Puester

Default Election night tradition

Do you have a traditional meal you serve on election night?

I've always made beef stew and corn muffins until 2000 which
was the first presidential election I worked as an election
official from 6AM-8PM or so.

I think we'll have it Monday night this year.

gloria p
Janet Bostwick

"Puester" > wrote in message

> Do you have a traditional meal you serve on election night?
>
> I've always made beef stew and corn muffins until 2000 which
> was the first presidential election I worked as an election
> official from 6AM-8PM or so.
>
> I think we'll have it Monday night this year.
>
> gloria p

My dad always worked at the polls as an election supervisor so he was gone
all day. My mom and I stopped at the local butcher shop and the butcher
made up ham sandwiches on Wisconsin hard rolls for us to take home. We also
got those little bottles of dairy orange drink and small bags of potato
chips. This was heaven. It was before fast food and eating out a lot. The
butcher wasn't a deli business, but it was the best food ever. I keep
trying to make ham sandwiches taste as good as those did. So every once in
a while we have ham sandwiches and potato chips.
Janet

Becca

I will be on a Caribbean cruise during the election. My friends and I
will stay awake and watch the results.

Becca
Steve Calvin

Puester wrote:

> Do you have a traditional meal you serve on election night?
>
> I've always made beef stew and corn muffins until 2000 which
> was the first presidential election I worked as an election
> official from 6AM-8PM or so.
>
> I think we'll have it Monday night this year.
>
> gloria p

I usually have lasagna, salad, and rolls. I figure that no matter who
gets in we're still "dead" so I may was well treat it like a wake.

--
Steve

Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it.
Autograph your work with excellence.

Melba's Jammin'

In article > , Dog3
<dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote:
> Cheese soup, salad and crusty bread along with snacks.
>
> Michael

What are the particulars on the cheese soup? Sounds like a nice menu.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 10-22-04; Popovers!.
"Peace will come when the power of love overcomes the love of power."

Puester

Janet Bostwick wrote:

> My dad always worked at the polls as an election supervisor so he was gone
> all day. My mom and I stopped at the local butcher shop and the butcher
> made up ham sandwiches on Wisconsin hard rolls for us to take home. We also
> got those little bottles of dairy orange drink and small bags of potato
> chips. This was heaven. It was before fast food and eating out a lot. The
> butcher wasn't a deli business, but it was the best food ever. I keep
> trying to make ham sandwiches taste as good as those did. So every once in
> a while we have ham sandwiches and potato chips.
> Janet

Isn't it amazing how ordinarily mundane food, eaten under
special circumstances, can become a feast that you remember
for years?

gloria p
Janet Bostwick

"Puester" > wrote in message
> Janet Bostwick wrote:
>>

>> My dad always worked at the polls as an election supervisor so he was
>> gone
>> all day. My mom and I stopped at the local butcher shop and the butcher
>> made up ham sandwiches on Wisconsin hard rolls for us to take home. We
>> also
>> got those little bottles of dairy orange drink and small bags of potato
>> chips. This was heaven. It was before fast food and eating out a lot.
>> The
>> butcher wasn't a deli business, but it was the best food ever. I keep
>> trying to make ham sandwiches taste as good as those did. So every once
>> in
>> a while we have ham sandwiches and potato chips.
>> Janet

> Isn't it amazing how ordinarily mundane food, eaten under
> special circumstances, can become a feast that you remember
> for years?
>
> gloria p

Oh, yeah. I think that's what a lot of preparing food is all about--either
creating or re-creating memories.
Janet

Dean G.

Becca > wrote in message
> My friends and I will stay awake and watch the results.
>
> Becca

That's what I thought last time.<g>

Dean G.
Shawn Hearn

In article >,
Puester > wrote:

> Do you have a traditional meal you serve on election night?
>
> I've always made beef stew and corn muffins until 2000 which
> was the first presidential election I worked as an election
> official from 6AM-8PM or so.
>
> I think we'll have it Monday night this year.

I don't have a traditional meal, but I do have an election tradition.
Its something I have done ever since I reached adulthood. I take a
vacation day on election day and the day after for presidential
elections. The polls for my voting district are in the lobby of the
apartment building where I live. I usually get up fairly early to beat
the rush at the polls, and I vote, then I go out to a local diner
for breakfast and I pick up all the local newspapers. After breakfast, I
plop down in my recliner, turn on the TV news and read my newspapers and
I also scan the web for news about the election. That's what I have done
every year for at since Bush the elder first ran for office. For dinner,
I usually send out for pizza or a Philly cheese steak. I usually don't
cook anything because I like to concentrate on watching/reading the news
on election day and the day after.
MareCat

"Puester" > wrote in message

> Do you have a traditional meal you serve on election night?

We don't have a traditional meal, but this year we'll be serving up New
England foods. (I may be glancing back through Sheryl's Red Sox food thread
to get some ideas.)

We definitely won't be having any Tex-Mex that night...

Mary--in Shrub/DeLay land

Grismalkin

>Do you have a traditional meal you serve on election night?
>
>I've always made beef stew and corn muffins until 2000 which
>was the first presidential election I worked as an election
>official from 6AM-8PM or so.
>
>I think we'll have it Monday night this year.
>
>gloria p

That sounds good to me. Maybe I will make that. Or senate bean soup, which we
love. And, since I have no ham bone here, I will have to do it more
authentically with ham hocks for the first time.

You election officials make voting a pleasant experience . I voted 2 days ago
at the Safeway and am glad that I can ignore all the commercials and stuff now
- it's over with for me!

Puester

Grismalkin wrote:

> >Do you have a traditional meal you serve on election night?
> >
> >I've always made beef stew and corn muffins until 2000 which
> >was the first presidential election I worked as an election
> >official from 6AM-8PM or so.
> >
> >I think we'll have it Monday night this year.
> >
> >gloria p
> >

> That sounds good to me. Maybe I will make that. Or senate bean soup, which we
> love. And, since I have no ham bone here, I will have to do it more
> authentically with ham hocks for the first time.
>
> You election officials make voting a pleasant experience . I voted 2 days ago
> at the Safeway and am glad that I can ignore all the commercials and stuff now
> - it's over with for me!

I'm planning to take a bowl of leftover Halloween candy
for the voters. I just hope I can keep it hidden from
the kids since our precinct votes in a middle school
and the kids love to stick their heads in the door to
see the voting machines.

gloria p
Lynn

Puester > wrote in message >...
> Do you have a traditional meal you serve on election night?
>
> I've always made beef stew and corn muffins until 2000 which
> was the first presidential election I worked as an election
> official from 6AM-8PM or so.
>
> I think we'll have it Monday night this year.
>
> gloria p

I don't, but my grandmother says they always made saurkraut on
election day. It wasn't (?) a comment on the election, just that the
cabbage was ready then.