Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Election Night Meal

sf wrote:

> True, we are the city and county of San Francisco but you made my
> point even clearer. California makes it *very* hard for people to
> vote early by severely limiting the number of places they can do it
> and (even worse) not advertising early voting as an option, which is a
> form of voter suppression IMO.

I never have any voting here in Canada. I have lived in a number of
different parts of southern Ontario and I have never had to drive more
than mile to a polling station and have never had to wait more than 5
minutes to get a ballot, and I have never missed a municipal, provincial
or federal election.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
merryb > wrote:

> On Nov 1, 8:16*pm, Cindy Fuller >
> wrote:
> > In article >,
> >
> > *sf > wrote:
> > > Are you inviting anyone over to watch the returns? *What are you
> > > planning for dinner? *Will it be labor intensive so you're not really
> > > paying attention, or will you throw something easy in the oven so you
> > > can concentrate on the pundit commentaries?

> > Not sure what we're doing. *It'll be my night to cook. *Both SO and I
> > mailed in our ballots last week. *Since we're on the Left Coast
> > (Seattle), things could be pretty far along by the time we get home from
> > work. *The big drama here will be the governor's race, which is a
> > rematch from 2004.
> >
> > Cindy
> >
> > --
> > C.J. Fuller
> >
> > Delete the obvious to email me

> I can't wait for it to be over- I really dislike them both. But how
> about the Darcy Burner / Dave Reichart one- UG!!! I'm glad to be in
> Pierce Co....

We are in Congressman-for-Life Jim McDermott's district. I haven't seen
a single ad or postcard from his opponent.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> She is also point dog in the Obama smear campaign - which insinuates
> that Obama is a Muslim, not a Christian (christian good - muslim bad),
> by virtue of his middle name and tries to link Obama with terrorism by
> insinuating he "pals around" (smear campaign words) with a washed up
> terrorist named Bill Ayers, the man who co-founded the Weather
> Underground and is now a professor of education at the University of
> Illinois, Chicago. According to published reports, in 1995 Bill Ayers
> received a $50 million grant from The Annenberg Foundation to match
> local private funds for improving schools in Chicago. Barak Obama was
> asked to serve as the board chairman of the Annenberg Challenge
> Project.

Obama has deep family roots in the US. His Dunham family were among the
original settlers in the Massachusetts colony.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> sf > : in
> rec.food.cooking
>
>> Are you inviting anyone over to watch the returns? What are you
>> planning for dinner? Will it be labor intensive so you're not really
>> paying attention, or will you throw something easy in the oven so you
>> can concentrate on the pundit commentaries?

We have a very long tradition, going back ~40 years, of beef stew and
corn muffins for election night, and inviting a few friends for dinner
and to watch the returns.

The past 12 years I and sometimes DH have worked as election precinct
judges, from 6AM till at least 8PM. That means eating out or quick
heating something prepared.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel wrote:

> Just like the US. Good luck getting a work permit without certain
> skills.

Don't worry. If by some miracle McCain and Pallin win the election:

http://link.brightcove.com:80/servic...tid=1842856410

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stan Horwitz wrote:
> �sf > wrote:
> > Are you inviting anyone over to watch the returns? �What are you
> > planning for dinner? �Will it be labor intensive so you're not really
> > paying attention, or will you throw something easy in the oven so you
> > can concentrate on the pundit commentaries?

> Why? The returns probably won't begin coming in until 11:00pm eastern
> time and 8:00pm pacific time. Either one is too late for most people to
> eat dinner? On election day though, I will be at a local Obama HQ doing
> volunteer work, so unless there's some food there, I won't be eating
> anything when the returns start coming in.

Maybe you can bake B.O.'s favorite... pie.

HUMBLE PIE

1 unbaked shell
1 stick butter
3 eggs
1 1/2 c. sugar
2 tbsp. flour
2 tbsp. vinegar
1 tbsp. vanilla

Melt and cool 1 stick butter. Beat eggs. Add melted butter, sugar,
flour, vinegar and vanilla; blend well. Pour into pie shell and bake
45 minutes at 300 degrees.

COOKS.COM
---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gregory Morrow" > wrote

> "Volunteering" is strictly for fools, Stan, with all of Obama's dough you
> should be getting *paid*...
>

> --
> Best
> Greg

Duh! Our event is catered, and a truckload of beer besides. But only if we
carry through on voting as many times as those ACORN people had us register.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 1, 5:39 pm, sf > wrote:
> Are you inviting anyone over to watch the returns? What are you
> planning for dinner?

