want today. They were en vogue from the 1920's to perhaps the
>> > 1970's - every housewife had that ubiquitous red-and-white checkered
>> > cookbook on the shelf.

>> Betty Crocker cook books are not red and white checkered.
>>
>> Ms P

>Really old ones are. I should know. I have my moms.

The first one was 1950, red with white swirls on it. I have a copy of
every version and none of them have a checked cover. Better Home and
Gardens has a red & white check on the cover.

Here is the link to a page from the 1986 book with pictures of all of
the Betty Crocker cookbooks from 1950 to 1978.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=1582is6&s=4

I can take a picture of the 1951 and 1968 Better Homes and Garden
Cookbooks if you like.

If you have a copy from that period with a different cover, I would
like to see a picture.

cshenk 03-11-2008 08:31 PM

I am not from India; just trying to cook high protein non-eat dishes (hence Indian but not as much spice) with the least amount of oil

"amandaF" wrote

>I know that this a cooking group where people cook and eat with
> worrying about oil and butter so no offense to anyone

Actually there are other reasons. My husband and I are entering the older
phase of life. He's had one mini-stroke and now has to be on lower salt
intake and i have cholestrol problems as well as sugar ones, so we have to
be a bit adaptive in our cookery due to that.

Others here probably have other needs.

> Just that I am
> not too old and good looking and don't want to get fat. Aside from not
> being able to handle extra weight (because I have a slender body
> frame), I don't have money to buy new clothes of (the next size up)
> either:)

Hehe not getting too fat is a good thing. I also have to watch for that due
to some issues with my back (which cant stand the strain of me ever getting
too fat).

I find that a balanced diet, high in veggies and fruit, and lower in meat
and careful use of fats, works for me. I've been graced with a high
metabolism so weight control is easier for me than most.

> By limiting use of oil, I can eat cheese and dessert a bit. I also

Yes, that is one way. Another thing you may want to consider is what types
of oils you use. I use mostly olive oil, and not the most expensive one,
but a ecet enough brand. When things call for butter saute, I mix butter
with some olive oil and find the effect works for me.

I dont buy margarine at all anymore. I use real butter in sensible amounts
and if more is needed for a recipe, mix in olive oil.

> avoid cheap candies so that I can eat dessert when I go to the
> restaurant though I am not eating dessert much these days. In fact, I
> am going to do weight training using free weight.

I don't *like* sweets much. Wierd as it may sound, if a person grows up
with a sugar imbalance from childhood, that is often true. Fresh fruit is
all the sweets I want. I am not diabetic, but the other sort and it's
controlled by diet. Has been under control since I was 19 (had a gap there
that landed me in a hospital and learned my lesson well).

> Again, no offense to anyone; just sharing why I make certain dishes
> rather than eating my favorite cuisine all the time: Italian.

Humm! I simply can not make italian. Oh, I try! But no matter how good my
intentions, I start 'fusioning it' to something else and though the end
result is good, it's no longer really 'Italian' anymore.

Often it becomes something sorta 'Greek-Italian' with a bit of Spain added
in, or might be Arab influenced ;-)

cshenk 03-11-2008 08:37 PM

I am not from India; just trying to cook high protein non-eat dishes (hence Indian but not as much spice) with the least amount of oil

"Paul M. Cook" wrote

> India is rich in vegetarian end vegan cuisine. You will never go hungry
> with their cuisine no matter what foods you prefer. I make a couple of
> dishes often.

I've been meaning to investigate that cuisine for years. In Darwin (OZ)
there was a little shop up the road from the fishing supply lure store, that
had wonderful Indian foods. I've eaten at other places with Indian foods
but not that good.

> I love palak paneer which is spinach and cheese. My favorite dish. If
> you do a Google search you will find a wealth of online videos showing you
> how to make it.

I've seen that. Doesnt look hard to do.

