Old 18-04-2005, 04:00 PM
Sarah

Default Roast Cauliflower?

I saw a conversation the other day about how delicious roast cauliflower
was, well I've baught a cauli, but now what? Do I break it into florettes or
roast it whole? What about fat/liquid? Brush with butter or put some stock
in the bottom of the roasting tin? Help please!
Sarah

Old 18-04-2005, 04:45 PM
Steve Knight

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 15:00:59 GMT, "Sarah"
wrote:

I saw a conversation the other day about how delicious roast cauliflower
was, well I've baught a cauli, but now what? Do I break it into florettes or
roast it whole? What about fat/liquid? Brush with butter or put some stock
in the bottom of the roasting tin? Help please!
Sarah

cut it up in florettes or slice it so it cooks faster. about 350 degrees or it
turns dark. I toss it in olive oil and salt and pepper and fresh rosemary is
good or other seasonings. onions are good cooked with it.
I have never needed liquid.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Old 18-04-2005, 05:24 PM
AlleyGator

"Sarah" wrote:

I saw a conversation the other day about how delicious roast cauliflower
was, well I've baught a cauli, but now what? Do I break it into florettes or
roast it whole? What about fat/liquid? Brush with butter or put some stock
in the bottom of the roasting tin? Help please!
Sarah

I'll tell you how I like it the best, but it's not exactly healthy.
Boil it till it's still a little crunchy, dry it off in a towel real
well, and toss it with some flour, salt and pepper. Fry it in butter
until it browns a little bit. Listen to your arteries snap shut with
each bite.
Old 18-04-2005, 05:53 PM
Sarah

Sold, will try the seasoned flour and butter tonite, Steve's method next
week! Will let you know the results.
Sarah

Old 18-04-2005, 07:42 PM
AlleyGator

"Sarah" wrote:

Sold, will try the seasoned flour and butter tonite, Steve's method next
week! Will let you know the results.
Sarah

Bite size chunks, BTW - forgot that part.

Old 18-04-2005, 07:55 PM
Naomi

x-no-archive: yes

I think slicing it (1/4") works considerably better than florets. You
can toss with olive oil or use an oil spray and get away with very
little oil indeed, if that matters to you. Finishing with Maldon salt
and ground pepper is nice.

Old 18-04-2005, 08:24 PM
Dave Smith

Sarah wrote:

I saw a conversation the other day about how delicious roast cauliflower
was, well I've baught a cauli, but now what? Do I break it into florettes or
roast it whole? What about fat/liquid? Brush with butter or put some stock
in the bottom of the roasting tin? Help please!
Sarah

You can marinate it in yoghurt and curry powder and then roast it, or grill it.

Old 18-04-2005, 08:24 PM
walamalacalucy

"Sarah" wrote in message .uk...
I saw a conversation the other day about how delicious roast cauliflower
was, well I've baught a cauli, but now what? Do I break it into florettes or
roast it whole? What about fat/liquid? Brush with butter or put some stock
in the bottom of the roasting tin? Help please!
Sarah

break it into florets and drizzle a little cooking oil over it -then
roast. very nice.
Old 18-04-2005, 09:42 PM
Christine Dabney

wrote:

I saw a conversation the other day about how delicious roast cauliflower
was, well I've baught a cauli, but now what? Do I break it into florettes or
roast it whole? What about fat/liquid? Brush with butter or put some stock
in the bottom of the roasting tin? Help please!
Sarah

cut it up in florettes or slice it so it cooks faster. about 350 degrees or it
turns dark. I toss it in olive oil and salt and pepper and fresh rosemary is
good or other seasonings. onions are good cooked with it.
I have never needed liquid.

I roast it at 400 degrees. The brown crispy bits are just wonderful.