I plan to drink a glass or two of something alcoholic, just to
celebrate the end of this election period. Special meal? I barely
know what I'm eating tom'w morning.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 2 Nov 2008 16:20:21 -0800, "SteveB" <toquerville@zionvistas>
wrote:

> But only if we
>carry through on voting as many times as those ACORN people had us register.

Vote early and vote often, but your vote will only be counted once.

Have fun!

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Sun, 2 Nov 2008 12:09:47 -0600, "Gregory Morrow"
> > wrote:
>
> >Why would CA want to do that? I thought it was a "bellweather" state in
> >many ways,

> It's a bellwether state because of sheer numbers, Greg. Nobody would
> give a rat's patooty about CA if it had the population of... let's
> say: Alaska.
>
> >I guess in this particular case they are behind the times.

> Perpetually. Ever since Governor Regan in fact. Our
> college/university system is in shambles now. We were very
> progressive in making higher education affordable to all residents.
> Not anymore. *I* have to think twice about if I want to take courses
> for credit or not, because although CCSF is reasonable, SFSU isn't.
> Living literally a few blocks away from both makes it all the sadder.

California wanted prop 13. They got it. We've been paying for that
ever since.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 12:17:58 -0600, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
> >Just curious, why do you consider Palin to be a Whack job? I've
> >listened to some radio interviews with her, and she seems to be pretty
> >bright.

> I've already stated my objections to her before. At the very top of
> my list is her "Creationist" POV (basically anti-modern science),
> second is her "Right to Life" position meaning *no choices* for
> anyone. Let people like her get a foothold in American national
> politics and we're even closer to having a government like what we
> claim to be fighting against. Islam has their Imams. We have the
> leaders of our conservative Christian coalition. They are very close
> in ideologies. Think about it.
>
> She doesn't even understand the VPs only role is to serve as President
> of the Senate and the most important thing a VP does is cast a vote in
> the event of a tie. A VP is *not* a policy maker (which she wants to
> be). A VP can be an influence peddler, which can then affect
> policy... but there is no direct policy making role and the office
> should never have that kind of power.
>
> She is also point dog in the Obama smear campaign - which insinuates
> that Obama is a Muslim, not a Christian (christian good - muslim bad),
> by virtue of his middle name and tries to link Obama with terrorism by
> insinuating he "pals around" (smear campaign words) with a washed up
> terrorist named Bill Ayers, the man who co-founded the Weather
> Underground and is now a professor of education at the University of
> Illinois, Chicago. According to published reports, in 1995 Bill Ayers
> received a $50 million grant from The Annenberg Foundation to match
> local private funds for improving schools in Chicago. Barak Obama was
> asked to serve as the board chairman of the Annenberg Challenge
> Project.

Thanks.
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 12:19:07 -0600, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
> >All I did was call city hall to find the locations. The clerk answering
> >the phone knew the answer.

> Repeating. Until last week - after being a registered and active
> voter since age 21, I just found out that we have *real* "early
> voting" vs. mail in ballots. IMO, they weren't going out of their way
> to inform voters of that option in the past and didn't do it this year
> either. As I said before. There is only ONE early voting place here
> and that's at City Hall. We have 11 supervisorial districts and I
> think there should be at least one early voting spot in each one.

So get politically active and try to change it. :-)
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Dan Abel > wrote:

> In article >,
> Omelet > wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > sf > wrote:

> > > Good luck getting a work permit.

> > Seriously, I think a lot of that depends on what you do for a living.

> Sort of like in the US?

Exactly.
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article > ,
Dave Smith > wrote:

> Dan Abel wrote:
> >

> > Just like the US. Good luck getting a work permit without certain
> > skills.
> >

> Don't worry. If by some miracle McCain and Pallin win the election:
>
> http://link.brightcove.com:80/servic...tid=1842856410

My vote probably did not count since I live in Texas. It's a given that
McCain will take this state.
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Omelet > wrote:

> In article > ,
> Dave Smith > wrote:
>
> > Dan Abel wrote:
> > >

> > > Just like the US. Good luck getting a work permit without certain
> > > skills.
> > >

> > Don't worry. If by some miracle McCain and Pallin win the election:
> >
> > http://link.brightcove.com:80/servic...ctid=184285641
> > 0

> My vote probably did not count since I live in Texas. It's a given that
> McCain will take this state.