> potatoes and is a huge hit with any foodie. Now if you don't want to cook
> something from scratch you can always get the jarred tadkas and make
> lovely curries by simply cooking up some fresh veggies and tossing it with
> the tadka. Serve over basmati rice for a quick and easy meal. I find the
> Patak's brand to be very good and not hard to find in most any large
> market.

I like seeing a brand name recommended. Helps with filtering so many other
things out.

> Get your spices online. Be sure to keep plenty of garam masala on hand.
> It's a staple ingredient.

I have lots of it. Quite useful in many things not even thought of as
'indian'.

Dimitri 03-11-2008 08:56 PM

"telephone" > wrote in message
On 2 Nov, 18:29, amandaF > wrote:
> On Nov 2, 3:27 pm, amandaF > wrote:
>
> > I know that this a cooking group where people cook and eat with

> this is a cooking group

No it's not. It's a group for people who can't get beyond 'Betty
Crocker' style cookery. Good cooks not welcome here. And that's your
loss.

How would you know? You certainly don't qualify on either count.

Dimitri

Omelet[_7_] 03-11-2008 09:17 PM

"jmcquown" > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:

> >> Betty Crocker cook books are not red and white checkered.
> >>
> >> Ms P

> > Really old ones are. I should know. I have my moms.

> Naw, the old ones (from the 1950's) are plain red, not checkered.
>
> Jill

Mine must be older than that tho'. It's currently a bit buried at the
moment or I'd take a pic.

It's checkered.

I have stuff from 4 dead people now to sort thru when I can get sis' off
her ass to help me. She needs to decide what she wants. I'm at the
point in my life where I don't care anymore. I just want to get rid of
STUFF.

Omelet[_7_] 03-11-2008 09:20 PM

The Cook > wrote:

> On Mon, 03 Nov 2008 11:59:48 -0600, Omelet >
> wrote:

> >> Betty Crocker cook books are not red and white checkered.
> >>
> >> Ms P

> >Really old ones are. I should know. I have my moms.

> The first one was 1950, red with white swirls on it. I have a copy of
> every version and none of them have a checked cover. Better Home and
> Gardens has a red & white check on the cover.
>
> Here is the link to a page from the 1986 book with pictures of all of
> the Betty Crocker cookbooks from 1950 to 1978.
>
> http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=1582is6&s=4
>
> I can take a picture of the 1951 and 1968 Better Homes and Garden
> Cookbooks if you like.
>
> If you have a copy from that period with a different cover, I would
> like to see a picture.

Ok, I was wrong. I just dug it out of the pile of "stuff" I have on the
dresser. I mis-remembered. This one is covered with pictures of food.

My bad.

Apologies.

Michael Kuettner 03-11-2008 09:41 PM

"Dimitri" schrieb :

> "telephone" > wrote in message
> On 2 Nov, 18:29, amandaF > wrote:
>> On Nov 2, 3:27 pm, amandaF > wrote:
>>
>> > I know that this a cooking group where people cook and eat with

>> this is a cooking group
>>

> No it's not. It's a group for people who can't get beyond 'Betty
> Crocker' style cookery. Good cooks not welcome here. And that's your
> loss.

You didn't write that, did you ?
If your Usenet-Chatroom program ****s up the attributions,
use something like
"-----------------------------------------------------------------------"
before you answer.
It makes it easier for the rest of us.

> How would you know? You certainly don't qualify on either count.

And he isn't a count, either ;-) Despite his <ahem> Stroganoff.

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

Lin 03-11-2008 10:42 PM

I am not from India; just trying to cook high protein non-eat(??) dishes

Omelet replied to Ms P:

>> Betty Crocker cook books are not red and white checkered.
>>
>> Ms P

> Really old ones are. I should know. I have my moms.

She may have you on this one, Om. The red and white checkered were the
"Better Homes and Gardens" books. While vintage Better Crocker's used a
lot of red on their dust jackets and covers, I couldn't find any that
were checkered. (Not saying that one doesn't exist, just saying I
haven't seen one).

