Old 01-11-2008, 10:39 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Election Night Meal

Are you inviting anyone over to watch the returns? What are you
planning for dinner? Will it be labor intensive so you're not really
paying attention, or will you throw something easy in the oven so you
can concentrate on the pundit commentaries?

Mae West

Old 01-11-2008, 10:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 15:39:01 -0700, sf wrote:

Are you inviting anyone over to watch the returns? What are you
planning for dinner? Will it be labor intensive so you're not really
paying attention, or will you throw something easy in the oven so you
can concentrate on the pundit commentaries?

Not sure yet. Maybe pizza, athough I am trying to keep an eye on what
I eat lately....

Whatever it will be, will be not too labor intensive, as I am an
election addict. I keep glued to the TV and results coming in, til
the bitter end. I still remember staying up to watch the results
coming in from CA, back in the 68 election. Same for the past two
elections. Hopefully I will not have a reason to drown my sorrows
this year...

I did get a bottle of Prosseco, just in case I can celebrate.

What are you fixing?

Christine, who has already voted.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:06 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" wrote in message

Are you inviting anyone over to watch the returns? What are you
planning for dinner? Will it be labor intensive so you're not really
paying attention, or will you throw something easy in the oven so you
can concentrate on the pundit commentaries?

My husband is all for watching the returns, but I am just so tired of all
the talk (and especially the talking heads, half the time what I see
happening is bad enough without some overpaid, undersmart shirt explaining
it ad nauseum) I think I will probably work and just check in from time to
time for a tally.

I could never have people over for the event. If Obama loses, I am not going
to be a good sport. (It's not like a football game. There are real things at
stake, right? *shiver*)

Old 01-11-2008, 11:09 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" wrote in message

Are you inviting anyone over to watch the returns? What are you
planning for dinner? Will it be labor intensive so you're not really
paying attention, or will you throw something easy in the oven so you
can concentrate on the pundit commentaries?

It'll just be us, and we're planning a dinner of appetizers--mostly pre-made
stuff, but I will be making some bruschetta and stuffed mushrooms. DH is
debating about whether to go ahead and buy a bottle of Dom before Tuesday to
toast the results that evening, or wait til after Tuesday to do that (don't
want to jinx anything...).

Mary

Old 01-11-2008, 11:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
Are you inviting anyone over to watch the returns? What are you
planning for dinner? Will it be labor intensive so you're not really
paying attention, or will you throw something easy in the oven so you
can concentrate on the pundit commentaries?

I am afraid to watch the election results. Over the years there have
been a number of candidates with pros and cons. I was stunned to see
Bush elected the first time. I was sadly disappointed to see the
American people re-elect him. Now I am very fearful that my neighbours
might vote for McCain and leave Sarah Pallin and old man's heartbeat
away from the presidency.

Old 01-11-2008, 11:20 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" wrote in message

Are you inviting anyone over to watch the returns? What are you
planning for dinner?

If I could I would invite my BIL over and serve Humble Pie!

Alas he lives too far away.

:-(

Dimitri

Old 01-11-2008, 11:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

sf said...

Are you inviting anyone over to watch the returns? What are you
planning for dinner? Will it be labor intensive so you're not really
paying attention, or will you throw something easy in the oven so you
can concentrate on the pundit commentaries?

I'm going to vote as soon as the polls open then have most of a 2-foot
"breakfast" Philly cheesesteak, a shot of tequila and then smoke a giant,
cheap, stale, old, presidential election day cigar at the park. My
"trifecta" if you will, in horse racing parlance. Say the pledge of
allegiance and wait four more years for my next cigar!

Join me?

Andy
Old 01-11-2008, 11:40 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 1, 4:32*pm, Andy wrote:
sf said...

Are you inviting anyone over to watch the returns? *What are you
planning for dinner? *Will it be labor intensive so you're not really
paying attention, or will you throw something easy in the oven so you
can concentrate on the pundit commentaries?

I'm going to vote as soon as the polls open then have most of a 2-foot
"breakfast" Philly cheesesteak, a shot of tequila and then smoke a giant,
cheap, stale, old, presidential election day cigar at the park. My
"trifecta" if you will, in horse racing parlance. Say the pledge of
allegiance and wait four more years for my next cigar!

Join me?

Andy

Not for a cigar - too bad it's not a doobee then you can really enjoy
the cheesesteak.

:-)

Carp I don't smoke those anymore either.

Dimitri

Old 01-11-2008, 11:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 1, 3:49*pm, Christine Dabney wrote:
[...]

I'm with you, Christine. =o) I'll be at my Dad's for dinner that
night (and lord knows WHAT he'll serve. I don't go for the food. He
does have a much better TV than I do, though.) But I've bought some
brie and pate and have a recording of Beethoven's ninth so I can
celebrate like a proper Liberal Elitist. If what I hope happens
happens, I'll be celebrating for several days.

I voted yesteray and was glad I did it early and early in the day. By
the time I left the Registrar of Voters for my county, the line was
already much longer than it had been when I arrived.

Melissa
Old 01-11-2008, 11:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri said...

On Nov 1, 4:32*pm, Andy wrote:
sf said...

[...]

Dimitri,

Heh heh heh heh heh!

One thing I worry about after voting on election day is which state will
decide the vote. Scary, almost, to think if my vote counts or not!

Best,

Andy

P.S. Try the salmon? VBG --A

Old 02-11-2008, 12:00 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
sf wrote:

Are you inviting anyone over to watch the returns? What are you
planning for dinner? Will it be labor intensive so you're not really
paying attention, or will you throw something easy in the oven so you
can concentrate on the pundit commentaries?

Why? The returns probably won't begin coming in until 11:00pm eastern
time and 8:00pm pacific time. Either one is too late for most people to
eat dinner? On election day though, I will be at a local Obama HQ doing
volunteer work, so unless there's some food there, I won't be eating
anything when the returns start coming in.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:00 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" wrote in message

Are you inviting anyone over to watch the returns? What are you
planning for dinner? Will it be labor intensive so you're not really
paying attention, or will you throw something easy in the oven so you
can concentrate on the pundit commentaries?

Shit, I just want it to be OVER!!

Van

Old 02-11-2008, 12:01 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

Are you inviting anyone over to watch the returns?

No. For one thing, I don't do politics. That said...

What are you planning for dinner?

....for some guests one might want to have some crow on hand.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Old 02-11-2008, 12:06 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Stan Horwitz" wrote

On election day though, I will be at a local Obama HQ doing
volunteer work,

Good for you. The volunteers at the downtown Raleigh early voting center did
a GREAT job today. It took ten minutes from parking to walking out the door
with our stickers. And the line was LONG when we got there, too.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:13 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 1, 3:39�pm, sf wrote:
Are you inviting anyone over to watch the returns? �

No.

What are you planning for dinner? �

Take out Chinese.