Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Roast Cauliflower Soup

Since I'm going to have a wealth of stock this week, I just may try
this. I subscribe to Dr. Ben Kim's weekly e-mail Newsletter and he
often posts some really decent and healthy recipes. I thought I'd share
this one this week as it sounds especially good, as well as being
inexpensive. <g> I'll skip the spuds tho' and I'd for sure use the
Shallots rather than the onion for flavor. I may even use both:

Roasted Cauliflower Soup Recipe
By Dr. Ben Kim on October 10, 2008

Healthy Soups

This roasted cauliflower soup is surprisingly rich in vitamin C. It's
also rich in indole-3-carbinole, a phytonutrient that can stimulate
cellular detoxification.

Indole-3-carbinole's ability to prevent estrogen dominance is what makes
cauliflower - naturally rich in indole-3-carbinole - an excellent food
choice for cancer prevention, particularly breast cancer prevention.

Enjoy this delicious and nutrient-rich roasted cauliflower soup recipe.

Ingredients:

2 heads cauliflower
2 Yukon gold potatoes, roughly chopped into bite-size pieces
3 garlic cloves
2 shallots (or one large onion)
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3 cups vegetable broth or organic chicken broth
1 cup water
Sea salt and pepper, to taste

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 F.

Cut cauliflower into 1-inch flowerets (about 10 cups). In a large baking
pan toss cauliflower, potatoes, garlic, and shallots with olive oil and
roast in oven for about 25-35 minutes, or until golden.

In a large pot, simmer broth, water, roasted cauliflower and potato
mixture for 20 minutes, or until cauliflower is very tender. Use your
blender to puree soup in batches until smooth and return to pot. Add sea
salt and pepper to taste. Heat soup over low to medium heat until just
heated through.

(Posters note: I'd use a hand blender for ease. I have to wonder if
the Author knows about them?)

Makes approximately 10 cups.

Optional: sprinkle some fresh chopped parsley on top of each bowl for
presentation just before serving.

(Celery leaf might work too for those that like it).
--
Peace! Om

"He who has the gold makes the rules"
--Om

"He who has the guns can get the gold."
-- Steve Rothstein
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> Roasted Cauliflower Soup Recipe
> By Dr. Ben Kim on October 10, 2008
>
> Healthy Soups
>
> This roasted cauliflower soup is surprisingly rich in vitamin C. It's
> also rich in indole-3-carbinole, a phytonutrient that can stimulate
> cellular detoxification.

Thanks, Om, that sounds really good.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Om wondered:

> Use your blender to puree soup in batches until smooth and return to pot.
>
> (Posters note: I'd use a hand blender for ease. I have to wonder if
> the Author knows about them?)

A countertop blender is better at getting a completely-smooth texture; maybe
that's why the author wrote the recipe that way.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in news:HsJIk.1358$qH4.20
@newsfe03.ams2:

> Omelet wrote:
>
>> Roasted Cauliflower Soup Recipe
>> By Dr. Ben Kim on October 10, 2008
>>
>> Healthy Soups
>>
>> This roasted cauliflower soup is surprisingly rich in vitamin C. It's
>> also rich in indole-3-carbinole, a phytonutrient that can stimulate
>> cellular detoxification.

> Thanks, Om, that sounds really good.
>
> nancy

I'd roast carrots with this as well one or 2. For color and a hint of
sweetness. Also herb everthing well before roasting. (whatever herbs go
with carrots and cauliflower. Say tarragon and or rosemary)

And Please God Don't Forget the Garlic. Just a clove or 3. All Roasted
together it would be heaven on a spoon.

--

The beet goes on -Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

hahabogus wrote:
> "Nancy Young" > wrote in news:HsJIk.1358$qH4.20
> @newsfe03.ams2:
>
>> Omelet wrote:
>>
>>> Roasted Cauliflower Soup Recipe
>>> By Dr. Ben Kim on October 10, 2008
>>>
>>> Healthy Soups
>>>
>>> This roasted cauliflower soup is surprisingly rich in vitamin C.
>>> It's also rich in indole-3-carbinole, a phytonutrient that can
>>> stimulate cellular detoxification.

>> Thanks, Om, that sounds really good.

> I'd roast carrots with this as well one or 2. For color and a hint of
> sweetness. Also herb everthing well before roasting. (whatever herbs
> go with carrots and cauliflower. Say tarragon and or rosemary)

I like your suggestions except for the carrots. I don't want that
pale orange color soup, plus I don't want it sweet at all.

> And Please God Don't Forget the Garlic. Just a clove or 3. All Roasted
> together it would be heaven on a spoon.

Me? Forget the garlic? Not likely. Heh.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> Since I'm going to have a wealth of stock this week, I just may try
> this.
>
> Roasted Cauliflower Soup Recipe
> By Dr. Ben Kim on October 10, 2008
>
> Ingredients:
>
> 2 heads cauliflower
> 2 Yukon gold potatoes, roughly chopped into bite-size pieces
> 3 garlic cloves
> 2 shallots (or one large onion)
> 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
> 3 cups vegetable broth or organic chicken broth
> 1 cup water
> Sea salt and pepper, to taste

(more snippage)

It sounds good! But two heads of cauliflower to 4 cups of liquid sounds
like waaaay too much. Even the small heads of cauliflower I've seen lately
were rather large.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> Omelet wrote:
>> Since I'm going to have a wealth of stock this week, I just may try
>> this.
>>
>> Roasted Cauliflower Soup Recipe
>> By Dr. Ben Kim on October 10, 2008
>>
>> Ingredients:
>>
>> 2 heads cauliflower
>> 2 Yukon gold potatoes, roughly chopped into bite-size pieces
>> 3 garlic cloves
>> 2 shallots (or one large onion)
>> 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
>> 3 cups vegetable broth or organic chicken broth
>> 1 cup water
>> Sea salt and pepper, to taste
>>

> (more snippage)
>
> It sounds good! But two heads of cauliflower to 4 cups of liquid
> sounds like waaaay too much. Even the small heads of cauliflower
> I've seen lately were rather large.