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories

I also did a quick "fly by" of the books after 1960. No red & white
checkerboards.

BTW: The "checkered" pattern of the BH&G looks like the old red and
white tablecloths that one would use for picnicking.

That pattern is still their branding.

--Lin

amandaF 03-11-2008 11:59 PM

On Nov 2, 8:18 pm, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
> "amandaF" > wrote in message

> >> So by non-eat dishes, what do you mean?

> >> Paul

> > Non-meat dishes...

> Ah, ok, well that changes everything.
>
> India is rich in vegetarian end vegan cuisine. You will never go hungry
> with their cuisine no matter what foods you prefer. I make a couple of
> dishes often. I love palak paneer which is spinach and cheese. My favorite
> dish. If you do a Google search you will find a wealth of online videos
> showing you how to make it. And you can make your own paneer cheese very
> easily. It's rather fun, too. Then we have sag aloo which is spinach and
> potatoes and is a huge hit with any foodie. Now if you don't want to cook
> something from scratch you can always get the jarred tadkas and make lovely
> curries by simply cooking up some fresh veggies and tossing it with the
> tadka. Serve over basmati rice for a quick and easy meal. I find the
> Patak's brand to be very good and not hard to find in most any large market.
>
> If you wanted one search item for Google, try Madhur Jaffrey. She is a
> famous Indian chef and her recipes are all over the Internet and in
> cookbooks.
>
> Get your spices online. Be sure to keep plenty of garam masala on hand.
> It's a staple ingredient.
>
> When it comes to vegetarian, Indian cuisine probably beats them all.
>
> Paul

The first time I tried palak paneer, I loved it. Later, at the
restaurant, I never find it as good as the one I had which was out of
the can which I tried vaguely remembering seeing it at the restaurant
menu. I felt like the one in the restaurant needed more cheese or
something. May be the restaurant I tried made it too healthy. I am
mostly interested in Indian dishes that are high protein complete
protein) and hence Daal..

amandaF 04-11-2008 12:02 AM

On Nov 3, 3:33 am, Sqwertz > wrote:
> amandaF > wrote:
> > Again, no offense to anyone; just sharing why I make certain dishes
> > rather than eating my favorite cuisine all the time: Italian.

> Sounds like you've invented a paranoid solution to a non-problem
> (kinda like a drawn-out Americas's Test Kitch

Here come another ...

I am not in Italy and I am not Italian to cook their dished well. Has
practicality ever entered you people's mind before criticizing?

amandaF 04-11-2008 12:07 AM

On Nov 3, 11:31 am, "cshenk" > wrote:
> "amandaF" wrote
>
> >I know that this a cooking group where people cook and eat with
> > worrying about oil and butter so no offense to anyone

> Actually there are other reasons. My husband and I are entering the older
> phase of life. He's had one mini-stroke and now has to be on lower salt
> intake and i have cholestrol problems as well as sugar ones, so we have to
> be a bit adaptive in our cookery due to that.
>
> Others here probably have other needs.
>
> > Just that I am
> > not too old and good looking and don't want to get fat. Aside from not
> > being able to handle extra weight (because I have a slender body
> > frame), I don't have money to buy new clothes of (the next size up)
> > either:)

> Hehe not getting too fat is a good thing. I also have to watch for that due
> to some issues with my back (which cant stand the strain of me ever getting
> too fat).
>
> I find that a balanced diet, high in veggies and fruit, and lower in meat
> and careful use of fats, works for me. I've been graced with a high
> metabolism so weight control is easier for me than most.
>
> > By limiting use of oil, I can eat cheese and dessert a bit. I also

> Yes, that is one way. Another thing you may want to consider is what types
> of oils you use. I use mostly olive oil, and not the most expensive one,
> but a ecet enough brand. When things call for butter saute, I mix butter
> with some olive oil and find the effect works for me.
>
> I dont buy margarine at all anymore. I use real butter in sensible amounts
> and if more is needed for a recipe, mix in olive oil.
>
> > avoid cheap candies so that I can eat dessert when I go to the
> > restaurant though I am not eating dessert much these days. In fact, I
> > am going to do weight training using free weight.

> I don't *like* sweets much. Wierd as it may sound, if a person grows up
> with a sugar imbalance from childhood, that is often true. Fresh fruit is
> all the sweets I want. I am not diabetic, but the other sort and it's
> controlled by diet. Has been under control since I was 19 (had a gap there
> that landed me in a hospital and learned my lesson well).
>
> > Again, no offense to anyone; just sharing why I make certain dishes
> > rather than eating my favorite cuisine all the time: Italian.

> Humm! I simply can not make italian. Oh, I try! But no matter how good my
> intentions, I start 'fusioning it' to something else and though the end
> result is good, it's no longer really 'Italian' anymore.
>
> Often it becomes something sorta 'Greek-Italian' with a bit of Spain added
> in, or might be Arab influenced ;-)

I know exactly what you mean. The only Italian cooking I tried was
buying pesto sauce and mix it with olive oil and mix into pasta. love
pesto sauce and thought about making it but I knew better. By the time
I finish making an Italian dish, it'd be something else.

BTW, I use only olive oil and never buy margarine - have real butter
but hardly use it.

cybercat 04-11-2008 12:19 AM

"amandaF" > wrote in message
> On Nov 3, 3:33 am, Sqwertz > wrote:
>> amandaF > wrote:
>> > Again, no offense to anyone; just sharing why I make certain dishes
>> > rather than eating my favorite cuisine all the time: Italian.

>> Sounds like you've invented a paranoid solution to a non-problem
>> (kinda like a drawn-out Americas's Test Kitch

> Here come another ...
>
> I am not in Italy and I am not Italian to cook their dished well. Has
> practicality ever entered you people's mind before criticizing?

Just curious--what is your first language? Your native language?

Sqwertz 04-11-2008 12:59 AM

amandaF > wrote:

> On Nov 3, 3:33 am, Sqwertz > wrote:
>> amandaF > wrote:
>>> Again, no offense to anyone; just sharing why I make certain dishes
>>> rather than eating my favorite cuisine all the time: Italian.

>> Sounds like you've invented a paranoid solution to a non-problem
>> (kinda like a drawn-out Americas's Test Kitch

> Here come another ...
>
> I am not in Italy and I am not Italian to cook their dished well. Has
> practicality ever entered you people's mind before criticizing?

I don't think whatever point you were trying to make come across
coherently.

-sw

cshenk 04-11-2008 02:12 AM

I am not from India; just trying to cook high protein non-eat dishes (hence Indian but not as much spice) with the least amount of oil

"Sqwertz" wrote

>>> Sounds like you've invented a paranoid solution to a non-problem
>>> (kinda like a drawn-out Americas's Test Kitch

>> Here come another ...
>>
>> I am not in Italy and I am not Italian to cook their dished well. Has
>> practicality ever entered you people's mind before criticizing?

> I don't think whatever point you were trying to make come across
> coherently.

What part of she likes italian but isnt sure how to do some of it right was
not clear?
Her english is excellent. Not native, no, but perfectly understandable.

cshenk 04-11-2008 02:18 AM

I am not from India; just trying to cook high protein non-eat dishes (hence Indian but not as much spice) with the least amount of oil

"amandaF" wrote
> "cshenk" > wrote:

>> Humm! I simply can not make italian. Oh, I try! But no matter how good
>> my
>> intentions, I start 'fusioning it' to something else and though the end
>> result is good, it's no longer really 'Italian' anymore.
>>
>> Often it becomes something sorta 'Greek-Italian' with a bit of Spain
>> added
>> in, or might be Arab influenced ;-)

> I know exactly what you mean. The only Italian cooking I tried was
> buying pesto sauce and mix it with olive oil and mix into pasta. love
> pesto sauce and thought about making it but I knew better. By the time
> I finish making an Italian dish, it'd be something else.

Yup, same here. I tend mostly to twist italian to greek or Arabic. It sems
to lead there naturally.

> BTW, I use only olive oil and never buy margarine - have real butter
> but hardly use it.

I use butter but it's an intensly built in need for my American cooking
roots. Odd as it may seem, my roots are deep south cookery. It even shows
in my asian blends in the choices I make.

Omelet[_7_] 04-11-2008 02:54 AM

I am not from India; just trying to cook high protein non-eat (??) dishes

In article > ,
Lin > wrote:

> Omelet replied to Ms P:
>

> >> Betty Crocker cook books are not red and white checkered.
> >>
> >> Ms P

> > Really old ones are. I should know. I have my moms.

> She may have you on this one, Om. The red and white checkered were the
> "Better Homes and Gardens" books. While vintage Better Crocker's used a
> lot of red on their dust jackets and covers, I couldn't find any that
> were checkered. (Not saying that one doesn't exist, just saying I
> haven't seen one).
>
> http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...ty+cr ocker+c
> ookbook&_sacat=See-All-Categories
>
> I also did a quick "fly by" of the books after 1960. No red & white
> checkerboards.
>
> BTW: The "checkered" pattern of the BH&G looks like the old red and
> white tablecloths that one would use for picnicking.
>
> That pattern is still their branding.
>
> --Lin

I already admitted in another post that I was wrong. I dug the book out
of the pile of "stuff" on my dresser and looked at it. It's covered with
pictures of food.

I wonder which of my cookbooks I recall being checkered? I'll have to
"check" it out. <g>

Sqwertz 04-11-2008 03:31 AM

cshenk > wrote:

>>> Here come another ...
>>>
>>> I am not in Italy and I am not Italian to cook their dished well. Has
>>> practicality ever entered you people's mind before criticizing?

>> I don't think whatever point you were trying to make come across
>> coherently.

> What part of she likes italian but isnt sure how to do some of it right was
> not clear?
> Her english is excellent. Not native, no, but perfectly understandable.

But the whole point of her original post was that she doesn't to eat
fattening foods.

Then it took a few left turns. Somehow.

-sw

Ed Pawlowski 04-11-2008 04:30 AM

"The Cook" > wrote in message

> The first one was 1950, red with white swirls on it. I have a copy of
> every version and none of them have a checked cover. Better Home and
> Gardens has a red & white check on the cover.
>
> Here is the link to a page from the 1986 book with pictures of all of
> the Betty Crocker cookbooks from 1950 to 1978.
>
> http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=1582is6&s=4
>
> I can take a picture of the 1951 and 1968 Better Homes and Garden
> Cookbooks if you like.
>
> If you have a copy from that period with a different cover, I would
> like to see a picture.

The center one is supposed to be 1950. It is a ring binder, not a bound
book. That does not seem right. Pattern is correct for the time though.
Our 1950 is a hard bound book. My wife still uses it for some recipes,
especially the muffins.

amandaF 04-11-2008 05:27 AM

On Nov 3, 3:59 pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> amandaF > wrote:

> >> Sounds like you've invented a paranoid solution to a non-problem
> >> (kinda like a drawn-out Americas's Test Kitch

> > Here come another ...

> > I am not in Italy and I am not Italian to cook their dished well. Has
> > practicality ever entered you people's mind before criticizing?

> I don't think whatever point you were trying to make come across
> coherently.
>
> -sw

Anyone with common sense would know that I am only familiar with the
Italian food in American restaurants.

amandaF 04-11-2008 05:28 AM

On Nov 3, 3:19 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "amandaF" > wrote in message

> >> Sounds like you've invented a paranoid solution to a non-problem
> >> (kinda like a drawn-out Americas's Test Kitch

> > Here come another ...

> > I am not in Italy and I am not Italian to cook their dished well. Has
> > practicality ever entered you people's mind before criticizing?

