Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Election Night Meal

In article
merryb > wrote:

> On Nov 1, 4:40*pm, Dimitri > wrote:
> > On Nov 1, 4:32*pm, Andy > wrote:
> >

> > > sf said...

> > > I'm going to vote as soon as the polls open then have most of a 2-foot
> > > "breakfast" Philly cheesesteak, a shot of tequila and then smoke a giant,
> > > cheap, stale, old, presidential election day cigar at the park. My
> > > "trifecta" if you will, in horse racing parlance. Say the pledge of
> > > allegiance and wait four more years for my next cigar!

> > > Join me?

> > > Andy

> > Not for a cigar - too bad it's not a doobee then you can really enjoy
> > the cheesesteak.
> >
> > :-)
> >
> > Carp I don't smoke those anymore either.
> >
> > Dimitri

> What's the matter with you? We are having apps, with a few friends
> over. I really don't care who they vote for, it's an end to all the
> political commercials! I will be serving crackers with crab &
> artichoke dip for the republicans, and the chocolate liquer recipe I
> recently posted for the dems. I was also thinking of chocolate mousse
> in honor of Sarah, and Jello shooters for her too, even tho I don't
> support that party. Still in the planning stages, but so far, so good!

Make jello shooters for both parties. One in a red color jello, and one
in a blue? <g>
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"SteveB" <toquerville@zionvistas> wrote:

> Maybe something with arsenic or hemlock depending on the results

<lol>

Just move to Canada.
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message

> Are you inviting anyone over to watch the returns? What are you
> planning for dinner? Will it be labor intensive so you're not really
> paying attention, or will you throw something easy in the oven so you
> can concentrate on the pundit commentaries?

I dunno. It could all be over by dinner time on the left coast or it could
go until 4AM. One or the other. Whatever I make, I'll keep the leftovers
to kick off Election 2012!!!!! Starting promptly on November 5.

Who do you think the candidates will be?

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote in news:mfmpg4pv3epc3qln4bo4quo2uaaptblo59@
4ax.com:

> Are you inviting anyone over to watch the returns? What are you
> planning for dinner? Will it be labor intensive so you're not really
> paying attention, or will you throw something easy in the oven so you
> can concentrate on the pundit commentaries?

A six-pack of Coors.

Ken

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Ken > wrote:

> sf > wrote in news:mfmpg4pv3epc3qln4bo4quo2uaaptblo59@
> 4ax.com:
>

> > Are you inviting anyone over to watch the returns? What are you
> > planning for dinner? Will it be labor intensive so you're not really
> > paying attention, or will you throw something easy in the oven so you
> > can concentrate on the pundit commentaries?
> >

> A six-pack of Coors.
>
> Ken

<lol> Sounds about right! Add a bowl of popcorn to that and I'll join
you. :-)
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama

Posted to rec.food.cooking

MareCat wrote:

> We seem to have plenty of voting sites around here, so hopefully the
> wait won't be too bad. (I was in and out in less than five minutes
> during the primaries.)

My poll site isn't large, either, in terms of the number
of people who vote there. I might walk over because parking
at the school is likely to be more problematic than anything.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 1 Nov 2008 16:45:50 -0700 (PDT), Shiral wrote:

> I'm with you, Christine. =o) I'll be at my Dad's for dinner that
> night (and lord knows WHAT he'll serve. I don't go for the food. He
> does have a much better TV than I do, though.) But I've bought some
> brie and pate and have a recording of Beethoven's ninth so I can
> celebrate like a proper Liberal Elitist. If what I hope happens
> happens, I'll be celebrating for several days.

i'm thinking of a classic of another kind:

<http://www.disputesolutions.org/HTMLobj-99/06_-_Parliament_-_Chocolate_City.mp3>

(seriously, it's a great song. the section on the cabinet is pretty
goddamn funny.)

