Old 02-11-2008, 11:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I am not from India; just trying to cook high protein non-eat dishes(hence Indian but not as much spice) with the least amount of oil

I know that this a cooking group where people cook and eat with
worrying about oil and butter so no offense to anyone . Just that I am
not too old and good looking and don't want to get fat. Aside from not
being able to handle extra weight (because I have a slender body
frame), I don't have money to buy new clothes of (the next size up)
either

By limiting use of oil, I can eat cheese and dessert a bit. I also
avoid cheap candies so that I can eat dessert when I go to the
restaurant though I am not eating dessert much these days. In fact, I
am going to do weight training using free weight.

Again, no offense to anyone; just sharing why I make certain dishes
rather than eating my favorite cuisine all the time: Italian.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:29 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 2, 3:27 pm, amandaF wrote:
I know that this a cooking group where people cook and eat with

this is a cooking group

I meant to say "without"
Old 02-11-2008, 11:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2 Nov, 18:29, amandaF wrote:
On Nov 2, 3:27 pm, amandaF wrote:

I know that this *a cooking group where people cook and eat with

this is *a cooking group

No it's not. It's a group for people who can't get beyond 'Betty
Crocker' style cookery. Good cooks not welcome here. And that's your
loss.

I meant to say "without"

Old 02-11-2008, 11:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"amandaF" wrote in message
On Nov 2, 3:27 pm, amandaF wrote:
I know that this a cooking group where people cook and eat with

this is a cooking group

I meant to say "without"

slowwwww down amannnnndahhhhhh ....

Old 03-11-2008, 01:41 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"telephone" wrote in message

No it's not. It's a group for people who can't get beyond 'Betty
Crocker' style cookery. Good cooks not welcome here. And that's your
loss.

This, plus your shoemaker references make me think that you are quite
elderly and/or haven't kept up with the times. Betty Crocker cookbooks are
rather old-fashioned and have recipes that are more time-consuming than what
people want today. They were en vogue from the 1920's to perhaps the
1970's - every housewife had that ubiquitous red-and-white checkered
cookbook on the shelf. Ms. Crocker's fictional persona has been updated
several times since her first incarnation .
While Betty Crocker recipes may have been bland, unadventurous, and lacking
in ethnic diversity, they very much required that people cook "from
scratch" , use real ingredients, and have the time to do so - things that
many people are now not able or willing to do.

"Good cook" is rather a subjective description. A while back, someone in
this newsgroup referred to the Amish as being "good cooks". Putting
something hot, filling, and reasonably edible on the table may be the mark
of a good cook to some. Throwing together a tasty meal made from three
ingredients in less than 30 minutes may mean a good cook in someone elses's
opinion.

Old 03-11-2008, 02:38 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"amandaF" wrote in message
On Nov 2, 3:27 pm, amandaF wrote:
I know that this a cooking group where people cook and eat with

this is a cooking group

I meant to say "without"

So by non-eat dishes, what do you mean?

Paul

Old 03-11-2008, 04:18 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"amandaF" wrote in message

On Nov 2, 3:27 pm, amandaF wrote:
I know that this a cooking group where people cook and eat with

this is a cooking group

I meant to say "without"

So by non-eat dishes, what do you mean?

Paul

Non-meat dishes...

Ah, ok, well that changes everything.

India is rich in vegetarian end vegan cuisine. You will never go hungry
with their cuisine no matter what foods you prefer. I make a couple of
dishes often. I love palak paneer which is spinach and cheese. My favorite
dish. If you do a Google search you will find a wealth of online videos
showing you how to make it. And you can make your own paneer cheese very
easily. It's rather fun, too. Then we have sag aloo which is spinach and
potatoes and is a huge hit with any foodie. Now if you don't want to cook
something from scratch you can always get the jarred tadkas and make lovely
curries by simply cooking up some fresh veggies and tossing it with the
tadka. Serve over basmati rice for a quick and easy meal. I find the
Patak's brand to be very good and not hard to find in most any large market.

If you wanted one search item for Google, try Madhur Jaffrey. She is a
famous Indian chef and her recipes are all over the Internet and in
cookbooks.

Get your spices online. Be sure to keep plenty of garam masala on hand.
It's a staple ingredient.

When it comes to vegetarian, Indian cuisine probably beats them all.

Paul

Old 03-11-2008, 07:06 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" wrote in news:gelu24$opd$1
@registered.motzarella.org:

Non-meat dishes...

Ah, ok, well that changes everything.

All my dishes are made of China or ceramics. Wouldn't meat dishes kinda
smell after say a week? Some folk use silver others plastic or wood
dishes...paper plates are kinda handy at times...can't really grasp the
concept of meat dishes though.

--

The beet goes on -Alan

Old 03-11-2008, 11:33 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

amandaF wrote:

Again, no offense to anyone; just sharing why I make certain dishes
rather than eating my favorite cuisine all the time: Italian.

Sounds like you've invented a paranoid solution to a non-problem
(kinda like a drawn-out Americas's Test Kitchen recipe). Italy has
one of the lowest obesity rates in the world - 24th on a list of 29
countries.