Been there, done that in Dallas and NC. I wasted so much effort sending
letters to my senators and congresspeople there.

We may have sausages for dinner Tuesday night, in honor of the old
adage, "It's best not to watch sausage and laws being made."

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 18:11:22 -0700, Dan Abel > wrote:

>California wanted prop 13. They got it. We've been paying for that
>ever since.

Prop 13 came at a time when retired people were losing their homes
because they couldn't afford to pay their taxes due to property
inflation. When it was passed *30 years ago*, those in charge chose
to punish voters by cutting essential services that interfaced
directly with residents: upgrading infrastructure, supporting social
services, hospitals, education (universities only felt it in the
recent past), police and fire departments. They didn't cut *any*
excess staffing at the state, county and civic level or *any* of the
unnecessary programs voters wanted cut. When they cut, they made sure
it punished voters.

In CA, once a program is funded - it continues to the very end, even
if it means one single person has nothing better to do than read the
newspaper at his desk all day long. However, CA voters have been
strong and have not wavered on Prop 13 because if they ever do, they
will not get the mine - they *will* get the shaft.

The real problem with Prop 13 isn't with home owners (the people
republicans love to blame). The problem is that big business was
included in the deal. Yes, we need to amend Prop 13. We need to tax
business properties at full land value. Most CA homes have turned
over by this time and few home owners are enjoying the benefits of
Prop 13, unlike most of the office buildings downtown. If both homes
and business have turned over equally, then Prop 13 is just a straw
man argument.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 19:44:06 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 12:19:07 -0600, Omelet >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >All I did was call city hall to find the locations. The clerk answering
>> >the phone knew the answer.

>> Repeating. Until last week - after being a registered and active
>> voter since age 21, I just found out that we have *real* "early
>> voting" vs. mail in ballots. IMO, they weren't going out of their way
>> to inform voters of that option in the past and didn't do it this year
>> either. As I said before. There is only ONE early voting place here
>> and that's at City Hall. We have 11 supervisorial districts and I
>> think there should be at least one early voting spot in each one.

>So get politically active and try to change it. :-)

It's only been a couple of days since I found out. My district's
supervisor is up for election, so I'll email my thoughts to the person
who wins.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Stan Horwitz > wrote:

> In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
> > Are you inviting anyone over to watch the returns? What are you
> > planning for dinner? Will it be labor intensive so you're not really
> > paying attention, or will you throw something easy in the oven so you
> > can concentrate on the pundit commentaries?

> Why? The returns probably won't begin coming in until 11:00pm eastern
> time and 8:00pm pacific time.

The networks will not call the winner of the presidential race until
they have clear exit poll results for enough states to reach 270
electoral votes. But, for people on the west coast, the outcome may be
fairly clear early in the evening. The official polls in most of the
swing states close at 5pm PST or earlier. See this map for state
closing times:

http://www.swingstateproject.com/sho...o?diaryId=3641

If there are blowout numbers in the exit polls for a state, the pundits
will predict the result right after the official polls close. There are
probably not going to be any big surprises in the results for the
western states.

--
Julian Vrieslander
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news

> My vote probably did not count since I live in Texas. It's a given that
> McCain will take this state.

As much as I liked living in Texas (and there were many things I loved about
that state), I definitely do NOT miss the political climate. The last 10
years we lived there we lived in *very* conservative Houston suburbs (Sugar
Land and The Woodlands).

Gotta say...I LOVE living in a blue state again...

Mary

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 18:11:22 -0700, Dan Abel > wrote:
>
> >California wanted prop 13. They got it. We've been paying for that
> >ever since.

> Prop 13 came at a time when retired people were losing their homes
> because they couldn't afford to pay their taxes due to property
> inflation. When it was passed *30 years ago*, those in charge chose
> to punish voters by cutting essential services that interfaced
> directly with residents: upgrading infrastructure, supporting social
> services, hospitals, education (universities only felt it in the
> recent past), police and fire departments. They didn't cut *any*
> excess staffing at the state, county and civic level or *any* of the
> unnecessary programs voters wanted cut. When they cut, they made sure
> it punished voters.
>
> In CA, once a program is funded - it continues to the very end, even
> if it means one single person has nothing better to do than read the
> newspaper at his desk all day long. However, CA voters have been
> strong and have not wavered on Prop 13 because if they ever do, they
> will not get the mine - they *will* get the shaft.
>
> The real problem with Prop 13 isn't with home owners (the people
> republicans love to blame). The problem is that big business was
> included in the deal.

Cough...cough...sputter...sputter. They were *included*? They wrote
it, promoted it and got it passed. It was *all* about big business.
Not the ads, of course. They were all about the little retired guy, you
know, the one who now has a house four times bigger than they need, with
a yard that they have to pay to care for because they are no longer able
to do it; but they can't afford to sell that monster (along with the
monster utility bill) because of prop 13. The average homeowner sells
every 7 years, either because a bigger family needs a bigger house or
because of job changes. When was the last time the utility company
moved?

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> Are you inviting anyone over to watch the returns?

Wouldn't inflict that level of boredom on my worst enemy

What are you
> planning for dinner? Will it be labor intensive so you're not really
> paying attention, or will you throw something easy in the oven so you
> can concentrate on the pundit commentaries?

What dinner?? LOL my stomach already hurts thinking about either of THEM
running a country.

However there is always:

Election Cake (1802...from: Grandmother's Country Cookbook)

Five pounds of dried sifted flour, two pounds fresh-churned butter, two
pounds loaf sugar, broken up and powdered in a mortar and pestle,
cup-and-a-half distillery yeast or twice that quantity of homemade
yeast, four fresh eggs, half a cup of wine or brandy, half an ounce of
nutmeg, and two pounds dried fruits, a quart fresh sweet milk.

Rub the butter very fine into the flour; add half the sugar, then the
yeast, then half the milk, scalded and cooled to lukewarm, then the eggs
well beaten, the wine and the remainder of the milk. Beat thoroughly and
let rise overnight. In the morning stir in the sugar, spices and fruit.
Mix well using the hands if necessary. Let rise three or four hours till
very light. Place in buttered bread tins lined with buttered paper.
Cover and let rise again until double in bulk. Bake in a moderately hot
stove until golden brown, about fifty minutes.

More about election cake:
http://drupal02.nypl.org/blogs/2008/10/17/election-cake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article

,
Cindy Fuller > wrote:

> Been there, done that in Dallas and NC. I wasted so much effort sending
> letters to my senators and congresspeople there.

Some of us just call them "Congress critters".

> We may have sausages for dinner Tuesday night, in honor of the old
> adage, "It's best not to watch sausage and laws being made."
>
> Cindy

True. <g>
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article > ,
"Gregory Morrow" > wrote:

> Why would CA want to do that? I thought it was a "bellweather"

bellwether:
bellwether |?bel?we??r|
noun
the leading sheep of a flock, with a bell on its neck.
€ an indicator or predictor of something : college campuses are often
the bellwether of change | [as adj. ] the market's bellwether stock.

:-)

I voted an absentee ballot about two weeks ago.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kilikini
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 18:11:22 -0700, Dan Abel wrote:

> In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 2 Nov 2008 12:09:47 -0600, "Gregory Morrow"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>Why would CA want to do that? I thought it was a "bellweather" state in
>>>many ways,

>> It's a bellwether state because of sheer numbers, Greg. Nobody would
>> give a rat's patooty about CA if it had the population of... let's
>> say: Alaska.
>>
>>>I guess in this particular case they are behind the times.

>> Perpetually. Ever since Governor Regan in fact. Our
>> college/university system is in shambles now. We were very
>> progressive in making higher education affordable to all residents.
>> Not anymore. *I* have to think twice about if I want to take courses
>> for credit or not, because although CCSF is reasonable, SFSU isn't.
>> Living literally a few blocks away from both makes it all the sadder.

> California wanted prop 13. They got it. We've been paying for that
> ever since.

prop 13 is a prime example of why government by voter initiative is a bad
idea. the current prop 8 is another.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 12:17:58 -0600, Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 15:38:04 GMT, blake murphy
>> > wrote:

>>>eh, how bad can it be?
>>>
>>>if george bush could not completely destroy the country despite his best
>>>efforts, we'll muddle through regardless.
>>>

>> I think you're right. We're down so far we have to look up to see the
>> bottom, but we'll persevere and get through it.
>>
>> I'll be relieved to have a new president, no matter who it is - but
>> I'd feel a lot better about McCain if he hadn't chosen that whack job
>> Palin as a running mate.