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 1 Nov 2008 22:06:27 -0800, SteveB wrote:

> Maybe something with arsenic or hemlock depending on the results

eh, how bad can it be?

if george bush could not completely destroy the country despite his best
efforts, we'll muddle through regardless.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 1 Nov 2008 20:58:21 -0700 (PDT), merryb wrote:

> On Nov 1, 4:40*pm, Dimitri > wrote:
>> On Nov 1, 4:32*pm, Andy > wrote:
>>

>> Not for a cigar - too bad it's not a doobee then you can really enjoy
>> the cheesesteak.
>>
>> :-)
>>
>> Carp I don't smoke those anymore either.
>>
>> Dimitri

> What's the matter with you? We are having apps, with a few friends
> over. I really don't care who they vote for, it's an end to all the
> political commercials! I will be serving crackers with crab &
> artichoke dip for the republicans, and the chocolate liquer recipe I
> recently posted for the dems. I was also thinking of chocolate mousse
> in honor of Sarah, and Jello shooters for her too, even tho I don't
> support that party. Still in the planning stages, but so far, so good!

i think sarah would be suspicious of the 'chocolate' part.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote
> <http://www.disputesolutions.org/HTMLobj-99/06_-_Parliament_-_Chocolate_City.mp3>
>
> (seriously, it's a great song. the section on the cabinet is pretty
> goddamn funny.)

It really is. I have been going through a major Funkadelic mood for the past
two weeks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 02:23:09 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >,
> "SteveB" <toquerville@zionvistas> wrote:
>
>> Maybe something with arsenic or hemlock depending on the results

><lol>
>
>Just move to Canada.

Good luck getting a work permit.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy escribe:

> On Sat, 1 Nov 2008 22:06:27 -0800, SteveB wrote:
>
> > Maybe something with arsenic or hemlock depending on the results

> eh, how bad can it be?
>
> if george bush could not completely destroy the country despite his best
> efforts, we'll muddle through regardless.

A cop friend told me that the city (Chicawgo) is girding for a major
"disturbance" in Grant Park whether Obammy wins or not...all those coons
pouring up from the Sout' Side ghet - toe are a - lookin' to "party", if ya
know what I mean.

This is all very "hush - hush", natch, don't want to upset all the
politically - correct sorts, donchyaknow...

--
Best
Greg

" I find Greg Morrow lowbrow, witless, and obnoxious. For him to claim that
we are some
kind of comedy team turns my stomach."
- "cybercat" to me on rec.food.cooking

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 02:22:28 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>Make jello shooters for both parties. One in a red color jello, and one
>in a blue? <g>

Or cover all the bases - make them layers of red, white and blue.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> BTW,
>
> That's TOP SECRET confidential food cuisine information!!!
>
> OR, twist my arm (OUCH!).. "Lucy's" at Peco and La Brea!
>
> Not that you heard it from me!!!
>
> Andy
>
> P.S. If I was back in L.A., I'd probably vote for Blinky the Sharkster,

Guy,
> Dude, Surf, Fin guy. --A
>
> P.P.S. NOW,, can I go to DisneyWorld?!?

N-O-P-E ... don yer dunce cap and go stand in the "Fool's Korner"...

--
Best
Greg

" I find Greg Morrow lowbrow, witless, and obnoxious. For him to claim that
we are some
kind of comedy team turns my stomach."
- "cybercat" to me on rec.food.cooking

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stan Horwitz wrote:

> On election day though, I will be at a local Obama HQ doing
> volunteer work,

"Volunteering" is strictly for fools, Stan, with all of Obama's dough you
should be getting *paid*...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> "Nancy Young" > wrote:

are

> > > No, I actually used the voting machine...
> > > No different than voting on the actual day.
> > >
> > > I think you are thinking of mail in voting.

> > Yes, I checked, that's how it's done here. I'll just wait for the day
> > and enter my own vote.
> >
> > nancy

> Ah. Sorry. I thought early polling was more widely available. We had
> two places to go, including the local library.

There were *huge* lines at my local library branch and at many others
througout the city of Chicago, hours - long waits. It's good to see
"democracy in action"...about 800K folks voted early in the state of
Illannoy IIRC.

Early voting should be made mandatory in all states...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
> > Are you inviting anyone over to watch the returns? What are you
> > planning for dinner? Will it be labor intensive so you're not really
> > paying attention, or will you throw something easy in the oven so you
> > can concentrate on the pundit commentaries?

> I'm going to say a little prayer, go to bed and sleep thru it. <g> I've
> got political burnout right now.