I would definitely not make two cauliflower's worth, that's
way too much for just me, I was just going to wing it,
quantities-wise.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> Om wondered:
>
> > Use your blender to puree soup in batches until smooth and return to pot.
> >
> > (Posters note: I'd use a hand blender for ease. I have to wonder if
> > the Author knows about them?)

> A countertop blender is better at getting a completely-smooth texture; maybe
> that's why the author wrote the recipe that way.
>
> Bob

Could be. I subscribe to Dr. Ben Kim's Newsletter. Some spam, but a LOT
of really good information so well worth it.
--
Peace! Om

"He who has the gold makes the rules"
--Om

"He who has the guns can get the gold."
-- Steve Rothstein
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
hahabogus > wrote:

> "Nancy Young" > wrote in news:HsJIk.1358$qH4.20
> @newsfe03.ams2:
>
> > Omelet wrote:
> >
> >> Roasted Cauliflower Soup Recipe
> >> By Dr. Ben Kim on October 10, 2008
> >>
> >> Healthy Soups
> >>
> >> This roasted cauliflower soup is surprisingly rich in vitamin C. It's
> >> also rich in indole-3-carbinole, a phytonutrient that can stimulate
> >> cellular detoxification.

> > Thanks, Om, that sounds really good.
> >
> > nancy

> I'd roast carrots with this as well one or 2. For color and a hint of
> sweetness. Also herb everthing well before roasting. (whatever herbs go
> with carrots and cauliflower. Say tarragon and or rosemary)
>
> And Please God Don't Forget the Garlic. Just a clove or 3. All Roasted
> together it would be heaven on a spoon.

One clove of garlic perhaps...

I'm leery of too much carrot in any "delicate" flavored recipe as they
tend to totally take over. Might add one small carrot.

Shallot is preferable to garlic I think in this case.

YMMV. ;-)
--
Peace! Om

"He who has the gold makes the rules"
--Om

"He who has the guns can get the gold."
-- Steve Rothstein
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > Since I'm going to have a wealth of stock this week, I just may try
> > this.
> >
> > Roasted Cauliflower Soup Recipe
> > By Dr. Ben Kim on October 10, 2008
> >
> > Ingredients:
> >
> > 2 heads cauliflower
> > 2 Yukon gold potatoes, roughly chopped into bite-size pieces
> > 3 garlic cloves
> > 2 shallots (or one large onion)
> > 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
> > 3 cups vegetable broth or organic chicken broth
> > 1 cup water
> > Sea salt and pepper, to taste
> >

> (more snippage)
>
> It sounds good! But two heads of cauliflower to 4 cups of liquid sounds
> like waaaay too much. Even the small heads of cauliflower I've seen lately
> were rather large.
>
> Jill

I'd probably add stock just to the desired texture.
--
Peace! Om

"He who has the gold makes the rules"
--Om

"He who has the guns can get the gold."
-- Steve Rothstein

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> jmcquown wrote:
> > Omelet wrote:
> >> Since I'm going to have a wealth of stock this week, I just may try
> >> this.
> >>
> >> Roasted Cauliflower Soup Recipe
> >> By Dr. Ben Kim on October 10, 2008
> >>
> >> Ingredients:
> >>
> >> 2 heads cauliflower
> >> 2 Yukon gold potatoes, roughly chopped into bite-size pieces
> >> 3 garlic cloves
> >> 2 shallots (or one large onion)
> >> 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
> >> 3 cups vegetable broth or organic chicken broth
> >> 1 cup water
> >> Sea salt and pepper, to taste
> >>

> > (more snippage)
> >
> > It sounds good! But two heads of cauliflower to 4 cups of liquid
> > sounds like waaaay too much. Even the small heads of cauliflower
> > I've seen lately were rather large.

> I would definitely not make two cauliflower's worth, that's
> way too much for just me, I was just going to wing it,
> quantities-wise.
>
> nancy

That is rather a lot. :-) One can cut ingredients to their personal use
preference. He's feeding a family of four I think.
--
Peace! Om

"He who has the gold makes the rules"
--Om

"He who has the guns can get the gold."
-- Steve Rothstein
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Om wrote:

>>> Roasted Cauliflower Soup Recipe
>>> By Dr. Ben Kim on October 10, 2008
>>>
>>> Ingredients:
>>>
>>> 2 heads cauliflower
>>> 2 Yukon gold potatoes, roughly chopped into bite-size pieces
>>> 3 garlic cloves
>>> 2 shallots (or one large onion)
>>> 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
>>> 3 cups vegetable broth or organic chicken broth
>>> 1 cup water
>>> Sea salt and pepper, to taste
>>>

>> (more snippage)
>>
>> It sounds good! But two heads of cauliflower to 4 cups of liquid sounds
>> like waaaay too much. Even the small heads of cauliflower I've seen
>> lately were rather large.
>>

> I'd probably add stock just to the desired texture.

I'm staying out of the stock market these days.

Bob, TOTALLY misinterpreting

Roast Cauliflower Recipe Ricavito Diabetic 15 23-12-2009 04:50 AM
Cauliflower soup Ken Knecht General Cooking 6 12-02-2007 03:37 PM
Cauliflower soup biig General Cooking 7 28-01-2007 02:59 PM
Roast Cauliflower? Sarah General Cooking 13 20-04-2005 02:57 AM
Cauliflower Soup Tess General Cooking 4 19-02-2005 10:20 AM