-sw

Old 03-11-2008, 03:09 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"dejablues" wrote in message

"telephone" wrote in message

No it's not. It's a group for people who can't get beyond 'Betty
Crocker' style cookery. Good cooks not welcome here. And that's your
loss.

This, plus your shoemaker references make me think that you are quite
elderly and/or haven't kept up with the times. Betty Crocker cookbooks are
rather old-fashioned and have recipes that are more time-consuming than
what people want today. They were en vogue from the 1920's to perhaps the
1970's - every housewife had that ubiquitous red-and-white checkered
cookbook on the shelf.

Betty Crocker cook books are not red and white checkered.

Ms P

Old 03-11-2008, 05:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"Ms P" wrote:

This, plus your shoemaker references make me think that you are quite
elderly and/or haven't kept up with the times. Betty Crocker cookbooks are
rather old-fashioned and have recipes that are more time-consuming than
what people want today. They were en vogue from the 1920's to perhaps the
1970's - every housewife had that ubiquitous red-and-white checkered
cookbook on the shelf.

Betty Crocker cook books are not red and white checkered.

Ms P

Really old ones are. I should know. I have my moms.
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Old 03-11-2008, 06:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
"Ms P" wrote:

This, plus your shoemaker references make me think that you are
quite elderly and/or haven't kept up with the times. Betty Crocker
cookbooks are rather old-fashioned and have recipes that are more
time-consuming than what people want today. They were en vogue from
the 1920's to perhaps the 1970's - every housewife had that
ubiquitous red-and-white checkered cookbook on the shelf.

Betty Crocker cook books are not red and white checkered.

Ms P

Really old ones are. I should know. I have my moms.

Naw, the old ones (from the 1950's) are plain red, not checkered.

Jill
Old 03-11-2008, 06:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 03 Nov 2008 11:59:48 -0600, Omelet

"Ms P" wrote:

This, plus your shoemaker references make me think that you are quite
elderly and/or haven't kept up with the times. Betty Crocker cookbooks are
rather old-fashioned and have recipes that are more time-consuming than
what people want today. They were en vogue from the 1920's to perhaps the
1970's - every housewife had that ubiquitous red-and-white checkered
cookbook on the shelf.

Betty Crocker cook books are not red and white checkered.

Ms P

Really old ones are. I should know. I have my moms.

The first one was 1950, red with white swirls on it. I have a copy of
every version and none of them have a checked cover. Better Home and
Gardens has a red & white check on the cover.

Here is the link to a page from the 1986 book with pictures of all of
the Betty Crocker cookbooks from 1950 to 1978.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=1582is6&s=4

I can take a picture of the 1951 and 1968 Better Homes and Garden
Cookbooks if you like.

If you have a copy from that period with a different cover, I would
like to see a picture.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:31 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"amandaF" wrote

I know that this a cooking group where people cook and eat with
worrying about oil and butter so no offense to anyone

Actually there are other reasons. My husband and I are entering the older
phase of life. He's had one mini-stroke and now has to be on lower salt
intake and i have cholestrol problems as well as sugar ones, so we have to
be a bit adaptive in our cookery due to that.

Others here probably have other needs.

Just that I am
not too old and good looking and don't want to get fat. Aside from not
being able to handle extra weight (because I have a slender body
frame), I don't have money to buy new clothes of (the next size up)
either

Hehe not getting too fat is a good thing. I also have to watch for that due
to some issues with my back (which cant stand the strain of me ever getting
too fat).

I find that a balanced diet, high in veggies and fruit, and lower in meat
and careful use of fats, works for me. I've been graced with a high
metabolism so weight control is easier for me than most.

By limiting use of oil, I can eat cheese and dessert a bit. I also

Yes, that is one way. Another thing you may want to consider is what types
of oils you use. I use mostly olive oil, and not the most expensive one,
but a ecet enough brand. When things call for butter saute, I mix butter
with some olive oil and find the effect works for me.

I dont buy margarine at all anymore. I use real butter in sensible amounts
and if more is needed for a recipe, mix in olive oil.

avoid cheap candies so that I can eat dessert when I go to the
restaurant though I am not eating dessert much these days. In fact, I
am going to do weight training using free weight.

I don't *like* sweets much. Wierd as it may sound, if a person grows up
with a sugar imbalance from childhood, that is often true. Fresh fruit is
all the sweets I want. I am not diabetic, but the other sort and it's
controlled by diet. Has been under control since I was 19 (had a gap there
that landed me in a hospital and learned my lesson well).

Again, no offense to anyone; just sharing why I make certain dishes
rather than eating my favorite cuisine all the time: Italian.

Humm! I simply can not make italian. Oh, I try! But no matter how good my
intentions, I start 'fusioning it' to something else and though the end
result is good, it's no longer really 'Italian' anymore.

Often it becomes something sorta 'Greek-Italian' with a bit of Spain added
in, or might be Arab influenced ;-)