Yup...if they still made placidyl I'd pop a few with a stiff drink and go to
bed early...

Whoever wins, the euphoria is going to wear off *very* fast what with the
lousy economic nooze that will be battering us in the coming months...it
AIN'T going to pretty, kids...!!!

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 15:38:04 GMT, blake murphy
> wrote:

>On Sat, 1 Nov 2008 22:06:27 -0800, SteveB wrote:
>
>> Maybe something with arsenic or hemlock depending on the results

>eh, how bad can it be?
>
>if george bush could not completely destroy the country despite his best
>efforts, we'll muddle through regardless.

I think you're right. We're down so far we have to look up to see the
bottom, but we'll persevere and get through it.

I'll be relieved to have a new president, no matter who it is - but
I'd feel a lot better about McCain if he hadn't chosen that whack job
Palin as a running mate.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 2 Nov 2008 10:06:34 -0600, "Gregory Morrow" >
wrote:

>Early voting should be made mandatory in all states...

Or at least made easier. California has cleverly hidden the
information for years. Making early voting impossible, hard or having
it but hiding it is just another form of voter suppression.

I only found out last week where the one and only early voting place
in my city is located after (mumble, mumble) years of being a
registered voter. They *don't* want people to vote early around here
or else they'd advertise the location. I'd also like to see more
early voting polling places set up all over the city. There should be
at least one place to vote early in every Supervisorial district.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Sun, 2 Nov 2008 10:06:34 -0600, "Gregory Morrow" >
> wrote:
>
> >Early voting should be made mandatory in all states...

> Or at least made easier. California has cleverly hidden the
> information for years. Making early voting impossible, hard or having
> it but hiding it is just another form of voter suppression.
>
> I only found out last week where the one and only early voting place
> in my city is located after (mumble, mumble) years of being a
> registered voter. They *don't* want people to vote early around here
> or else they'd advertise the location. I'd also like to see more
> early voting polling places set up all over the city. There should be
> at least one place to vote early in every Supervisorial district.

Why would CA want to do that? I thought it was a "bellweather" state in
many ways, I guess in this particular case they are behind the times. Heck
I'd think stuff like even *drive - up* voting would be de rigeur in CA by
now...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 02:23:09 -0600, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > "SteveB" <toquerville@zionvistas> wrote:
> >
> >> Maybe something with arsenic or hemlock depending on the results

> ><lol>
> >
> >Just move to Canada.

> Good luck getting a work permit.

Seriously, I think a lot of that depends on what you do for a living.
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 02:22:28 -0600, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
> >Make jello shooters for both parties. One in a red color jello, and one
> >in a blue? <g>

> Or cover all the bases - make them layers of red, white and blue.

<applause>

Be Americans! Not Republicans or Democrats. :-)
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 15:38:04 GMT, blake murphy
> > wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 1 Nov 2008 22:06:27 -0800, SteveB wrote:
> >
> >> Maybe something with arsenic or hemlock depending on the results

> >eh, how bad can it be?
> >
> >if george bush could not completely destroy the country despite his best
> >efforts, we'll muddle through regardless.
> >

> I think you're right. We're down so far we have to look up to see the
> bottom, but we'll persevere and get through it.
>
> I'll be relieved to have a new president, no matter who it is - but
> I'd feel a lot better about McCain if he hadn't chosen that whack job
> Palin as a running mate.

Just curious, why do you consider Palin to be a Whack job? I've
listened to some radio interviews with her, and she seems to be pretty
bright.

You know I'm always up for other opinions.
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> >Early voting should be made mandatory in all states...

> Or at least made easier. California has cleverly hidden the
> information for years. Making early voting impossible, hard or having
> it but hiding it is just another form of voter suppression.
>
> I only found out last week where the one and only early voting place
> in my city is located after (mumble, mumble) years of being a
> registered voter. They *don't* want people to vote early around here
> or else they'd advertise the location. I'd also like to see more
> early voting polling places set up all over the city. There should be
> at least one place to vote early in every Supervisorial district.