> Just curious, why do you consider Palin to be a Whack job? I've
> listened to some radio interviews with her, and she seems to be pretty
> bright.
>
> You know I'm always up for other opinions.

did you listen to the couric interview? i thought she sounded pretty
****ing stupid.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake wrote on Mon, 03 Nov 2008 16:15:29 GMT:

> did you listen to the couric interview? i thought she sounded
> pretty ****ing stupid.

Did you see Conan O'Brien's story that the Secret Service caught a man
climbing over the White House fence and told him to get right back in
again since he had two months more to go?

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 09:06:48 -0800, sf wrote:

> On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 15:38:04 GMT, blake murphy
> > wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 1 Nov 2008 22:06:27 -0800, SteveB wrote:
>>
>>> Maybe something with arsenic or hemlock depending on the results

>>eh, how bad can it be?
>>
>>if george bush could not completely destroy the country despite his best
>>efforts, we'll muddle through regardless.
>>

> I think you're right. We're down so far we have to look up to see the
> bottom, but we'll persevere and get through it.
>
> I'll be relieved to have a new president, no matter who it is - but
> I'd feel a lot better about McCain if he hadn't chosen that whack job
> Palin as a running mate.

maybe you've seen this interactive display of palin's white house office:

<http://www.palinaspresident.us/>

click on each item, often several times.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Shudder! This may be the last meal of a democratic society. After this, we
may all get together for potato soup at the Gulag every four years.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 3 Nov 2008 00:10:44 -0500, MareCat wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news
>>
>> My vote probably did not count since I live in Texas. It's a given that
>> McCain will take this state.

> As much as I liked living in Texas (and there were many things I loved about
> that state), I definitely do NOT miss the political climate. The last 10
> years we lived there we lived in *very* conservative Houston suburbs (Sugar
> Land and The Woodlands).
>
> Gotta say...I LOVE living in a blue state again...
>
> Mary

at least sugar land gave 'hot tub' tom delay the boot. true, he had to be
indicted first, but better late than never..

i understand his successor is in a tight race to retain the seat. hope he
makes it.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 10:22:16 -0800, sf wrote:

> On Sun, 2 Nov 2008 10:10:47 -0600, "Gregory Morrow" >
> wrote:
>
>>Whoever wins, the euphoria is going to wear off *very* fast what with the
>>lousy economic nooze that will be battering us in the coming months...it
>>AIN'T going to pretty, kids...!!!

> I think we're all grown up enough to know that a new president can't
> be a messiah... until or unless he can dig us out of the present hole
> that we and our grandchildren will be paying off.
>
> Most of us are prepared to grab onto the handle bars and ride it out.
> I bet the loudest complainers will be those who voted President
> Numbskull in TWICE.

if you think the wingers are apeshit now, wait and see if obama wins. it
will make the clinton days look like a tea party.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 2 Nov 2008 12:17:48 -0800, TammyM wrote:

> "The Ranger" > wrote in message
> ndwidth...
>> TammyM > wrote in message
>> [snip]
>>> I'm planning on having a bottle of champagne here.

>> Cold Duck or Cook's?! Inquiring minds and all that.
>>
>> The Ranger

> <slap slap slap>
>
> Smart ass. You know my budget too well :-> OK already, it'll be sparkling
> wine. Many steps up from Cooks but it won't be Dom either.
>
> The last time I cracked open a bottle of champers on election night was
> 1992. Color me hopeful.
>
> TammyM, pauper-ina and dyed in the wool liberal-progressive-democrat-pinko

may the best young black man win!

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy"

> if you think the wingers are apeshit now, wait and see if obama wins. it
> will make the clinton days look like a tea party.
>
> your pal,
> blake

I had a conversation about this today with a visiting friend. He also
remembers the Sixties and Seventies. What happened to us? What happened to
the excitement over freedom, equality, respect for rights? How did we end
up rearing kids who beat up old people for fun? Kids with no respect for
anything? How did all those beautiful and earnest youngsters turn into US?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
. ..
> On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 10:22:16 -0800, sf wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 2 Nov 2008 10:10:47 -0600, "Gregory Morrow" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Whoever wins, the euphoria is going to wear off *very* fast what with the
>>>lousy economic nooze that will be battering us in the coming months...it
>>>AIN'T going to pretty, kids...!!!

>> I think we're all grown up enough to know that a new president can't
>> be a messiah... until or unless he can dig us out of the present hole
>> that we and our grandchildren will be paying off.
>>
>> Most of us are prepared to grab onto the handle bars and ride it out.
>> I bet the loudest complainers will be those who voted President
>> Numbskull in TWICE.

> if you think the wingers are apeshit now, wait and see if obama wins. it
> will make the clinton days look like a tea party.

I am already practicing my Zen meditations to keep from getting upset at all
the filthy stuff they will do to discredit the Obamas.

While at the same time distancing myself from the process emotionally just
in case McCain wins.

It keeps me busy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"SteveB" <toquerville@zionvistas> wrote in message
> Shudder! This may be the last meal of a democratic society. After this,
> we may all get together for potato soup at the Gulag every four years.

heh heh heh

Go ahead, capitalist pig. Sweat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:

> On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 12:17:58 -0600, Omelet wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > sf > wrote:
> >
> >> On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 15:38:04 GMT, blake murphy

> >> I think you're right. We're down so far we have to look up to see the
> >> bottom, but we'll persevere and get through it.
> >>
> >> I'll be relieved to have a new president, no matter who it is - but
> >> I'd feel a lot better about McCain if he hadn't chosen that whack job
> >> Palin as a running mate.

> > Just curious, why do you consider Palin to be a Whack job? I've
> > listened to some radio interviews with her, and she seems to be pretty
> > bright.
> >
> > You know I'm always up for other opinions.

> did you listen to the couric interview? i thought she sounded pretty
> ****ing stupid.
>
> your pal,
> blake

Sorry, missed that one.
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:

> On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 09:06:48 -0800, sf wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 15:38:04 GMT, blake murphy
> > > wrote:

> >>eh, how bad can it be?
> >>
> >>if george bush could not completely destroy the country despite his best
> >>efforts, we'll muddle through regardless.
> >>

> > I think you're right. We're down so far we have to look up to see the
> > bottom, but we'll persevere and get through it.
> >
> > I'll be relieved to have a new president, no matter who it is - but
> > I'd feel a lot better about McCain if he hadn't chosen that whack job
> > Palin as a running mate.

> maybe you've seen this interactive display of palin's white house office:
>
> <http://www.palinaspresident.us/>
>
> click on each item, often several times.
>
> your pal,
> blake

Sorry, but that does not count towards reality...
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
.. .
> On Mon, 3 Nov 2008 00:10:44 -0500, MareCat wrote:
>
>> "Omelet" > wrote in message
>> news
>>>
>>> My vote probably did not count since I live in Texas. It's a given that
>>> McCain will take this state.

>> As much as I liked living in Texas (and there were many things I loved
>> about
>> that state), I definitely do NOT miss the political climate. The last 10
>> years we lived there we lived in *very* conservative Houston suburbs
>> (Sugar
>> Land and The Woodlands).
>>
>> Gotta say...I LOVE living in a blue state again...
>>
>> Mary

> at least sugar land gave 'hot tub' tom delay the boot. true, he had to be
> indicted first, but better late than never..

"Sweet" justice.

Mary

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> blake murphy > wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 12:17:58 -0600, Omelet wrote:
>>

>> > Just curious, why do you consider Palin to be a Whack job? I've
>> > listened to some radio interviews with her, and she seems to be pretty
>> > bright.
>> >
>> > You know I'm always up for other opinions.

>> did you listen to the couric interview? i thought she sounded pretty
>> ****ing stupid.
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

> Sorry, missed that one.

It was a very revealing interview. Check it out on YouTube.

Mary

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"MareCat" > wrote in message
> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news
>> In article >,
>> blake murphy > wrote:

>>> did you listen to the couric interview? i thought she sounded pretty
>>> ****ing stupid.
>>>
>>> your pal,
>>> blake

>> Sorry, missed that one.

> It was a very revealing interview. Check it out on YouTube.

Yes, it was. Very revealing, assuming the viewer has half a brain.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article > ,
> "Gregory Morrow" > wrote:
>
> > Why would CA want to do that? I thought it was a "bellweather"

> bellwether:
> bellwether |?bel?we??r|
> noun
> the leading sheep of a flock, with a bell on its neck.
> ? an indicator or predictor of something : college campuses are often
> the bellwether of change | [as adj. ] the market's bellwether stock.
>
> :-)

I reply, "Ba - a - a - a ...

;-)

> I voted an absentee ballot about two weeks ago.

I think that's what I'll do next time, I'm over this waiting in line jazz...

--
Best
Greg