> Just curious--what is your first language? Your native language?

Why do you need/want to know?

amandaF 04-11-2008 05:30 AM

On Nov 3, 6:31 pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> cshenk > wrote:

> >> I don't think whatever point you were trying to make come across
> >> coherently.

> > What part of she likes italian but isnt sure how to do some of it right was
> > not clear?
> > Her english is excellent. Not native, no, but perfectly understandable.

> But the whole point of her original post was that she doesn't to eat
> fattening foods.
>
> Then it took a few left turns. Somehow.

So what?

amandaF 04-11-2008 05:39 AM

I am not from India; just trying to cook high protein non-eatdishes (hence Indian but not as much spice) with the least amount of oil

On Nov 3, 3:19 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "amandaF" > wrote in message

> >> Sounds like you've invented a paranoid solution to a non-problem
> >> (kinda like a drawn-out Americas's Test Kitch

> > Here come another ...

> > I am not in Italy and I am not Italian to cook their dished well. Has
> > practicality ever entered you people's mind before criticizing?

> Just curious--what is your first language? Your native language?

I do not want to share this info in newsgroups.

cybercat 04-11-2008 05:42 AM

"amandaF" > wrote:

>> Just curious--what is your first language? Your native language?

> Why do you need/want to know?

Because your writing is very hard to understand.

cybercat 04-11-2008 05:45 AM

"amandaF" > wrote in message
> On Nov 3, 3:19 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:

>> > Here come another ...

>> > I am not in Italy and I am not Italian to cook their dished well. Has
>> > practicality ever entered you people's mind before criticizing?

>> Just curious--what is your first language? Your native language?

> I do not want to share this info in newsgroups.

Honey, it is pretty obvious that you cannot write English very well. If it
is your native language, you need to slow down and take more care with your
posts so that your posts are understandable. If it is not, you need to slow
down and take more care with your posts so that we can understand them.

cybercat 04-11-2008 05:45 AM

"amandaF" > wrote in message
> On Nov 3, 3:59 pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
>> amandaF > wrote:

>> > Here come another ...

>> > I am not in Italy and I am not Italian to cook their dished well. Has
>> > practicality ever entered you people's mind before criticizing?

>> I don't think whatever point you were trying to make come across
>> coherently.
>>
>> -sw

> Anyone with common sense would know that I am only familiar with the
> Italian food in American restaurants.

No, Amanda. They would not. Your posts have been nearly incoherent.

Paco[_3_] 04-11-2008 07:10 AM

"cybercat" > wrote in message

> Honey, it is pretty obvious that you cannot write English very well. If it
> is your native language, you need to slow down and take more care with
> your posts so that your posts are understandable. If it is not, you need
> to slow down and take more care with your posts so that we can understand
> them.

"Out of the mouths of babes..." Sorry, I couldn't resist!

-sw

The Cook 04-11-2008 12:31 PM

I am not from India; just trying to cook high protein non-eat (??) dishes

On Mon, 3 Nov 2008 22:30:57 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski" >
wrote:

>"The Cook" > wrote in message
>>
>> The first one was 1950, red with white swirls on it. I have a copy of
>> every version and none of them have a checked cover. Better Home and
>> Gardens has a red & white check on the cover.
>>
>> Here is the link to a page from the 1986 book with pictures of all of
>> the Betty Crocker cookbooks from 1950 to 1978.
>>
>> http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=1582is6&s=4
>>
>> I can take a picture of the 1951 and 1968 Better Homes and Garden
>> Cookbooks if you like.
>>
>> If you have a copy from that period with a different cover, I would
>> like to see a picture.

>The center one is supposed to be 1950. It is a ring binder, not a bound
>book. That does not seem right. Pattern is correct for the time though.
>Our 1950 is a hard bound book. My wife still uses it for some recipes,
>especially the muffins.

It came both ways as did almost all of the earlier versions. I have a
first edition bound copy with a dust jacket .