All I did was call city hall to find the locations. The clerk answering
the phone knew the answer.
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 2 Nov 2008 10:10:47 -0600, "Gregory Morrow" >
wrote:

>Whoever wins, the euphoria is going to wear off *very* fast what with the
>lousy economic nooze that will be battering us in the coming months...it
>AIN'T going to pretty, kids...!!!

I think we're all grown up enough to know that a new president can't
be a messiah... until or unless he can dig us out of the present hole
that we and our grandchildren will be paying off.

Most of us are prepared to grab onto the handle bars and ride it out.
I bet the loudest complainers will be those who voted President
Numbskull in TWICE.

Mae West

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 2 Nov 2008 12:09:47 -0600, "Gregory Morrow"
> wrote:

>Why would CA want to do that? I thought it was a "bellweather" state in
>many ways,

It's a bellwether state because of sheer numbers, Greg. Nobody would
give a rat's patooty about CA if it had the population of... let's
say: Alaska.

>I guess in this particular case they are behind the times.

Perpetually. Ever since Governor Regan in fact. Our
college/university system is in shambles now. We were very
progressive in making higher education affordable to all residents.
Not anymore. *I* have to think twice about if I want to take courses
for credit or not, because although CCSF is reasonable, SFSU isn't.
Living literally a few blocks away from both makes it all the sadder.

>Heck I'd think stuff like even *drive - up* voting would be de rigeur in CA by
>now...

I'd settle for a paradigm like Nevada's, which is well publicized and
plentiful.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> I only found out last week where the one and only early voting place
> in my city is located after (mumble, mumble) years of being a
> registered voter.

You're lucky to have even one in your city. Most cities don't. There's
only one PER COUNTY. The only reason you have one in your city, is that
it's not just the only city in the county, the city limits are the same
as the county limits.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Omelet > wrote:

> In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 02:23:09 -0600, Omelet >
> > wrote:

> > >Just move to Canada.

> > Good luck getting a work permit.

> Seriously, I think a lot of that depends on what you do for a living.

Just like the US. Good luck getting a work permit without certain
skills.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gregory Morrow said...

> Andy wrote:
>
>> BTW,
>>
>> That's TOP SECRET confidential food cuisine information!!!
>>
>> OR, twist my arm (OUCH!).. "Lucy's" at Peco and La Brea!
>>
>> Not that you heard it from me!!!
>>
>> Andy
>>
>> P.S. If I was back in L.A., I'd probably vote for Blinky the Sharkster,

> Guy,
>> Dude, Surf, Fin guy. --A
>>
>> P.P.S. NOW,, can I go to DisneyWorld?!?

> N-O-P-E ... don yer dunce cap and go stand in the "Fool's Korner"...

Greg Morose,

You're dying for me to elicit a response? OK...

Take your boring fag and neo-nazi brothers wartz and shelly for a long walk
off a short pier.

L8R,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Stan Horwitz" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
>> Are you inviting anyone over to watch the returns? What are you
>> planning for dinner? Will it be labor intensive so you're not really
>> paying attention, or will you throw something easy in the oven so you
>> can concentrate on the pundit commentaries?

> Why? The returns probably won't begin coming in until 11:00pm eastern
> time and 8:00pm pacific time. Either one is too late for most people to
> eat dinner? On election day though, I will be at a local Obama HQ doing
> volunteer work, so unless there's some food there, I won't be eating
> anything when the returns start coming in.

On George Stephanopoulos' (sp?) show this morning, George Will declared that
all eyes should be on Virginia. If Virginia goes to Obamea, sayeth he, so
goes the rest of the country.

I'm planning on having a bottle of champagne here. I'll either be wildly
celebrating an Obama win, or drowning my sorrows.

I loved Bill Maher's take on Sarah Palin's qualifications to be Veep. He
said that the Veep has 4 duties: to enrich friends, start wars, subvert the
constitution and shoot friends in the face.

TammyM, counting chickens

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message

> Are you inviting anyone over to watch the returns? What are you
> planning for dinner? Will it be labor intensive so you're not really
> paying attention, or will you throw something easy in the oven so you
> can concentrate on the pundit commentaries?

You'll all be eating crow.

TFM®

Posted to rec.food.cooking

TammyM > wrote in message
[snip]
> I'm planning on having a bottle of champagne here.