There has been a long running thread on roast cauliflower on eGullet.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=31042

Christine

Old 19-04-2005, 12:31 AM
Monsur Fromage du Pollet

Sarah wrote on 18 Apr 2005 in rec.food.cooking

I saw a conversation the other day about how delicious roast
cauliflower was, well I've baught a cauli, but now what? Do I
break it into florettes or roast it whole? What about fat/liquid?
Brush with butter or put some stock in the bottom of the roasting
tin? Help please! Sarah

I cut it into florets and toss it with canola oil and a pakaged taco
seasoning pouch.(the oil makes the spices stick better).

I spread it out on a cookie sheet and bake it at 400F (preheated oven)
for about 30-45 minutes or untill I like the colour it turned.

Some people prefer slices (not me).

Type 2 Diabetic Since Aug 2004
1AC- 7.2, 7.3, 5.5, 5.6 mmol
Weight from 265 down to 219 lbs. and dropping.
Continuing to be Manitoban
Old 19-04-2005, 02:47 AM
Charlotte L. Blackmer

wrote:

I saw a conversation the other day about how delicious roast cauliflower
was, well I've baught a cauli, but now what? Do I break it into florettes or
roast it whole? What about fat/liquid? Brush with butter or put some stock
in the bottom of the roasting tin? Help please!
Sarah

cut it up in florettes or slice it so it cooks faster. about 350 degrees or it
turns dark. I toss it in olive oil and salt and pepper and fresh rosemary is
good or other seasonings. onions are good cooked with it.
I have never needed liquid.

I roast it at 400 degrees. The brown crispy bits are just wonderful.

I toss the florets (sliced if needed for that extra brown crispy surface
.... yum) in a little olive oil, juice one lemon over them and toss again,
then salt and pepper. 400 F oven for ... 15-25 minutes.

I've been eating it regularly since I learned about it and I don't even
much like cauliflower.

Charlotte
Old 19-04-2005, 11:04 AM
Sarah

"Monsur Fromage du Pollet" wrote in message
Sarah wrote on 18 Apr 2005 in rec.food.cooking

I saw a conversation the other day about how delicious roast
cauliflower was, well I've baught a cauli, but now what? Do I
break it into florettes or roast it whole? What about fat/liquid?
Brush with butter or put some stock in the bottom of the roasting
tin? Help please! Sarah

I cut it into florets and toss it with canola oil and a pakaged taco
seasoning pouch.(the oil makes the spices stick better).

I spread it out on a cookie sheet and bake it at 400F (preheated oven)
for about 30-45 minutes or untill I like the colour it turned.

Some people prefer slices (not me).

Type 2 Diabetic Since Aug 2004
1AC- 7.2, 7.3, 5.5, 5.6 mmol
Weight from 265 down to 219 lbs. and dropping.
Continuing to be Manitoban

Well the roast Cauliflower went well, the crispy bits were great, going to
try Katra's mashed one next it sounds delicious!
Sarah

Old 20-04-2005, 02:57 AM
Charlotte L. Blackmer

Dog3 wrote:
(Charlotte L. Blackmer) typed this gem in
:

In article ,
Christine Dabney wrote:

I roast it at 400 degrees. The brown crispy bits are just wonderful.

I toss the florets (sliced if needed for that extra brown crispy
surface ... yum) in a little olive oil, juice one lemon over them and
toss again, then salt and pepper. 400 F oven for ... 15-25 minutes.

I've been eating it regularly since I learned about it and I don't
even much like cauliflower.

Cauliflower was on sale yesterday at Dierbergs. I bought 2 nice sized heads
and roasted one of them. I roasted them as you did above and they were
delicious. The SO even had 2 helping and he is NOT someone that likes
cauliflower unless it is buried in a cheese sauce. I am pleased, I have
found a way to serve it more often. Thanks all for the ideas and tips.

Michael thinks the crunchy bits on the cauliflower were fantastic

I usually eat the whole head. By myself. In one sitting.

I think the lemon counteracts the cabbagey taste that boiled cauliflower
gets. (I'm not a big cabbage fan.)

If it's "supper" I might grate some Parmesan over it, but it's optional as
far as I am concerned.

Charlotte