Cold Duck or Cook's?! Inquiring minds and all that.

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Ranger" > wrote in message
ndwidth...
> TammyM > wrote in message
> [snip]
>> I'm planning on having a bottle of champagne here.

> Cold Duck or Cook's?! Inquiring minds and all that.
>
> The Ranger

<slap slap slap>

Smart ass. You know my budget too well :-> OK already, it'll be sparkling
wine. Many steps up from Cooks but it won't be Dom either.

The last time I cracked open a bottle of champers on election night was
1992. Color me hopeful.

TammyM, pauper-ina and dyed in the wool liberal-progressive-democrat-pinko

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Omelet > wrote:

> In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 02:23:09 -0600, Omelet >
> > wrote:

> > ><lol>
> > >
> > >Just move to Canada.

> > Good luck getting a work permit.

> Seriously, I think a lot of that depends on what you do for a living.

Sort of like in the US?

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 12:17:58 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>Just curious, why do you consider Palin to be a Whack job? I've
>listened to some radio interviews with her, and she seems to be pretty
>bright.

I've already stated my objections to her before. At the very top of
my list is her "Creationist" POV (basically anti-modern science),
second is her "Right to Life" position meaning *no choices* for
anyone. Let people like her get a foothold in American national
politics and we're even closer to having a government like what we
claim to be fighting against. Islam has their Imams. We have the
leaders of our conservative Christian coalition. They are very close
in ideologies. Think about it.

She doesn't even understand the VPs only role is to serve as President
of the Senate and the most important thing a VP does is cast a vote in
the event of a tie. A VP is *not* a policy maker (which she wants to
be). A VP can be an influence peddler, which can then affect
policy... but there is no direct policy making role and the office
should never have that kind of power.

She is also point dog in the Obama smear campaign - which insinuates
that Obama is a Muslim, not a Christian (christian good - muslim bad),
by virtue of his middle name and tries to link Obama with terrorism by
insinuating he "pals around" (smear campaign words) with a washed up
terrorist named Bill Ayers, the man who co-founded the Weather
Underground and is now a professor of education at the University of
Illinois, Chicago. According to published reports, in 1995 Bill Ayers
received a $50 million grant from The Annenberg Foundation to match
local private funds for improving schools in Chicago. Barak Obama was
asked to serve as the board chairman of the Annenberg Challenge
Project.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 12:14:52 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 02:23:09 -0600, Omelet >
>> wrote:

>> ><lol>
>> >
>> >Just move to Canada.

>> Good luck getting a work permit.

>Seriously, I think a lot of that depends on what you do for a living.

Which is always the case - anywhere. In the vast number of cases,
people will not be working in an area of need.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 12:19:07 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>All I did was call city hall to find the locations. The clerk answering
>the phone knew the answer.

Repeating. Until last week - after being a registered and active
voter since age 21, I just found out that we have *real* "early
voting" vs. mail in ballots. IMO, they weren't going out of their way
to inform voters of that option in the past and didn't do it this year
either. As I said before. There is only ONE early voting place here
and that's at City Hall. We have 11 supervisorial districts and I
think there should be at least one early voting spot in each one.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 12:10:51 -0700, Dan Abel > wrote:

>You're lucky to have even one in your city. Most cities don't. There's
>only one PER COUNTY. The only reason you have one in your city, is that
>it's not just the only city in the county, the city limits are the same
>as the county limits.

True, we are the city and county of San Francisco but you made my
point even clearer. California makes it *very* hard for people to
vote early by severely limiting the number of places they can do it
and (even worse) not advertising early voting as an option, which is a
form of voter suppression IMO.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote in :

> Are you inviting anyone over to watch the returns? What are you
> planning for dinner? Will it be labor intensive so you're not really
> paying attention, or will you throw something easy in the oven so you
> can concentrate on the pundit commentaries?

On election night, my daughter and I watched the results in her living
room, after eating a veggie pizza I had made:

pesto to coat the crust
red and green pepper, chopped fine
crumbled goat's milk cheese
pignoli to taste

I made the pesto from fresh basil leaves, oil, and garlic.

Luckily, Harper did not get a majority (in keeping with my "need" for
political content).

--

“Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest
of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest